• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Ephemeris

FFObsessed said:
haha nice.

The end cutscene was amazing. It left you satisfied but wanting more. That's exactly how you should do a
cliffhanger
, if you really must do one at all...

I've said it before but I'll say it again:

I love teh Cox.

Yeah. As I said earlier in the thread: here's to hoping they re-use some assets and churn out a K3 within two years. :( Curse you, 'next-gen' development time.

Oh, According to Killzone.com, this is my weapon stats. Probably give some insight into my play-style. Interested to see what you guys have.

ISA Revolver kills: 74
ISA Assault Rifle kills: 165
ISA Frag Grenade kills: 58
ISA Knife kills: 124 <-- Oh yeah. I go there. I got safari hunter and the 75 knife stuff before the end of my 1st playthrough.
Helghast StA18 Pistol kills: Zero. <--- :lol Revolver or Bust.
Total number of helmets popped : 218
Total number of headshots: 250

Pretty much reflective of 1 veteran playthrough and a couple levels of elite. All this talk makes me wanna head back in. Fuck it. Back to the desert I go.

FFObsessed said:
Wait... the debris is cleared away and you can get to where they're entering the room at that point? Goddamn, didn't notice. That would have made the very last part quite a bit easier :lol

Yeah, found out after dying several times while trying to find decent "hiding" spots. While over there, someone flanked me from that area. As I moved out I saw there was a clear path. Only took a few tries from there lol.

Zeliard said:
What do you mean?

You know, where the player turns the corner and pumps the surprised Helghast full of lead and each bullet causes the enemy to move in a different direction. Watch the E3 07 vid, hell it was probably the most GIF'd thing ever.

KZObsessed

My most used weapon the first time through on veteran was the SMG. Never usually care for SMGs in shooters, but this one is the best ever. If you really want to see the Helghast's hit response system, use that weapon. It's so satisfying. Probably the most satisfying kills in a shooter I've ever had. I watch people play the game, my brother for example, and they're slowly popping out of cover and picking people off from long range and I just think to myself: "how boring!"

I used cover to move quickly from place to place, get up close and pump a shit ton of bullets into their chests. Now THAT is fun! Ok, that's it I'm playing the single player again tomorrow. :p

I'll play on normal so there's no frustration, only killing. With crosshair, HUD everything off of course. :D

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Finished it just now. Loved it
until I had to face this cheap bastard at the end. The whole battle pissed me off.

jsrv

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Events/Promotions/354

* Day 1: Max number of Helghast killed by a single grenade
* Day 2: Total Number of helmets popped
* Day 3: Least time taken to kill Radec
* Day 4: Total amount of Boltgun Kills
* Day 5: Most Assassinations
* Day 6: Highest Kill ratio
* Day 7: Most revives performed
* Day 8: Highest All Weapon Accuracy
* Day 9: Most spawn deploys
* Day 10: Best sniper Accuracy
* Day 11: Highest killingspree
* Day 12: Most headshots
* Day 13: Most Games Lost
* Day 14: Most games played as ISA
I completely forgot about this

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So.. how do i check the stuff ive unlocked at Killzone.com ? v_v

Flunkie said:
I'm already sick of turrets and rockets.

I'm sick of the smaller maps where everyone throws spawn points in the center and it's just one big cluster fuck. REALLY annoying especially when you can't move and you can't see thanks to all the smoke.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RoboPlato said:
You need to upload your campaign stats from the campaign menu. It should say upload to killzone.com
Ok, i did that... and i cant see anything different in killzone.com >_<

EDIT:I tried again and it works @_@

punkypine

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'm sick of the smaller maps where everyone throws spawn points in the center and it's just one big cluster fuck. REALLY annoying especially when you can't move and you can't see thanks to all the smoke.
dont use the spawns that people lay out, come from the outside and sweep it up?

Fersis

RoboPlato said:
It probably just takes a while to show up. The site has been slow as hell the past few days.
Looks like is working now, the stats too!

Current Rank: Private
Total points: 29
Points needed for next rank: 1

I only played 1 online match! This weekend im gonna play online so much. :D

Lion Heart said:
You know, where the player turns the corner and pumps the surprised Helghast full of lead and each bullet causes the enemy to move in a different direction. Watch the E3 07 vid, hell it was probably the most GIF'd thing ever.
That's still in the game. Get right up on a Helghast and empty a clip into them--they spazz out like a crack-addled marionette.

