• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

raYne

Lince said:
m4 revolver can kill you in one hit at a distance further than that
Are you seriously comparing bullets vs shotgun pellets?

And FYI, unless it's a headshot, the M4 is 2 hits on normal classes and 3 hits on Assault class if the target is at full health.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
GodofWine said:
It was out for 2 days in February, those NPD numbers are for TWO days.

OK...back to KZ talk. There is a mounted gun on Corinth that if you get it fixed, and the enemy isn't aware of you, you will get a zillion kills
Things drop considerably after the first day though. Thats why people are worried because this game deserves all the sales it can get.

cresto

PistolGrip said:
Things drop considerably after the first day though. Thats why people are worried because this game deserves all the sales it can get.
i agree. its so damn tempting to go out and blow $400 i dont have just for this game, but at the same time it just doesnt seem totally worth it.

with that said, come on price drop!!!

Rolf NB

It's actually hard to kill someone with a shotgun if your aim is even slightly off. The lack of spread makes it harder to just whittle down an enemy (or a group) with randomly spamming shots around. The shotgun does not make it easier to hit enemies, so it doesn't need any more gimping to compensate either (it already has sharply reduced damage at range). If your aim is good enough to consistently kill with a shotgun, your aim is also good enough to kill with any other weapon. People use the shotgun not because it's cheap (it isn't) but because the class they currently play doesn't have anything else.

/cents

raYne said:
Are you seriously comparing bullets vs shotgun pellets?

And FYI, unless it's a headshot, the M4 is 2 hits on normal classes and 3 hits on Assault class if the target is at full health.

I've been killed at full health from one M4 shot plenty of times.

raYne

Bumblebeetuna said:
I've been killed at full health from one M4 shot plenty of times.
I guarantee that there was some other factor involved. Someone else hit you a split second before, lag/latency hiccup, something... because it doesn't.

Kittonwy

Banned
bcn-ron said:
It's actually hard to kill someone with a shotgun if your aim is even slightly off. The lack of spread makes it harder to just whittle down an enemy (or a group) with randomly spamming shots around. The shotgun does not make it easier to hit enemies, so it doesn't need any more gimping to compensate either (it already has sharply reduced damage at range). If your aim is good enough to consistently kill with a shotgun, your aim is also good enough to kill with any other weapon. People use the shotgun not because it's cheap (it isn't) but because the class they currently play doesn't have anything else.

/cents

I don't understand the complaints about the shotgun because if they gimp it anymore it would be completely useless, I don't even like the shotgun which is why I haven't played engineer much.

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:
Well a few times last night I was killed out in the open from a distance of about 30ft. At that distance it shouldn't be a one shot kill.

It's not. If you're 30 ft away by the time the other person closes in he should be long dead if you're a decent shot with a rifle or even a magnum.
KlintIndifference.gif

Nafai1123 said:
Plant in tight corridors where you know it will detonate, and always plant more than one at a time as one is usually not enough to kill someone. Pretty tough to get, but if you play sab for an entire match and plant in good locations then you should be ok.
Worked like a charm. Thanks.

A.R.K

Kittonwy said:
It's not. If you're 30 ft away by the time the other person closes in he should be long dead if you're a decent shot with a rifle or even a magnum.
KlintIndifference.gif

Unless they headshot you with their shotgun from insane distances and get insta kill. Shot gun range is BS in KZ2. It should only be 1 shot kill up close not when you are some 10+ feet away.

VNZ

Like 50% of the matches I played today had disabled the assault class, which should tell something about tweaks being necessary. I wish you could individually disable secondary badges as well, because boost is fucking stupid. Mostly because it makes the game look like some Benny Hill farce, actually... :D

The boosting speed should be reduced, and it should drain health while running. Also, they have to do something about those running animations.

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
KlintIndifference.gif

The shotgun whores always get me when I'm reloading. I think I'm reloading to much actually but I hate it when I'm just about to down a guy and I run out bullets and someone else steals my kill or my target kills me when attempting to reload. I know I can use the pistol, but I suck with it.

