• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

G Rom

I found the first minute of the credits really nice, so I've recorded them.
Here they are.
I guessed it could interest some of you...

(I'll try to post more offline multiplayer videos later)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
G Rom said:
I found the first minute of the credits really nice, so I've recorded them.
Here they are.
I guessed it could interest some of you...

(I'll try to post more offline multiplayer videos later)
This isn't directed at you, but this is exactly why I despise street dates and early shipments for games that had a release date set in stone that is actually later than they needed. There are videos of literally everything in the game, including the ending. It annoys me to no end.

Also:
To everyone complaining about the lack of marketing, games are different than movies. Most people I know that are fairly regular gamers know exactly what they're going to buy months ahead of time. Those that aren't see a commercial for something that looks cool and want to buy it right away. They're much more of an impulse buy. If the game is not available close to or during the height of the marketing campaign, people will forget about it.

G Rom

RoboPlato said:
This isn't directed at you, but this is exactly why I despise street dates and early shipments for games that had a release date set in stone that is actually later than they needed. There are videos of literally everything in the game, including the ending. It annoys me to no end.

Also:
To everyone complaining about the lack of marketing, games are different than movies. Most people I know that are fairly regular gamers know exactly what they're going to buy months ahead of time. Those that aren't see a commercial for something that looks cool and want to buy it right away. They're much more of an impulse buy. If the game is not available close to or during the height of the marketing campaign, people will forget about it.

Well, this isn't the ending credits as they are available at the selection menu (-;
I guess the ending is totally different.
Anyway, I understand your point...

careksims

RoboPlato said:

Yeah that sucks. Then some joes would just watch it and not buy the game. :/ and the magic is lost.

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin said:
here

Almost through the whole thing and it is pretty cool. I was surprised to see that it is pretty much Gears of War in first person. The down side to that is that a lot of the negative things from gears also apply here.

Fucking spoiler that shit. WTF.

Niks said:
r9lbo3.jpg

nd0in5.jpg

You can now download Niks great wallpaper set in the OP.

Squids

Banned
Justin said:
here

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/PS3/1826.html

Almost through the whole thing and it is pretty cool. I was surprised to see that it is pretty much Gears of War in first person. The down side to that is that a lot of the negative things from gears also apply here.

So tempting i stopped at the academy but at the same time i want to go further :lol . It might spoil my fun if i watch whole thing and then play it but so tempting!

bah http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/15/warning-helghast-invasion-of-home-imminent/

In the upcoming (just 12 days away!) Killzone 2, the ISA forces lead an assault of the planet Helghan. But that doesn’t mean the Helghast are on the defensive. In fact, my intel tells me that the Helghast forces are en route to PlayStation Home today.

Fortunately, the Helghast won’t be armed with STA-52 Light Assault Rifles (per se), but with demo codes for Killzone 2.

So if you don’t already have access (by pre-ordering), just jump into Home tonight starting at about 6pm Pacific (9pm Eastern) and keep an eye out for the Helghast soldiers. When you find one, work up the courage and… just ask. If they’ve got any left, they’ll direct message you with the demo key.

Then you can punch that code into the PlayStation Store (upper right corner), download the demo, and repay the Helghan emissary by… invading their planet. Oh well.

Truant

Nearly done with the last part.

Man, you guys are in for some real cheese treats if you though the 'Time to die!' stuff was bad. :lol

Some of the most cringe-worthy stuff in this generation.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Truant said:

Man, you guys are in for some real cheese treats if you though the 'Time to die!' stuff was bad. :lol

haha, okay at this point, it's a socom like online experience, with a small, very short single player demo mode.

Truant

Musashi Wins! said:
haha, okay at this point, it's a socom like online experience, with a small, very short single player demo mode.

I wouldn't say that. The combat in itself is good enough to make the SP worth it, even though the story and the characters are absolutely worthless. I like the backstory in the OP and all that, but it's not like that in the game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Squids said:
Ahh damn i got spoiled by some a-hole on the killzone 2 forums at the playstation boards. Dont go there.
Thats why I stick to gaf. There seems to be better control here for this game than any other forum.

KZObsessed

I'm not going anywhere else but GAF, even tho 1UPyours already spoiled a big moment last podcast.

I'm normally all about the single player but I actually want this game more to get back into the mp than anything. Which has never happened to me before.

Truant said:

seems like they took too much a queue from gears in this one...didnt even realize that game had a story... not expecting much from this one either.

SSM25

Blu_LED said:
This is the wrong game to say that about. Killzone has one of the best stories and universes of any FPS ever made.

I think I get what he's trying to say, Halo 3 has a very good mythology behind the game, but when playing the game it totally fails to capture any of the story telling power of the mythology. It fails miserably while playing the game.

Same could apply to KZ2, which is a shame because I love the backstory.

