• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

mr_nothin

Banned
Loudninja said:
Feels the same to me.
Well that's because you're weird. Either that or you suck hard lol.

I guess it might be because I notice the slightest adjustments made to the controls of any games. I'm the guy who plays counterstrike source (AWPS!) and tweaks everything from in-game sensitivity, zoom_sensitivity, windows' mouse sensitivity, horizontal/vertical dpi (independently), logitech's sensitivity, etc.... oh and also which usb port gives the best response/feel (YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE lol).

KZObsessed

tiddles said:
Or - we read GAF? :D

That is the best thing to do! :D

We need more detailed search options. Search for games with Auto-balance off for example. That'll make it a lot easier for people to find games and have their friends jump in and be on the same team. That's probably the most important thing for most casual online players.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
commish said:
Yeah i just played for 2+ hours, no patch. Whut up with that?
First EU and then US. (Im a EU player i think)

KZObsessed

mr_nothin said:

I guess it might be because I notice the slightest adjustments made to the controls of any games. I'm the guy who plays counterstrike source (AWPS!) and tweaks everything from in-game sensitivity, zoom_sensitivity, windows' mouse sensitivity, horizontal/vertical dpi (independently), logitech's sensitivity, etc.... oh and also which usb port gives the best response/feel (YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE lol).

WOW... I just play! :p

-viper- said:
Wanted to ease my self into Elite by playing Veteran first. Plus my first KZ2 playthrough was really crap and I wanted to get all intel and Helghast symbols before hand.

I need help in obtaining a few trophies though:
Kill 3 Helghast with environmental object
Kill 5 Helghast with a single frag grenade
The ??? trophies (other than the Kill .... in ... minutes trophies)

On the train, right before you have to blow up the tank on the train, there are all of these guys, rushing you at once. You can simply run towards them, hide behind the boxes just to the right of the opening they run through, and pop around the corner with a cooked grenade and kamikaze kill them. I got the kill yourself and 2 Helghast Trophy, as well as the kill 5 Helghast with a single grenade at the same time like the second time I tried it.

It is also at the very beginning of a checkpoint so you can try it over and over.

I was just getting used to the controls. Or was I just having my best match with engineer class? (stationary MG's are brutal). But I am pleased to see that the acceleration has been changed. Never thought GG would change something that integral to the game. No matter what Tempy says.

j-wood said:
Uhh...that's why ironsight aim is a toggle on the right stick buddy. You only need to hold two buttons, one on each hand. If you have to have some crazy controls scheme, then you just have to deal with what that brings. Not GG's fault.

I use "Alternate2" as I don't like clicking sticks in for anything, it's just a preference.

So essentially GG said, if you wanna use the Coversystem with Ironsights properly/ideally, you have to use the default "Standard" control scheme ....well I don't WANT TO! ...and I should have a choice if I don't.

It's further dissapointed as you could, once again, COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZE your control scheme in Killzone1 however you wanted ...which I precisely did.
Point is, we're in 2009 and console gamers still have to feel special and privelaged when they get that option. It's just fuck all annoying in this day and age

Once again, thank you Insomanic for understand this with R1 and R2

Aeon712

FFObsessed said:
That is the best thing to do! :D

We need more detailed search options. Search for games with Auto-balance off for example. That'll make it a lot easier for people to find games and have their friends jump in and be on the same team. That's probably the most important thing for most casual online players.
Yes please, I've been playing a lot of games with Lunlunqq and a couple friends of mine. Would be awesome if we could be on the same team but I also love auto balence after being put in a 15v9 24 player game.

mr_nothin

Banned
FFObsessed said:
WOW... I just play! :p
lol, Well that's only with css and only when i'm sniping. When you're playing with all the top awpers/snipers then it really helps when you're really accurate at the drop of a dime :)

Loudninja

mr_nothin said:

Or it could be that you suck :p

AgentOtaku said:
I use "Alternate2" as I don't like clicking sticks in for anything, it's just a preference.

Same here, for some reason clicking the sticks in the heat of battle always feels awkward.

