• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

cameltoe

Smokey said:
I rented the game from Gamefly and started playing MP today. Of course the game didn't come with an instruction manual or anything so I'm kind of confused on how the ribbons work?

I thought you could be different classes? Or do you have to play a lot before this happens? What about acquiring new weapons? Healing people etc?

I tried logging on to killzone.com and look at the FAQ but the site has been really slow or not uploading at all.

when need to rank up to get those abilities and classes

Smokey

Crap I was last post on previous page, here is what I posted:

I rented the game from Gamefly and started playing MP today. Of course the game didn't come with an instruction manual or anything so I'm kind of confused on how the ribbons work?

I thought you could be different classes? Or do you have to play a lot before this happens? What about acquiring new weapons? Healing people etc?

I tried logging on to killzone.com and look at the FAQ but the site has been really slow or not uploading at all.

dfyb

Banned
there a GAF game up? also, do a lot of games ban the revolver? i unlocked it but haven't had a chance to use. guess it could also be bugged and i need to get yet another ribbon (though usually if it says 8/8 and gives me the medal i'm good...)

Smokey said:

You rank up through points to unlock classes. You earn ribbons to unlock different abilities.

2real4tv

Smokey said:

Yeah they have to be unlocked

TheFatOne

Smokey said:

You have to unlock them by gaining levels and acquiring different ribbons. To get ribbons you have to do a specific thing i.e. revive someone 5times in a match. Here is a link that could help you out.

http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psm...nts&kz_news_page=0&kz_news_category=Tutorials

Alias03 said:
Not yet. Just checked

WTF when is it hitting the U.S.?

careful

Smokey said:

How does the Badge system work:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=234936

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Zeliard said:
It's a lot more subtle than in other console games, though. A lot of the people who complained about the controls actually felt that there wasn't any aim assist at all.

Not that I'm saying that everyone who doesn't like the controls is simply too used to aim assist-heavy games, but it probably plays a part with some people given how many times I've seen it mentioned.

I think that was the "heaviness" they programmed into the controls. You can call it lag, dead zone, etc. whatever you want. Some people could adjust and some couldn't. The aim assist didn't seem any less than in CoD, but since turning and moving were a lot less fluid it took more effort. The idea that people have spread in this thread that there wasn't any skill in Halo or CoD sounded like tools. The movement here was just slower...on purpose! I for one liked it, it will be interesting to see what changes the patch brings. I'm just happy the developers are going to stay very involved in the game.

alterno69

Banned
Smokey said:

You start as a regular soldier and as you rank up you unlock the rest of the classes starting with medic, engineer, tactician, sboteur and scout i believe.

Medic can be unlocked after a couple of matches and most class specific abilities are activated pressing Left on the D-Pad.

Weapons are unlocked by getting a certain amount of ribbons in matches, like get 10 kills on 1 round, or heal 5 teammates in 1 round, you need 8 of those ribbons to unlock most of the extra stuff tho some require less.

gregor7777 said:
Awesome, no prob :lol

So the upgrade was a success?

Yeah I get the dd-wrt page. SHould my version be Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) micro?

Going to try and setup my ps3 media server again and see if I can freaking stay online now!

Raist

Banned
Smokey said:
Thanks for the quick responses.

So I already have the healing gun or w/e by default?

No, you have to unlock the medic class. Its default ability is the revive gun, then if you revive 5 people during a match, and do it 8 times, you unlock the health packs.

Zeliard

Smokey said:
Thanks for the quick responses.

So I already have the healing gun or w/e by default?

Yes, that is your primary ability that no other class can possess. If you revive enough people (five per round) and get enough ribbons for it, you eventually get a badge that gives you your secondary ability: med packs. You can use them to either heal yourself or others.

Edit: thought you already had the medic class. Yeah, you need that first.

Just finished the Cruiser level last night. (I know it's taking me awhile to get through SP).

One of the best levels out of any FPS released this gen. The flow and look of that level just struck me as genius. Great balance of run and gun, strategic gun battles and a nice little break up in the action midway. Absolutely outstanding design. Hopefully will finally finish up SP tonight and jump into some MP.

krypt0nian said:
Yeah I get the dd-wrt page. SHould my version be Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) micro?

Going to try and setup my ps3 media server again and see if I can freaking stay online now!

Sounds right, yep.

Username and password will likely be:
* username: root
* password: admin

...if set initially at all.

Make sure you change those obviously. And then do whatever you need to do to set up your wireless however you like it, security, SSID and such.

dfyb

Banned
i ran into like 5 games where the revolver was banned (last one even had the sniper rifle banned). i hate scrubs that do that shit -- same thing goes for AWP in CS. i hope GAF games never pussy out and ban shit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I too have the game from gamefly, and all the classes being behind an unlock wall annoyed me quite a bit, at first.

BUT, the more I played, the more I realized that the game provides you with ample stopping power, right from the beginning.

The moment Killzone 2 "clicked" with me was after about ~90 minutes of multiplayer when I realized your starting gun can kill someone from very, VERY far across a map. It can reach out and touch the enemy in a way that starting guns in other FPS titles don't. A ballsy decision, to give everyone that much range, right from the start.

