• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Owensboro

Wait...there's a fucking tunnel when you fight that ATAC? Are you kidding me? I beat it on Vetran just dodging around the central pillar. It took me like 30 tries!

Oh well, after tallying up around 18ish hours in multiplayer I decided to go back and try the campaign on the hardest setting. I feel like a GOD in single player now. Spending all that time chasing around people and getting killed over and over must have paid off. I think the controls have almost clicked (thank god).

Looking forward to playing with y'all some more on GAF servers duders! Had a good time tonight.

Nafai1123

Banned
Man, I'm so fucking happy right now. Saw the Watchmen in IMAX today (pretty sure some of the 1up crew was there as well), Had an awesome dinner, got some green from my friend as a bday gift, came home, dled the new patch and had a blast on the GAF server. Good day :D

Just finished campaign. Took me around 9 hrs on tropper difficulty. I can't understand why GG decided to add infinite respawn when overall AI is good. Haven't played it on harder difficulty but from others' impression I take it is better. If climax difficulty is needed then pump up AI rather than keep respawning new enemies.

Using sniper rifle in last level
just before killing redac
, was pain in the ass due to lack of toggle crouch option. I had to use crouch, peeking, scope at the same time. (using alternate 2 control scheme)

I like cutscenes. Was hoping for couple of more cutscenes with visari in it. He was only in first and last scene. Does he get more screen time in Killzone 1?

Ending pretty much confirms Killzone 3. Overall fun campaign. Will play again to unlock trophies. And may be some MP.

icechai

omg i just magnumed someone's rocket when we were fighting in salamun market, HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!! Changed the trajectory so it hit the ground near him ^_^

WinFonda

Beat the campaign tonight. Truly an electrifying game with frenetic action from start to finish. Accompanied by superb sound design and a rousing, pumping orchestral soundtrack. The game can be a true challenge and features some incredible AI - and also plenty of replay value.

9.5/10 for me.

MirageDwarf said:
Just finished campaign. Took me around 9 hrs on tropper difficulty. I can't understand why GG decided to add infinite respawn when overall AI is good. Haven't played it on harder difficulty but from others' impression I take it is better. If climax difficulty is needed then pump up AI rather than keep respawning new enemies.

Using sniper rifle in last level
just before killing redac
, was pain in the ass due to lack of toggle crouch option. I had to use crouch, peeking, scope at the same time. (using alternate 2 control scheme)

I like cutscenes. Was hoping for couple of more cutscenes with visari in it. He was only in first and last scene. Does he get more screen time in Killzone 1?

Ending pretty much confirms Killzone 3. Overall fun campaign. Will play again to unlock trophies. And may be some MP.
i didn't even touch the sniper rifle in that level..

Thrakier

The KZ2 savegame is locked. What happens to my online stats, trophies, unlocked weapons etc. if I have to start the game on a new PS3?

WinFonda

adversesolutions said:
Seriously, whoever programmed the AI in this game earned their paycheck.
Absolutely. Everyone did. I'll replay the game some more, but there really aren't any components that fall short. Fantastic job everyone who worked on the game.

cluto

Am I the only one who hates the shotgun in multiplayer? The majority of my deaths are because of it and almost every time it seems like bullshit compared to the other ways I could be dying. I want to do the engineer ribbons but I can't use the shotgun because I suck at using it because I hate it, and it would make me a hypocrite.

And why can't I use an SMG as a Medic? Is the regular soldier class the only class that can use the SMG? I'm only up to the assault badge.

tribal24

Banned
KillJade said:
I hope you little whiney cunt bitches are happy. You have your gay CoD controls now. Bitches.

is the diffrence that big -_-sigh i liked the original way i dl the patch tommrow when i wake up

_tetsuo_ said:
Difference is huge to me
Okay, you're more sensitive to subtile changes than others in this, but rest assured, there are others like you that feel the same way.

i thought it was an improvement by the way. now small movements feel more natural

ChryZ

I finished the campaign a few days ago. First run, veteran.

