• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

JardeL

Street date broken already , no need to wait until 27th :D ;

910F07DBE3BB43D3B757B7013177EE2E.jpg

WTFing

Banned
Flunkie said:
This thread doesn't have as much hype as the other one. :(
Give me/us the game! UNLEASH KILLZONE 2! People are already enjoying it everywhere.
wtf

edit: lol
that's exactly what i'm saying!
EnthusiasTech said:

SolidSnakex said:
As someone mentioned, we're now just waiting for the game to be released. The other thread had discussions about the December and January media along with reviews and the demo.
why are they waiting?.. the game is done, and even allready in stores..

Flunkie

Banned
nib95 said:
Completely default. Sensitivity, controls, everything.
Hmm, interesting. I played that way in the beta.. not sure which way to play now. I play so many shooters that I prefer to stick to one particular control scheme so I don't get too confused when game-hopping. I remember when I first played Fallout 3 for a long time then tried to go back to Resistance 2/Call of Duty 4, it messed me up so bad. I was always switching weapons when I wanted to jump. :lol

EnthusiasTech said:

I'll buy one of those off of you. :p

Nizz

Arrgghh! So bad that the game isn't out here in North America yet. :( We've all got the reviews, comparisons to 05 trailer, controls and everything else out of our system. I want to be talking about....

Oh man, did you get past that part yet?

Wow, that was a hell of a Boss!

What a crazy match we had online last night!

Dammit, FFObsessed sniped me again! *respawns* Dammit, again!

AJ2good4you loves them rocket launchers!

Fersis, look out!

This game is sooo good! :D

Zen

Banned
The Blue Jihad said:
I'm really digging this game. I didn't expect the demo to be as captivating as it was. Really love the cover system. I'm still amazed that GG created a FPS cover system that works in first person view. It's incredible. Love how the left joystick is used to pop up/out of cover. I'd go as far as to say the KZ2 cover system is one of the best I've ever used.

First few times through the demo, I was very lukewarm about it. But then it all clicked.

Great fucking game.

If your reticle is aimed above the cover/in front of you, and you're not on the side of any peice of covr, you just have to press the shoot button to pop out.

JardeL

:lol , no they are not mine but I can buy KZ2 for 60 euros ... These are all PAL versions , unfortunately I'm in Turkey ... If multiplayer was playable I would buy it now but I'm in no hurry , servers not up yet :/ ...

Core407

Banned
Okay, serious question here - do you guys think KillZone 2 is going to be Sony's Halo in terms of just sheer sales numbers and longevity? I was in the MP bet and I can see this game being played for years.

KZObsessed

fps fanatic said:
Arrgghh! So bad that the game isn't out here in North America yet. :( We've all got the reviews, comparisons to 05 trailer, controls and everything else out of our system. I want to be talking about....

Oh man, did you get past that part yet?

Wow, that was a hell of a Boss!

What a crazy match we had online last night!

Dammit, FFObsessed sniped me again! *respawns* Dammit, again!

AJ2good4you loves them rocket launchers!

Fersis, look out!

This game is sooo good! :D

"Fersis, what are you doing? Defuse the bomb for gods sake, why are you just standing there!?... NO DON'T HUG ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!"

WTFing

Banned
EnthusiasTech said:
:lol , no they are not mine but I can buy KZ2 for 60 euros ... These are all PAL versions , unfortunately I'm in Turkey ... If multiplayer was playable I would buy it now but I'm in no hurry , servers not up yet :/ ...
Where for 60€? Where? PM
Thanks!

careksims

What is the point for NA to keep on waiting when the rest of the world is getting it :/ Not only that, I haven't seen a single commercial and the only ad I've seen is a medium size one at my Gamestop. Unlike the SF4 ones that are huge and plastered all over the front window. Geeze Sony... C'mon!

SonComet

It's so hard to wait for the US version when I could just order one from Hong Kong that costs less money brand new off of ebay. Ugh.

KZObsessed

Core407 said:
Okay, serious question here - do you guys think KillZone 2 is going to be Sony's Halo in terms of just sheer sales numbers and longevity? I was in the MP bet and I can see this game being played for years.

