• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

tiddles

McBradders said:
This is probably half the problem, I played the demo section after first getting it, then played up to the part where you use the tank last night after I got fed up with people jumping on the ISA side during MP imbalancing the teams :lol

The first level is quite scripted (to lead you in gently, basically). It gets more involved around level 3 or 4...

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Man, this game plays ALOT differently with FF on.
It balances the assault class immediately, though it makes the saboteur even more overpowered (since you can't just shoot your teammates at will). It really makes for a very different experience.

I got my top 10% ribbon BTW. Suck it down scrubs!
It balances the class if they insist on using the rocket launcher but if that's the case they're doing it wrong. A assault with a rifle, smg, or shotgun rips assholes apart. Hell, even if I'm just using a pistol with boost I'm guaranteed to take at least 1 or 2 guys out before I die or boost expires.

I think I got the 10% too btw. I haven't logged back on but I think my killzone.com stat thing says I have it. Surprised as I think I only played 2 days last week and for not even that long.

andycapps

tiddles said:
The first level is quite scripted (to lead you in gently, basically). It gets more involved around level 3 or 4...

I'd agree with this. Gets much better after that. Partially because those early levels were shown so much the last couple years.

spwolf said:
yeah, they took the money and are gone... i heard sony cant reach them anymore

:D
I just find it awkward, Guerrilla has proven themselves as a very strong development house. But the website(Which was slow before launch) is still slow? Where's the community reps?

It's a fun game and I still play it. But there's a lot of little things that I'd like to see done, especially the ingame website.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Cagen said:
You can't shoot the spawn beacons, well you can but absolutely nothing happens. If you shoot an air drone beacon it moves it with the force of the bullet so I think you can make the air drones patrol another part of the map if you are good enough, though they may just stay in the initial area. I'll have to try this some time.

So I'm not crazy, good. It seemed like for awhile the verdict on whether or not you could destroy the spawn beacons changed daily. I swore one time I did see smoke come out of one of the beacons, maybe this is just a general impact effect.

:lol

Core407

Banned
CrushDance said:
I just find it awkward, Guerrilla has proven themselves as a very strong development house. But the website(Which was slow before launch) is still slow? Where's the community reps?

It's a fun game and I still play it. But there's a lot of little things that I'd like to see done, especially the ingame website.

It's all the flash. When you click all statistics, it'll bring up a text version and it is much faster.

JudgeN

CrushDance said:

They just put out a patch to fix the controller complaints, what makes you think they aren't listening? Jesus they just finished a game they have worked on for 3 1/2 years can they take some days off.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Raist said:
If radar is always on, they'll spot you immediatly. If it's on fire only, they'll see a red spot on their radar. No radar is the bast for saboteurs.
I now spot them quite easily, because they always come from odd directions. I mean, a supposedly friendly guy coming towards HQ 1min after the start of the game, that's a bit suspicious.

Other interesting stuff:
- As you mentionned, an ISA sab disguised as a high won't have glowing red eyes (and vice versa, a high sab won't have the blue lights)
- If there are ennemy turrets or drones around not shooting at a "team mate", that's suspicious.
- When you walk across someone, point your crosshair on them, then get it off, and back on them again. I've noticed that when you do this, the displayed name above a sab's head will often change each time you aim him again.
- A sab disguises as a rifleman. These are pretty rare now so when you see a rifleman, it's probably a sab.
- And of course, if you're quite close, your crosshair will turn red.

Thats where people tend to mess up playing as SAB. They run into the enemy base.

I stay towards my base, hidden in a corner and facing my base. Enemies making it that far think I am camping some door or hallway, and I blast them in the back or I melee them. Its hilarious. And they yell and scream over the mic. Proximity chat is awesome.

andycapps

JudgeN said:
They just put out a patch to fix the controller complaints, what makes you think they aren't listening? Jesus they just finished a game they have worked on for 3 1/2 years can they take some days off.

I don't think it's that they're taking days off. It's that they've got to hear all the complaints, isolate issues, come up with potential solutions, figure out how to put those solutions into reality, and test the heck out of them for potential bugs in the solutions or the solutions causing new bugs. And I'd imagine they're working on DLC as well at this point, so I'm pretty sure they're not just all on vacation with a couple security guards walking through the place to make sure no one steals all the equipment. :lol

Nafai1123

Banned
At this point I would have no problem with GG taking the rocket launcher out of the MP completely. Give the Assault the grenade launcher and LMG to start out with. Fuck anyone that uses the rocket launcher as the assault class.

Tom Penny

bcn-ron said:
I have to agree. It's so refreshing to play a shooter on a console that doesn't assist your aiming all the time, that doesn't hand out cheap god weapons (or perks, or helicopters ...) at the players that spent the most time with the game. It's such a pure, skill-driven experience.

If only that were true....

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i was thinking, GG is dutch... and the dutch princess is from Argentina... and I AM from Argentina too, so technically im like from the royal family....
So since im a Dutch overlord i order this simple thing to Guerrilla Games:
XMB SCREENSHOT FEATURE!

