• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

1-D_FTW

BruceLeeRoy said:
Good lord I just attempted to upgrade my router using that $60 dollar router to $600 router and I have never been so afraid and confused in my life.

To upgrade your router use dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_std.bin but not Use dd-wrt.v24-9527-VINT_std.bin as using Use dd-wrt.v24-9527-VINT_std.bin will permanently brick your router and likely burn your house down. 0_0

If you have a Linksys model that supports it, Tomato is pretty simple. I've been told the two are pretty similiar, but Tomato is the easier to use. That's why I chose that.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Good lord I just attempted to upgrade my router using that $60 dollar router to $600 router and I have never been so afraid and confused in my life.

:lol

I wrote up a real quick blog post with all the links and slightly better instructions (better than my earlier instruction, that is), but don't blame me if you brick your router! :)

Took me like 3 minutes.

BobTheFork said:
shoot them in the head ffs.

man that list of 'cheap' stuff is getting longer every day lol

cloak.
disguise
assault
shotgun
rocket.

The game would be bland as hell without some fun stuff like these. Not to accuse, but it always sounds like gamers just have a permanent hair up their ass about dying PERIOD and anything that kills them is cheap or bullshit

If friendly fire is on, assault is well balanced because they have to actually consider when and where to shoot rockets. With it off, they just tend to fire rockets in to big groups. It just makes everything messy, especially search and destroy.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Anyone else feel that both the ISA and Helghast are prtty much as bad as each other and neither is right or wrong...

Just seems like a clash of civilisation's...

Tideas

Banned
BobTheFork said:

cloak.
disguise
assault
shotgun
rocket.

The game would be bland as hell without some fun stuff like these. Not to accuse, but it always sounds like gamers just have a permanent hair up their ass about dying PERIOD and anything that kills them is cheap or bullshit

exactly...seriously, get use to the uniqueness. seriously, what's up with wanting everything to be bland? geez

Liberty4all

Banned
There is nothing wrong with assault class.

Super limited ammo, highly dependant on engineers for ammo resupply. Disabling the class just because you don't like it is kind of silly.

Maybe we should disable the scout class because OMG they get cheap kills from across the map! The whole POINT of assault class is to devestate clusterfucks of enemies. If Team damage is on then assault has to be super careful or risk a zillion penalty points,

/end rant

Felix Lighter said:
If friendly fire is on, assault is well balanced because they have to actually consider when and where to shoot rockets. With it off, they just tend to fire rockets in to big groups. It just makes everything messy, especially search and destroy.
eh, thats just part of the game IMO. Gotta deal with, just anything else.

gregor7777 said:

I wrote up a real quick blog post with all the links and slightly better instructions (better than my earlier instruction, that is), but don't blame me if you brick your router! :)

Took me like 3 minutes.

Cool write up but no clue what files I have to DL.

The DD-WRT site has like 1 million files.

tiddles

mr_nothin said:
I guess by soft-lock you basically mean auto-aim but just barely. I'm not really sure what it is now that forces me to shoot from the hip. I think it's a combination of everything. Plus that whole acceleration thing I was talking about before (still working on the diagram).

Soft-lock = turning the player's view a little towards a target under their reticule if they strafe/move (and don't adjust the view themselves). The assistance you get when zooming is different - probably called "zoom assist" or something similar :D

If you finish the diagram post up a link here and I'll have a look...

alterno69

Banned
.. or has this been one of the smoothest first day online experiences for a high profile game this gen? I mean, sure there where some issues but the game was perfectly playable, personally i've had 0 issues since day 1. And now 2 patches in 1 week? Awesome work GG.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bamelin said:

Super limited ammo, highly dependant on engineers for ammo resupply. Disabling the class just because you don't like it is kind of silly.

Maybe we should disable the scout class because OMG they get cheap kills from across the map! The whole POINT of assault class is to devestate clusterfucks of enemies. If Team damage is on then assault has to be super careful or risk a zillion penalty points,

/end rant
The thing is, is that they can just die and then boost right back to the same area. A lot of them do kamikaze runs with the rocket launchers. They're not much of a problem on the bigger maps though. Put 2+ on a team on blood gracht and we have a problem.

krypt0nian said:

Thanks

Go here, search for your model, and click on the result line. Should lead you to at least four files.

