• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Melfice7

Dave1988 said:
zujvki.jpg

:D

Well done but.. why does the trophy have a face?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Sorry Foxhound I get in fine.
Are you connecting through a router?
Yes, I am.

But I didn't have any issues pre-patch1.20. I've tried SOCOM Confrontation and Resistance 2, which work just fine in multiplayer, no connecting problems whatsoever... It's just Killzone 2's MP.

Do you think it's a router related issue?

Oh btw. I just deleted the patch and redownloaded it... no luck.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Finally picked up my copy, got halfway into the intro movie - and THEN it detects an update is required. What is that? It just completely ruined the intro for me.

Am guessing it just took that long to sign into PSN to check? But why wouldn't it at least let me finish watching then download later?

mintylurb

gregor7777 said:
IIRC, he didn't really notice any issues at all with the controls beforehand, so that tells you something.
What in the bloody hell? I didn't have much issues with the controls prior to the patch..So..that tells you what? Please humor me.

mintylurb said:
What in the bloody hell? I didn't have much issues with the controls prior to the patch..So..that tells you what? Please humor me.

I shall.

My point is that if you didn't notice what many were complaining about in the first place, you could hardly be expected to notice the fix.

Obviously the developers saw something that could be fixed, and so they did.

JB1981

Q-bert said:
Those were some good games in BEAMBER GAF last night, I got 3 turret ribbons so thanks guys!

I was actually thinking either 16 or 24 would have been better: with 9 on a side, there is always exactly one person left without a squad.

Also, I love 8v8 on Pyrrhus Rise. Totally different play to it than the others (less congestion). :D

That's a really good point and something that hadn't even crossed my mind. How 'bout a 20 player game? 16 works just fine for me but I know a lot of people want to play and not everyone can get in. 20 will suffice i think

Zeliard

dfyb said:
i'll play with you guys when you're man enough to allow assault class :p

they're part of killzone 2 and they are balanced. banning them will just prevent you from learning how to properly counter them or use them. i don't even play the assault class, but playing in a game where they aren't allowed just makes the whole thing feel off. tacticians are the true enablers of chaos and spam anyway (as we saw, plainly, in the game at Radec Academy seek and destroy mission). people spawn in the middle of the room with the objective, throw their frag grenades, and shoot at whatever moves until they die and repeat.

edit:

to clarify: i DO NOT want to ban tacticians. i think it's silly to ban anything. this game can be chaotic when opposing spawn grenades are close, but it's a very balanced game.

to reduce spam/chaos/clusterfuck, i still think spawn grenades should be treated like capture and hold items -- as in, if you stand by an enemy spawn grenade, it prevents them from spawning there. and if you stand on it long enough, it will disappear. but unlike capture and hold objectives, if no enemy is nearby, it should recharge itself to full.

I still don't know why they don't make spawn points destructible. Works perfectly fine in TF2. You're supposed to place them in a spot that's not right next to and in full view of the fucking enemy. :lol

And making them destructible would heavily encourage that, which would also naturally lead to considerably less clusterfuckery since people wouldn't be placing spawn points right on top of the enemy.

I'm not really seeing any downside to it. If your spawn points get destroyed all the time, build them in a different spot or have a couple of people standing guard by them. They're supposed to be extremely important and possible tide-changers, anyway.

Could be a placebo effect but I did much better last nite. Was #1 on my team in the gaf server. That usually never happens. Feels like it could be the controls

Just played the demo a few minutes ago. Is the full game similar to the demo? I had some fun with the demo, but it wasn't mind blowing.

mr_nothin

Banned
THE PHRASE FOR TODAY IS:
PLACEBO EFFECT

I always loved how if somebody used 1 phrase then everybody else uses it and it gets ran into the dirt.

Ben Pierce said:
Just played the demo a few minutes ago. Is the full game similar to the demo? I had some fun with the demo, but it wasn't mind blowing.

Are you interested in the multi? That was the selling point for me.

If this was a single player only game I would have waited until it hit $20. Nothing against the SP, but it doesn't seem to bring a whole lot that I haven't seen before.

The multi is a blast though. Definitely worth the $60.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
mr_nothin said:
THE PHRASE FOR TODAY IS:
PLACEBO EFFECT

I always loved how if somebody used 1 phrase then everybody else uses it and it gets ran into the dirt.
Well what synonyms are there for "placebo"?

-PXG-

Sucks that Engineers can only carry shotties. I wish I had more time to play and wish I didn't get DC'ed every other match. Shit, I would've had my Scout by now.

gregor7777 said:
Are you interested in the multi? That was the selling point for me.

If this was a single player only game I would have waited until it hit $20. Nothing against the SP, but it doesn't seem to bring a whole lot that I haven't seen before.

The multi is a blast though. Definitely worth the $60.

I prefer single player, but I would check out the multiplayer side

mintylurb

gregor7777 said:
I shall.

My point is that if you didn't notice what many were complaining about in the first place, you could hardly be expected to notice the fix.
Oh, really. That's why your previous post was posted in such a coyish manner. And there's WMD in Iraq.. rollseyes.

Anyway, I guess it's time for me to try some MP games with the patch. I'm going to git you creamy, tarduz, teeps, euros, etc!!

Zeliard

mr_nothin said:
THE PHRASE FOR TODAY IS:
PLACEBO EFFECT

You can blame Tempy for that. :lol

There's obviously a difference, and I can't believe people are saying otherwise. It's so noticeable that it actually felt blatant to me rather than subtle the instant I started making a turn in single-player. The impression was immediate.