Just joking folks

EazyB said:
It balances the class if they insist on using the rocket launcher but if that's the case they're doing it wrong. A assault with a rifle, smg, or shotgun rips assholes apart. Hell, even if I'm just using a pistol with boost I'm guaranteed to take at least 1 or 2 guys out before I die or boost expires.

This is so true. I actually try to get rid of the grenade launcher as fast as possible when I am Assault. This morning I went on a 14 player kill streak with the shotgun and boost. Absolutely murders people.

Core407 said:
I don't think objectives work in 32 player games. 8 vs 8 might be a whole different argument though...

Yes, but again, who's forcing you to play 16 vs 16? Just filter on 8 vs 8... there are so many of those.

AndyD said:
Thats where people tend to mess up playing as SAB. They run into the enemy base.

I stay towards my base, hidden in a corner and facing my base. Enemies making it that far think I am camping some door or hallway, and I blast them in the back or I melee them. Its hilarious. And they yell and scream over the mic. Proximity chat is awesome.

Thats why I generally just like to fight right in the fray as a sab. People have enough targets infront of them to worry about spotting sabs.

jmd494

Did anyone record the cutoff for 1% last week (in terms of points)?

I currently have 3,860 and wanted to know how many more I'm likely to need to secure the top 1% trophy.

spwolf

CrushDance said:

where do you except them to be? at your house? check website, check tweets, they are on all the time.

spwolf said:
where do you except them to be? at your house? check website, check tweets, they are on all the time.

Seriously. Anyone who consistently tried to play Gears 2 when it launched should recognize the amount of effort GG have gone through to address any issues that pop up.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
McBradders said:
Am I alone in the fact I'm really enjoying multi but not feeling the single player at all?

I'm not gonna shit on it in this thread, I've seen what you guys do to those people, but the campaign just leaves me cold.

The Multi is superb though, the pace is awesome.

McBradders said:
This is probably half the problem, I played the demo section after first getting it, then played up to the part where you use the tank last night after I got fed up with people jumping on the ISA side during MP imbalancing the teams :lol

:|

------------------------------

why is there nearly no one playing 16 player matches?

raYne

sankt-Antonio said:
There's plenty in my experience. It's all I search for, really.

Perhaps you should change your search region and go worldwide? Or refresh the list since it doesn't reveal all servers at any given search.

edit:
andycapps said:
I always get about 10-20 with my search options like they are. Are you limiting it to your rank only?
Yeah, or that.

andycapps

sankt-Antonio said:

I always get about 10-20 with my search options like they are. Are you limiting it to your rank only?

Lince

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:

don't know, maybe too much kids loving rocketing each other... when I'm not playing with GAFe I stick to 14-16p matches, 32p games are an aberration.

sankt-Antonio

Lince said:
when I'm not playing with GAFe I stick to 16p matches, 32p games are an aberration.

+1 ... they are just not funny after 5min

andycapps said:

yes i do... could be the case... thx !!! :p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
McBradders said:

I think you'll enjoy more as time goes on... I have not even touched the MP portion (and probably never will in great amounts if I suck too badly at it...) and I think this game is worth every Euro paid for it and more.

CrushDance said:

There's some active reps on the Playstation.com forums actually.

andycapps

sankt-Antonio said:

Most likely, try resetting everything to the defaults and then limiting if if you want to from there. If you limit it to your rank, yeah, you won't see that much. I tried doing that but it just doesn't work that well. And glad I could help!

sankt-Antonio said:

Once again I totally disagree; this time about game size. I try to stick with 32p player games whenever possible. Anything under 24p feels horrible; you actually have to look around to find people to kill, and sometime you'll be defending a point and no one ever shows up to try to kill you, UNACCEPTABLE! I demand constant bullets and death. I'm actually very glad that KZ isn't the tacticle shooter they claimed it was, it's pure chaos.

After getting my 1% I'm trying hard to farm out my other ribbons but some of them are just a nightmare. I only have 2 Capture and hold ribbons after trying all day. I got ONE in a Capture only game but it was horrible. A full half hour of nothing but CnH when I only needed a few minutes to get ten kills. I might play more today but the GAF East clan looks like it caved in. I only see 1-2 people on now and many of the better players didn't play at all last week. Our clan leader spent all weekend playing Cod4 :'(

sankt-Antonio

BobTheFork said:
Once again I totally disagree; this time about game size. I try to stick with 32p player games whenever possible. Anything under 24p feels horrible; you actually have to look around to find people to kill, and sometime you'll be defending a point and no one ever shows up to try to kill you, UNACCEPTABLE! I demand constant bullets and death. I'm actually very glad that KZ isn't the tacticle shooter they claimed it was, it's pure chaos.

After getting my 1% I'm trying hard to farm out my other ribbons but some of them are just a nightmare. I only have 2 Capture and hold ribbons after trying all day. I got ONE in a Capture only game but it was horrible. A full half hour of nothing but CnH when I only needed a few minutes to get ten kills. I might play more today but the GAF East clan looks like it caved in. I only see 1-2 people on now and many of the better players didn't play at all last week. Our clan leader spent all weekend playing Cod4 :'(

different strokes for different folks then,

i cant stand 32p games and i do like it when i have to walk 2min (in the desert level) to the enemy base and then go from cover to cover ... then you see someone... you try to get his back... tack tack tack ... he is dead - you hunt the next guy down

feels better to kill someone this way than to spam all you got on one spot... rise and repeat BAH!