I've unlocked about half the weapons/classes now, and I'm still using that default gun. Shotty is great, but I always lament the loss of range, anytime I use it.

Just about the only aspect of multiplayer leveling up that I think is bullshit is the perk that gives you more starting ammo - you start with FAR FAR too little, before you have it.

starting to get in the swing of this game a lil.. kd is still horrible, but I'm having frustrating fun. One thing that is annoying me about a lot of new online games is that the post game lobby is never really explained.. you just have to figure out what your stats are by deduction and experience.

dfyb said:
i ran into like 5 games where the revolver was banned (last one even had the sniper rifle banned). i hate scrubs that do that shit -- same thing goes for AWP in CS. i hope GAF games never pussy out and ban shit.

What? You mean like assault class :s

Zeliard

Byakuya769 said:
starting to get in the swing of this game a lil.. kd is still horrible, but I'm having frustrating fun. One thing that is annoying me about a lot of new online games is that the post game lobby is never really explained.. you just have to figure out what your stats are by deduction and experience.

Dunno if it says it in the manual. I found it online. A couple are obvious, like kills and deaths. One of them is negative points coming from team kills/suicides, and the other one is mission points.

Owensboro

Zeliard said:
Dunno if it says it in the manual. I found it online. A couple are obvious, like kills and deaths. One of them is negative points coming from team kills/suicides, and the other one is mission points.

Oh! it's mission points? I thought it was Assists! I kept getting way more of those then kills so I figured it had to be assists :lol.

.GqueB.

Banned
ninjavanish said:
not sure if it's been posted yet.

These are the killzone2 1.2 patch notes as posted by a mod on killzone.com forums

* Stability issue regarding randomly named games resolved.
* Stability fix when rapidly tapping (X) can cause crash on spawn-select.
* Stability issue regarding Saboteur’s disguise ability resolved.
* Stability fix on ‘Creating game’ with a blank name.
* Stability fix for repeatedly entering exiting game.
* The Ignore list functionality corrected.
* Unlock of “Frontrunner” Medal now functioning correctly.
* Fix for incorrect award of win to clan not showing for game resolved.
* Battle Replay for Corinth Crossing not appearing correctly on www.killzone.com.
* Issue with not being able to defuse the Search and Destroy objective resolved.
* HUD issue correction during Assassination mode when playing as a Medic.
* Controller input tweaks and modifications.
* Fix for auto-lock on of shotgun exploit.
* Fix for D-Charge issues in Campaign mode.
Wtf youre here too? Get the hell on the STICKS. Youre not on KZ2 very oft.

Kerning from 1up

Zeliard said:

thanks, did you find it on kz.com? or somewhere else?

.GqueB.

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
EAST 3 CLAN PRACTICE GOING UP NOW!

Join from the my clan page.
Oh dude friend me. I forgot to friend you once I accepted the clan invite.

PSN GqueB

I wont be on until later. Work and such.

rSpooky

Alias03 said:
Not yet. Just checked
it makes no farking sense to wait this long to patch the US version. Nice ay to create a disadvantage between euri and US players ( for cross country play). and no I had no problems with the controls but if they are better with th epatch indeed, then there it sux.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
rSpooky said:
it makes no farking sense to wait this long to patch the US version. Nice ay to create a disadvantage between euri and US players ( for cross country play). and no I had no problems with the controls but if they are better with th epatch indeed, then there it sux.

It just landed there, man. Give yourself a breather. They're kinda proving their dedication.

cameltoe

Raist said:
No, you have to unlock the medic class. Its default ability is the revive gun, then if you revive 5 people during a match, and do it 8 times, you unlock the health packs.

One more revive ribbon and health packs are gonna fly!!

rSpooky

Musashi Wins! said:
It just landed there, man. Give yourself a breather. They're kinda proving their dedication.
im breathing ..lol. just felt like bitching for the sake of bitching :lol

cant play now anyway , wife and kids occupying the ps3 with harry potter.
now hurry up GG .grrrrrr :p

Smokey

Wait..you guys don't have the patch?

Or has there been more than 1 patch put out?

I popped in the game for the 1st time last night and was prompted with a update, and thought everybody had it. Reading some posts here it looks like not everybody does?

And to whomever asked about the crouch toggle, yes it's there.

.GqueB. said:
Wtf youre here too? Get the hell on the STICKS. Youre not on KZ2 very oft.

Kerning from 1up

I'm here too. I need to join up with some of you guys, I haven't played with any friends yet. I'm sick of playing with random people.

SappYoda

29m97df.png

Here is a pic of the replay feature in killzone.com

You can watch your own matches inside your profile.

.GqueB.

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I'm here too. I need to join up with some of you guys, I haven't played with any friends yet. I'm sick of playing with random people.
Oh sweet. Yea man whenever Im on just shoot me a message. Mostly nights. But I may be on a bit more these days since my freelance gig is about to end.

Smokey said:

I popped in the game for the 1st time last night and was prompted with a update, and thought everybody had it. Reading some posts here it looks like not everybody does?

yes there is more then one patch, the first was for the error code people were getting the second is the "fixes" which is not yet up in the US yet.

jjasper

Smokey said:

This is the 2nd patch.

Top Bottom