• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Tom Penny

Nafai1123 said:
Both games actually take skill and dedication...

Don't get me wrong, COD4 was and still is a great game, but it is so easy to go back to that game after a long break and still find yourself in the top of the rankings during a match. It's more about momentum and getting perks than actual skill. I could go into a COD4 match and dominate one round and totally suck the next just because of how the flow of the perks in the game worked out.

KZ2 actually reminds me a lot of Day of Defeat. I don't know exactly why, but considering DOD is one of my all time fav pc fps games, that's a good thing.

MP was so easy once you got certain weapons. I just used P90 extra ammo and faster reload perks and raped.

Cagen

dollartaco said:
So you can still lock on to targets by holding L1 in alternative 2 control layout?

No but I have noticed they have regularly increased the aim assist on it. Now, without holding any button as long as i place the reticle anywhere near the enemy it snaps to their body.

Other then seemingly increasing aim assist (sigh) they haven't changed the controls as far as I can tell, analogue dead zone is still there etc. Though I never had a problem with the controls in the first place so it doesn't bother me.

Ploid 3.0

sankt-Antonio said:
FUCK i played the damn game with shit controles!

its so much better now !!! yay i can actually fucking shoot people and not spray and hope for the best

Are you talking about COD4? In KZ2 I did little spray and pray. I took my time and aimed if the distance was great. It would kill them if done correctly.

Nizz

So the new tweaked controls apply to the full game? Single player and multiplayer? :D I'm sorry if somebody answered already, but this thread moves so damn fast...

Cagen said:
No but I have noticed they have regularly increased the aim assist on it. Now, without holding any button as long as i place the reticle anywhere near the enemy it snaps to their body.

Other then seemingly increasing aim assist (sigh) they haven't changed the controls as far as I can tell, analogue dead zone is still there etc. Though I never had a problem with the controls in the first place so it doesn't bother me.
increased it? lol come on

dazed808 said:
Sorted my nephew's wifi out the other day and all it needed was a static IP address and putting the PS3 into the DMZ of the router - not one dropout in 10 days and he was getting them every 20 mins.
Of course you may have all ready tried this..................
Personally I use 200mb powerline networking because I found the wireless not up to HD streaming and never had a single connecion issue

I was having those issues and tried that...in the end only the router firmware upgrade fixed the issue.

But it's only available for certain routers, unfortunately.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AgentOtaku said:
I would be fine with the cover mapped to L2 is all I had to do is slightly feather it to get the command to register (Like say Army of Two or Resistance) ...problem is it doesn't

Problem is, yoou have to at least depress about half-way for it to register and if you leave your finger in that position, it may sporadically unregister. It happens all the time with me even though I don't lift up my finger in the slightest. Weirdly enough the Wanted demo has this same exact issue (not to mention it's a great big POS) as does GT5:p when you map accelerate to L2/R2 ...I don't know if it's an oddity with the controller or what.
So basically, you have to pull ALL THE WAY down for the command to register AND hold. It just an uncomfortable thing to with due to the nature of the resistance in the Dualshock3 ....fuck I couldn't even imagine it with the ol' stock SixAxis pad with it's completely ridiculous L2/R2 resistance

Holding L2 for an extended amount of time, ALL THE WAY down, while trying to manipulate the LStick left and right is just an awkard thing for my hands ...I'm sorry =/

Yep, it's about as awkward to me as NOT including an invert aim option. I like the game, but I really hate the limitations forced on the control scheme. Drives me fucking crazy, and a revisit of the campaign is less likely for me than if this small detail were fixed.

Cagen

BobTheFork said:
increased it? lol come on
Not increased it over the exploit, there is less aim assist then when you held L1. However to me, it feels like there is more aim assist when just regularly firing then there was before. It never snapped to the player like it is doing for me now.

the only times i can perform melees correctly are when im right behind an unsuspecting enemy, otherwise it just throws my aim off and I usually miss the melee and get killed.