A TFTP program (like an FTP program, though this one has far less options making it very simple to use), and the firmware files. A prep firmware file, the 'killer' firmware file, and the final DD-WRT firmware file.

dazed808

Tideas said:
exactly...seriously, get use to the uniqueness. seriously, what's up with wanting everything to be bland? geez

I can understand the shotgun complaints before the patch but everything else is just whining and "protection" of their precious K/D - fuck, if I worried bout my K/D I would of stopped playing this after 2 days of getting my arse handed to me on a plate:lol

gregor7777 said:

Took me like 3 minutes.

My router has no problem with the psn but every once in a while it just disconnects when I am using the internet. Its a Linksys WRT54GS V7 I am not using the wireless signal at all everything is hardwired. Do you think doing the firmware upgrade is worth it for me?

krypt0nian said:

The DD-WRT site has like 1 million files.

Yeah its quite terrifying.

.GqueB.

Banned
BobTheFork said:

cloak.
disguise
assault
shotgun
rocket.

I kind of agree with this. But I dont think everyones problem is with the fact that these things exist, its the fact that everyone is running around cloaked, disguised and wielding a shotgun. People are just using the cheapest, easiest routes to success. Its ok when you come across these things here and there but when you run into an entire squad on Visari Hammer carrying shottys then of course youre gonna get a bit tired of them auto lock on or not.

Alot of the maps just arent fair to people not carrying shotguns. The shotguns in Halo were one hit kills as well but the maps were open enough where you could get away... or you could do a super high jump or whatever. But this game is very "corridor"y. You meet someone wielding a shotgun in a hallway unexpectedly and youre pretty much dead.

BobTheFork said:

Man, so true. More people need to play with Friendly Fire though, I agree with that one.

Zeliard

TTP said:
Yeah I can't tell exactly what has changed, but I do feel more badass now :lol

Guerilla is probably conducting a blind study into a possible placebo effect. :p

mr_nothin said:
The thing is, is that they can just die and then boost right back to the same area. A lot of them do kamikaze runs with the rocket launchers. They're not much of a problem on the bigger maps though. Put 2+ on a team on blood gracht and we have a problem.

In bigger games, the lack of ammo for the rocket launcher also becomes less of a deal, since there are weapons strewn all around the map.

Honestly, I don't know if Assault is overpowered, but I do think he has the fewest amount of overall weaknesses. Maybe that's the same thing. His biggest weakness is essentially not having the abilities of the other classes.

gregor7777 said:
Thanks

Go here, search for your model, and click on the result line. Should lead you to at least four files.

A TFP program (like an FTP program, though this one has far less options making it very simple to use), and the firmware files. A prep firmware file, the 'killer' firmware file, and the final DD-WRT firmware file.

I see the FTP but then there are

VINTAGE : micro dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin 2009-02-10 1,69 MB
VINTAGE : mini dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini.bin 2009-02-10 2,73 MB
VINTAGE : mini_usb dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini_usb.bin 2009-02-10 2,94 MB
VINTAGE : nokaid dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokaid.bin 2009-02-10 3,36 MB
VINTAGE : nokaid_usb dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokaid_usb.bin 2009-02-10 3,52 MB
VINTAGE : openvpn dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_openvpn.bin 2009-02-10 3,57 MB
VINTAGE : standard dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std.bin 2009-02-10 3,48 MB
VINTAGE : voip dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_voip.bin 2009-02-10 3,54 MB

I assume the mini is right but which are the killer and final?

BruceLeeRoy said:
My router has no problem with the psn but every once in a while it just disconnects when I am using the internet. Its a Linksys WRT54GS V7 I am not using the wireless signal at all everything is hardwired. Do you think doing the firmware upgrade is worth it for me?

Hard to say. My issues didn't seem related to wireless functionality at all. PSN would drop constantly even over a wired connection.

I noticed my download speeds across the board increased after updating the firmware, and the admin UI is far better now as far as options and configuration is concerned.

krypt0nian said:
I see the FTP but then there are

I assume the mini is right but which are the killer and final?

What the model number? I'll see if I can hunt better instructions down.

Liberty4all

Banned
mr_nothin said:

You could say the same thing though about other classes -- engineers are so lame they set up turrets at my team's spawn grenade! Cheap! And even if they die they just come back and set up another turret! Geez

And what about those tacticians? Throwing spawn grenades right beside enemy spawn grenades (usually at objective points to boot)? THAT causes clusterfucks even more so than anything else.

