• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

rass

how much longer will the gaf game be going on for? ill be home from work in 2 hours and would rather get my ass handed to me by some skilled folk than by randomly thrown grenades in a smoke filled clusterfuck.
I can never work out the time difference, its 4pm here

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm just gonna state my opinion and say I too would prefer a server with no classes blocked and FF ON. FF will even out the use of the assault class since no one likes racking up those negative points. If any of the GAF clans are going to play matches/tournaments against other clans, they are going to have to learn how to deal with ALL the classes, not just the ones they like.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Crisis said:
Guerilla has got to do something about assholes on your team that don't do anything to help with the objectives. This is goddamn ridiculous. I can't win games if I'm trying but no other teammate is.

It feels like the game is punishing me for something I didn't even do.

Sorry - but if they could code stuff that made people play properly online, they'd be writing mindcontrol software for the governments. :)

dfyb

Banned
why don't i get a point everytime i repair something? i repaired an ammo crate that was destroyed. nothing. i then destroy a friendly ammo crate and immediately repair it... and i get a point. for repair badge, do only the point ones count? or can i just repair 5 whether they give points or not?

Nafai1123 said:
I'm just gonna state my opinion and say I too would prefer a server with no classes blocked and FF ON. FF will even out the use of the assault class since no one likes racking up those negative points. If any of the GAF clans are going to play matches/tournaments against other clans, they are going to have to learn how to deal with ALL the classes, not just the ones they like.
please, just stop it with the common sense.

dfyb

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Sniping a Assault guy in full boost right through the head is probably one of the most satisfying things a man can do.
it's also funny when the assault is boosting and them *pop* a turret gets a headshot on 'em. IT'S TOO BAD GAF SERVERS REMOVE PART OF KILLZONE 2.

dfyb said:
it's also funny when the assault is boosting and them *pop* a turret gets a headshot on 'em. IT'S TOO BAD GAF SERVERS REMOVE PART OF KILLZONE 2.

haha oh man I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that yet.

Sidzed2

Finished the campaign days ago, and loved almost every minute of it.

I thought the final level ended a bit weakly for two reasons:

(a) infinite flood of enemies which force you to play in an aggressive fashion [big no no, I prefer to choose my own tactical approach, thanks] and

(b) a sort of lame 'waves upon waves followed by uber soldier' final encounter.

The rest of the game, including its ending cinematic, was really satisfying. It could just be my favourite shooter...possibly ever...but I'm not sure yet.

Not even that interested in multiplayer, to be honest. I know it's going to be me versus uber-ADD-nothing-else-in-their-life psychos who sit and play KZ2 all day and rape 'newbs'.

Sidzed2 said:

(a) infinite flood of enemies which force you to play in an aggressive fashion [big no no, I prefer to choose my own tactical approach, thanks] and

The rest of the game, including its ending cinematic, was really satisfying. It could just be my favourite shooter...possibly ever...but I'm not sure yet.

Not even that interested in multiplayer, to be honest. I know it's going to be me versus uber-ADD-nothing-else-in-their-life psychos who sit and play KZ2 all day and rape 'newbs'.

Surprisingly enough it does a decent enough job matching you up with people of low rank. My brother in law just bought it this weekend. He hasn't played a online mp game since UT 2004 but the games he got in were well balanced and allowed him to catch on pretty quickly.

F#A#Oo

Banned
TTP said:
I get that, but so what? Again, it's not a matter of classes but rather organization within the team. If there is none, it's gonna be hell, Assaults or not.

Not everyone has a friends list full of active folk always up for a game. Public games is going to be the way the majority of people will experience MP by necessity. Getting organization going in a public game of KZ2 is futile not just because of the lack of party system but as you pointed out the lack of rewards for actually playing like a team and completing missions. The winners bonus at the end of a match is nice but doesn't really incentivize playing like a team all that much.

Maybe if GG roll out better rewards for missions it could change the way people currently play KZ2...because at the minute it's one massive team-death match. Those of us looking for real tactical MP shouldn't have to rely on clan and private matches. The incentive to play as a team should be like a piece of thread that runs right the way through the whole of MP.

KZ2 has all these awesome ingredients but GG just hasn't found a way to put it all together in a cohesive fashion. I think they got their priorities wrong thinking the class system would bring longevity when the reality is that modes and rewards are what keep people playing time and time again. People ranked up 55 levels in CoD4 10 times just so they could get gold cross and feel Elite. In KZ2 one can reach General in no time at all making the ranking system have no value other then unlocking classes. Only ribbons are time-consuming. Valor ranks are only time consuming for a period of a week after that is there any point of trying to attain for example 1% after already achieving it? I know I won't be bothering myself too much to up my rank...there is no purpose anymore.