Truant

Blu_LED said:
This is the wrong game to say that about. Killzone has one of the best stories and universes of any FPS ever made.

Have you actually played it?

The universe is great, but none of that stuff is in the actual game. I don't care if the backstory is great. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't know what the fuck was going on. The game doesn't really set up anything. It assumes you've played the first one, which almost no-one did, and it assumes you've read hours of backstory and universe related material. That's not a very good presentation for the biggest action game of the year, in my opinion. Nothing exciting happens in the game, story wise. NOTHING. Sure, the combat is fantastic, and some of the scenarios are quite epic, but the storytelling just isn't there.

SSM25 said:
I think I get what he's trying to say, Halo 3 has a very good mythology behind the game, but when playing the game it totally fails to capture any of the story telling power of the mythology. It fails miserably while playing the game.

Basically, yes. I'm not familiar with the Halo 3 universe, but I guess the comparison is valid. I think a lot of people who dig the KZ universe are going to be left very disappointed in what actually happens, or doesn't, in the Campaign.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SSM25 said:

Resistance is the same way. It's always disappointing when that happens. I wish FPS would get better at telling the story instead of having it be a requirement to read a lot of extra stuff in order to enjoy it. HL is the only FPS series that does a consistently good job at presenting the story.

Justin

nelsonroyale said:
seems like they took too much a queue from gears in this one...didnt even realize that game had a story... not expecting much from this one either.

Except in gears they are not trying to take themselves 100% serious. In Killzone they are playing completely for drama and it just falls flat.

But who really cares, you are going to be playing the SP for 5 or 6 hours and you will be playing the MP for months and months.

spwolf

RoboPlato said:
Resistance is the same way. It's always disappointing when that happens. I wish FPS would get better at telling the story instead of having it be a requirement to read a lot of extra stuff in order to enjoy it. HL is the only FPS series that does a consistently good job at presenting the story.

probably because playtesting tells them that story is boring and most people skip to it, and those that dont, have official website for it? dunno, i skip all of them :)

SSM25

Justin said:
Except in gears they are not trying to take themselves 100% serious. In Killzone they are playing completely for drama and it just falls flat.

But who really cares, you are going to be playing the SP for 5 or 6 hours and you will be playing the MP for months and months.

I kind of disagree there, the story presentation is only a part of the SP component, maybe the other parts like gunplay, enemy AI, replayabiliy etc etc are there to keep you hooked for many more hours than a single playthrough.

Haunted

Truant said:
Have you actually played it?

The universe is great, but none of that stuff is in the actual game. I don't care if the backstory is great. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't know what the fuck was going on. The game doesn't really set up anything. It assumes you've played the first one, which almost no-one did, and it assumes you've read hours of backstory and universe related material. That's not a very good presentation for the biggest action game of the year, in my opinion. Nothing exciting happens in the game, story wise. NOTHING. Sure, the combat is fantastic, and some of the scenarios are quite epic, but the storytelling just isn't there.

Basically, yes. I'm not familiar with the Halo 3 universe, but I guess the comparison is valid. I think a lot of people who dig the KZ universe are going to be left very disappointed in what actually happens, or doesn't, in the Campaign.
There's no short "Previously on KZ" vid or anything? A short introduction into the characters and what happened during the first KZ, or some of the backstory?

Thanks for mentioning, now I'll make sure to read up on some of this before digging into the game.

RoboPlato said:
Agreed.

Also, there are lots of FPS franchises which just use a present-day setting so there's no extended backstory necessary. But as soon as you create a fictional universe around/for your game, it becomes an issue to flesh it out and present it well in the game. As you said, HL does this best.

Truant

SSM25 said:
I kind of disagree there, the story presentation is only a part of the SP component, maybe the other parts like gunplay, enemy AI, replayabiliy etc etc are there to keep you hooked for many more hours than a single playthrough.

Gears has the element of intentional cheese on their side, which helps a bit. There is no humor in Killzone 2, and it does take itself a little too seriously. None of the characters are likeable.

There is a small problem with the game, that I didn't notice untill a bit later on. The game has some strange presentation issues, in that it constantly switches between showing story stuff in game, controlled fps view, and through standard cutscenes. Making the distinction between the last two can be quite hard at times. Since they change it up so often, you never know what's happening until the camera moves.

One time, me and another character were scouting out an event, and suddenly, another character popped into view from behind. I'm like 'Who's that guy?' for the entire duration, and it turned out that the camera angle didn't change, they just popped the characters in front of where ever the played was pointed at the beginning of the cutscene. I was looking at myself.

nib95

Banned
Truant said:

Really? I didn't get that. The characters do have an exaggerated appeal about them (expected) but I actually thought the more meaty narrative bits were done fairly well. Not brilliant by any means, but pretty good in a "we're still ard solider grunts arr" kind of way.

Top Bottom