• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Future

alba said:
see those dudes on the topfloor with the flamethrowers? (rush them and melee them since they're busing putting the wall on fire) then save the weapon for later and then hide on the top of the stairs, when they come rushing... just blast them away in fire since whenever they're on fire they just stop running and go all IM BURNING, IM BURNING! :D

Thats a damn good idea. I've been going to the stair part already, cuz its the only place safe from Radec and the dudes that stay below, but usually have my grenade launcher...not the flame thrower. Might actually be easier to sprinkle down fire on em

You die so fast on Elite that 2+ AI charging right at you = death quickly. So the fact that they charge you is bad enough...but the fact that they come on BOTH sides..AND you have to defeat multiple waves of them to get to the next check point...AND they spawn 5-6 of the super aggressive guys that knife when close... Fuckin Brutal :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Future said:
Thats a damn good idea. I've been going to the stair part already, cuz its the only place safe from Radec and the dudes that stay below, but usually have my grenade launcher...not the flame thrower. Might actually be easier to sprinkle down fire on em

You die so fast on Elite that 2+ AI charging right at you = death quickly. So the fact that they charge you is bad enough...but the fact that they come on BOTH sides..AND you have to defeat multiple waves of them to get to the next check point...AND they spawn 5-6 of the super aggressive guys that knife when close... Fuckin Brutal :p

Wait before switching to the flamethrower. Use the last rounds of the grenade launcher to try and kill some of those rolling motherfuckers while they are still on the bottom floor, approaching the gates.

Also, use hand grenades. Toss them to the rolling motherfuckers coming from the other side of the balcony while you burn those coming from the side you are at.

Dante

holy shit...HOLY F'n SHIT!! EPIC battles tonight online....I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but I am way more effective with the controls after the patch. I'm kinda glad that InFamous is a June release now, because I don't see KZ2 leaving my PS3 drive for a Looooooooong time.

When you have a team that clicks there is simply NOTHING better....NOTHING!

a couple of questions.

Did they get rid f your round ranking on the HUD? All the matches I had tonight did not display it.

The Shotgun fix is a fukkin Godsend. I am playing Engineer currently, and I am soooo happy to see it go.

What's more important to you as a player? Your faction winning or raking up XP? For me there is nothing more satisfying than winning 7-0 r 6-1 :D

If you got Spawn grenades USE EM!!

I think Blood Gracht is my least fav map TOTAL CHAOS every time

I think I am ready for GAF matches :)

Oh...and OMG @ over 1 million views already :D

TEH-CJ

Banned
Always-honest said:
what difficulty did he play it on? i always felt i really had to fight hard and push forward inch by inch. the final level is pretty epic.. and can only be compared with the final level in CoD Waw, not CoD4...

He finished it on veteran lol

I agree tho, the whole game is epic from start to finish. he is a huge cod4 fan tho, so maybe his blinded :p.

alba

Little is the new Big
Future said:

as long as you stay in that corner and from time to time go rush and revive rico, as long as he's alive they won't rush you or flank you from the other stairs, they'll keep focusing on him and a few of them will focus on you. I only used the grenade launcher for the rocket launcher guys, basically what i did was kill the two flamethrower wielding dudes from the previous wave, took their flame throwers and did the first part with those and THEN killed the ones on the top and kept that one for the rushing grunt who comes at the very last wave. You have the regular helghast rifle, grenade launcher, flamethrowers, sniper rifle, you just need to know when to switch and how to use those properly and once you get the tactic down, it'll go really smoothly :)

edit:
also another nice thing camping on the left part of the stairs is once you hear somekind of heavy "door" sound, that's where you use your hand grenades, the reinforcements come from both doors and they unite at the end of the stairs and from that point on if you time your hand grenade right, you can make it explode right in front of them and that makes it a lot easier in the "tougher" waves :)

Future

Haha, just realized that in that final encounter
Radec sometimes tosses infinite grenades at you if you lurk near the top of the stairway.

Thanks for the tips. There are so many ways to die and so damn long between checkpoints that I know I'm going to have to eat some extra Lucky charms to have a chance. TTP had it right...its the damn rolling dudes that finish the job. Wish I could see a dev roll through this to see if they die a bazillion times too.
What the hell is the defense for dudes sprinting right towards you in all directions while shooting, with buddies throwing grenades from below. Rico is insta killed every time this happens
. :p

-viper-

Banned
Killzone 2 is so much more enjoyable on my second playthrough on Veteran.

