• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
____ said:
I don't mean to proceed...I mean for the waves to stop.

I'm pretty sure I took out more than 4 waves of 4 Helghast waiting for my opportunity to take out the tank.

After every wave, I'd try to go at the tank, and here come another group of 4-6 helghast.

I mean...I'm gonna run it back tomorrow to be certain because MAYBE i'm mistaken, but as long as I spent forcing myself not to throw my controller against the wall on that stage...I was seriously thinking "are they EVER gonna stop?" :lol

I decided to take a look at the script statemachine for that section, and without checking it in game, I see that there are 2 Assaults, then 16 Shock Troopers (SMG guys) (max 4 at a time). The shock troopers stop prematurely if you destroy the tank or move forward. Then 5 more Shocks should spawn (max 3 at a time), and finally there should be a rocket launcher guy somewhere.

andycapps

Tempy said:
I decided to take a look at the script statemachine for that section, and without checking it in game, I see that there are 2 Assaults, then 16 Shock Troopers (SMG guys) (max 4 at a time). The shock troopers stop prematurely if you destroy the tank or move forward. Then 5 more Shocks should spawn (max 3 at a time), and finally there should be a rocket launcher guy somewhere.

I hate the shock troopers and hated that part. Those guys are brutal. Hated as in very challenging, BTW. Was still good I just had to figure out a way to get it. Eventually ended up going to that side corner on the left and waiting for them to walk by and taking them out as they did so.

RavenFox

Banned
Zen said:
They said they're working on DLC, they've also said (via a community manager on the PS forums) that some of the original Killzone maps will make their way to Killzone 2.
arghhhhhhhhhhhh you made my day bro

grendelrt

I get killed by the shotgun all the time, but I dont really see a problem with it. When I play with it, it takes multiple shots to take someone down at a medium distance. If they are close, it takes one well placed shot. If I am medium or long distance away from someone with any rifle, just forget about it, if they are competent I am toast. I kill shot gun people all the time by just keeping my distance, if I am super close its either bad luck or my own fault.

Tempy said:
That is exactly what I described, on every difficulty from Trooper to Elite: don't destroy or damage the tank and you get four waves of four, then as you advance two more waves, then the rocket guy is on the balcony on the top left. Thanks for confirming Tempy!

Is there any way you can check the AA gun section of Salamun Bridge? You mentioned earlier in the thread that it was finite Helghast, but I couldn't get them to stop.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Liabe Brave said:
That is exactly what I described, on every difficulty from Trooper to Elite: don't destroy or damage the tank and you get four waves of four, then as you advance two more waves, then the rocket guy is on the balcony on the top left. Thanks for confirming Tempy!

Is there any way you can check the AA gun section of Salamun Bridge? You mentioned earlier in the thread that it was finite Helghast, but I couldn't get them to stop.

I'll take a look on monday. This is before the AA gunner has died right? If so, where are you standing and shooting from?

raYne

Tempy said:
I'll take a look on monday. This is before the AA gunner has died right? If so, where are you standing and shooting from?
Start from waaay in the back behind the weapon casing near the left wall.

edit:
And see what happens by killing the AA Gunner first vs going taking out the soldiers without advancing.

Joe211

haha I beat the game in Elite yahoooo
Visari Palace was so hard I really hate Hellghast now :D.
I use my knife everytime they were coming at me it was fun but stressful.

Tempy said:
You're awesome!

When testing, I tried to avoid any possible triggers, so I did not advance and I did not kill the AA gunner. I either stood as far back as possible and shot troops from that range, or else I backed around the corner of the bridge stanchion so the AA gun wasn't even visible, and let them rush that position. Under these conditions, I never saw the waves stopping. (I'd estimate I killed 30 or so Helghast.)

When I shot the AA gunner dead from long range, I believe the Helghast stopped spawning and only those present at that time needed to be killed. However, it's possible that killing the AA gunner didn't do this, but rather advancing forward. At some point, Garza says "Sev! I got your 20 from up here!", which may indicate a trigger point that stops them.

Did I mention you're awesome?

Kittonwy

Banned
Zen said:
They said they're working on DLC, they've also said (via a community manager on the PS forums) that some of the original Killzone maps will make their way to Killzone 2.

I don't know the old maps well, is there one based on that cherry tree level in KZ1? That would make a pretty map.
angry.gif

A.R.K

Tempy said:

Thats exactly how it goes. I have noticed this: if I am sitting in a corner trying to kill the waves of troops and they keep coming (and I keep dying), I am doing something wrong. You either have to move forward to cause some trigger to happen or take care of some objective. There is no infinite respawn so to speak of.

Ploid 3.0

Tempy said:

Is that the part when you're on the
train
? Oooh boy I loved that part. It kicked my butt something fierce, I love getting beat by the game at times. No smooth sailing, actual battles.