You just don't see it very much because unless he's the only guy around, running into the open like that gets you killed. Typically in SP your targets are distant and you hit them with short bursts or headshots, so they don't have reason to do the tarantella. If you want to see it, though, it's still in there.

cryptic

Liabe Brave said:
That's still in the game. Get right up on a Helghast and empty a clip into them--they spazz out like a crack-addled marionette.

You just don't see it very much because unless he's the only guy around, running into the open like that gets you killed. Typically in SP your targets are distant and you hit them with short bursts or headshots, so they don't have reason to do the tarantella. If you want to see it, though, it's still in there.

That exact sequence he's referring to is in there.

Zeliard

Lion Heart said:

I figured that's what you were talking about, just wanted clarification.

And it definitely does still happen in the game, though it isn't very frequent. They've probably tweaked the hit-detection some since 2007 - the mocapped animation aspect of it seems to be a bit more prominent in the retail game.

Pojo

Banned
Liabe Brave said:

And it is glorious every time. I've never had as much fun shooting enemies in a FPS.

RE4 has it beat in overall satisfaction across all genres, though. :p

A little SP help please!

Elite difficulty, the train level, just after the mounted tank turret...

...just what the hell am I supposed to be doing here? I've got to kill the tank but attempting to get to the rocket launcher and get a shot off results in death. I can just about kill the enemies but as soon as I run to the rocket launcher they're respawned and are bearing down on me. Rico is fucking useless as usual.

I really feel like I'm missing something. It was hard enough on Vet with the endless respawning bullshit but it's ludicrous on elite. Is there some sort of tactic I'm supposed to be using? Some way to stop the respawns?

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm only up to The Bridge, but oh lord I'm loving the campaign. Haven't had this much addictive shooter fun since...I honestly don't know when.

I really don't think I've played a shooter before where the moment-to-moment gunplay feels so right and the strategy and logistics of the levels make such perfect sense. I'm honestly shocked that the dreaded bad-guys-come-out-of-the-woodwork-from-every-angle moment in Visari Square was not only manageable, but loads of fun and logical to boot.

Maybe it's the graphics, I don't know, but I've never felt more connected to the on-screen shootins and blowins up in an FPS than I do here. Look at me, I'm gushing.

beast786

Just Finished Killzone 2 on Eliete...
59.gif

ALL THANKS TO THIS MAN

2hx3bpg.gif

<3

Zeliard

Mifune said:
I'm only up to The Bridge, but oh lord I'm loving the campaign. Haven't had this much addictive shooter fun since...I honestly don't know when.

I really don't think I've played a shooter before where the moment-to-moment gunplay feels so right and the strategy and logistics of the levels make such perfect sense. I'm honestly shocked that the dreaded bad-guys-come-out-of-the-woodwork-from-every-angle moment in Visari Square was not only manageable, but loads of fun and logical to boot.

Maybe it's the graphics, I don't know, but I've never felt more connected to the on-screen shootins and blowins up in an FPS than I do here. Look at me, I'm gushing.

By the end of the campaign you end up killing 700-800 Helghast, and it seems like a particularly huge number when you consider how individualized they all are when it comes to their behavior (even during endless respawns). It was always fun fighting each of them and watching them die a glorious death, and a very stark difference from a lot of other shooters that simply throw a barrage of walking targets at you.

By the way, the game only gets better from the point you're at.

jester

Neo Member
Okay, I am still unsure about whether to get this. My main concern is the multiplayer. My favorite game mode is Free For All. But in COD4, you really could not advance your stats if you played FFA. Can I play mostly FFA and still advance at the same rate as if I was playing different multiplayer modes.

My other concern is the different classes. I do want to try the other game modes, but for me, having different classes does not really interest me. Are there team modes where everyone is the same class? Maybe I have not really given multiplayer games with classes a chance, but for some reason I do not think I will enjoy it.

jester said:
Okay, I am still unsure about whether to get this. My main concern is the multiplayer. My favorite game mode is Free For All. But in COD4, you really could not advance your stats if you played FFA. Can I play mostly FFA and still advance at the same rate as if I was playing different multiplayer modes.

My other concern is the different classes. I do want to try the other game modes, but for me, having different classes does not really interest me. Are there team modes where everyone is the same class? Maybe I have not really given multiplayer games with classes a chance, but for some reason I do not think I will enjoy it.