Cagen said:
Not increased it over the exploit, there is less aim assist then when you held L1. However to me, it feels like there is more aim assist when just regularly firing then there was before. It never snapped to the player like it is doing for me now.
well there isn't. They wouldn't do that.
when does this gp up? Would like to play it today

Q-bert

Banned
lawblob said:
A few days ago this was brought up as a solution to routers that have disconnect issues.

When I looked at the site, it appears my router (Belkin F5D9231-4) is not supported. Does anyone know of any other solution I might try to fix this wifi flicker problem. It is seriously killing my ability to play online. -_-

Assuming that your problem actually is just limited to wifi / radio, try dialing back to just 802.11B support and then you're only real variable is the channels to use, try to find one that works for you in your environment. If that doesnt work, you are out of luck.

Keep in mind your actual problem could be a bunch of things unrelated to the wireless/radio part of the setup.

bigswords

Damn the Asia patch is on time with Europe and US (woot), from the patch notes it says it fixed the Saboteur disguise freeze.

So awesome, plus the control tweaks, well I'm not sure it's a placebo effect, but the controls feel slightly more responsive to me.

Good news about the control tweaks.
Yes, I am mainly a 360 player, and the controls in the KZ2 demo totally threw me off.
I played the demo at least a half dozen times, this day and that day, trying to accept the controls. I refuse.
Maybe now I'll be able to see the game past the crappy controls, and enjoy it.
I'll need to rent to see if they are in fact fixed, unless the patch applies to the demo; that'd be nice (doubtful, I know).

Even nicer, a mp demo...

Barrett2

dazed808 said:
Sorted my nephew's wifi out the other day and all it needed was a static IP address and putting the PS3 into the DMZ of the router - not one dropout in 10 days and he was getting them every 20 mins.
Of course you may have all ready tried this..................
Personally I use 200mb powerline networking because I found the wireless not up to HD streaming and never had a single connecion issue

I have not tried this. How would I do this, exactly? I am not very tech savvy.

J2d

Is the C4/mines wonky for anyone else or am I doing it wrong? Seems like people can sometimes stand still on them and nothing happens. Other times they just go trough the floor.

lawblob said:

In your router config there should be a menu for setting a IP into the DMZ. So lets say your PS3 is 192.168.1.100, set that to the DMZ and you're essentially placing the PS3 outside of the firewall.

Keep in mind though that if you're using dynamic IP addresses, it may change. So you may want to give the PS3 a static IP address and then set that to the DMZ.

Check your router's manual for specifics, it's different for every brand/model.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Defuser said:
Ever since that shotgun giltch is fixed. The amount of shotgunners drop drastically.:lol

Nice!

So, how is the tweak? Did people who would never play the game again if they folded leave for good? haha, I bet it's still awesome.

dazed808

lawblob said:

Also worth using Netstumbler to check what channel other nearby networks are using because if it's the same as yours is broadcasting on, that could also be giving you issues

Zeliard

gregor7777 said:
In your router config there should be a menu for setting a IP into the DMZ. So lets say your PS3 is 192.168.1.100, set that to the DMZ and you're essentially placing the PS3 outside of the firewall.

Keep in mind though that if you're using dynamic IP addresses, it may change. So you may want to give the PS3 a static IP address and then set that to the DMZ.

Check your router's manual for specifics, it's different for every brand/model.

I probably need to do this. Getting the intermittent disconnects as well (with a Netgear, no less - the thing works exceptionally well for everything else).

Also, dunno about anyone else, but when I get disconnected from Killzone 2 servers I still remain connected to PSN the entire time.

.GqueB.

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
Why disable assault class? glitch?
Its a godawful cheap class. Rocket launcher wielding running back with more health than everyone else on the map.

I dont know what they were thinking with that one.

