• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

I thought my control problems were due simply to the design of the PS3 controller, which I detest for first-person shooters.

It's a damn shame, because the game really does deliver in terms of visuals, set pieces, and enemy AI.

Has anyone tried playing the game with an Xbox360 controller adapter?

Haunted

jett said:
I quit at the beginning of Suljeva Village...3.5 hours in. :/
Welp,
I wanted to encourage you that there was another cool setting waiting if you hadn't reached the badlands yet.
I won't tell you how far you are along exactly, read only if you want to know -
bit over halfway done.

methane47

Rapping Granny said:
This is how I feel right now, it's alright but nothing amazing so far, 24% done.

I am playing on Veteran as my first playthrough and want to say that Garza can go fuck himself real hard. WTF is up with your teammates not doing anything, not shooting anything and only asking to be revived like little bitches.

LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL :lol :lol

I'm Laughing because you are gonna kill yourself when you team up with Rico in possibly one of the hardest FPS lvls of all time

You know I didn't feel I had to revive the teammates as much as some people claim. Sure in the long fights they died but never constantly.

Wonder if that will be tweaked in a patch, they can do that right?

Seems to be the biggest issue with SP for a lot of people.

Shinraven

Raist said:
You thought Garza was bad? Just wait to see Rico in action. I wanted to punch him so hard at a certain point.

i lul hard :lol the game is fun but seriously my characters AI just need to be more fierce. somewhat unrealistic them getting hit and standing there for repeated bullet hits. duck motherf#cka ! stop asking me to revive you. hehe.

awesome graphics, great sounds, explosion to die for, cool game. I do wish the controls were a bit tighter but getting used to them. I cant pin point what it is....just off a bit. I even tried to increase sensitivity.

The credits sequence is sooooooo cool... wow. i need to watch that again.

Im enjoying this one and to break to I play mlb09 hehe, my ps3 is getting some love finally. I havent touched my 360 poor thing hehe. :lol

Haunted

Rico talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, imo.

Natko is a complete asshole personality-wise, but he knows how to use that shotty at least. :D

God getting the repair ability is such a bitch. They need to increase the damage the turrets do. You should not be able to run right up to a turret and survive.

tribal24

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
God getting the repair ability is such a bitch. They need to increase the damage the turrets do. You should not be able to run right up to a turret and survive.

i think the damage is fine it just that the turrrets need to be more aware

DoomGyver

Hellsing321 said:
You think that is hard? Wait until you work on the ATACs.

waste.of.time.

dralla

Hellsing321 said:

it's not that tough, when it's your turn to defend place a couple near the planting area, not in the middle of an open space though, a corner, somewhere it's hard for someone to take them out.

the sentry bot one is nearly impossible :[

Damn getting the "Professional" trophy is gonna be tough as shit, everytime I shoot them in the head I knock their helmets out first and then I gotta shoot them again in the head and the trophy description says: "Get 3 headshots in a row using the same clip of M4 Revolver ammunition"....

Has anyone got this? If so, how did you do it?

DoomGyver

AranhaHunter said:
Damn getting the "Professional" trophy is gonna be tough as shit, everytime I shoot them in the head I knock their helmets out first and then I gotta shoot them again in the head and the trophy description says: "Get 3 headshots in a row using the same clip of M4 Revolver ammunition"....

Has anyone got this? If so, how did you do it?
knock the helmets off first, reload, then take them out.

EazyB

Banned
professor_t said:
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I too would like to know this. I've been strongly thinking about getting one just for this game.
I've only had the game for a day but I've been using the 360 controller adapter the whole time. I played the demo quite a bit with the DS3 and didn't like how the controller felt and the aiming was more problematic than I felt it should have been. With the 360 controller it feels a little more "normal" but the aiming is still different. I feel like I've had a lot more success with the 360 controller and find my accuracy in going for headshots to be a lot better. Absolutely no drawbacks other than having to reassign contollers to a DS3 in order to get past the gimmicky valve turning stuff.

Alias03

Full Recovery said:
You think that is hard? Wait until you work on the ATACs.

waste.of.time.

Trying to do that right now and I'm pretty sure that I will hang myself before I get that damn medal!

Jtrizzy

professor_t said:
I thought my control problems were due simply to the design of the PS3 controller, which I detest for first-person shooters.

It's a damn shame, because the game really does deliver in terms of visuals, set pieces, and enemy AI.

it's not the controller. COD4 on ps3 was fine. Shooters are fine generally with the DS3 as long as aim and shoot are L1/R1. TBH, I'm having some trouble with the controls in close quarters situations. I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks though, I've been waiting for this game for way too long to give up. (I've put about 4 hours into the MP)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
noire said:
Got online for a little bit. Got my ass handed to me with a quickness. Still not used to the look sensitivity.

