• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TANKFARM

So I'm renting the game right now and have only played about two hours of SP and 30 minutes of multiplayer. Those of you that also have a 360 and play Halo, Gears, or COD, is it worth to keep this game for multiplayer? Would you say the online experience is equal to any of those 3? I am trying to decide within the next few days, so I can either send this game back to Gamefly or buy it before RE5 comes out.

.GqueB.

Banned
TANKFARM said:
So I'm renting the game right now and have only played about two hours of SP and 30 minutes of multiplayer. Those of you that also have a 360 and play Halo, Gears, or COD, is it worth to keep this game for multiplayer? Would you say the online experience is equal to any of those 3? I am trying to decide within the next few days, so I can either send this game back to Gamefly or buy it before RE5 comes out.
Its an hard comparison. I think games like COD4, R2 and KZ2 make Halo and Gears seem rather dated imo.

krypt0nian said:
I can't even ping 198.162.1.1.

When I run TFTP it fails 3/3. I assume the password field is my old router PW?

Did you set yourself up with a static IP address first? Your PC that you are using to upgrade the firmware, that is.

EDIT and no, the password field will be left blank

gregor7777 said:
Did you set yourself up with a static IP address first? Your PC that you are using to upgrade the firmware, that is.

EDIT and no, the password field will be left blank

Yes. 192.168.1.100 as instructed.

EazyB said:
If GG wants to be a top tier shooter franchise holder than they have to have a strong GAF representation:

IW has at least 2 guys that post here now and then.

Bungie has 3 guys that post pretty often in the Halo thread along with 2-3 other guys that pop in from time to time.

It comes with the territory :p

There is at least one.

Zeliard

TANKFARM said:

You're renting it through Gamefly, so just keep it for as long as you need to to make your decision.

I'd recommend unlocking at least one class before returning it, if you are.

For what it's worth, despite my gripes about Killzone 2's MP (namely the disconnects), I don't think any console-exclusive shooter beats it in that regard. Or the single-player, for that matter. The game's top-notch.

krypt0nian said:
Yeah transposed the nums here. It's 192.168.1.100 alright.

Right now when I ipconfig it shows no ip add though. :(

Ah, yeah, it's your PC that's borked right now then.

Try these settings:

IP: 192.168.1.200
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You most certainly should be showing an IP address in ipconfig if these are set up properly.

TANKFARM said:

The online experience is different. It requires more team coordination. I'm having a blast with it and I definitely think it's worth keeping.

The only truly major flaw that I have is the lack of a party system with some kind of matchmaking. It makes it difficult to form a group of friends and join BALANCED games.

Negaiido

I actually like it as the way it is right now. No problem for me.
One thing I don't get, what was the problem with the shotgun?

Nizz

icechai said:
you guys are nitpicky :p Maybe its cuz i'm always trying to move out of the helghast spawn when i'm HG but it looks great still, and i think there's more environmental destruction? Either that or it happens more now since engineers repair that gun turret in the center :p
Oh no doubt, I still think it looks fantastic! I'll even quote my post again. ;)
fps fanatic said:
I noticed this change, too. In the beta, Radec Academy, starting from the Helghast spawn point, looked darker and grittier. When I played online for the first time with the final game, it was a pretty stark difference. Now from that same spawn point, that locker/shower? room looks blue. It's nitpicking though, cause I still think the game looks fantastic. But yeah, this map looks different from the beta...
Am I the only one who'd love to play the Radec Academy map in the nighttime setting?

gregor7777 said:
Ah, yeah, it's your PC that's borked right now then.

Try these settings:

IP: 192.168.1.200
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You most certainly should be showing an IP address in ipconfig if these are set up properly.

After checking the wireless network config in vistA it looks correct but after rebooting it says media disconnected when I ipconfig. WTF?

By no means a net genius but this should be simple.

krypt0nian said:
After checking the wireless network config in vistA it looks correct but after rebooting it says media disconnected when I ipconfig. WTF?

By no means a net genius but this should be simple.

Just to verify, you do have an ethernet cable running from the PC to the router, and in turn, from the router to the modem right now, correct?

This cannot be done with wireless, there is no way to connect.

The setting I listed above apply to your ethernet connection. Applying them in your wireless config will do nothing.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
TANKFARM said:

It's every bit their equal. The online functions are a bit dusty, but the game is awesome.