And the scout class? All they do is hang back and snipe people who don't even get to get a shot off. Lame.

etc etc

Don't get me wrong I understand being frustrated at the grenade launcher spammer, but there's only 6 shells per clip. I play assault alot and get blown away MANY times ... the grenade launcher is meant for clusterfucks not up close one on one combat.

It just strikes me as wrong to "ban" a certain class which are meant by game design to be in the game. Reminds me of Tribes 1 when certain servers would ban snipers or set a whole bunch of arcane rule (no O sniping, no Out of Bounds sniping, no sniping period) ...

It's arbitrary and really not fair .... if you're setting up a GAF server it should be with the standard ruleset that doesn't cater to personal preferences and bias.

gregor7777 said:
Hard to say. My issues didn't seem related to wireless functionality at all. PSN would drop constantly even over a wired connection.

I noticed my download speeds across the board increased after updating the firmware, and the admin UI is far better now as far as options and configuration is concerned.

WRT54G v.8 and thanks!

EDIT: NM I think I'm ok. I didn;t pick v.8 last time! :lol

Zeliard said:
Guerilla is probably conducting a blind study into a possible placebo effect. :p

In bigger games, the lack of ammo for the rocket launcher also becomes less of a deal, since there are weapons strewn all around the map.

Honestly, I don't know if Assault is overpowered, but I do think he has the fewest amount of overall weaknesses. Maybe that's the same thing. His biggest weakness is essentially not having the abilities of the other classes.
I think I'll know the controls are the same, ive been adjusting and screwing with it constantly. I just wish the patch would drop, i have to go soon

cameltoe

because people sucked they complained and got the controls changed...way to go!!

Yesterday I dont know how many times, I was engaged from the rear (hey now!!) and was able to turn and kill them with out issue...they blamed the controls. BS! I have never had an enemy that I engaged from the rear (too easy!!!) turn and kill me...hasnt happened...

Oh well, will shall see whats up tonight when I gets the patch.

Zeliard

Bamelin said:
You could say the same thing though about other classes -- engineers are so lame they set up turrets at my team's spawn grenade! Cheap! And even if they die they just come back and set up another turret! Geez

And what about those tacticians? Throwing spawn grenades right beside enemy spawn grenades (usually at objective points to boot)? THAT causes clusterfucks even more so than anything else.

And the scout class? All they do is hang back and snipe people who don't even get to get a shot off. Lame.

etc etc

Don't get me wrong I understand being frustrated at the grenade launcher spammer, but there's only 6 shells per clip. I play assault alot and get blown away MANY times ... the grenade launcher is meant for clusterfucks not up close one on one combat.

It just strikes me as wrong to "ban" a certain class which are meant by game design to be in the game. Reminds me of Tribes 1 when certain servers would ban snipers or set a whole bunch of arcane rule (no O sniping, no Out of Bounds sniping, no sniping period) ...

It's arbitrary and really not fair .... if you're setting up a GAF server it should be with the standard ruleset that doesn't cater to personal preferences and bias.

Even with my worries about the Assault class, I agree they should never be banned.

Hell, I absolutely loathed the lock-on shotgun, but I would never have banned it since it's the primary weapon for the Engineer. Even if you think Assault is overpowered, banning the class entirely just makes the game even more unbalanced since he's still very important.

gregor7777 said:

So I go to the router list and under my Linksys it says this:
VINTage firmware may be needed for the RF to work reliably. Use dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_std.bin at above link. Details here.

So I click on the link and the next page is a long list of files. Do I have to download them all from top to bottom?

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mega.bin bin 5.3 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin bin 1.7 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini.bin bin 2.7 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini_... bin 2.9 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokai... bin 3.4 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokai... bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_openv... bin 3.6 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std.bin bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_voip.bin bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download MD5SUMS 610 B 20-05-08 0
None

Leatherface

StateofMind said:
So I'm 19 and 4 (K/D) since the update. Controls feel amazing now.

Officially my favorite FPS of all time.

So there was a control issue. Thank god! I was starting to feel like I just suck! I just couldn't get any accuracy no matter how hard I tweaked!! Can't wait to try it now.

krypt0nian said:
WRT54G v.8 and thanks!

EDIT: NM I think I'm ok. I didn;t pick v.8 last time! :lol

Cool, here's some good instructions for that model:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54Gv8

BruceLeeRoy said:
VINTage firmware may be needed for the RF to work reliably. Use dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_std.bin at above link. Details here.