Not as hard as I thought though - when I first tried Veteran, I couldn't even complete Corinth River. That was the reason why I played the game on normal in my first playthrough! But I've hardly struggled now. Visari Square was pretty tough though.

I can imagine the last level being killer though. Even that was a bit difficult on Normal.

alba

Little is the new Big
Dante said:
Alba....Your theme is godly :) I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

hehe thanks man! (depends on which side you're on you isa scum!)
I should have somekind of preview or something of the isa one soon as well as fixes for the helghast one!

Future said:
Wish I could see a dev roll through this to see if they die a bazillion times too.

I'd like to see that actually :D

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Man the desert level gave me such bad motion sickness, I had to stop playing. MP feels fine for some reason though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I've said it before: Being on a team with people who suck (and I mean thinking everything is fucking TDM and not remotely caring about objectives) fucking sucks. Even shitty players who TRY to help accomplish far more.

When this game's bad, it's fucking bad, and sadly to no fault of it's own. That said it reminds me why I tend to play with friends and such 99% of the time...

/goes to get some cheese

TEH-CJ said:
He finished it on veteran lol

I agree tho, the whole game is epic from start to finish. he is a huge cod4 fan tho, so maybe his blinded :p.

well, i thought that was a very good game.. but in terms of chaotic, immersive and epic battles... killzone2 is a step up imo..

anddo0

I'm not even going to bother with Elite. I had trouble finishing the game on Vet. Well at least the last section; stupid Rico.

KZObsessed

-viper- said:
How much harder is Elite over Veteran?

If you've already completed it on Veteran it's not too hard. You just have to take it a bit slower. If you know what to do on the last section of the last level it's not too bad either. you'll die quite a few times of course, but the last battle was actually more fun for me on Elite than it was on Veteran. It pissed me off to no end the first time on Veteran.

John_B

The chapter/segment selection in the campaign mode is awesome. It's let's you jump to any segment of the game on any difficulty, and if you complete the segment or find bonus items, it counts towards completion. So at any time you can play any segment you like, and you can complete a hard run in any order, as long as you complete all the segments on that difficulty.

It may not seem like a big deal to many, but that type of access makes for much better replay value. Developers please take notes.

Ephemeris

Dave1988 said:
Finished Elite a second ago. The last section is HELL.

Just finished it as well. I think I had a harder time on veteran simply because I didn't know wtf was going on most of the time:lol

As soon as the
intruder came through the window
I was already seeing the endgame in sight, especially since i was armed with the knowledge that
a path to the right side clears up
when this happens.

I loved Elite. Seemed like the closest thing to a "realistic mode" at times. I enjoyed the fact that despite how many bullets their body can hold, 1 headshot is all you need (for most enemies).

I just took a look at my statistics afterward. LoL. After my elite run, I have more knife kills (182) than emplaced gun (145) or assault rifle (176) kills. :lol

Edit: for the record, I definitely had more fun with Elite.

anddo0

John_B said:
The chapter/segment selection in the campaign mode is awesome. It's let's you jump to any segment of the game on any difficulty, and if you complete the segment or find bonus items, it counts towards completion. So at any time you can play any segment you like, and you can complete a hard run in any order, as long as you complete all the segments on that difficulty.

It may not seem like a big deal to many, but that type of access makes for much better replay value. Developers please take notes.

Yeah its a great feature. I wouldn't have finished the game without it. The last section on Vet gave me fits so I went down in difficultly level to finish.

McLovin

-viper- said:
How much harder is Elite over Veteran?
I skipped veteran to go to elite.. I think I might have bit a little more then I can chew.. I might drop down to Vet.. its pretty hard. AI is pretty damn aggressive.

dalin80

Banned
screw that stupid radec balcony section, screw it to hell.

i hate when a daft decision produces a negative feeling for a whole game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Awesome!

I just booted up the game for the first time in a few days to resume the campaign and I was prompted to download the patch. Holy shit! I don't know what they did, but the controls actually work for me now! I can actually connect with the controls and shoot where I intend to be shooting. Awesome! I can finally fully enjoy the game now. The fun factor seriously just shot up a huge amount for me.

_tetsuo_ said:
Difference is huge to me

Yeah, the controls are awesome. I feel much more efficient with my weapon, that is for sure. I love it.

It just seems like the crosshair now moves where you want it to, when you want it to. Feels great to me, and far from some placebo that people wanted to make this out to be.

I have never seen a game get more hate than KZ2, heck, even when they release a patch people are saying it is a fake patch and only a placebo.

Ridiculous;.