It's going to be strange adjusting to different controls, I'm glad MLB has robbed a lot of playtime haha.

careful

Felix Lighter said:
The online experience is different. It requires more team coordination. I'm having a blast with it and I definitely think it's worth keeping.

The only truly major flaw that I have is the lack of a party system with some kind of matchmaking. It makes it difficult to form a group of friends and join BALANCED games.
I also miss full team chat for when you're with a big group of friends.

Zeliard

{Mike} said:
barely acceptable

THIS SHIT KEEPS DISCONNECTING

I really do think that if GG can't localize this issue and fix it, they should at least do something about the fact that if you do get disconnected, you lose all of your points and possible ribbons from that match.

If you get disconnected often, it makes it impossible to rank up and unlock badges at non-glacial speeds.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man, that
bridge
level was a pain in the ass. Twice did I successfully take it, only to
be killed by my own fucking tank
as soon as the "MISSION COMPLETED" icon popped up.

not sure if it's been posted yet.

These are the killzone2 1.2 patch notes as posted by a mod on killzone.com forums

* Stability issue regarding randomly named games resolved.
* Stability fix when rapidly tapping (X) can cause crash on spawn-select.
* Stability issue regarding Saboteur’s disguise ability resolved.
* Stability fix on ‘Creating game’ with a blank name.
* Stability fix for repeatedly entering exiting game.
* The Ignore list functionality corrected.
* Unlock of “Frontrunner” Medal now functioning correctly.
* Fix for incorrect award of win to clan not showing for game resolved.
* Battle Replay for Corinth Crossing not appearing correctly on www.killzone.com.
* Issue with not being able to defuse the Search and Destroy objective resolved.
* HUD issue correction during Assassination mode when playing as a Medic.
* Controller input tweaks and modifications.
* Fix for auto-lock on of shotgun exploit.
* Fix for D-Charge issues in Campaign mode.

Nizz

navanman said:
New controls are cool with me. I'm better at the MP now. Yeah!
Have you tried single player also? The tweaks to the controls apply to the single player also, right?

careful said:
I also miss full team chat for when you're with a big group of friends.

Oh man, someone kept bitching about chat yesterday in the GAFw games. Was that you?

I personally love how chat works besides the bastard shittalking bigots who need to say their feelings everytime they kill you.

Nightz

Asked this in the clan thread, but how did the GAF tournament go yesterday? Who won the matches? I'm at work so I can't really check at the moment.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
KilgoreTrout said:
I personally love how chat works besides the bastard shittalking bigots who need to say their feelings everytime they kill you.

Proximity chat is quite interesting, especially when you zap an Engineer with the revival gun. They get PISSED.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Forgive me GAF for a stupid question. I have unlocked the Medic Badge and can select to play as a Medic but how the flip do I revive someone?

so, what exactly was changed with the controls? I hear more auto aim one place, then more loose another, and more twitchy from another. Is there a good idea of the changes?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
navanman said:
Forgive me GAF for a stupid question. I have unlocked the Medic Badge and can select to play as a Medic but how the flip do I revive someone?

left on the control pad

Zeliard

Musashi Wins! said:
exactly! I've never understood people not noticing that.

It's a lot more subtle than in other console games, though. A lot of the people who complained about the controls actually felt that there wasn't any aim assist at all.

Not that I'm saying that everyone who doesn't like the controls is simply too used to aim assist-heavy games, but it probably plays a part with some people given how many times I've seen it mentioned.

navanman said:

Hit right on the dpad to bring out the medic gun, then shoot as normal.

FAKE EDIT - It might be left on the dpad...it's one of the two.

Smokey

I rented the game from Gamefly and started playing MP today. Of course the game didn't come with an instruction manual or anything so I'm kind of confused on how the ribbons work?

I thought you could be different classes? Or do you have to play a lot before this happens? What about acquiring new weapons? Healing people etc?

I tried logging on to killzone.com and look at the FAQ but the site has been really slow or not uploading at all.

navanman said:

Left on the D-pad and then R1 while aiming at the person you want to revive.

Waay late

gregor7777 said:
Just to verify, you do have an ethernet cable running from the PC to the router, and in turn, from the router to the modem right now, correct?

This cannot be done with wireless, there is no way to connect.

The setting I listed above apply to your ethernet connection. Applying them in your wireless config will do nothing.

I was still transposing the 198/192!

I'm ALIVE! Thanks so much for talking me off the ledge!

Top Bottom