MickeyKnox said:
AmmoCrateZone.gif

aww man, i was killed in that .gif :lol

icechai

Nafai1123 said:

for a few of the GAFfers, its not that they don't know how to deal with them, its that its a bit sad how much domination assault class can bring. You throw the top 3 of a team into the assault class and I can tell you its utter domination. 3 rockets gone and those assaults can still use the magnum really well. With 2 or 3 boosting around there just isn't a whole lot of tactic to one of the best modes in warzone (bringing back the objective). Instead when you take out boost its slower and makes it a lot more exciting.

Yes last week was a lot of all classes on and it was quickly realized how boring some modes are with the assault classes boosting this way and that (we all are culprits, it was just too much of an advantage, even in firefights just turn on boost and strafe around popping your pistol).

the proper way should be as some ppl said, let assault load with light machine guns, do not recharge to 120% health, and only let soldiers do with rocket launchers. In the assault-less game today it was quite fun being the soldier with the rocket launcher >:)

icechai said:
for a few of the GAFfers, its not that they don't know how to deal with them, its that its a bit sad how much domination assault class can bring. You throw the top 3 of a team into the assault class and I can tell you its utter domination. 3 rockets gone and those assaults can still use the magnum really well. With 2 or 3 boosting around there just isn't a whole lot of tactic to one of the best modes in warzone (bringing back the objective). Instead when you take out boost its slower and makes it a lot more exciting.

Yes last week was a lot of all classes on and it was quickly realized how boring some modes are with the assault classes boosting this way and that (we all are culprits, it was just too much of an advantage, even in firefights just turn on boost and strafe around popping youa r pistol).

the proper way should be as some ppl said, let assault load with light machine guns, do not recharge to 120% health, and only let soldiers do with rocket launchers. In the assault-less game today it was quite fun being the soldier with the rocket launcher >:)
a single headshot still kills them like anyone else, aim.

jett said:
Best line in KZ2: MOVE IT, BITCH! :lol

:lol

Playing through the campaign a third time I realized that there is a great deal of situational dialogue that goes on in the game. If you stick around long enough after certain scenes you can listen to fellow ISA marines talking about the current goings on or about certain characters like Visari or Radec.

Fun.

icechai

BobTheFork said:
a single headshot still kills them like anyone else, aim.

i've been headshotted VERY few times as an assault when moving, and never when boost is on. They just have more advantages in terms of moving about the battlefield and killing. There are always the need for engineers and tactician players, but a few assaults really turn any tide so much faster than other classes.

J-Rzez

Question to those who unlocked this: How good is the revolver? Is it worth going out of my way to unlock said gun? Is it just that much harder hitting? Or is it a bad-assery type feeling thing? Thanks.

dfyb

Banned
icechai said:
You throw the top 3 of a team into the assault class and I can tell you its utter domination.
i consistently score top 3 on my team (even if i'm farming badges like last game). i feel limited playing as assault class. 3 rockets can take out a few guys, but the ammo medics (and other classes get) get can take out plenty more (going back to ammo crates only takes time and reduces killing effeciency). the grenade launcher is more about crowd control than it is pure kills -- it kicks up a lot of smoke, but it's not really going to do a ton of damage unless it's a small room or the victims are dumb enough to huddle together (frag grenades, thrown by any class, are much better for killing power). as assault i was shooting grenades down a hall one time and an enemy runs right at me, practically walking over my grenades, and blasts me with a shotgun. if the assault is carrying a rocket launcher, bait a rocket and punish him before he can shoot another (and if he has time to switch to pistol and shoot you twice, well, you took too damn long). aim for the head -- that's your quickest way to take one down.

you say that 'its not that they don't know how to deal with them', but that's exactly what it is. some of the big GAF players seem to love sniper. i think that's probably a bigger reason they hate the assault class -- it's the only class that isn't a free kill.

i don't enjoy playing as the assault class because they're too situational. but even more than that, i hate playing in games that ban the assault class or any other class/weapon. it's boring. it's scrubby. it's a waste of time. i want to play with GAF but beamer usually makes the game and he usually bans assault class, so fuck that.

J-Rzez said:
Question to those who unlocked this: How good is the revolver? Is it worth going out of my way to unlock said gun? Is it just that much harder hitting? Or is it a bad-assery type feeling thing? Thanks.
2 shots. yes it's worth it.

methane47

J-Rzez said:

I just unlocked it tonite.. and WOW... at first you'll think man.. this gun is SOO much slower than the pistol.. Then your aim will adjust and Just like that this Gun becomes like a mini shot gun... It is really rediculous.. medium/short range.. i would be on par with the rifles i think... medium/long range i have the advantage over the shotgun....

