• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

lawblob said:
Man I was on fire this morning. I was either 1st or 2nd ranked player on my team 5 games in a row. I can't believe how bad a lot of the random players are at this game. I can't remember the last time I saw so much idiotic behavior in an FPS. Planting spawn points in the absolute worst location, running directly into cross-fire, blatantly running past enemies who shoot you in the back, using grenades incorrectly, walking directly in front of you while you have a solid line of fire, etc. :lol

Oh well, at least I am ranking up pretty fast.

I hate the fact that alot of players ignore the gametype and treat each new change as team deathmatch.

-viper-

Banned
Ilparazzo said:
Wasn't it you who I blew up with a rocket when we were playing 2 vs 2 the other day? I was like "Ooooh, so this is what happens when friendly fire is on", so much fun :lol
On Pyhrus Rising? Yeah lol. I'm VlPER9.

But FF is most annoying when playing large groups, especially in Search and Destroy.

I also team kill quite a lot myself >_>.

KZObsessed

FF is great. All they had to do was change it so that you only do half the amount of damage to allies than enemies and it would've been fine. It was too easy to kill teammates in the Beta and that would have solved it. Now everyone sprays like idiots, and lob grenades whenever they want. FF made things way more intense and made you use some inteligence and control. Now people are used to not having it on so when it is on it fucks up your game. Shame.

Crackers

Neo Member
fistfulofmetal said:
the middle difficulty.
i'm pretty shocked i'm already this far. it really does feel like i'm at the first section of the game but I'm not

I think playing on trooper is a bit too easy, hence how quickly you're progressing. You've still got the best levels to come though.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Wait people are actually mapping their controllers for shooting with the triggers? WTH!:lol

L1/R1 are your best friend. It also feels alot better to grenade with R2...springiness effect.

-viper-

Banned
FFObsessed said:
FF is great. All they had to do was change it so that you only do half the amount of damage to allies than enemies and it would've been fine. It was too easy to kill teammates in the Beta and that would have solved it. Now everyone sprays like idiots, and lob grenades whenever they want. FF made things way more intense and made you use some inteligence and control. Now people are used to not having it on so when it is on it fucks up your game. Shame.
Half damage would be better.

But usually most people end up team killing each other.

Barrett2

gregor7777 said:
Do you have a Linksys router by any chance?

When I set up my PS3, I was constantly being kicked off PSN. I was about to blame Comcast/PSN, because Live works wonderfully, and I have three other clients on my network that work fine.

I found a post somewhere that mentioned that certain Linksys routers have an issue with PSN causing drops. Something with the Linksys standard firmware.

I flashed my router with a custom firmware (which I should have done anyways, it's MUCH better) and in about 5 minutes I haven't had a single drop in two weeks.

I can hunt down the links if you want to try it.

Edit: darn, dp

Holy crap, I need the same kind of help! I have a Netgear router and Comcast service, but the same thing happens to me constantly. I am constantly getting momentarily disconnected. I am not very tech savvy, but I am really desperate to fix this now that I am playing long games of KZ2 all day long. I can't stand it any more.

Its not just my PS3 that disconnects, my laptop loses signal momentarily at the same time my PS3 does, so its not just a PS3 problem.

Doc Evils said:
If PSN disconnects it usually means your router has problems. Happened to me and I changed mine to a new non-isp given one.

Actually, it means PSN has issues with your router. See the last post on the last page. Works like a charm.

And like I said, no other network had an issue with my router except PSN. Luckily there's an easy fix.

lawblob said:
Holy crap, I need the same kind of help! I have a Netgear router and Comcast service, but the same thing happens to me constantly. I am constantly getting momentarily disconnected. I am not very tech savvy, but I am really desperate to fix this now that I am playing long games of KZ2 all day long. I can't stand it any more.

Its not just my PS3 that disconnects, my laptop loses signal momentarily at the same time my PS3 does, so its not just a PS3 problem.

Firmware and instruction page

Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

The interface has so many more and better options than the standard firmware. I haven't had a single drop since the upgrade.

EDIT: Not sure if it works for other brands besides linksys, you'll have to check the supported hardware DB.

-viper-

Banned
lawblob said:

This. I too would like some custom firmware or whatever. I've got a Netgear DG834PN router.

edit: nvm. My router isn't on the list :\

ravien56

hey I'm just wondering something I've been playing for 2 hrs now and I still can't change my stupid class what level can you change classes?

F#A#Oo said:
Wait people are actually mapping their controllers for shooting with the triggers? WTH!:lol

L1/R1 are your best friend. It also feels alot better to grenade with R2...springiness effect.

Shooting with shoulder buttons feels so damned awkward...is it a Playstation thing that people are used to shooting with shoulder buttons?