My only problem with assault is they turn your run-of-the-mill clusterfuck into a mind melting, controller breaking, scream inducing clusterfuck. Especially, when friendly fire is off and there is nothing stopping them from spamming objectives with endless rockets.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zeliard said:
Did you used to bust out ps2rate back in the day? :p

But yeah, I also did a lot of various config/console tweaks in Quake 1 and 3. In Quake 3, I had different crosshairs and sensitivities for different weapons.
Haha, yea I did.
And I used to have a program to change the usb polling rates too...that was before I got my g5 v2.

Tom Penny said:
You don't have a mouse that you just flip the DPI on the fly. That's what I do.
Well I need the dpi to be constant. I use the mouse wheel to change my sensitivity on the fly in-game.

tiddles said:
AFAIK the only things that were changed about the controls between the beta and the final version in MP were the acceleration factor reduction (MP only), and a reduction in the amount of "softlock" aim assistance. It's possible some of the other assists were tweaked/reduced too, I'm not too sure. I did look into that diagonal acceleration issue you mentioned a while back, but couldn't see anything unexpected happening.

Maybe at some point in the future there'll be an option to choose between the SP and MP accelerations (no plans for that at the moment though).
Yea, I was big on the "softlock" aim assist. And by that, you do mean the little bit of assist you get when you 1st scope in right? Or something else? I was big on using the iron sights alot (all midrange and long range kills and sometimes close range), probably more than most people did during the beta. That's how I racked up most of my headshots. Now, I'm pretty much forced to shoot from the hip most of the time, when it was the opposite before.

I guess by soft-lock you basically mean auto-aim but just barely. I'm not really sure what it is now that forces me to shoot from the hip. I think it's a combination of everything. Plus that whole acceleration thing I was talking about before (still working on the diagram).

Didnt even realize you were a developer until I just checked your post history. It's cool to know that some issues that I was having, are being checked into. About the diagonal sensitivity issue though. It just seemed like the sensitivity for diagonal directions were higher than the x-axis/y-axis sensitivities, that's all. It doesnt bother me all that much now.

I bet that's pretty hard to read through lol

.GqueB. said:
Its a godawful cheap class. Rocket launcher wielding running back with more health than everyone else on the map.

They have such limited versatility, though.

1-D_FTW

They fixed the deadzone? Like a third of my joystick was a deadzone. That coupled with the fact I haven't played a console shooter in five years had me quitting the game after the first day. Gonna have to give it another shot. Thank goodness they came to their senses on this.

Zeliard said:
I probably need to do this. Getting the intermittent disconnects as well (with a Netgear, no less - the thing works exceptionally well for everything else).

Also, dunno about anyone else, but when I get disconnected from Killzone 2 servers I still remain connected to PSN the entire time.

Can't speak to how this will help any specific problems you guys are having, but it does remove one variable when trying to hunt down the issue.

Good lord I just attempted to upgrade my router using that $60 dollar router to $600 router and I have never been so afraid and confused in my life.

To upgrade your router use dd-wrt.v24-9517-VINT_std.bin but not Use dd-wrt.v24-9527-VINT_std.bin as using Use dd-wrt.v24-9527-VINT_std.bin will permanently brick your router and likely burn your house down. 0_0

.GqueB. said:

shoot them in the head ffs.

man that list of 'cheap' stuff is getting longer every day lol

cloak.
disguise
assault
shotgun
rocket.

The game would be bland as hell without some fun stuff like these. Not to accuse, but it always sounds like gamers just have a permanent hair up their ass about dying PERIOD and anything that kills them is cheap or bullshit

Angst

Someone mentioned Day of Defeat above and that got me thinking about what Half Life mod KZ2 (mp) reminds me of:

Frontline Force mod for Half Life 1 (last time I checked they where still working on a HL2 mod).

Found some info - http://www.moddb.com/mods/front-line-force and obviously the graphics isn't exactly the same as KZ2, but the feel of online certainly is.

Top Bottom