• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
andycapps said:
How long did it take you to get to general? I'm 16 hours in and only at major. I mean I guess if you don't have much going on and play several hours a night you could get to general pretty fast, or if you're unemployed. For those people that got up to general really fast, I think this is why I think it's important for GG to put out some DLC and do the fixes everyone is talking about to keep those people involved. Maybe start introducing more hardcore modes for people that want them. No respawns, higher damage, etc.

I made it at 19. The last 2-3 ranks flew by. My slogging period was between medic around hour 5 to assault at hour 14 or so.

Once I got the hang of the maps and my secondary abilities, I was racking in nearly 100 points per winning game easily. Plus medals increase your points earnings, so towards the top you earn more and more points for the same actions as before.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This weekend i will be playing lots of Killzone 2 ,so we can make some GAF games.

KZObsessed

Yes! We need more GAF games organised. GAFe vs non Euro GAF peasants!

This weekend... let the games begin.
KlintIndifference.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FFObsessed said:

KlintIndifference.gif
Im in.
Yesterday i unlocked the medic secondary badge(Blood packs!) :D

j-wood said:
Can you get ribbions if you play in a skirmish against bots?

It seems to be impossible for me to get the engineer sentry ribbon :(

I'm pretty sure not. I don't know, I've never played with bots yet though.

You mean the Turret ribbons? It wasn't as hard as I was expecting to get, just keep placing them in tight spaces and on higher ground, join longer games.

andycapps

Kittonwy said:
I like tactician because you can seriously turn the tide of the battle if you have support from your team, a good spawn point makes a whole lot of difference.
angry.gif

Question, what to you guys constitutes a good spawn point? For me lately, I've been seeing where the objective is, and then usually throwing a spawn grenade in a room adjacent to that (not directly in the room as that is mass chaos). I face the opposite direction when I throw it as I want people to come out of it, that way they're not spawning into a wall.

Is that considered a good spawn point? I'm open for suggestions here.. Everyone was using my spawn points so I assume they were good ones.

Last night I'd spawn as tactician and toss a good spawn point out, then switch to engineer so I can try to finally get my 8 ribbons for sentry kills. That gets challenging at my level as there are a lot of engineers so a lot of times the 4 sentries is already filled. Best way I found (outside of farming which I refuse to do) is to do 2 sentries on opposite corners that can take an enemy out pretty fast. Like I said, that strategy is a lot harder when there's only enough space for me to build one sentry, or none at all.

andycapps said:
Question, what to you guys constitutes a good spawn point? For me lately, I've been seeing where the objective is, and then usually throwing a spawn grenade in a room adjacent to that (not directly in the room as that is mass chaos). I face the opposite direction when I throw it as I want people to come out of it, that way they're not spawning into a wall.

Is that considered a good spawn point? I'm open for suggestions here.. Everyone was using my spawn points so I assume they were good ones.

Last night I'd spawn as tactician and toss a good spawn point out, then switch to engineer so I can try to finally get my 8 ribbons for sentry kills. That gets challenging at my level as there are a lot of engineers so a lot of times the 4 sentries is already filled. Best way I found (outside of farming which I refuse to do) is to do 2 sentries on opposite corners that can take an enemy out pretty fast. Like I said, that strategy is a lot harder when there's only enough space for me to build one sentry, or none at all.
High ground is often important,
Then there is making sure the spawned have an easy view of where they spawned
Then make sure it is close enough to the objective, but out of harm's way.
Then there is have a flanking/fallback spawn active as well.
Another thing is to secure the spawn area.

mYm|17|

FFObsessed said:

KlintIndifference.gif

yea, I would definitely like to get some games in with gaf this weekend, even though I suck at this game

Good lord I am trying to get the Saboteur badge and that is some hard shit.
Getting 5 kills without dying takes forrrever. Any strats you guys are using? Radec Academy has a couple nice place to hide after a kill but man this is tough.

KZObsessed

BruceLeeRoy said:
Getting 5 kills without dying takes forrrever. Any strats you guys are using? Radec Academy has a couple nice place to hide after a kill but man this is tough.

5 kills without dying, huh? You need to get 5 kills while in disguise in one match... and then the secondary badge is 5 kills with C4 in one game. x8 for both of course.

andycapps

Dubbedinenglish said:

Ok cool, that sounds like what I'm doing. The flanking/fallback spawn is a good idea too... haven't done that yet. Yeah usually what I try to do is do my spawn, then respawn when I die as an Engineer and put up a sentry bot there and hangout for a while to make sure we're spawning in ok.