Triggers are the most natural way to map shooting and zooming, IMO. They are triggers after all. :)

Pojo

Banned
I PLAYED A GAME WITH FRIENDLY FIRE.

Never again. You can't just throw grenades like a mad man without wiping out your entire team. And the worst part is when you run up the stairs to go help someone out and they blast you right in the face with a shotgun instinctively. I am NOT trecking halfway across the map to help you again.

Q-bert

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Doc Evils said:
If PSN disconnects it usually means your router has problems. Happened to me and I changed mine to a new non-isp given one.

Actually, it means PSN has issues with your router. See the last post on the last page. Works like a charm.

And like I said, no other network had an issue with my router except PSN. Luckily there's an easy fix.

No, it actually means that your router has issues.

PSN didn't reinvent IP.

And just because you have some IP software or appliance that happens to work, doesn't mean your router doesn't have issues.

Glad reflashing your firmware fixed your router for you though.

jjasper

We have not stopped looking into the complaints and will see what we can do about it. Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though. Any potential changes would not be sweeping and we’d do our best to ensure they do not negatively affect anyone not having problems.

I agree that it will have to be handled carefully but I am glad they are looking into fixing it.

gregor7777 said:
Shooting with shoulder buttons feels so damned awkward...is it a Playstation thing that people are used to shooting with shoulder buttons?
Yeah I think it is. Most of the big releases have had R1 mapped to shooting since launch. I finally got used to R2 as the trigger playing Bioshock last year and kinda prefer it now. If you do like R2 I high suggest these they really make a difference.

Q-bert said:
No, it actually means that your router has issues.

PSN didn't reinvent IP.

And just because you have some IP software or appliance that happens to work, doesn't mean your router doesn't have issues.

Glad reflashing your firmware fixed your router for you though.

OK, perhaps I worded that wrong. Most networks don't have issues with the standard firmware, at least most mainstream networks, except PSN.

Making it a near-PSN exclusive issue. Causing people to upgrade/replace their routers for PSN.

No need to get snotty, I know a bit about TCP/IP and networking. I'm a server admin among other jobs.

Barrett2

So whats up with the shotgun auto-aim? I haven't even looked at the options for that kind of thing, but I am get destroyed by shotguns constantly. Why would that even be an option?

Tom Penny

Am I crazy or is there really know way to determine ahead of time (before I join a server)the round time limit , how many kill need if deathmatch, if friendly fire is on, average ping etc... That would be helpful.

Facism

FFObsessed said:
Found a bodycount game that's Saluman Market only <3

God i love that map. I was an engineer on it yesterday and went Sniper hunting. Such an easy map to flank them on, it's unbelievable. Hearing them whine when the take a shotgun to the back of the head is priceless :D

-viper-

Banned
Pojo said:
I PLAYED A GAME WITH FRIENDLY FIRE.

Never again. You can't just throw grenades like a mad man without wiping out your entire team. And the worst part is when you run up the stairs to go help someone out and they blast you right in the face with a shotgun instinctively. I am NOT trecking halfway across the map to help you again.
Fo' real. Same has happened to me.

Insane Metal said:
So are you guys really enjoying the game? :D

Definitely. MP that is. At this point I couldn't care less about the single player. That's par for the course for me though, I didn't play SP in CoD4 for like 2 months after I bought the game.

poweld

So I just ordered a couple pairs of those "Real Triggers" from Amazon. Just wondering- will this help cure the terrible "aching claw" feeling I get in my fingers/hands after playing this game for a while?

I know the pain is definitely caused by the constant use of the triggers, I'm just not sure whether these are going to help. Here's to hoping..

poweld

gregor7777 said:
Definitely. MP that is. At this point I couldn't care less about the single player. That's par for the course for me though, I didn't play SP in CoD4 for like 2 months after I bought the game.
Heh, yeah, I got up to general in the MP before I dropped into the SP. After 1.5 chapters, I think I'll take another break from it. :)

It's not bad, I just don't quite care as much about it, cause the MP is really fantastic!

andycapps

Finally got ranked up to where I can be a medic now. Played a couple games as medic last night after I ranked up and enjoyed it. Was unable to join any of the GAF games that I saw people in that were online at the time. Should have just started another GAF server, I guess, but just ended up doing a quick join and playing a few games with random people. It's easier for me to rank up in non-GAF games. :lol

poweld said:
So I just ordered a couple pairs of those "Real Triggers" from Amazon. Just wondering- will this help cure the terrible "aching claw" feeling I get in my fingers/hands after playing this game for a while?

I know the pain is definitely caused by the constant use of the triggers, I'm just not sure whether these are going to help. Here's to hoping..