:p

sankt-Antonio said:
different strokes for different folks then,

i cant stand 32p games and i do like it when i have to walk 2min (in the desert level) to the enemy base and then go from cover to cover ... then you see someone... you try to get his back... tack tack tack ... he is dead - you hunt the next guy down

feels better to kill someone this way than to spam all you got on one spot... rise and repeat BAH!

Well yeah, different stokes, but I'm louder and angrier so I win!!!!
Honestly unless I'm defending a point I never sit around, it's boring. Just slowly case the level shooting every one.
I will agree it's a mistake for the levels not to have player limits. They could also have done scaling levels like Rfom did.

Rolf NB

Awesome games in the "Open Season" room. Good back and forth, really close wins. They had it limited to 22 players. Felt like a decent enough compromise.

edit: oh, on the topic of playing in SD, thanks to Euro PS3 being limited to 50Hz in SD mode, that experiment didn't last too long. I never quite understood why a Euro PS3 won't allow a game to output 480p60. Euro PS2 games can go into NTSC mode just fine, even over HDMI, progressive or interlaced, whatever, but native PS3 games are locked to 576p50. It's frustrating and completely unnecessary. All Euro HDTVs accept 480p60.

BobTheFork said:
I might play more today but the GAF East clan looks like it caved in. I only see 1-2 people on now and many of the better players didn't play at all last week. Our clan leader spent all weekend playing Cod4 :'(

I too need more Gaffers to play with in the east. It is pretty sad that your clan leader spent the weekend playing another FPS game. I think he needs to assess his priorities and pass leadership on if he isn't going to be one of the most active players.

Perhaps those of us that are commited to this on a nightly/regular basis should form up a clan? With a 32 player clan we can make clan limited servers that would be full games . . . even if only 20 or so people are around at any given time that would still be enough. The Gaf east clans are all very large, but I have only ever seen a max of 14 GAF3 players active at one time (and that was before a scheduled match) . . . every other time there is only 2 -4 people on, and I put in about 3+hrs a night.

sankt-Antonio

BobTheFork said:
Well yeah, different stokes, but I'm louder and angrier so I win!!!!
Honestly unless I'm defending a point I never sit around, it's boring. Just slowly case the level shooting every one.
I will agree it's a mistake for the levels not to have player limits. They could also have done scaling levels like Rfom did.

now swollow this,

and i hate classes all together,... (as they are now)... the game with only rifleman`s,16p,FF ... ...that was/is cool...

Thrakier

NON RESPAWN MODES, NEW MAPS, FIX BALANCING, CAP AT 16 PLAYERS DEPENDING ON MAP.

Do this or I'll stop playing...soon. ;)

EDIT:

Also get rid of silly stuff like the melee ribbon. Seriously, how am I supposed to get it!?

sankt-Antonio said:
now swollow this,

and i hate classes all together,... (as they are now)... the game with only rifleman`s,16p,FF ... ...that was/is cool...

I agree with you there. IMO The best way to do it would have been creating a separate TDM mode with only soilder class and the main weapons. Then, having the Warzone mode with some other objective instead of Body Count. I prefer straight up deathmatch to objectives but the I really like the objectives in KZ.

JudgeN

Thrakier said:
NON RESPAWN MODES, NEW MAPS, FIX BALANCING, CAP AT 16 PLAYERS DEPENDING ON MAP.

Do this or I'll stop playing...soon. ;)

EDIT:

Also get rid of silly stuff like the melee ribbon. Seriously, how am I supposed to get it!?

Someone explain to me what the holy hell is fun about non respawn modes? Those shits fucking suck nothing like getting taken out the match early and have to wait for 15 minutes to actually play.

Varna

JudgeN said:
Someone explain to me what the holy hell is fun about non respawn modes? Those shits fucking suck nothing like getting taken out the match early and have to wait for 15 minutes to actually play.

It might encourage people not to act like fucken idiots. You spawn so fast in KZ2 and I can see the benefit in that, but most people are incredibly reckless even with friendly fire on (and no, this does not balance a thing because most people still don't care about objectives or blowing teammates/themselves away).

Okay this game is screwed. Tacticians ruin everything. Two spawn points will invariably come close to one another, then the whole round turns into a clusterfest. Any slim hope of acomplishing an objective is erased. Am I the only one who seems something wrong with assault spawning with rocket launchers and temporary invincibility. Tacticians screw the game. Everything degenerates thanks to tacticians.

JudgeN said:

Some people prefer a more realistic approach, and option is always good.

Nizz

BruceLeeRoy said:
Seriously. Anyone who consistently tried to play Gears 2 when it launched should recognize the amount of effort GG have gone through to address any issues that pop up.
Yep. Their support of the game has been great so far. :D Oh man, this game is tough on Elite. I'm just before where you have to lower the bridge for the convoy. My god!!

Top Bottom