And again, I loved the original controls and defended them numerous times, and also wouldn't have changed them. There's definitely something different now, but I also don't think it's for the worse.

mintylurb

Ben Pierce said:
It's quite similar. I suggest you just rent the game if you're only interested in the sp mode.

The 7.1 DTS surround sound in Killzone is amazing. I played an hour of multiplayer last night, and at all times knew where every gun battle was taking place. Whether to my left or right, up or down.

mintylurb said:
Oh, really. That's why your previous post was posted in such a coyish manner. And there's WMD in Iraq.. rollseyes.

Well, if you don't think that was my point, please enlighten me. What did I mean? I thought I knew, and have since explained it properly. :lol

You've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder there.

mintylurb

Zeliard said:
You can blame Tempy for that. :lol

There's obviously a difference, and I can't believe people are saying otherwise. It's so noticeable that it actually felt blatant to me rather than subtle the instant I started making a turn in single-player. The impression was immediate.

And again, I loved the original controls and defended them numerous times, and also wouldn't have changed them. There's definitely something different now, but I also don't think it's for the worse.
Ima sorry Zeliard. When I say there's not much difference then that's final. FINAL. Now, let's hug it out and play some kz2!!

PTCoakley said:
I definitely like the new control update, however minor it is. It feels different enough that I don't have as many problems turning.

The one thing I noticed above all else is that it seems easier to track a player moving across your screen. Well, and a bit more auto aim (at least on the SMG and rifles) at closer ranges.

Zeliard

mintylurb said:
Ima sorry Zeliard. When I say there's not much difference then that's final. FINAL. Now, let's hug it out and play some kz2!!

Hey, maybe it's not as noticeable in MP, since I haven't tried.

Actually, someone else said that they basically made the SP controls feel like MP now, so maybe that's why it feels significant to me.

And yes, let's play KZ2. KZ2 is actually taking time away from my Empire: Total War play, which is quite a feat for a console shooter to do.

Ben Pierce said:

Demo is great, but that section is actually below average compared to the rest of the game. The graphics and intensity gets 10x better as you progress.

Also if you enjoy multi-player it's a must have.

Could be a placebo effect but I did much better last nite. Was #1 on my team in the gaf server. That usually never happens. Feels like it could be the controls

icechai

TrAcEr_x90 said:

you were doing a lot better shooting people from far away with the assault than I've ever seen :p got me a couple key times >_<

mintylurb

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Hahaha now he is posting this again just to spite mr_nothin.

Shearie

It is not a placebo effect. There are actual changes to the controls. Test it out by playing with and without the patch in single player. I have no idea why so many people think their mind is playing tricks on them.

Shit double post. Sorry. Anyways .....I'm actually likin medic. Not sure if I should move on and try out engineer. It was cool when someone was the target and I brought them back

Zeliard

Seems like they increased the aim assist a bit when you're shooting from ironsights. Dunno if there's a change shooting from the hip.

Wouldn't surprise since one of the complaints a lot of people had with the controls is that they thought there was literally no aim assist whatsoever, even though there was.

Can someone please tell me how to get the gamma exactly like prepatch? My CRT is crushing blacks but if I set it to limited it looks washed out.

Cellbomber said:
Demo is great, but that section is actually below average compared to the rest of the game. The graphics and intensity gets 10x better as you progress.

Also if you enjoy multi-player it's a must have.

thanks, I think i'll get it within the next few weeks

{Mike}

Banned
Ok I had network code -20204940 or something, I'm returning this game if the network can't get any better. I get disconnects 50% of the time, only game to do so too. Fucking monkeys at Guerilla.

mr_nothin

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Shit double post. Sorry. Anyways .....I'm actually likin medic. Not sure if I should move on and try out engineer. It was cool when someone was the target and I brought them back
LIAR
lol

placebo effect

Pojo

Banned
Zeliard said:
Seems like they increased the aim assist a bit when you're shooting from ironsights. Dunno if there's a change shooting from the hip.

Wouldn't surprise since one of the complaints a lot of people had with the controls is that they thought there was literally no aim assist whatsoever, even though there was.
Honestly? I would have that green dot a hair away from a head and it wouldn't register. At all. I noticed no aim assist whatsoever.

Shooting from the hip was different...I wouldn't call it aim assist, just really good spread.

dazed808

{Mike} said:
Ok I had network code -20204940 or something, I'm returning this game if the network can't get any better. I get disconnects 50% of the time, only game to do so too. Fucking monkeys at Guerilla.
Considering most MP parts of games are a complete clusterfuck for at least a week from launch, what GG has pulled off is nothing short of amazing.
I'm sorry your having problems but thousands of others are not and that really is a great feat of achievement , so cut the devs some slack.

TheExodu5

Banned
mr_nothin said:
THE PHRASE FOR TODAY IS:
PLACEBO EFFECT

Bioshock has great atmosphere.

Uncharted is like Gears of War + Tomb Raider

{Mike} said:

Its most likely on your end bro but I know how you feel I couldn't get into Resistance 2 mp for 2 weeks when it came out. Router configuration blows.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Lion Heart said:
Can someone please tell me how to get the gamma exactly like prepatch? My CRT is crushing blacks but if I set it to limited it looks washed out.

wait, shouldnt limited be the right choice for all tvs... full is only for pc monitors...
well thats what i have been told

Top Bottom