Allowing me to create my own controller layout would make me so happy.

I don't hate the Standard 2 control scheme, but it has taken using the sights virtually out of my game.

Anyone else experience the bug where when you turn down the volume of the headset under the options menu, every time you join a new MP game the volume goes back to where it was, even though the volume bar in the option menu says its down all the way?

Owensboro

Uuuugh, this day just got alot longer knowing they have "tweaked" the controls. I was having huge problems with them when it came to closer quarters combat. It felt like oversteer when playing a driving game. I would jam the stick to catch up to them, only to overshoot and jam the opposite way and overshoot again; spraying bullets wildly just hoping to kill anything. Having a little more degree of control will be real nice (hopefully). It's kind of sad that after 10 hours of playing online I still couldn't get the hang of the oversteer

Also, I still don't understand what the heck is up with the shotgun. When everyone else uses it, they can kill me from 30+ft in one shot. When I use it, I can't even kill someone with a point blank shot. Stupid engineer class. Oh well, I'm a better Medic anyway.

Zeliard

mr_nothin said:

Did you used to bust out ps2rate back in the day? :p

But yeah, I also did a lot of various config/console tweaks in Quake 1 and 3. In Quake 3, I had different crosshairs and sensitivities for different weapons.

gregor7777 said:
Same here, for some reason clicking the sticks in the heat of battle always feels awkward.

I don't hate the Standard 2 control scheme, but it has taken using the sights virtually out of my game.

Same thing with sprinting with L3 ....I FUCKING HATE IT, but I've been GG half-way and accept it's use here

Owensboro said:
Uuuugh, this day just got alot longer knowing they have "tweaked" the controls. I was having huge problems with them when it came to closer quarters combat. It felt like oversteer when playing a driving game. I would jam the stick to catch up to them, only to overshoot and jam the opposite way and overshoot again; spraying bullets wildly just hoping to kill anything. Having a little more degree of control will be real nice (hopefully). It's kind of sad that after 10 hours of playing online I still couldn't get the hang of the oversteer

Also, I still don't understand what the heck is up with the shotgun. When everyone else uses it, they can kill me from 30+ft in one shot. When I use it, I can't even kill someone with a point blank shot. Stupid engineer class. Oh well, I'm a better Medic anyway.

I agree, I would constantly "oversteer" too when it came to close quaters combat. The method I use is to just constantly stay medium to long range as thats how I feel the game should be played anyways ....can't stand 32 match death-fests

Tom Penny

mr_nothin said:
lol, Well that's only with css and only when i'm sniping. When you're playing with all the top awpers/snipers then it really helps when you're really accurate at the drop of a dime :)

You don't have a mouse that you just flip the DPI on the fly. That's what I do.

mr_nothin said:

Hey nothin being a huge CS player myself(In fact Its the only online game I have ever been addicted to) I find it so interesting that KZ2 is the first console game ever to inspire the same kind of neurotic obsession that CS did for me and I am finding that a lot of my friends who were big on CS love it to even though they are really nothing alike I wonder what the common thread is?

tiddles

mr_nothin said:

AFAIK the only things that were changed about the controls between the beta and the final version in MP were the acceleration factor reduction (MP only), and a reduction in the amount of "softlock" aim assistance. It's possible some of the other assists were tweaked/reduced too, I'm not too sure. I did look into that diagonal acceleration issue you mentioned a while back, but couldn't see anything unexpected happening.

Maybe at some point in the future there'll be an option to choose between the SP and MP accelerations (no plans for that at the moment though).

gregor7777 said:

If you guys took the time to get good at Standard 1 and 2 you would love it. It does take a while though.

Guenther

Loudninja said:
Why are you sad?
Because it was the only real advantage of the engineer. The power of the turrets is weak and they are too easily destroyed. The repair ability is only really helpfull if you are playing in a well-rehearsed team.

Guess I´m switching back to the scout, which I played most of the time durring the beta phase.

KZObsessed

mr_nothin said:

Why havn't you honored me with a friend request yet??