MickeyKnox said:
Well a ton of people did used bots pre patch to get all their shit.

I remember hearing that you had to at least have one other online player in the game along with the bots in order to recieve ribbons that way. Am I hearing wrong?

test_account

XP-39C²
YoungHav said:
The worst experience with this game so far is playing through a whole pistols only match only to come short to getting that ribbon. Boring as hell the 1st two tries (missed it the 2nd time), now I can look forward to at least 7 more pistols only matches, Yay!!
Did you play on servers that only had the Body Count mode? If so, then it might be harder to get 10 kills with the pistol. I dont think that the pistol only servers are the coolest thing, i agree, and i prefer to play on servers where every weapons are allowed to use, but i think that the pistol only servers is a nice thing :)

When i used to play Medal of Honor Allied Assault + the exansion packs online for the PC, then i first played on servers where basicly every weapon were allowed to use, but later on i changed to play on servers where it was only allowed to use rifles (except for the M1 Garand rifle, since it shoots faster than the other rifles).

YoungHav said:
Collecting every other ribbon has been fun for me but pistols ribbon has been a dumb chore. I would've liked it if there were more ranks and the large machine guns and magnum were unlockables by going through rank. I hit general at around 30hrs, way too short IMO. I'm at lvl 52, and clocked in 45hrs in Cod4. I know there'll be the "just play teh game!" folks, but all these unlockables, trophies, challenges etc... are incentives and add value to the overall game IMO. On the other end of the spectrum is Warhawk... major grindfest to unlock everything.
Has there been any words on adding new unlockable skills in Killzone 2 through an update? Metal Gear Online added new skills through updates, so i guess it could be possible to do something similar in other games as well :)

YoungHav said:
8 MP maps isn't enough either; could've been a lil more generous.
I wouldnt mind more MP maps myself, but i think the current MP maps is an ok quantity of maps. But hopefully some new maps will be avalible "soon" :)

Cagen

FFObsessed said:

KlintIndifference.gif

I was literally just thinking about challenging GAFw after reading their thread about times they can play.

Fersis

FFObsessed said:
I'm gonna try and hug you while in my Saboteur disguise.
Your hugs taste like shots in the face

Raist said:
Let's challenge one of these other GAF clans, I'd say :D
*Looks at kittonwy* Yeah lets do it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
I don't know if I'll ever get the "kill 10 enemies while defending a zone" ribbon, even if I camp one particular zone in C&H...
Thrakier said:
Yeah, I thought I would go for platinum but after I saw those ribbons...man the 1% trophy is really easy in comparison. I just don't feel like doint that stupid black belt one and the others aren't too great either. If it would just stack up it would be great but with this "do it 5 times in a round" shit...no, not really.
As Winterblink mentioned earlier, it is relatively easy to get the "kill 10 enemies while defending a zone" ribbon when you are playing on a server where the Capture & Hold objective runs for a longer period of time :)

I thought this ribbon would be hard to get myself, but after that i found a server that only had the Capture & Hold mode running at like 30 minutes, and at the Tharsis Depot map (or what it is called), i found this ribbon to be pretty easy to get :)

I agree that it can be really frustrating like if you miss 1 melee kill to get a ribbon, but almost every ribbon in the game can be relatively easy to get if you play on servers that run the modes for a longer period of time, so the total round will last for maybe 45 - 60 minutes, at least in my opinion :)

It is however a pity that you cant see which servers that are running long Warzone games, so it is pretty much just luck if you join one of these servers. Unless that the server name is named something like "Long Warzon Game" or something like that though.

EDIT: I added some text.

andycapps

FFObsessed said:
From now on they'll be referred to as GAF peasants.

:lol

I am down with you guys scheduling some matches, just schedule several at a time during the week or weekends so that I can try to make some of them. I can't make all of them obviously, so if there are multiple ones I can try to make at least one of them.

M3Freak

Banned
I've stopped playing the multiplayer. Without a party system, I can't get into it. I hate the room bullshit.

Multiplayer itself is fun, though. I just want a party system like in R:FoM (the R2 party system is fucked).

test_account

XP-39C²
F#A#Oo said:
Stats so far for online.

627,765 players have logged into KZ2's Warzone (online mode) since release. Not played but connected online. The actual player numbers are lower ofcourse.

180,385 have logged in this week.