Such a rich experience. I forced myself NOT to stop, NOT to stare at textures/details and followed the flow of the game. Even when it rushed me through the highly detailed environments . It wasn't much of a problem to let go, because of the whole immersion.

I think the characters designs are great. Yes, even Rico. He's way too impulsive, but a good guy at heart. I can't understand, how people could call any of those characters assholes.

The events and stages were patched together nicely with small chunks of story. I was really moved at times and cared for my squad/commander. Jan Templar's speech was delivered perfectly. My eyes watered up a bit. I didn't expected all this from a shooter.

The story reminded me a lot of Starship Trooper, Saving Private Ryan (only the d-day scene), Apocalypse Now (madness) and Full Metal Jacket (not the training, the second half). There was little to non glorification of war. Killzone2 is really more like an anti-war game.

I, for one, bow to Guerrilla Games.

Always-honest said:
Okay, you're more sensitive to subtile changes than others in this, but rest assured, there are others like you that feel the same way.

i thought it was an improvement by the way. now small movements feel more natural
Well ya they are better no doubt but I think I enjoyed it more before because of its uniqueness, im glad people cant use the controls against the game anymore so thats a plus.

Beat the SP a few days ago. Great game. I'd give the SP a 9.5 out of 10. Didn't really like the ending, but then again most of this generations games have had sucky endings minus a few stories coming to an end, like Halo 3 and MGS 4.

Haven't tried MP yet. Probably mess around with that on Monday when I'm off.

KillJade

Banned
Exarchos said:
Am I the only one who hates the shotgun in multiplayer? The majority of my deaths are because of it and almost every time it seems like bullshit compared to the other ways I could be dying. I want to do the engineer ribbons but I can't use the shotgun because I suck at using it because I hate it, and it would make me a hypocrite.

And why can't I use an SMG as a Medic? Is the regular soldier class the only class that can use the SMG? I'm only up to the assault badge.

The shotty is terrible. I fucking hate being killed by a noob from 30ft away. Atleat they got rid of the gay glitch. Now we';; see who is really good at it. I'll still cry foul if i get killed by it....bitches.

Rorschach

I heard people talking about the controls? What did they do? Just make the sensitivity higher? Mine was already up anyway, so maybe that's why I didn't notice. I was sniping ok. :D

Always-honest said:
:lol :lol that's a great mode. did he make it or did he die? rawr
If the games I've played while he was in the room are any indication, he died a horrible, horrible death.

Exarchos said:
Is the regular soldier class the only class that can use the SMG? I'm only up to the assault badge.
Saboteur uses it.

I don't know if it's placebo, or what, but either I got a lot better at SP from last night to tonight, or the game got a lot easier, or the new controls really did help a lot. :D

I was doing fine in the game before (I am at Suljeva Village now), but it really seemed to take a lot of effort to get a bead on a guy before, whereas now it's no problem.

I'm sure the game heard me type that and will now fuck me up for my insolence.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
KillJade said:
The fact that they changed it is enough to make such an "asinine" comment. yea...bitches.
You haven't used the patched controls yet. They are still weighty and they still aren't like call of duty. I barely even notice a change. Just don't judge them without having used them. Also I'd advise you to stop using the word "gay" in the way that you do.

Midas

Okay, for whatever reason my game get stuck at "Syncing clients...". Could play perfectly fine a few hours ago. Anyone familiar with this?

dk_

Mik2121 said:
ATTENTION:

EUROPE GAF CLAN MATCH STARTING IN 4 MINUTES. IF YOU ARE AROUND HERE, GET INSIDE!.

GAFe MEMBERS, GET IN!!!
How can the Euro GAF clan match be at 5 AM?

wtfisthishit

Wait, they changed the controls via patch? I didn't have a problem with the controls, but something did feel slightly different tonight and I even noticed some auto aiming at the final boss. I earned the Untouchable trophy and I am actually going through Elite now. I am just halfway through the first stage and it is pretty tough so far, but I think I can do it. I don't know about the last stage though. Did anyone hear the Helghast say, "My SMG is ready to rock!" I had to chuckle at that for some reason because he sounded so happy when he said it and then I gave him a head shot a second later.