XonoX

I posted 24 hours ago back on page 283. Pulling my hairs out bacuse of the last few sections in Veteran mode and was begging for tips.

Thankfully it is finally over. I feel totally spent. Hardest final level i ever played. Thanks for the tips BruceLeeRoy.

I dont think i have the stomach for Elite. Thanks GG.

Now maybe i can try some of this awesome multiplayer action i keep hearing about !

JB1981

Full Recovery said:
The best part was when I heard him say "I bet Full Recovery is going to snipe me while I run out in the open." Then I see Beamber run across the center of Radec Academy and I put him down.

good times.

Yep. I'm surprised you could hear my from that far away actually .... glad you did though :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Yep. I'm surprised you could hear my from that far away actually .... glad you did though :lol

They have to reduce the range tho. It's fucking crazy how far you can be heard. How am I supposed to tell people in my squad what I'm planning to do if enemies 100 meters away from me will catch that? I was about to snipe a guy yesterday who was pretty far away from me so I said like "I see one". And as soon as I did, the target retracted back to cover :(

TTP said:
They have to reduce the range tho. It's fucking crazy how far you can be heard. How am I supposed to tell people in my squad what I'm planning to do if enemies 100 meters away from me will catch that? I was about to snipe a guy yesterday who was pretty far away from me so I said like "I see one". And as soon as I did, the target retracted back to cover :(

In one game I was playing a disguised saboteur was coming towards me but still pretty far away and I heard him say, "See this guy will think I'm on his team, he won't even shoot me." I promptly shot him. Then I heard, "awwwwww."

jmd494

god damn that last section on elite...god fucking damn it (the inner courtyard was a damn bitch too). I'm > 100 deaths now b/w the last two sections and only just now got to the
upper balcony. I'm sure the rocket launcher guys
will kill me another 100 times.

JB1981

Some thoughts on spawn point balance. I think a few things can be explored:

let the enemy invisispawn but do not let them fire while they are invincible! It's cheap that you can throw a spawn point into the middle of a captured area and spawn with virtually no consequences.

Spawn points are supposed to be used "tactically", i.e. placed in a position that is safe to spawn from. I generally place spawn points in "safe" zones because I don't enjoy spawning in the middle of enemy fire. The problem with the current configuration is, in games like Search and Destroy if the enemy throws a spawn point in the middle of the bomb area, they have basically won. As others have said, it just becomes a major cluster fuck and detracts from the enjoyment and "strategy" that should be involved in this particular game type. I guess one could argue that placing a spawn point in the center of the bomb arming area is a SMART placement of spawns but if I was a game designer, I would find other, more creative ways to do this. If it leads to less fun, it shouldn't be encouraged imo. I think this game type fairs much better when there are 16-18 players total (which we had last night and was very fun imo) but I still think some tweaks can be made. I like DFYB's idea to have the opposite team be able to "draw down" your spawn time by occupying the spawn area. Contrary to what he says about the assault class, however, I think it needs to be tweaked because it's terribly overpowered. You have extra armor, faster health regen, quicker speed AND spawn with a fucking rocket launcher? What the fuck. Give the man a shotty or something. Not a goddamn rocket launcher, that is just crazy. Make the reload times on the rocket launcher longer as well too.

On another note, I am glad to see that GG has already patched this game twice and has listened to peoples' concerns. They are obviously committed to making the game the best it can be and are open to criticism. Also, PLEASE PLEASE make the medic packs more visible on the map - give them an aura of blue or red or SOMETHING so we can fucking see where they are.

Also - please consider a party/matchmaking system if you want the popularity of this game to last. If this game had the online set up of Resistance 2, it would very easily be the best multiplayer experience I've had this generation. I have NEVER played a multiplayer game for 5 hours straight like I did last night. Maybe, maybe I played the original Gears that much but that's it. I fucking love this game.

j-wood

Could someone fill me in how how voice chat works? I know there is no push to talk button right?

If you in a squad, can only the other people in the squad here you now? Is there any way to broadcast this to the rest of your team? Whats this about enemies being able to hear you?

Varna

I really love the control tweaks. I'm finding myself being able to get headshots with ease now. In close quarters I'm not spraying like an idiot and even in handgun has some purpose now. No more shotgun abusers either, although the weapon is still a beast in close quarters.

Maybe the higher ranking games are different. But people still don't do shit in the games I'm in right now. Ignore objectives, don't squad up or use the slight amount of cooperation.

I have to get back to SP, MP is too addicting though.

j-wood said:
Could someone fill me in how how voice chat works? I know there is no push to talk button right?