So you are right the online players are very low and dropping every week. Last week there was 363,615 player who logged. The previous week it was circa 450,000. Looks like this week will be even lower.
As bcn-ron mentioned, the "Last Week" stats shows 39011 pages. There are 10 users per. page if i am not mistaken, so that would mean that about 390,110 people played Killzone (or logged into Warzone) last week. Where did you see the 363,615 number, over at Killzone.com?

EDIT: I checked the leader boards over at Killzone.com earlier, and those numbers seemed to be alittle different than the numbers that are listed in the leader board numbers that you see directly from the Killzone 2 in-game menu. That is why i ask you if you got the 363,615 number from Killzone.com :) I dont know which number that is the most correct one though.

BruceLeeRoy said:

Step 1: Join match in Helgan Industires with pistols only
Step 2: Load in Engineer with Repair
Step 3: Repair the mounted gun on top of the 1-story building that overlooks the main stetch
Step 4: Load in Sab
Step 5: Man the mounted gun and mow everyone down
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit.

Fersis

M3Freak said:
I've stopped playing the multiplayer. Without a party system, I can't get into it. I hate the room bullshit.

Multiplayer itself is fun, though. I just want a party system like in R:FoM (the R2 party system is fucked).
It works fine.To me at least.

Rolf NB

Kittonwy said:
I like tactician because you can seriously turn the tide of the battle if you have support from your team, a good spawn point makes a whole lot of difference.
angry.gif
It sure does, especially on big maps.
It can get frustrating when you play on the same team with another (couple of) shitty tacticians though, that keep spamming the spawn grenades in the same bad spots as soon as they become available.

The idea of spawn points is to move forward, closer to the objective, not maintain one static face-off position that doesn't help the team win.

E.g. ISA-side search and destroy on Phyrrus. Throwing a spawn into a corner of the big courtyard across the bridge is a nice start, but evenutally you want one behind the huts up the hill, and then on the rooftop immediately around the corner from the target.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would like to play with GAF and I've been asking to be added to the clan for over a week now, but the people who run the clan don't seem to care. I'm sure others are in the same position.

Kuroyume said:
I would like to play with GAF and I've been asking to be added to the clan for over a week now, but the people who run the clan don't seem to care. I'm sure others are in the same position.

Yeah I stopped asking. I figure once the hype dies down a bit and I'm still interested in competitive play, I'll trying joining a clan again.

mrwilt

I'm so jealous of you guys being able to play this game so much. I'd love to be able to play more, but I have too many responsibilities. Stupid responsibilities. :lol

BruceLeeRoy said:

I dont think you have to get five kills without dieing? just five kills during the entire match and all of them when your disguised. Ive gotten it twice so far and all i was doing was running out into battle and having it activated trying to get a few kills before I died.

raYne

TrAcEr_x90 said:
How many hours do you think you had to put in to get the 1% trophy? Or is it based on points?
Points are the only factor that matters.

Last weeks were something along the lines of being sub 4000 or so in total accumulated points for the week. The under/over obviously depends on how many people play.

careful

Dubbedinenglish said:
This works in theory, but in practice, with the short invincibility period upon spawn, you are often better off just sticking a grenade right next to the objective. If you respawn facing the enemy, you can just mow down everyone for the first second or two of invincibility.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TrAcEr_x90 said:
How many hours do you think you had to put in to get the 1% trophy? Or is it based on points?

Its all points.

Someone calculated that 500 points a day (about 3500 a week) nets you easy 1% so far. Those 500 points can come in 2-3 games of 32 player Bodycount with no FF on the winning team, so as little as 20-30 minutes total per day, or 4-8 hours a week or a very intense long Saturday.

On the long side, Warzone with FF on and strategy can net you as little as 20-50 in a losing side game that lasts over an hour. So then you can look at 20-30 hours a week or more.

It varies a whole lot on your skill level, whether you are grinding for it and the number of people in a certain week.

Also, as you unlock medals that increase your earned points, it also gets easier than day 1 playing.

I enjoy the strategy games a whole lot more than the crappy spam fests for points. But with trophies and unlocks, both types have their place in this game.

raYne said:
Points are the only factor that matters.

Last weeks were something along the lines of being sub 4000 or so in total accumulated points for the week. The under/over obviously depends on how many people play.

To add to this, the point totals for the top 3500 (I believe this number is more accurate) were about 5000 points and up. Given that people will have more medals this week I think people looking to get it should try to accumulate at least 6000 points.

AndyD said:
Its all points.