KillJade

Banned
NameGenerated said:
You haven't used the patched controls yet. They are still weighty and they still aren't like call of duty. I barely even notice a change. Just don't judge them without having used them. Also I'd advise you to stop using the word "gay" in the way that you do.

Fair enough. I don't recall using the word "gay" but I'll stop. I tried the new patch offline since I keep getting the -999 error. Feels the same. So I apologize :(

Future

Rhazer Fusion said:
Wait, they changed the controls via patch? I didn't have a problem with the controls, but something did feel slightly different tonight and I even noticed some auto aiming at the final boss. I earned the Untouchable trophy and I am actually going through Elite now. I am just halfway through the first stage and it is pretty tough so far, but I think I can do it. I don't know about the last stage though. Did anyone hear the Helghast say, "My SMG is ready to rock!" I had to chuckle at that for some reason because he sounded so happy when he said it and then I gave him a head shot a second later.

Been stuck on that last stage for a few days now on Elite. About to download the patch now and see if it makes it any easier control wise.

I dig the weighty controls....
But that last scenario almost begs for COD like precision because of all the crap they throw at you. 6-8 dudes on the ground firing at me, and a couple of others headin upstairs to nail me point blank. Plus invincible Radec firing at me non-stop in the distance. Grenades flushing me out. Constantly needing to heal Rico since he isnt so great at helping me. Geesh

Spruchy

KillJade said:
Fair enough. I don't recall using the word "gay" but I'll stop. I tried the new patch offline since I keep getting the -999 error. Feels the same. So I apologize :(

KillJade said:
The shotty is terrible. I fucking hate being killed by a noob from 30ft away. Atleat they got rid of the gay glitch. Now we';; see who is really good at it. I'll still cry foul if i get killed by it....bitches.

ya hear?

So I've probably played this game about 15-20 hours now after tonight. It's probably my favorite shooter this generation. If they could make a couple improvements to the lobby/clan/party system MP would be just awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally played a few multiplayer games (well, got DCed from a few anyway). While I can live with the single player controls, I wished they played like the Warzone controls. The Warzone controls felt great, way better than the single player set.

So my rank emblem just turned purple right now. That means top 6% in points or what? I only have like 300 points this week and I think thats pretty low to reach the top 6%. Do I have to maintain my position in the top percentage of people till sunday to get the trophy or what?

dazed808

Thrakier said:
The KZ2 savegame is locked. What happens to my online stats, trophies, unlocked weapons etc. if I have to start the game on a new PS3?

Tried moving mine yesterday to the ps3 upstairs and yep definitley locked out for SP but played MP for a good few hours and all stats etc were saved when I fired up again downstairs in the eve.
If you check your stats ingame on the ps3 without the save file on it won't show any SP progress which did worry me, but all was cool when I checked again later on the other machine:D

Edit: Oh, also could use some advice on how the c4 works, as I was laying it around last night and hardly got any kills at all - is it best to stick it to walls or is on the floor just as effective?? Is there a time limit to how long it will sit there for before disappearing??

Future said:
Been stuck on that last stage for a few days now on Elite. About to download the patch now and see if it makes it any easier control wise.

I dig the weighty controls....
But that last scenario almost begs for COD like precision because of all the crap they throw at you. 6-8 dudes on the ground firing at me, and a couple of others headin upstairs to nail me point blank. Plus invincible Radec firing at me non-stop in the distance. Grenades flushing me out. Constantly needing to heal Rico since he isnt so great at helping me. Geesh

I believe it. That part was rough on Normal, so I can only imagine how it would be on Elite. To be perfectly honest with you, that part did seem slightly easier tonight. Definitely not looking forward to this part on Elite though. I basically hid in the top right corner and ducked down every now and then to catch my breath and then let the enemies have it on the ground below me as well as the guys coming up. Normally, I didn't get hit. Rico did distract them sometimes which was advantageous to me obviously. When the RPG guys come out I hid behind the first pole in front of the right back corner on the top and waited until the coast was clear. Then I ran towards the front of the left side and tried to the best of my ability to take out the RPG soldiers. I sprayed the grenade launcher, grenades and bullets all over in their area and took cover. Near the end of the part, I went down to the bottom to take out the remaining RPG Helghast and it was actually easier. I am not sure if that strategy will work on Elite though.