If you can aim decently you will love this gun. Only real draw back is that its only 6 shots per wheel... and the reload time is kinda crap.

icechai

dfyb said:
i consistently score top 3 on my team (even if i'm farming badges like last game). i feel limited playing as assault class. 3 rockets can take out a few guys, but the ammo medics (and other classes get) get can take out plenty more. the grenade launcher is more about crowd control than it is pure kills -- it kicks up a lot of smoke, but it's not really going to do a ton of damage unless it's a small room or the victims are dumb enough to huddle together (frag grenades, thrown by any class, are much better for killing power). i was shooting grenades down a hall one time and an enemy runs right at me, practically walking over my grenades, and blasts me with a shotgun. if the assault is carrying a rocket launcher, bait a rocket and punish him before he can shoot another (and if he has time to switch to pistol and shoot you twice, well, you took too damn long). aim for the head -- that's your quickest way to take one down.

you say that 'its not that they don't know how to deal with them', but that's exactly what it is. some of the big GAF players seem to love sniper. i think that's probably a bigger reason they hate the assault class -- it's the only class that isn't a free kill.

i don't enjoy playing as the assault class because they're too situational. but even more than that, i hate playing in games that ban the assault class or any other class/weapon. it's boring. it's scrubby. it's a waste of time. i want to play with GAF but beamer usually makes the game and he usually bans assault class, so fuck that.

2 shots. yes it's worth it.

i see where you're coming from, but even saboteurs and soldiers have trouble dealing with an assault due to the higher HP. This is assuming he has a magnum, as 2 shots and you're dead. Most assaults will be using a magnum in the first place (if they fire a rocket they usually get behind cover or teammates to reload), and then its whether they can get 2 hits on you before you can headshot them while they're moving really fast and boosting.

Partly I think Beamer got fed up with Full-Recovery's boosting antics that would make those CTF missions way too fast :p Although now with FF on, we should try a few games with assault on and see how bad it gets.

I cannot wait till I get some of these secondary badges to mix and match! Anyone got any tips on how to more effectively throw health packs down, I wish you could throw them farther... cause I swear I will tell ppl I have health and they'll run the other way despite being on death's door.

J-Rzez said:

It's awesome. If someone has full life, two bullets = death. Most people typically have only half life though, so one bullet = death.

dfyb

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
I cannot wait till I get some of these secondary badges to mix and match! Anyone got any tips on how to more effectively throw health packs down, I wish you could throw them farther... cause I swear I will tell ppl I have health and they'll run the other way despite being on death's door.
when i was farming healing badges, i'd spawn, grenade myself (non-fatal), and heal myself. easy.

icechai said:
i see where you're coming from, but even saboteurs and soldiers have trouble dealing with an assault due to the higher HP. This is assuming he has a magnum, as 2 shots and you're dead. Most assaults will be using a magnum in the first place (if they fire a rocket they usually get behind cover or teammates to reload), and then its whether they can get 2 hits on you before you can headshot them while they're moving really fast and boosting.

Partly I think Beamer got fed up with Full-Recovery's boosting antics that would make those CTF missions way too fast :p Although now with FF on, we should try a few games with assault on and see how bad it gets.
saboteurs have the SMG -- that thing riddles faces with bullets like no other. point in the general direction of their head and fire away (you should be close range if you're a saboteur). magnum's great as a sidearm but i'd never trade it for an assault rifle. it's easier to bait magnum shots and punish.

but yeah, with FF on i think it will balance out the assault class (and beef up the saboteur a bit).

EazyB

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Hahahahah.. you need to make a badge farming guide. Thanks!
Throw them down in hallways with heavy traffic or just heal yourself after every firefight. Pretty easy to get actually.

Ploid 3.0

I was in a game that banned sniper rifle, and rocket launchers. I kept suiciding because I would forget that I couldn't play as a sniper, well unless I wanted to shoot my pistol while standing still. I immediately thought of the gaf room with the assault class totally taken out. Seems some people are ticked off at how easy snipers can kill people from so far away.

EazyB said:
Throw them down in hallways with heavy traffic or just heal yourself after every firefight. Pretty easy to get actually.

Medic's combination badge ability was so easy to unlock. In contrast to the air support luck based unlock it's a dream.

CHRP718

Banned
The
Metal Gear was so awesome
:D
Anybody get the Melee Badge?
That's going to be a tricky one; Is there anyway to do Melee only games?

Pimpbaa

Rorschach said:
Oh, I forgot one more thing about engineers: Add a "dismantle" option for turrets!

And how about a limit of 1 per engineer rather than a global limit. So annoying not to be able to put down a turret in a GOOD spot because some asshat has 3 in useless places.