Boss Man

I think Assault would be a lot more balanced if you were forced to use zoom when shooting rockets. Running around shooting rockets off at people's feet is just dumb. That, and make Boost drain health as has been mentioned.

Zeliard

Killzone 2's A.I. is incredibly fun to fight against on Elite. They don't just do and take more damage, but their tactics are also superior. The Elite Helghast seem to put a lot more emphasis on their self-preservation, and will switch between cover points a lot more frequently and effectively to get into the best ideal spot. It's really neat to watch.

Firewire said:
But that's one bullet, a shotgun is supposed to have a spread. The farther the target the larger the spread meaning less shit is supposed to hit me.

At a 30ft range I think it should be at least 2 shots to get the kill.

I was watching that show on Discovery where they show shit happen in super slow motion and they had a skeet shooter on. The guy was able to adjust the spread using a little nob or something--it really led to a much tighter spread on those pellets. Not sure about 30 feet, but it doesn't sound totally wild.

icechai

Firewire said:
Well a few times last night I was killed out in the open from a distance of about 30ft. At that distance it shouldn't be a one shot kill.

you were injured from other fire/grenade blast, i got a few people 30 ft from shotgun that way when playing engineer, but didn't work as well so i went back to magnum when not in corridors :p Had one nice headshot on some guy boosting far away in Salamun Market with that pistol, stupendously satisfying.

JardeL

Justin Dailey said:
No points for healing people, placing spawn points, defending assassination targets, running a squad (and therefore providing spawn points to others), placing bombs that do not explode, defusing bombs. The results is that a lot of people ignore mission based objectives so they can just rack up more XP.
No points for healing people but if you heal 5 people in a round you got a ribbon and do it 8 times , you ll get a medal and unlock something ...

Placing spawn points is not a magic , choosing Tactician and throwing a grenade does not deserve extra point ... But you already have something if 10 people use your spawn point ; a ribbon ... Do it 8 times and you ll again take a medal and unlock something ...

Extra points for defending assasination target ? Maybe but how ?.. Circular area around target , and if you kill enemy in it you get extra points for defending ...

About running a squad ,something similar to spawn point can be alright ... If your teammates spawn at you 10 times , you get ribbon etc ... But I dont think it is neccesary ...

What's the point of extra points if your bombs do not explode ?.. I would agree if you say more points for exploded bombs ... It should be 12 points ...

I agree with " extra points for defused bombs " ... Come on , sometimes I sacrifice myself for it :lol ...

And what the hell was that " KZ2 hits 1 million pre-orders at Gamestop ALONE " shit ?.. 323K , total failure for Sony if you ask me ... I'm very happy with the game itself and I dont care sales as long as Sony delivers magnificent exclusives like this but I d like to see it sold more than a million ... And yes I know it is only 2 days of sale ...

Ploid 3.0

Oh wow, I had a dream that the airbots were controllable by the tactician that summoned it as an option. It made killing with the bots a lot better, especially for the ribbons, but made the tactician a easy target MGS4 style. I hate when dreams seem so real, it was actually pretty cool.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh wow, I had a dream that the airbots were controllable by the tactician that cummoned it as an option. It made killing with the bots a lot better, especially for the ribbons, but made the tactician a easy target MGS4 style. I hate when dreams seem so real, it was actually pretty cool.
@_@

Ploid 3.0

It was intuitive, think warhawk, but always in hover mode. The snipers were pissed off at me. It was like having a remote scout (not sniper scout, but actual scout), check out the enemy and take out the snipers.

Hey I don't know where to put this and I don't know if anyone in this thread doesn't have the game already but.....

I saw on CAG that anyone who buys Killzone 2 this week gets half off any 2nd PS3 game

link to thread

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ploid 3.0 said:
It was intuitive, think warhawk, but always in hover mode. The snipers were pissed off at me. It was like having a remote scout (not sniper scout, but actual scout), check out the enemy and take out the snipers.

Interesting. A limited flight range, limited gun range drone... With guns and perhaps smoke screen grenades as a secondary ability. Leaving the tactician as a sitting duck relatively nearby.