Someone calculated that 500 points a day (about 3500 a week) nets you easy 1% so far. Those 500 points can come in 2-3 games of 32 player Bodycount with no FF on the winning team, so as little as 20-30 minutes total per day, or 4-8 hours a week or a very intense long Saturday.

On the long side, Warzone with FF on and strategy can net you as little as 20-50 in a losing side game that lasts over an hour. So then you can look at 20-30 hours a week or more.

It varies a whole lot on your skill level, whether you are grinding for it and the number of people in a certain week.

Also, as you unlock medals that increase your earned points, it also gets easier than day 1 playing.

I enjoy the strategy games a whole lot more than the crappy spam fests for points. But with trophies and unlocks, both types have their place in this game.

yeah my buddies that were into cod4 who got killzone2 were playing nothing but bodycount cuz thats what they were used too. I had to give them info on how to probperly play warzone and now thats all they play. But now i feel like a hypocrite because all I did last night was play bodycount because that seems to be the quickest way to rack up points for th 1percent trophy. I have the bodycount ribbon from prior play sessions so its +3 the entire round which is nice.

KZObsessed

Was just playing the last level again and a Helghast was flanking me across the balcony on the right side, he started shooting me in the back, I turn round and I was about to die but he trips over one of the Helghast corpses on the ground and falls flat on his face. As he started to get back to his feet I shot him in the head.

I've played the SP for 35 hours and I havn't seen that happen before :lol

andycapps

AndyD said:
Its all points.

^This right here should show GG that they need to tweak how points are accumulated in modes. Obviously if people are having to only play one mode if they want to compete for these top 1% medals then it's not the direction they wanted to go. And yeah, I'll admit I've done some bodycount only matches in an attempt to get some of my ribbons and get a lot of XP.

Bodycount only matches are just not nearly as fun, it's just grinding.

KZObsessed

TrAcEr_x90 said:

It's based on points for that week. But I got it with playing about 14 hours in that specific week. The majority of them were on Saturday tho, and I was well beyond the 1% limit. I think I was within 0.5% at some point.

.GqueB.

Banned
FFObsessed said:
5 kills without dying, huh? You need to get 5 kills while in disguise in one match... and then the secondary badge is 5 kills with C4 in one game. x8 for both of course.
I think he means that if you dont die you have to wait for the guise to recharge.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Fersis said:
Really?
Because she isnt Dutch? She looks like a nice lady.

I think she is, and I think that's why the controversy was rather short-lived. Plus the kiddies are adorable. I think the controversy was more over who her father is and what he's reputed to have done.

FFObsessed said:
It's based on points for that week. But I got it with playing about 14 hours in that specific week. The majority of them were on Saturday tho, and I was well beyond the 1% limit. I think I was within 0.5% at some point.

I must have missed in this thread how you can figure out where you rank for the week. I know how to do it through the game on a weekly basis but is that the correct way? or do i need to do some sort of math to figure it out.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Fersis said:
Oh yeah, i read about that along time ago.
Powerful families were part of that militar dictatorship. Crazy times, and still today some of those people are free.
Sorry for the offtopic rant, friends of my family were abducted and killed by them.

EDIT:And yes it was US sponsored. The freakin' land of freedom.
EDIT2:please add a screenshot feature!!! :D
EDIT3:prince of Orange ?Its because the color or because the fruit?

The Galtieri Junta wasn't much better, though. As a Brit I have some rather surreal memories of a large chunk of our military having to sail halfway around the world to slap some sense into him.

Thankfully, you guys kicked him out on his ear after that and got your country back.

AndyD

aka andydumi
andycapps said:
^This right here should show GG that they need to tweak how points are accumulated in modes. Obviously if people are having to only play one mode if they want to compete for these top 1% medals then it's not the direction they wanted to go. And yeah, I'll admit I've done some bodycount only matches in an attempt to get some of my ribbons and get a lot of XP.

Bodycount only matches are just not nearly as fun, it's just grinding.

The FF makes the biggest difference. FF ON in bodycount only reduces the points per game to shambles and in line with the other modes.

Its the FF that rules the day, not the modes, in my opinion.

Maybe they should have ranked and unranked servers, with FF off as unranked...

raYne

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I must have missed in this thread how you can figure out where you rank for the week. I know how to do it through the game on a weekly basis but is that the correct way? or do i need to do some sort of math to figure it out.
Eh? You just go to your in-game stats and change the filter to points and per week.

Top Bottom