• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

SSM25

Truant said:
Gears has the element of intentional cheese on their side, which helps a bit. There is no humor in Killzone 2, and it does take itself a little too seriously. None of the characters are likeable.

There is a small problem with the game, that I didn't notice untill a bit later on. The game has some strange presentation issues, in that it constantly switches between showing story stuff in game, controlled fps view, and through standard cutscenes. Making the distinction between the last two can be quite hard at times. Since they change it up so often, you never know what's happening until the camera moves.

One time, me and another character were scouting out an event, and suddenly, another character popped into view from behind. I'm like 'Who's that guy?' for the entire duration, and it turned out that the camera angle didn't change, they just popped the characters in front of where ever the played was pointed at the beginning of the cutscene. I was looking at myself.

damn......oh well, maybe i'll get addicted to the actual gameplay like I am with the demo?

SSM25

nib95 said:
Really? I didn't get that. The characters do have an exaggerated appeal about them (expected) but I actually thought the more meaty narrative bits were done fairly well. Not brilliant by any means, but pretty good in a "we're still ard solider grunts arr" kind of way.

have you finished the game?, I'll like to hear different opinions.

lupinko

Justin said:
Now you PS3 people know how it feels when every big 360 game gets pirated 2 or 3 weeks before release.

No not really, because these aren't leaks just street dates broken early by various retailers. Also promo copies sold by "game journalists" on ebay as well.

Happened with both RCF and Uncharted, no biggie.

You're trying too hard.

Musashi Wins! said:
In addition to the over-the-top dialogue, there are certain parts of the game which poke fun at the genre. If you listened to the most recent ListenUp, they already spoiled one of those scenes.

cameltoe

Ill wait until I play it to form an opinion on the voice acting...but......

This is whats going to happen to all you motherfuckers in MP!!!!(unless the knife is absent from the MP)

securedownload-2.jpg

I knifed his helmet clear off!!! Like the gash??

Snowden

Banned
lupinko said:
No not really, because these aren't leaks just street dates broken early by various retailers. Also promo copies sold by "game journalists" on ebay as well.

Happened with both RCF and Uncharted, no biggie.

You're trying too hard.
He's really impugning on the honor of our Sacred Console with such idiocy!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Shit, I just noticed that feathers pop out of the chair cushions in the warehouse when you shoot them :lol

Feather Physics in Killzone 2 confirmed!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Truant said:
There is a small problem with the game, that I didn't notice untill a bit later on. The game has some strange presentation issues, in that it constantly switches between showing story stuff in game, controlled fps view, and through standard cutscenes. Making the distinction between the last two can be quite hard at times. Since they change it up so often, you never know what's happening until the camera moves.
That actually sounds pretty awesome - I love when I can't tell when the cutscene stops and the game begins - *moves sticks* "Oh wow, I actually play now"

Truant said:
Gears has the element of intentional cheese on their side, which helps a bit. There is no humor in Killzone 2, and it does take itself a little too seriously. None of the characters are likeable.
Really? I've found a lot of humor in the lines delivered by the Helghast, as well as many of the main characters in cutscenes.

Thrakier

I actually liked the story in the first game. :( Not like "oh best story ever" but quite nice and good enough for a FPS. I also like the whole setting with those alien nazis and the "not really that great" ISA. :-/ The story in gears 2 was shit because nothing happened. Only Maria and that was awful.

Justin

templeusox said:
There actually is a lot of satire and self-parody in the game itself.

Please tell us of some of these moments because I must of missed every one of them.

lupinko said:
You're trying too hard.

Trying too hard to do what exactly? Some people in this thread are a bit on edge. I post that the game plays like a first-person Gears and someone screams to "spoiler that shit". Then I point out that people freaking out over the internet being full of spoilers happens to every big on the 360 thanks to pirates and leaks and I suddenly have a some alternative motive.

bigswords

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bigswords said:
It's still retarded, you have to logon to home and find the particular person wearing the helghast uniform and ask for a limited set of codes.

Bullshit, it's easier to just create a Europe account.

Man this region shit thing is both on PSN and Live. Fuck this online region shit.

Well, the fact that they make you log into Home is certainly cruel and unusual.

gantz85

Banned
lupinko said:
It does kinda suck that there are no midnight launches for this, oh well.

Thing is there isn't enough demand for that. How Killzone 2 will perform in the States is quite a question.

NameIess

gantz85 said:
Thing is there isn't enough demand for that. How Killzone 2 will perform in the States is quite a question.

Gamestop has stated based on preorders they may do a midnight launch.
My local Gamecrazy stated they will do a midnight launch if they get the game early enough period.

Another reason I try to avoid doing business with Gamestop...
I preordered to get the code, but I will cancel if I can get the game at midnight from another retailer.

NameIess said:
Gamestop has stated based on preorders they may do a midnight launch.
My local Gamecrazy stated they will do a midnight launch if they get the game early enough period.

Another reason I try to avoid doing business with Gamestop...
I preordered to get the code, but I will cancel if I can get the game at midnight from another retailer.

Walmart?

bigswords said:
It's still retarded, you have to logon to home and find the particular person wearing the helghast uniform and ask for a limited set of codes.

Man this region shit thing is both on PSN and Live. Fuck this online region shit.

wait i thought the codes where for killzone home gear ?

lupinko

bigswords said:

Well you can always go back to Wii.

I kid, I kid.

P.S. With regards to region specific stuff.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gantz85 said:
My little hick Xbox town is having a KZ2 midnight launch, this is very rare for a PS3 release.

Orlics

This game just proves that they should just legalize weed in America already. I mean if this is what the Dutch can do, just imagine. Just saying.

McLovin

So... quick question. Which stores are doing midnight launches? Because if gamestop isn't doing it then they can kiss my ass. I'm canceling it and just getting the game somewhere else. Bad enough that practically everyone outside the US already played it :(

Truant

Lord Error said:
That actually sounds pretty awesome - I love when I can't tell when the cutscene stops and the game begins - *moves sticks* "Oh wow, I actually play now"

I assure you, the cutscene was nothing impressive. It was just bad presentation.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Truant said:
I assure you, the cutscene was nothing impressive. It was just bad presentation.
I didn't mean that particular one which from what you described sounded like it was just weird in some way - but I've seen some of the videos of the game where you just seem to move in-and-out of the cutscene, and it's not immediately obvious where the cutscene ends. I wouldn't mind if they do that throughout the game.

RoboPlato said:
All none of them.
Someone in the old thread said he was calling some Gamestops in NYC, and some of them said they will be selling it at midnight, but only few, so yeah, you have to wonder what that means for sales of the game. Was Resistance 2 for example sold at midnight more globally, or at all?

zoukka

deepbrown said:
Yes, you kind of feel they could have done a lot more with their story with such a great background.

Well any nerd can write thousands of sheets of lore to their LotR-ripoff mythologies, but it's a completely different matter to present it. A critical matter.

Truant

zoukka said:
Well any nerd can write thousands of sheets of lore to their LotR-ripoff mythologies, but it's a completely different matter to present it. A critical matter.

I think it's a case of developers being out of touch. They obviously know the ins and outs of the story and universe, and can place the events of KZ2 in the timeline, the connections between characters and what not. The problem is that they forget that the average player doesn't have a clue about any of that.

Killzone 2 has some of the best graphics and sound of all time, but the storytelling and narrative presentation feel incredibly dated.

Top Bottom