Where do you set the crouch toggle? I didn't see it in the MP options menu.
It shows up under options when in a Skirmish/Warzone game. Uncheck the Crouch Hold box.

raYne

Raist said:
That was a fucking joke :lol

For some reason, most of the time when I walk across a teammate, I think "This dude is FR disguised". And it never fails. Now I guess I should shoot on sight everytime I see a team mate :lol
You know, you could just glance at the radar to double check if it is indeed a teammate. Dot: Teammate. No dot: Shoot 'em.

Since there's a reasonable range, you can figure it out from afar.

Nafai1123

Banned
Hellsing321 said:

tribal24 said:

I think it's a little bit of both. People talk about getting head shotted by the turrets all the time, but I have yet to have this happen. Personally, I would prefer if a turret was entirely capable of taking out a person in a 1vs1 battle and required more tactfulness in order to defeat it. As it stands right now, whenever I see an enemy turret I usually just run straight up to it guns blazing until it blows up and I have yet to be killed in the process. I think GG needs to do one of the following.
A. Increase the rate of fire/accuracy
B. Increase the damage a turret can withstand
C. Increase the damage each bullet deals
I want to actually be INTIMIDATED when I see an enemy turret, not just annoyed that it's there...

Dementia

Fuck you comcast!

I swear that's got to be the 15th time a game has quit on me because of a failed connection. Damn them, this shit is serious business!

Proc said:
Isn't all you need is a friend to leave his ps3 on and join his game?
Just check to see if there's a guy with 4 kills and 600 deaths.:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got over 400 xp today...so proud of myself. lol. I got medic AND the healthpack. I wub being a medic :D

Nafai1123 said:
I think it's a little bit of both. People talk about getting head shotted by the turrets all the time, but I have yet to have this happen. Personally, I would prefer if a turret was entirely capable of taking out a person in a 1vs1 battle and required more tactfulness in order to defeat it. As it stands right now, whenever I see an enemy turret I usually just run straight up to it guns blazing until it blows up and I have yet to be killed in the process. I think GG needs to do one of the following.
I want to actually be INTIMIDATED when I see an enemy turret, not just annoyed that it's there...

I think the AI is really all that need tuning. Perhaps a bit more health.

Rate of fire, accuracy and damage seems pretty good to me.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Dementia said:
Fuck you comcast!

I swear that's got to be the 15th time a game has quit on me because of a failed connection. Damn them, this shit is serious business!

If you are kicked off PSN then it's Comcast's fault. If you are kicked off because of a Network Error: 8013 yet still remain online, it's Killzone's fault and you're gonna have to pray the next patch fixes the issue or we're fucked!

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY THIS GAME. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Just put the game in for the first time. 1.11 patch required to play. OK, cool, let's download that.

Wait, no. "A server error has occurred. HTTP Status Code: 400"

Happens every time I try to run the game. What the hell is this? Guess I'm not playing Killzone 2 tonight. And people bitch about having to pay for Xbox Live...

rexor0717

Me and my friend worked together to get the repair ability just because the turrets are so useless and would never get close to 5 kills. So now I have repair.
Also, the shotgun is a broken weapon. L1 for the lock-on is ridiculous. You literally do not have to aim with it.

Full Recovery said:
knock the helmets off first, reload, then take them out.

Fuck that's gonna be a pain, what's the best area of the game to do that in your opinion? And if I miss a headshot I might as well start over right? That is I can only take 3 shots once I get the first headshot, anything more will not count

Jtrizzy said:
it's not the controller. COD4 on ps3 was fine. Shooters are fine generally with the DS3 as long as aim and shoot are L1/R1. TBH, I'm having some trouble with the controls in close quarters situations. I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks though, I've been waiting for this game for way too long to give up. (I've put about 4 hours into the MP)

Alternate 2 option is L1 Zoom R1 Shoot

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
tribal24 said:

Nah, their firing pattern just makes it super easy to take out. They fire in short bursts that are prolonged, so you can listen, pop out shoot, and go back.

Spawn grenades need to be fixed. It's fucking jarring when a match goes from awesome and tactical, to wee clusterfuck and luck. It ends up being who forgets to throw a spawn grenade first, really.

And yeah, I've said it before, and I'm not one to hate on people who aren't great at games, but outright stupidity and dead weight really blows. Half the games up right now are all Bodycount, if you want that by all means go play it, but seeing objective based games with your team as a whole completely ignoring the point is a serious downer.