After all we are Beta bros! (Yes that's what I'm calling us :p)

Ricker

Well I answered my own question by finishing the single player this morning...very hard in some sections,even on normal,for me anyway,but great game nonetheless,SP was fantastic.

BruceLeeRoy said:
If you guys took the time to get good at Standard 1 and 2 you would love it. It does take a while though.

I don't have much choice, do I? :)

I'm fine with it except for the zoom. That's my only beef.

Tom Penny

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey nothin being a huge CS player myself(In fact Its the only online game I have ever been addicted to) I find it so interesting that KZ2 is the first console game ever to inspire the same kind of neurotic obsession that CS did for me and I am finding that a lot of my friends who were big on CS love it to even though they are really nothing alike I wonder what the common thread is?

Probably the weapons and recoil. Alot of shooter you don't have to burst so much so they are noob friendly. Kind of like when I first Played CS and tried to spray long and medium distances with the AK and other weapons and look like a total noob :lol

Yes

mapping Crouch Toggle to "O" button like I do in R2 would be godly as would Sprint to "L2"
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS MIGHTY GG!

Or at least give a reason as to why you would be opposed to this implementation ...PLEASE!

.GqueB.

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Same thing with sprinting with L3 ....I FUCKING HATE IT, but I've been GG half-way and accept it's use here
I just wanna be able to map melee to the circle button. Thats ALL I want from the controls.

tiddles said:
AFAIK the only things that were changed about the controls between the beta and the final version in MP were the acceleration factor reduction (MP only), and a reduction in the amount of "softlock" aim assistance. It's possible some of the other assists were tweaked/reduced too, I'm not too sure. I did look into that diagonal acceleration issue you mentioned a while back, but couldn't see anything unexpected happening.

Maybe at some point in the future there'll be an option to choose between the SP and MP accelerations (no plans for that at the moment though).

search function for MP matches and the ability to invite friends in a game, with home game launching too, please.

and a new killzone liberation for the psp

Zeliard

BruceLeeRoy said:

The huge emphasis on recoil, probably. It's rare in console shooters.

Tom Penny said:
Probably the weapons and recoil. Alot of shooter you don't have to burst so much so they are noob friendly. Kind of like when I first Played CS and tried to spray long and medium distances with the AK and other weapons and look like a total noob :lol

Oh man the good ole AK absolutely lethal when someone knew how to burst shot just right and instant death to people that just held the fire down.

Zeliard said:
The huge emphasis on recoil, probably. It's rare in console shooters.

Ahh good point your definitely right.

AgentOtaku said:
I just don't though =(

It took me a while to get it but now that I do it makes the game immensely more fun. Cover becomes something that I take immediate advantage of. Even in mp its perfect for me.

Wallach

dollartaco said:
So you can still lock on to targets by holding L1 in alternative 2 control layout?

I think he's just referring to the aim-assist, which the Shotgun (and all guns) have when firing from the hip. They all do that whenever the reticule turns red if you don't move the right analog stick.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Oh man the good ole AK absolutely lethal when someone knew how to burst shot just right and instant death to people that just held the fire down.

I played the hell out of CS and never got the AK down. I'd have to start my aim at the enemy's feet. :lol

Badass weapon though, the damage was enormous.

icechai

BruceLeeRoy said:

yo, obsessive CS player way before as well. Its the emphasis on hip shooting and recoil. A lot of games started getting into the sights, but when you're running about with your opponent a few feet from you, are you really going to put the gun next to your eye, c'mon now. :p Also the aiming is slower, which is how most of the top clans played CS like (1 or 2 freaks played Gundam style but most of the top 20 clans had low sensitivity).

some ppl are saying new controls make sight lock on easier, true? That would suck :p

Wallach said:
I think he's just referring to the aim-assist, which the Shotgun (and all guns) have when firing from the hip. They all do that whenever the reticule turns red if you don't move the right analog stick.

Good, that wasn't the problem.

madmook

Deifinitely interested in trying the "tweaked" controls. Although I just beat the game on normal last night. Boy, that last section, wow really tough.