Charles

So, I've been having a slight problem lately. I've been trying the level up my pistol and get the sidearm ribbon, but in the last couple of games I killed over 10 people with the pistol but I wasn't awarded the ribbon.

Is there another variable that I need to do that I don't know about?

Future

Downloaded a patch and dont notice much of a difference. My sniper reticle seems easier to focus on dudes possibly, but maybe its just cuz I've gotten better at the game.

Last fight area on Elite still seems borderline impossible IMO. I feel like I will probably squeeze though eventually, but there is literally often nowhere to hide or go and can only pray I stay alive long enough during a black and white screen for the next checkpoint. A poorly designed encounter IMO. 10 times harder than anything else in the game. God dammit.

EDIT

I believe it. That part was rough on Normal, so I can only imagine how it would be on Elite. To be perfectly honest with you, that part did seem slightly easier tonight. Definitely not looking forward to this part on Elite though.

Whats killin me is when the dudes run upstairs after you. Where the hell can you go? They come around both sides, Rico gets killed almost instantly, dudes firing at you below as well....cant kill em before they get to me.
I have a feeling a lucky placed grenade is gonna be the difference. I havent even gotten to the RPG guys yet haha

Now that I think about it, I am playing on Elite now without a reticle for my aiming and I seem to be nailing targets just as easy as when I had it on. I might even like it better without it.

Rhazer Fusion said:
Now that I think about it, I am playing on Elite now without a reticle for my aiming and I seem to be nailing targets just as easy as when I had it on. I might even like it better without it.
yep, it's more natural/ real to use ironsight. it's slightly harder with the guns that don't have it though

Future said:
Downloaded a patch and dont notice much of a difference. My sniper reticle seems easier to focus on dudes possibly, but maybe its just cuz I've gotten better at the game.

Last fight area on Elite still seems borderline impossible IMO. I feel like I will probably squeeze though eventually, but there is literally often nowhere to hide or go and can only pray I stay alive long enough during a black and white screen for the next checkpoint. A poorly designed encounter IMO. 10 times harder than anything else in the game. God dammit.

EDIT

Whats killin me is when the dudes run upstairs after you. Where the hell can you go? They come around both sides, Rico gets killed almost instantly, dudes firing at you below as well....cant kill em before they get to me.
I have a feeling a lucky placed grenade is gonna be the difference. I havent even gotten to the RPG guys yet haha

Not sure if this applies to Elite, but I basically hid behind the poles in the back corner and nailed them as soon as I had them range and even let them come to me. The grenade launcher helps out for those guys that coe up top, but be careful with close range attacks obviously. Also, I tried to nail them as soon as they come up the stairs and hopefully by the time they are dead, you can turn around and help exterminate the other ones near Rico. I actually watch the stairs just as much, if not more than the bottom floor. I try to take cover as much as possible and reload every chance I get so I won't run out of bullets when trying to kill an enemy. You are not kidding about the COD aiming precision being required for this area. My aiming was near perfect tonight and it was still challenging. I wish you the best on Elite. I heard this is one of the most difficult modes in any videogame, so don't get discouraged. Hopefully, I make it to the end sooner than later.

Future said:

that part and the guys with the rockets were pissing me off so much i thought about never playing single player ever again

alba

Little is the new Big
Future said:

see those dudes on the topfloor with the flamethrowers? (rush them and melee them since they're busing putting the wall on fire) then save the weapon for later and then hide on the top of the stairs, when they come rushing... just blast them away in fire since whenever they're on fire they just stop running and go all IM BURNING, IM BURNING! :D

Top Bottom