And yeah, I wish PS3 had party chat. I pray that the firmware update rumor is true. Badly. I've had a few laughs but overall what seldom cool people you get that aren't in your squad isn't worth hearing dumb, take shit too seriously immature kids. If I hear HAHA GOT YOU U SUCK DIX IMMA TEABAG YOU NOW HAHAHA again... well, I still probably won't care much and will just snap back with something less childish, but still, I could do without it, especially considering I play with friends most of the time. Conclusion: I should join more GAF games. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rudds said:
Just put the game in for the first time. 1.11 patch required to play. OK, cool, let's download that.

Happens every time I try to run the game. What the hell is this? Guess I'm not playing Killzone 2 tonight. And people bitch about having to pay for Xbox Live...
You don't pay to download patches on Xbox Live Silver.

Unplug your PS3 from your network if you want to play the SP. It sounds like the patch server is down.

rudds said:

Have you disabled media server in the PS3 settings?

Patches have issue with me unless I have it disabled.

EazyB said:
I've only had the game for a day but I've been using the 360 controller adapter the whole time. I played the demo quite a bit with the DS3 and didn't like how the controller felt and the aiming was more problematic than I felt it should have been. With the 360 controller it feels a little more "normal" but the aiming is still different. I feel like I've had a lot more success with the 360 controller and find my accuracy in going for headshots to be a lot better. Absolutely no drawbacks other than having to reassign contollers to a DS3 in order to get past the gimmicky valve turning stuff.

Might be worth it. You have to be using a wired controller, right?

Zeliard

rexor0717 said:
Me and my friend worked together to get the repair ability just because the turrets are so useless and would never get close to 5 kills. So now I have repair.
Also, the shotgun is a broken weapon. L1 for the lock-on is ridiculous. You literally do not have to aim with it.

The shotgun's auto-aim is something that should have seen an instant patch.

Dementia

pelicansurf said:
If you are kicked off PSN then it's Comcast's fault. If you are kicked off because of a Network Error: 8013 yet still remain online, it's Killzone's fault and you're gonna have to pray the next patch fixes the issue or we're fucked!
When it happens I get logged out of PSN entirely. And it's happened when I'm running ethernet or wireless.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY THIS GAME. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Ugh, I know. It's consuming my week. I'm not sure what's going to happen to me when spring break is over and I have to start doing work again. =(

Wallach

Nafai1123 said:

Weird, I don't think the turrets need nearly as much help as that. I've been playing mostly Engineer, and on average I'd say my turrets are 20-25 pts per match. That is a solid contribution. I think they could stand to be more durable, but I certainly do not want to see TF2 style turrets in this game either.

They also definitely get headshots, but like I mentioned a few pages back you need to give them a height advantage to see it regularly. Level turrets are not going to get headshots unless the target is crouching. The turrets themselves have a pretty long range so finding elevated platforms for them isn't generally too hard.

Jtrizzy

So weird with the online problems. Two times I've not been able to get on the servers on my first try, other than that, I've never had a game freeze, nor have I been booted from a game. I use charter cable...Hell I was playing in an Australian server the other night for quite a while and there was no lag or anything.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm on my elite run right now, I found out (sorry if old)
that on the train level, when rico tells you to get on the turret, if you don't and just proceed to go forward you'll get way less helghasts and on the next section with the tank you have to blow up just run back, get on that same turret and wait for them to show up and kick their ass, sooo easy :p

hteng

Banned
rexor0717 said:

wait what? i thought L1 is just turning on the head lights for the shotgun?

Haunted

alba said:
I'm on my elite run right now, I found out (sorry if old)
that on the train level, when rico tells you to get on the turret, if you don't and just proceed to go forward you'll get way less helghasts and on the next section with the tank you have to blow up just run back, get on that same turret and wait for them to show up and kick their ass, sooo easy :p
:eek:

Motherfucker, if only you posted that a couple hours earlier, Rico's incompetence in that section gave me huge problems.

rudds

MvmntInGrn said:
Have you disabled media server in the PS3 settings?

Patches have issue with me unless I have it disabled.

Sadly, that didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. Lovely, on the one night I had free to play this week.

rudds

Jtrizzy said:
So weird with the online problems. Two times I've not been able to get on the servers on my first try, other than that, I've never had a game freeze, nor have I been booted from a game. I use charter cable...Hell I was playing in an Australian server the other night for quite a while and there was no lag or anything.

When was the last time a major online-enabled PS3 game launched without incident?

bigswords

Y2Kev said:
You don't pay to download patches on Xbox Live Silver.

Unplug your PS3 from your network if you want to play the SP. It sounds like the patch server is down.

Sorry is there patch out today?

Does it fix the saboteur freeze?

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:
So there is a GAF tourny Thursday, how does that work? do we just show up?

GAF east better be registered. And someone better be ready to spectate and record the hell out of the matches.

Top Bottom