S

What's the model number?

Q-bert

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

Yeah its quite terrifying.

Give the official Linksys latest firmware a shot first, if 3rd party firmware is giving you anxiety attack.

But whether or not it would help you in your situation would depend on what kind of "disconnect" you're getting and how often.

I'm %100 sure it's nothing in my network or between me and the CO (DSL), and I still get random disconnects couple times a week. Shit happens.

skrew

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

So I click on the link and the next page is a long list of files. Do I have to download them all from top to bottom?

dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mega.bin bin 5.3 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin bin 1.7 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini.bin bin 2.7 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_mini_... bin 2.9 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokai... bin 3.4 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_nokai... bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_openv... bin 3.6 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std.bin bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_voip.bin bin 3.5 MB 20-05-08 0
None
download MD5SUMS 610 B 20-05-08 0
None
download and install micro, flash your router and reboot
download and install std, flash and reboot
done

1-D_FTW said:
So there isn't a deadzone slider? I hope it's cranked far enough that I don't have any then.

There needs to be a small deadzone. If your analog stick doesn't rest perfectly center, the camera will start drifting on it's own.

1-D_FTW

Leatherface said:
There is a slider but it didn't really help much IMO.

Cool. I'll remain optimistic. R2 demo allowed me to get rid of it all, and at this point, anything is going to be an improvement for me.

Felix Lighter said:
There needs to be a small deadzone. If your analog stick doesn't rest perfectly center, the camera will start drifting on it's own.

I have a big deadzone. As in I go to make subtle movements and get nothing. And by the time I finally start slamming it, my cursor has moved half way across the screen. It's killing me.

Bamelin said:

/end rant

Full Recovery was removing Assault from his games simply because of the Boost. Not because of weapons or any other thing. He said he thought the Boost was kinda bonked at this point. I kinda agree.

I dont have Assault yet, but it is a very strong skill. It is basically impossible to kill someone boosting across the screen. And Full_Recovery uses the Assault quite a bit. I think it says a lot for him to remove it when he is a good player and uses it very well.

I dont have the Assault Class so I dont know how well it works. I just know how hard it is to kill someone while boosting.

Doc Evils

I just noticed youtube isn't adding a HQ option for videos,but you have to manually put it in the url.

just something I noticed today.

icechai

3rdamention said:
I dont have the Assault Class so I dont know how well it works. I just know how hard it is to kill someone while boosting.

every 30 seconds you get a skill that lets you move 2x as fast and heal you, this is how I got my melee and pistol medals while still coming up on top in teams in normal game conditions as well as GAF games, its a bit crazy.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bamelin said:

etc etc

I dont have a problem with the assault class itself. Especially when they're using the grenade launcher. My problem is when they use the rocket launcher + assault class and basically dont have any repercussions.

They dont have anything to counter balance all that power. They have double energy,strongest weapon in the game (that can kill multiple ppl with 1 shot),they can move twice as fast, and they regenerate health. I dont really see the weakness there. They can boost to a spot and shoot a rocket and scram and do that 3 times then go off and pickup a weapon off the ground and continue on, no problem.

With the other classes like the scout for example, he can hang back and try to snipe but he has to be really accurate to get that shot and he has to stay very still or else he'll be exposed. If he misses that shot, he also has to wait a couple of seconds before he can shoot off another shot. He's left vulnerable, and because he doesnt have double the energy and doesnt move 2 times as fast as you...you can actually kill him before he's able to get that next shot off. I love finding scouts and unloading on them with my isa rifle. Especially FFObssessed :lol

Engineers and their turrets...
The turrets have to be placed correctly. You cant just go and plop a turret off in a wide open area or right in the middle of where everybody's fighting and expect that turret to last long. Turrets dont have that much hp and can be destroyed pretty easily.

I mean, i dont have that much of an issue with the assault class. It just seems a little too powerful with the rocket launcher thrown in there. The grenade launcher fits that class just right. Limited ammo and not much accuracy but still deadly when used right, not shoot and forget.

Dibbz

Banning because of boost? It's not like he can kill you by running into you or anything. The whole point of boost is to run fast. Wanna slow him down get some C4 in his path or turrets.

The whole class system is so well balanced it makes no sense to outright ban one class. If you struggling with a particular class you and your team are to blame.

Top Bottom