Halo? Nah. When Halo 2 came out I don't think there were really that many other online FPS games on a console, it filled a massive void. Nowadays there's a lot of competition and games like CoD already have millions of people constantly playing them. Killzone 2 would actually have to pull people away from other games to be anywhere near as successful as Halo. And KZ2 is not as accessible as CoD, or "noob friendly" however you like to put it. And I think we've seen with the reaction to KZ2 at press events and even with the demo, people only seem to know how to play CoD and can't really work out how to play other FPSs even tho it's not difficult. CoD at the moment is the standard and I don't see that changing. KZ2 has the quality to change it, I've said many times I think it's the best online FPS ever, or at least my favorite. But I have no idea really if it will resonate with the masses, we'll have to see. CoD has the advantage of being multiplat also so it can reach more people, and word of mouth can spread a lot easier.

I'm not sure how much it sold, but I think SOCOM II might be a better comparison. In that KZ2, like SOCOM II was for PS2, will be the main online game for PS3. But it depends whether or not it resonates with people, I'd be shocked if it's not hugely successful anyway.

Core407

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Halo? Nah. When Halo 2 came out I don't think there were really that many other online FPS games on a console, it filled a massive void. Nowadays there's a lot of competition and games like CoD already have millions of people constantly playing them. Killzone 2 would actually have to pull people away from other games to be anywhere near as successful as Halo. And KZ2 is not as accessible as CoD, or "noob friendly" however you like to put it. And I think we've seen with the reaction to KZ2 at press events and even with the demo, people only seem to know how to play CoD and can't really work out how to play other FPSs even tho it's not difficult. CoD at the moment is the standard and I don't see that changing. KZ2 has the quality to change it, I've said many times I think it's the best online FPS ever, or at least my favorite. But I have no idea really if it will resonate with the masses, we'll have to see. CoD has the advantage of being multiplat also so it can reach more people, and word of mouth can spread a lot easier.

I'm not sure how much it sold, but I think SOCOM II might be a better comparison. In that KZ2, like SOCOM II was for PS2, will be the main online game for PS3. But it depends whether or not it resonates with people, I'd be shocked if it's not hugely successful anyway.

Apart from COD4 and Resistance 2, there's really not too many prominent shooters on the PS3. COD4 is pretty dated now and I don't think R2 has the holding power to keep people playing. I honestly think the whole "it's too difficult to play" argument is bullshit. If people put in 15-20 minutes into it, I think they'll figure out enough of how to handle it to make them come back for more and eventually get all of it. I can see KZ2 pushing the system pretty hard in terms of attracting the large audience games like Halo and COD bring in.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FFObsessed said:
"Fersis, what are you doing? Defuse the bomb for gods sake, why are you just standing there!?... NO DON'T HUG ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!"
:lol You have no idea how funny I found this.

Guled said:
any chance of Sony bumping up the date like with Ratchet and Clank
They did the same thing with Uncharted. I'm assuming it was because those games didn't have any online, so once they were done there was nothing that Sony needed to do for the game on their side. But with Killzone they need to prep servers and make sure thats all ready for everyone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Blu_LED said:
They did the same thing with Uncharted. I'm assuming it was because those games didn't have any online, so once they were done there was nothing that Sony needed to do for the game on their side. But with Killzone they need to prep servers and make sure thats all ready for everyone.
LBP's servers weren't up when it came out and Gamestop released it early. That's even with the last minute delay.

Mamesj

Banned
The upper right corner on amazon says "Kindle 2 has arrived" and I keep doing double takes thinking it says "Killzone 2 has arrived."

RoboPlato said:
LBP's servers weren't up when it came out and Gamestop released it early. That's even with the last minute delay.
Yeah but LBP was under crazy circumstances. Sony should have had the servers up and running the day it was originally suppose to come out, but even with the delay they were still unable to get them working. So even if LBP came out on the real day it was suppose to, it would have still been fucked up.

careksims

Blu_LED said:

Yeah right, like that's going to ever go smoothly. Why did they choose a Friday again? Why not the 24th? I mean there's no Midnight launch!

Also when you go to the Gamestop Online Store. Halo Wars is smacked right there and KZ2 is just a little underneath it. Sheesh. A one week push before the game comes out is not good enough :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Blu_LED said:
Yeah but LBP was under crazy circumstances. Sony should have had the servers up and running the day it was originally suppose to come out, but even with the delay they were still unable to get them working. So even if LBP came out on the real day it was suppose to, it would have still been fucked up.
That's exactly what I was saying, sorry if I was unclear. R2's servers were fucked as well for the first few days. I'm expecting Killzone's online to be a wreck for the first week.