Not a bad idea.

Dante

Rapping Granny said:
Anyone else getting bored of this game?

I'm not, but then again I still ahve a bunch of stuff to unlock. I really like playing the longer matches.

BTW anybody here watch the Titan Pack trailer after playing so much KZ2 it looks like it's playing in Ultra Fast Forward :lol

Was playing with a couple of GAFW guys in some random matches last night :)

jmd494

Rapping Granny said:
Slightly...but I can't really complain (not saying that you are). I got 15 hours of fun through the campaign and 20 hours of fun through multiplayer.

$60 for 35 hours of fun sounds good to me.

Zen

Banned
Rapping Granny said:

I was, but less game modes and 16 players sort of revitalized it for me. I'm also tending to play it on servers with no assault class.

KZObsessed

Rapping Granny said:

You need to pace yourself, you've already played it for 80 + hours. Play something else in between or better yet get some clan games going. They're a lot of fun.

The Chef

Know whats depressing - when you cant play all weekend because your out of town. But all you can do is look at killzone.com and see your rank slowly climb up..and up...and up while you are unable to play and defend your position. :(

ianp622

I'm not going to argue about whether it's the best for gameplay, but the range for the shotgun is more realistic than shotguns in most other games. Here's a chart I found for shotgun spreads at different chokes:

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

(Scroll down for the first chart)

Even with the widest spread choke, 80% of the pellets end up with a 30" diameter circle at 20 yards. That's even farther than what it is in KZ2.

With a narrow choke, you could fire a shotgun at 40 yards and get 70% within that same circle.

jmd494

The Chef said:
Know whats depressing - when you cant play all weekend cuz your out of town. But all you can do is look at killzone.com and see your rank slowly climb up..and up...and up while you are unable to play and defend your position. :(
Yeah...to be honest...I want to play some MLB the Show...My current rank is 202/255,908 (0.08%). But I'm scared to stop playing because I get the feeling a ton of people are going to climb WAY up during the weekend. :lol

raYne

ianp622 said:
I'm not going to argue about whether it's the best for gameplay, but the range for the shotgun is more realistic than shotguns in most other games. Here's a chart I found for shotgun spreads at different chokes:

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

(Scroll down for the first chart)

Even with the widest spread choke, 80% of the pellets end up with a 30" diameter circle at 20 yards. That's even farther than what it is in KZ2.

With a narrow choke, you could fire a shotgun at 40 yards and get 70% within that same circle.
Does it tell you what the lethality zone is when the target's wearing full combat armor?

:p

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:
The shotgun whores always get me when I'm reloading. I think I'm reloading to much actually but I hate it when I'm just about to down a guy and I run out bullets and someone else steals my kill or my target kills me when attempting to reload. I know I can use the pistol, but I suck with it.

If you haz teh magnum you would wuv teh pistol.
gladtomeetya.gif

icechai

Rapping Granny said:

after spending 2 days and 13 hours online, nope not at all. I AM BORED OF PUBLIC SERVERS however, which is why its so nice to come home and play an hour or 2 a day with clan members/friend list ppls. I mean its not really about unlocking stuff/gaining ranks anymore, more just about having fun with the game and getting your team to win. I've also spent maybe 10 hrs on single player (finished trooper, doing elite) and that's quite a good break from multiplayer (that and motorstorm 2 ^_^).

andycapps

Firewire said:

Don't iron sight with it. Has a decent amount of auto-aim on it, I've taken out quite a few people when I ran out of bullets and someone got the jump on me as I was reloading. Main thing is you have to get out of that thing that other shooters have conditioned you to: reloading after every kill. Other shooters where reloading is pretty much instantaneous make the transition to Killzone 2 a bit frustrating in the beginning. You really have to make sure you're clear from all directions and sit behind cover for a second while you reload.

Zen

Banned
Kittonwy said:
What vektan mapz? Therez vektan mapz?
angry.gif

They said they're working on DLC, they've also said (via a community manager on the PS forums) that some of the original Killzone maps will make their way to Killzone 2.

Top Bottom