No, the claw-like extremity you see at the end of your arm is now your mark of pride/shame as a gamer. Nothing can be done. Move on into acceptance.

lunlunqq

FF was on by default in the beta. i like it that way. now most games in small maps are clusterfucks... nade and rocket spamming everywhere... :(

cakefoo

Just melee'd Rico into this:

e96vch.jpg
- "Help me muthafuckaaa!"

fux8pz.jpg

jjve5d.jpg

34qo40z.jpg

240yydl.jpg
2zz7uit.jpg

Dunlop

gregor7777 said:
OK, perhaps I worded that wrong. Most networks don't have issues with the standard firmware, at least most mainstream networks, except PSN.

Making it a near-PSN exclusive issue. Causing people to upgrade/replace their routers for PSN.

No need to get snotty, I know a bit about TCP/IP and networking. I'm a server admin among other jobs.

this.

I have gone through 2 different routers, I still constantly lose connections to PSN and my local media servers (I've done DCHP, static IP, blah blah). Wired or wireless

Wheras at the same time my laptop,Wii,2 360's and PSP will still be fine

My router was a linksys and now a D-Link, I think I have to point the problem with the PS3 at this point....

gregor7777 said:
Do you have a Linksys router by any chance?

When I set up my PS3, I was constantly being kicked off PSN. I was about to blame Comcast/PSN, because Live works wonderfully, and I have three other clients on my network that work fine.

I found a post somewhere that mentioned that certain Linksys routers have an issue with PSN causing drops. Something with the Linksys standard firmware.

I flashed my router with a custom firmware (which I should have done anyways, it's MUCH better) and in about 5 minutes I haven't had a single drop in two weeks.

I can hunt down the links if you want to try it.

Edit: darn, dp
Hmm i was wondering, would you say having a linksys wired router would cause my internet speed on my ps3 to be a fair amount slower than what my internet is on my pc?

I have Virgin's 20MB broadband and for some reason i dont know if its meant to be like it but when i download from the ps3 its at least half the speed as what my pc does and the biggest issue is problems with certain games online features.

Nearly all games work perfectly but the main one i do have problems with is LBP, i know its online is pretty bad but it just never seems to connect to other players which means i cant really go after the multi player items or trophies. I have my router set to DMZ, UPNP enabled, Nat type 3 so i dont know what the problem could be?

Would you suggest getting a different firmware like you did? TBH i didnt realise you could get CFW for routers so if so where would you think would be the best place to look?

Thanks for any help.

oneHeero

lawblob said:
So whats up with the shotgun auto-aim? I haven't even looked at the options for that kind of thing, but I am get destroyed by shotguns constantly. Why would that even be an option?
Seems to be a glitch, GG already confirmed they are fixing it. When you have the shotgun just use L1 to aim and it acts as a aimbot.

Also, lots of people love playing as engineers due to planting the sentries(i love it) so thats why you see a lot of shotguns. I use it but I dont L1, in gaf games I try not to use it as much but its fun and I die a lot when I use it so its proof I'm not taking advantage of the L1 aim.

Havent found my gun though, all of them feel different, SMG is so hard to control.

RavenFox

Banned
Doc Evils said:
pretty much

gamerecks said:
I hate the fact that alot of players ignore the gametype and treat each new change as team deathmatch.
Or the guy on your team that's targeted for assasination runs into damn battle instead of staying put and letting me and 'ol painless' [aka.HGH StA-3 LMG] do the protecting.

Dirtyshubb said:
Hmm i was wondering, would you say having a linksys wired router would cause my internet speed on my ps3 to be a fair amount slower than what my internet is on my pc?

I have Virgin's 20MB broadband and for some reason i dont know if its meant to be like it but when i download from the ps3 its at least half the speed as what my pc does and the biggest issue is problems with certain games online features.

Nearly all games work perfectly but the main one i do have problems with is LBP, i know its online is pretty bad but it just never seems to connect to other players which means i cant really go after the multi player items or trophies. I have my router set to DMZ, UPNP enabled, Nat type 3 so i dont know what the problem could be?

Would you suggest getting a different firmware like you did? TBH i didnt realise you could get CFW for routers so if so where would you think would be the best place to look?

Thanks for any help.

Yeah, look above a few posts for the firmware links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14993183&postcount=12412

My speed was miserable when I was connected to PSN. Then it would drop.

After the upgrade my speeds are about what my Live speeds are.