If you in a squad, can only the other people in the squad here you now? Is there any way to broadcast this to the rest of your team? Whats this about enemies being able to hear you?

No push to talk which makes careful tuning of your bluetooth device a must.

I don't know how voice chat changes once your in a squad. Seems like you can hear you mates no matter where you are at. Others can still hear you if you are in proximity (including enemies). I would like to know as much about it as well.

Kittonwy

Banned
BradleyUK said:
Sorry if posted before.

ELPRESADOR: FACTUAL EVIDENCE,YET ANOTHER 360 FAN JUMPS SHIP TO THE TREY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrnZfnA3G4

More prey 4 teh trey rawr.
KlintIndifference.gif

JB1981 said:
Some thoughts on spawn point balance. I think a few things can be explored:

let the enemy invisispawn but do not let them fire while they are invincible! It's cheap that you can throw a spawn point into the middle of a captured area and spawn with virtually no consequences.

Spawn points are supposed to be used "tactically", i.e. placed in a position that is safe to spawn from. I generally place spawn points in "safe" zones because I don't enjoy spawning in the middle of enemy fire. The problem with the current configuration is, in games like Search and Destroy if the enemy throws a spawn point in the middle of the bomb area, they have basically won. As others have said, it just becomes a major cluster fuck and detracts from the enjoyment and "strategy" that should be involved in this particular game type. I guess one could argue that placing a spawn point in the center of the bomb arming area is a SMART placement of spawns but if I was a game designer, I would find other, more creative ways to do this. If it leads to less fun, it shouldn't be encouraged imo. I think this game type fairs much better when there are 16-18 players total (which we had last night and was very fun imo) but I still think some tweaks can be made. I like DFYB's idea to have the opposite team be able to "draw down" your spawn time by occupying the spawn area. Contrary to what he says about the assault class, however, I think it needs to be tweaked because it's terribly overpowered. You have extra armor, faster health regen, quicker speed AND spawn with a fucking rocket launcher? What the fuck. Give the man a shotty or something. Not a goddamn rocket launcher, that is just crazy. Make the reload times on the rocket launcher longer as well too.

On another note, I am glad to see that GG has already patched this game twice and has listened to peoples' concerns. They are obviously committed to making the game the best it can be and are open to criticism. Also, PLEASE PLEASE make the medic packs more visible on the map - give them an aura of blue or red or SOMETHING so we can fucking see where they are.

Also - please consider a party/matchmaking system if you want the popularity of this game to last. If this game had the online set up of Resistance 2, it would very easily be the best multiplayer experience I've had this generation. I have NEVER played a multiplayer game for 5 hours straight like I did last night. Maybe, maybe I played the original Gears that much but that's it. I fucking love this game.

IMO the best way is for spawn grenades (and squad spawn) not to have invincibility. Like in the beta if your spawn is overrun you get murdered on spawn, thus people stop spawning there..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
j-wood said:

It's proxy chat + squads.

No matter what, people within a certain distance of you hear you. Friend and foe alike, if you're alive, they hear you.

You also have squad based chat, which works amongst the squad no matter what. These 2 overlay, so if your squadmate is halfway across the map, and an enemy is close by, and you say "spider monkey", both will hear "spider monkey".

jmd494

Maybe they could fix the spawn problem by either: 1) having the spawn point represent a spawn zone with a 50 yard radius where everyone would spawn randomly within that area or 2) if you throw a spawn point near an objective, you wouldn't actually spawn at the objective...but instead at X distance from the objective.

Thrakier

Does anyone know what happens with your stats and unlocked weapons and trophies if you start a new savegame on a new PS3? You can't copy the save over, that's for sure.

rexor0717

Yea, if you remove the invincibility on spawns, people wont spawn into a gigantic firefight. In one GAF game, some one threw a grenade into a corner backwards. So the people spawned facing the wall. I built a turret right there and had my shotgun ready(pre-patch). If there was no invincibility on the spawn, people wouldn't have been spawning there, unless they want to get wrecked.

SnakeXs said:
I'm honestly dumbfounded and damn near appalled that some people, any people, enjoy this guy in any way.

It's cringe worthy to the point of being unbearable, regardless of intentions.

Yea. I find him incredibly annoying, even from a comedic standpoint.

This has been the first FPS where I will pull out a pistol instead of trying to reload. I've also stopped the habit of reloading every two seconds. I love that there's still a sense of immersion even in MP.

The GAF games we had last night were so good. 18 people seems like the right number for the maps we played. Beamber GAF will return tonight for more madness. :D

Top Bottom