I think you should give Killzone 2 a chance.

punkypine

jester said:

there is no free for all, there is only team deathmatch

as far as classes, they dont play that big of a roll in this game compared to alot of the others. its more like random abilities, not team fortress style. its really not that much more drastic than people carrying around extra guns and having random abilities that you dont even have to use to do well if you're just playing deathmatch

Mifune

Mehmber
Zeliard said:
By the end of the campaign you end up killing 700-800 Helghast, and it seems like a particularly huge number when you consider how individualized they all are when it comes to their behavior (even during endless respawns). It was always fun fighting each of them and watching them die a glorious death, and a very stark difference from a lot of other shooters that simply throw a barrage of walking targets at you.

By the way, the game only gets better from the point you're at.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Everything does feel individualized, unlike in -- I hate to bring it up, but I am playing through its campaign right now too -- CoD4, where sometimes I think I'm playing an old arcade shooting gallery game. Nothing wrong with that, but KZ2 feels more like GRAW to me, where every enemy has weight and just feels real.

jester

Neo Member
punkypine said:
there is no free for all, there is only team deathmatch

as far as classes, they dont play that big of a roll in this game compared to alot of the others. its more like random abilities, not team fortress style. its really not that much more drastic than people carrying around extra guns and having random abilities that you dont even have to use to do well if you're just playing deathmatch

What! There is no free for fall at all?

Zeliard

Mifune said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Everything does feel individualized, unlike in -- I hate to bring it up, but I am playing through its campaign right now too -- CoD4, where sometimes I think I'm playing an old arcade shooting gallery game. Nothing wrong with that, but KZ2 feels more like GRAW to me, where every enemy has weight and just feels real.

Yep, CoD4 was one of the main games I was thinking about. A true shooting gallery. I just think it's so much more compelling when it feels like the enemies you're fighting actually have some sense of self-preservation, such as the enemies in Killzone 2. I've been very impressed at numerous times in seeing at how they'd adjust themselves while in cover, or switch to another piece of cover, or move somewhere else entirely just to get away from your bullets. It shouldn't be, but it's a rare sight in most shooters.

jester said:
What! There is no free for fall at all?

Play a 32 player Bodycount game on one of the smaller maps. It'll feel enough like a FFA.

jett

D-Member
I've been playing more of the SP campaign...and while it's got way more awesome, I really don't like the yellowish look over everything. I much prefer the starker look in the 2007 build.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
alr1ghtstart said:
So what exactly kills the spawn grenade? Time? I'm noticing them disappearing throughout the match.
Time. They disappear after a couple of minutes.
Nafai1123 said:
So the first round of the tournament already happened? Did we get a full team for the GAFw game?
As far as I can tell (Battle Replay Link), GAFw played against nobody and won.

jett said:
I've been playing more of the SP campaign...and while it's got way more awesome, I really don't like the yellowish look over everything. I much prefer the starker look in the 2007 build.

I like what they did with the visuals but you aren't alone in your opinion. :D

I just feel they added more color and more vibrant lighting.
The first three levels all take place in the city. If they hadn't changed the visuals at all I think it would have gotten boring quickly.

One level with the original atmosphere would have been nice though I'll say.

Well,
i've just read that the VC5 electrical gun isn't available as a post-game unlockable, it's limited to just that small section. A damn fucking shame, too... probably the most fun i've ever had in an action game last-gen was doing a 100% rocket launcher run in RE4 and I was getting excited about doing a 100% VC5 run. That would have been incredible :(

Nafai1123

Banned
Killthee said:
As far as I can tell (Battle Replay Link), GAFw played against nobody and won.

Ah, lame. It would be much more convenient if the two clans competing that day were allowed to set their own time. Having a West vs. West 2 match at 3pm on a Thursday is just not gonna happen. Whoever sets up the next match I would suggest a two day tourny spanning saturday and sunday, if it is possible to set up multiple matches in a day.

Ephemeris

Psychotext said:
A little SP help please!

Elite difficulty, the train level, just after the mounted tank turret...

...just what the hell am I supposed to be doing here? I've got to kill the tank but attempting to get to the rocket launcher and get a shot off results in death. I can just about kill the enemies but as soon as I run to the rocket launcher they're respawned and are bearing down on me. Rico is fucking useless as usual.

I really feel like I'm missing something. It was hard enough on Vet with the endless respawning bullshit but it's ludicrous on elite. Is there some sort of tactic I'm supposed to be using? Some way to stop the respawns?

Man I don't know. I'm at this part myself, and it wasn't even that difficult on Veteran. I must be doing something wrong cause I'm suffering from what you described on Elite :lol

Top Bottom