KZObsessed

Core407 said:
Apart from COD4 and Resistance 2, there's really not too many prominent shooters on the PS3. COD4 is pretty dated now and I don't think R2 has the holding power to keep people playing. I honestly think the whole "it's too difficult to play" argument is bullshit. If people put in 15-20 minutes into it, I think they'll figure out enough of how to handle it to make them come back for more and eventually get all of it. I can see KZ2 pushing the system pretty hard in terms of attracting the large audience games like Halo and COD bring in.

I think the decider on whether or not KZ2 will be a massive success in the longterm will be how successful Modern Warfare 2 is this holiday on PS3. In that, are the people who jump from CoD4 to KZ2 in February going to just jump to MW2 in the holiday and stick with that until whatever else comes along, KZ3 maybe. Or are they going to play MW2 for a couple of months and comes back to KZ2 as their standard online game. Personally I think it'll be a mixture of both, and I think KZ2 has enough similarities to appeal to the CoD fan, but still different enough to be a fresh experience, so I could see people playing both games on a regular basis rather than just CoD. And if that's the case KZ2 will be successful in the long term, but not as successful as a Halo or something like that.

But at the very least, I think KZ2 will be the PS3's SOCOM II in that there will always be a core base of hardcore fans that will treat it as their "go to" game for many years and continue to support it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FFObsessed said:
I think the decider on whether or not KZ2 will be a massive success in the longterm will be how successful Modern Warfare 2 is this holiday on PS3. In that, are the people who jump from CoD4 to KZ2 in February going to just jump to MW2 in the holiday and stick with that until whatever else comes along, KZ3 maybe. Or are they going to play MW2 for a couple of months and comes back to KZ2 as their standard online game. Personally I think it'll be a mixture of both, and I think KZ2 has enough similarities to appeal to the CoD fan, but still different enough to be a fresh experience, so I could see people playing both games on a regular basis rather than just CoD. And if that's the case KZ2 will be successful in the long term, but not as successful as a Halo or something like that.

But at the very least, I think KZ2 will be the PS3's SOCOM II in that there will always be a core base of hardcore fans that will treat it as their "go to" game for many years and continue to support it.
I haven't played KZ2's MP yet but I feel like I'll jump between both games quite a bit. I enjoy CoD's MP but I really prefer, and am better at, games that are a bit slower paced. I also just love the feel of KZ2 in general, judging by the demo.

Core407

Banned
FFObsessed said:

The uniqueness of how MP is handled is what I think will keep the game refreshing throughout the months. I could see Guerrilla adding new game modes into the mix, too.

KZObsessed

Core407 said:
The uniqueness of how MP is handled is what I think will keep the game refreshing throughout the months. I could see Guerrilla adding new game modes into the mix, too.

I really hope Guerrilla support this game a kin to how Criterion have supported Burnout, the amount of times I've gone back to that game, probably after every update! That will definitely help keep things fresh I agree. If they add some extra game modes into the mix, some new maps, or classes or whatever around the time MW2 releases and maybe this time next year to keep people coming back like with Burnout.

I think the best model would actually be the opposite of Criterion's pricing strategy. They released a few free updates first and then started the paid for content. With KZ2 maybe they could offer the paid content first, map packs for $4 a few months or so after launch etc when people are still really into the game and it's still new and exciting so people would be more willing to purchase it. But then when MW2 comes out offer a free content pack, to get people who's interest might be waning and could jump to MW2 to get back into KZ2. And then do the same this time next year when most people have played MW2 that they got for Christmas for a few months and are getting bored, entice them back to KZ2 with a free update.

So paid for content initially when people are really into the game and are more willing to purchase it, then release free stuff when their interest might be waning in order to bring them back and keep the community going.

Killer

Banned
does everyone here hate killzone 1? I really enjoyed it and i'm hardcore FPS player. I mean the reload animation was enough to sell the game for me. Maybe ppl should stop reading the reviews and enjoy the game for what it is.

ANYWAY... can't wait for Kill zone 2:D .

ocadman

Core407 said:

I think it would be cool for them to, other than game modes, possibly introduce more classes also ala TF2. Not sure what or how, but it would be cool. And if they a FFA mode, I would not complain at all.

Top Bottom