EazyB

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
And how about a limit of 1 per engineer rather than a global limit. So annoying not to be able to put down a turret in a GOOD spot because some asshat has 3 in useless places.
Yeah, that is annoying. But not nearly as annoying as the possibility of 32 turrets placed around a map.

KGKK

Banned
Finally put some time in single player. My god this game is amazing. The
train
level is my favourite level. The graphics, little touches, art, presentation, music, everything is awesome. The gameplay is so refined, I find it perfect personally.

Rapping Granny said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2h4e449.jpg

I <3 turrets!

I was wondering who MrBigJohnson was. Your a fucking monster at KZ2. But how dare you kill my leader!!!?

I shall avenge you, one day...one day.

Dante

I love my turrets....Although I can NOT wait to be a tactician...This world needs more good spawn points :)

My last game just froze...I am so close to getting tactician.

Dante

KGKK said:
Finally put some time in single player. My god this game is amazing. The
train
level is my favourite level. The graphics, little touches, art, presentation, music, everything is awesome. The gameplay is so refined, I find it perfect personally.

I like how the helghast in the desert section look like big Jawa's

Quick Question

If I join a team that's down say 5-1 will I take the loss on my statistics?

Rorschach

dfyb said:
so what you're saying is that you're sick of your team losing because your team sucks.
GG could alleviate it by adding a real TDM instead of a 100 kill room that lasts about 3 minutes per map. That way, I could play objective based games and all the death match people can go play death match.

How awesome would straight up 2 flag CTF be on KZ2? So awesome. If they could do that and set it to either capture or time limit, it would rock. So many wasted opportunities.

EazyB said:
Yeah, that is annoying. But not nearly as annoying as the possibility of 32 turrets placed around a map.
Institute a 4 player limit on engineers and give them one turret each that they could dismantle/prop up as they please. Not like the 5th engineer would be useful, anyway and he wouldn't get many chances to put something up.

Grayman

Rorschach said:
GG could alleviate it by adding a real TDM instead of a 100 kill room that lasts about 3 minutes per map. That way, I could play objective based games and all the death match people can go play death match.

How awesome would straight up 2 flag CTF be on KZ2? So awesome. If they could do that and set it to either capture or time limit, it would rock. So many wasted opportunities.

Institute a 4 player limit on engineers and give them one turret each that they could dismantle/prop up as they please. Not like the 5th engineer would be useful, anyway and he wouldn't get many chances to put something up.
The big maps might play good in conquest bf2 style if the capture time was turned up a few notches and the victory goal was maxed.

I love warzone as a whole but most of the modes are kind of weak on their own with default settings.

kitch9

Banned
Sidzed2 said:

The waves are not infinite, there is just a lot of them. Each wave contain specific types of enemies so you can prepare and adjust tactics as needed. Not much consolation when you've just died 35 times in the same fucking spot I know.

With regards the multi, I am like you. Normally I get gang raped by ultra hardcore game freaks. I started to play KZ2 multi earlier this week and its me doing the raping!! I've been 1st or 2nd in every round I've played, which is un fucking precedented let me tell you. I've been getting around 60-70 kills a round with loads of headshots and I don't know why.... Maybe the controls have just clicked with me or something, I dunno.

Rorschach

Grayman said:
how do I switch teams mid game if the teams are fucked?
Go to the "factions" tab and press x.

Grayman said:
The big maps might play good in conquest bf2 style if the capture time was turned up a few notches and the victory goal was maxed.

I love warzone as a whole but most of the modes are kind of weak on their own with default settings.
The problem is that most maps are too small for that. A "ticket" system would be cool, though. That would reward objectives, kills, and keeping your team mates alive. Maybe they'll release some larger maps later on that actually support 32 player combat well.

Part of the problem in the current maps is that, even though there are some large maps, 40% of the areas are unused. You'll never see a single battle in those areas and the choke points are the same every time you play the maps.

Thrakier

What I don't like about the MP is the lag when killing someone. The chirp very often comes late, also the animations are dealyed. If it doesn't work very good just get rid of it GG. Everything feels a bit...don't know, it's just not spot on.

EazyB

Banned
Thrakier said:
What I don't like about the MP is the lag when killing someone. The chirp very often comes late, also the animations are dealyed. If it doesn't work very good just get rid of it GG. Everything feels a bit...don't know, it's just not spot on.
Yeah, a lot of I can never really see any lag until I plug a bunch of bullets into someone only to see them glitch into a delayed death animation.

Also, I asked this quite a while ago but no one replied:
Why is it that oftentimes I'll unload on someone who should've died, then I but, and about a half second later the other person dies. I experience a ton of these simultaneous deaths; often enough that it couldn't just be each one of us sending that last bullet at the same exact time.

It's like the "simultaneous" beatdowns in Halo 3 except with guns...

Top Bottom