Ploid 3.0

JudgeN said:
I don't think they are faster its just with a smaller deadzone when you move the stick it actually moves instead having to full throttle it. Can someone explain what the acceleration meant, when people were complaining about it?

I had no deadzone problem. When my analog got stuck to one corner in it's loose state my character would move slowly while I would try doing stuff like plant a turret. Not far corner, but like the distance of a grain of salt to the left from it's perfectly center position.

And now I'm glad people can't complain when I kill them with a shotgun in one shot anymore.

Nafai1123

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

Both games actually take skill and dedication...

Don't get me wrong, COD4 was and still is a great game, but it is so easy to go back to that game after a long break and still find yourself in the top of the rankings during a match. It's more about momentum and getting perks than actual skill. I could go into a COD4 match and dominate one round and totally suck the next just because of how the flow of the perks in the game worked out.

KZ2 actually reminds me a lot of Day of Defeat. I don't know exactly why, but considering DOD is one of my all time fav pc fps games, that's a good thing.

Barrett2

gregor7777 said:
Actually, it means PSN has issues with your router. See the last post on the last page. Works like a charm.

And like I said, no other network had an issue with my router except PSN. Luckily there's an easy fix.

Firmware and instruction page

Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

The interface has so many more and better options than the standard firmware. I haven't had a single drop since the upgrade.

EDIT: Not sure if it works for other brands besides linksys, you'll have to check the supported hardware DB.

A few days ago this was brought up as a solution to routers that have disconnect issues.

When I looked at the site, it appears my router (Belkin F5D9231-4) is not supported. Does anyone know of any other solution I might try to fix this wifi flicker problem. It is seriously killing my ability to play online. -_-

Brandon F said:
So crouch toggle STILL isn't fixed for SP?

Fail...
Oh well. I was happy for nothing earlier. :(

Tempy said:
placebo_pill.jpg

WTF...

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
.GqueB. said:
I just wanna be able to map melee to the circle button. Thats ALL I want from the controls.

+1

Leave SP alone for all I care but I would love to customize the controls for MP, save for the D-pad.

kitch9

Banned
Woot, single player done on Veteran 10hrs and 30 minutes, the last bit was about 3 hours of that....:lol Man that was tough, its nicely laid up for Killzone 3..... Bring it on....

BruceLeeRoy said:
It took me a while to get it but now that I do it makes the game immensely more fun. Cover becomes something that I take immediate advantage of. Even in mp its perfect for me.

I would be fine with the cover mapped to L2 is all I had to do is slightly feather it to get the command to register (Like say Army of Two or Resistance) ...problem is it doesn't

Problem is, yoou have to at least depress about half-way for it to register and if you leave your finger in that position, it may sporadically unregister. It happens all the time with me even though I don't lift up my finger in the slightest. Weirdly enough the Wanted demo has this same exact issue (not to mention it's a great big POS) as does GT5:p when you map accelerate to L2/R2 ...I don't know if it's an oddity with the controller or what.
So basically, you have to pull ALL THE WAY down for the command to register AND hold. It just an uncomfortable thing to with due to the nature of the resistance in the Dualshock3 ....fuck I couldn't even imagine it with the ol' stock SixAxis pad with it's completely ridiculous L2/R2 resistance

Holding L2 for an extended amount of time, ALL THE WAY down, while trying to manipulate the LStick left and right is just an awkard thing for my hands ...I'm sorry =/

dazed808

lawblob said:
A few days ago this was brought up as a solution to routers that have disconnect issues.

When I looked at the site, it appears my router (Belkin F5D9231-4) is not supported. Does anyone know of any other solution I might try to fix this wifi flicker problem. It is seriously killing my ability to play online. -_-

Sorted my nephew's wifi out the other day and all it needed was a static IP address and putting the PS3 into the DMZ of the router - not one dropout in 10 days and he was getting them every 20 mins.
Of course you may have all ready tried this..................
Personally I use 200mb powerline networking because I found the wireless not up to HD streaming and never had a single connecion issue

Top Bottom