EDIT:

Just to outline the instructions:

1. Downalod the files once you've located the correct ones from the hardware DB
  2. Install the "prep" firmware through the interface on the router. It will have a place to upload the firmware file.
  3. Power cycle
  4. Upload the 'killer' firmware into the new interface you will be presented with after the power cycle.
  5. Wait for the 'Success' message, then unplug the router and plug it back in
  6. Install the TFTP program on your PC you downloaded earlier
  7. Tell the TFTP program where to find the final WRT firmware you want to upload, and give it the routers IP addy (usually 192.168.1.1)
  8. Allow it a few minutes to do it's thing, it will power cycle on its own
  9. ??
  10. Profit

It's pretty easy, but don't go by my instructions. use the ones on the site, this is just to give you an idea of what you're doing and it's going by memory. :) It will take all of like 3 minutes.

Here are the instruction I used for my WRT54GS v5.

andycapps

oneHeero said:
Havent found my gun though, all of them feel different, SMG is so hard to control.

Agree with that. I ranked up to where I have the medic badge now, so obviously I have access to an SMG and shotgun. The SMG is nice because of the rate of fire, but it's hard to get kills on it due to the amount of recoil and how low powered it is. I ended up switching back to the Helghast assault rifle. Love that gun due to how powerful it is and being semi accurate at long range. For Pyrhhus (sp?) Rise, I usually switch to the ISA assault rifle, but I'm not as big of a fan of it.

Obviously for medic, you can only use the assault rifles anyway so it's a moot point. :D

-viper-

Banned
RavenFox said:
pretty much

Or the guy on your team that's targeted for assasination runs into damn battle instead of staying put and letting me and 'ol painless' [aka.HGH StA-3 LMG] do the protecting.
I've got a crap router. What is a good router to get with built in ADSL Broadband?

Mik2121

adversesolutions said:
God it's like pulling teeth to get to Sergeant Major here in Japan. Lag is SO bad to Asia and US, I just get killed unless my opponent is pretty distracted.

Japan-side matches only rarely pop up and some are rank-restricted. Whack.
I'm General already and I'm playing from Osaka, Japan. And I've got no lag at all, uhm...

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, look above a few posts for the firmware links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14993183&postcount=12412

My speed was miserable when I was connected to PSN. Then it would drop.

After the upgrade my speeds are about what my Live speeds are.
Thanks a lot :D Gonna have to check all this out when i leave work in about 15 minutes.

Its just annoying as im used to having really fast speeds on my pc yet i cant connect to other sackboys :(

KZObsessed

Facism said:
God i love that map. I was an engineer on it yesterday and went Sniper hunting. Such an easy map to flank them on, it's unbelievable. Hearing them whine when the take a shotgun to the back of the head is priceless :D

The map is one of the best designed I've ever seen. There's so many ways to flank, so many open areas and choke points. It's pretty much symmetrical so it's well balanced automatically. Great sniping positions and many ways to counter. It feels like they've meticulously placed every pillar to block certain angles for sniping. So I have to move out a little to get a clear line of sight on an enemies and in the process exposing myself in some way. (lol)

It's the perfect sniper map, but also tons of fun if you're not a sniper. It's actually the map that's easiest to get a jump on a sniper an take him out. Even Search & Destroy is fun because the objectives are right out in the open. It's perfect.

And I tell you what, there is nothing as fun as having a great game as a sniper, especially on Saluman Market. You simply have to look upon a group of enemies and they fall dead! It makes you feel like a god! Just looking down my scope at someone with a shotgun must be like how god feels when he looks upon the cockroaches of this world!

Yeah, I need to take a break from this game...

Dirtyshubb said:
Thanks a lot :D Gonna have to check all this out when i leave work in about 15 minutes.

Its just annoying as im used to having really fast sppeds on my pc yet i cant connect to other sackboys :(

No prob...it was really frustrating until I found what the issue was.

KZObsessed

ChrisGoldstein said:
What's the best game type to gain xp in mp?

Body count aint helping me too much, it takes forever to rank up in body count.

If you get the bodycount medal so you get +3 points per kill. You'll be a General in 2-3 days.

icechai

ChrisGoldstein said:
What's the best game type to gain xp in mp?

Body count aint helping me too much, it takes forever to rank up in body count.

stay in the green area and complete objectives assuming your team isn't spawn camping them, in which case just kill a lot. Also engineers gain points from repairing stuff as well as getting the occassional turret kill, and medics gain points from rezing people.

Zeliard

cyberheater said:
From the Killzone forum...

Network Errors/Honor Ranks
We are also looking at fixing a good bunch of the network errors and are looking into the complaints about the Honor Ranks as well as a couple of other bits and pieces. We’ll provide a list of fixes when we are close to releasing the patch.

So glad they're doing something about this. I've been straying away from the otherwise excellent multiplayer lately because I get fucking disconnected from almost every match, making it impossible to rank up with any sort of quickness, or even at all.

Top Bottom