A.R.K said:
Thats exactly how it goes. I have noticed this: if I am sitting in a corner trying to kill the waves of troops and they keep coming (and I keep dying), I am doing something wrong. You either have to move forward to cause some trigger to happen or take care of some objective. There is no infinite respawn so to speak of.
If you can sit in one place and kill guys, and an infinite number of them come out to replace those, that's the very definition of an infinite respawn. Of course there are triggers to make them stop--otherwise you would've reached the end of the game!

You're right that there's no infinite respawn on the train, but that's because you do not have to advance or kill someone specific to stop the enemies from coming. There is a finite number, and eventually they run out. (You can stop them sooner by blowing up the tank, evidently, but you don't have to.)

My tests have found true infinite respawning in only three sections of Killzone 2, all in the Salamun Bridge level:
Bridge East (infinite ground enemies until you advance; finite gun nest enemies)
AA gun ## (infinite ground enemies until you kill the AA gunner; Tempy is going to verify, since I may be wrong)
Bridge West (infinite gun nest enemies until you advance; finite ground enemies)

I'm pretty darn certain that the only other infinite spawn in the game is in the Visari Palace Inner Courtyard. It's definitely infinite at the beginning if you don't advance at all. I haven't tested past the progressive trigger checkpoints, but I suspect it stays infinite--just pushed back--all the way up to the door.

AndyD

aka andydumi
JB1981 said:
These game needs a hardcore mode:

No HUD
No respawn
No radar
No Objectives - Body Count only

I would leave the objectives in and limit badges to one per team except soldiers in 8v8. 2 per team in 16v16.

Also team radar and enemies radar on shoot and scout tagged only.

TDM hardcore is always boring as people camp to try and kill the others as they come around a corner or something. Actually motivating for an objective is the way to go.

Core407

Banned
They need to allow me to customize my HUD and not just give me an on or off option. I need markers but I don't want to see peoples names above their heads FFS. Really dumb move, GG.

Kittonwy said:
It would be fun for like one round then I would just get bored and play it regular-style.

Yeah. No respawn seems good except that it encourages camping. If it is team based body count, you are the last surviving member of your team and you lack a winner's confidence then it encourages you to hide until time runs out so you at least force a draw.

Perhaps increase the respawn timer every time you die to force people to play more conservatively?

Dirtbag

JB1981 said:
These game needs a hardcore mode:

No HUD
No respawn
No radar
No Objectives - Body Count only

I'd rather

-No Crosshair (but full hud, enemies only appear on radar after spot and marked)
-Extra bullet damage (grenades are lethal enough, grenades should do more damage to turrets/bots though)
-Map resets after each round (everyone spawns back at bases and all turrets/bots/repairs are reset).
-No respawn invulnerability.

Kittonwy

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
Yeah. No respawn seems good except that it encourages camping. If it is team based body count, you are the last surviving member of your team and you lack a winner's confidence then it encourages you to hide until time runs out so you at least force a draw.

Perhaps increase the respawn timer every time you die to force people to play more conservatively?

The more you penalize a player by keeping him on the sidelines, the less accessible the game is and the fewer people are going to play it.

Ploid 3.0

Dirtbag said:
I'd rather

-No Crosshair (but full hud, enemies only appear on radar after spot and marked)
-Extra bullet damage (grenades are lethal enough, grenades should do more damage to turrets/bots though)
-Map resets after each round (everyone spawns back at bases and all turrets/bots/repairs are reset).
-No respawn invulnerability.

I found it odd that I could set up a lot of turrets then spawn as another class with them still active. Same for spawn points. I know they are on a timer, but how often do people stay alive long enough to not die and replace them (spawn point)?

Core407

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The more you penalize a player by keeping him on the sidelines, the less accessible the game is and the fewer people are going to play it.

That is why you make it a server option with the ability yo filter out these game types.

careful

Kittonwy said:

RE: Accessibility

The same argument was used by people put off by the controls. 'Just saying..

JB1981

raYne said:
Hurts it for me, as that's the main reason why I don't play the MP.
Well, that sucks.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting it be the only way to play, just an option. Options are good and KZ lacks them, which will be the main reason why a lot of people move on (which a lot of people seem to be doing).

raYne

JB1981 said:
Well, that sucks.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting it be the only way to play, just an option. Options are good and KZ lacks them, which will be the main reason why a lot of people move on (which a lot of people seem to be doing).
Totally agreed there.

GG needs to hurry up with the fixes and implementation of a bunch of what should've been mandatory features.

Kittonwy

Banned
careful said:

Killzone 2 controls not being ultra twitch actually makes it MORE accessible to non-twitch players who can in fact flank someone and not have him turn 180 and shoot him in the head.
Indifferent2.gif

This is very different from trying to make the game move in a direction where half the people are just watching half the time, people who are already having trouble aiming don't have a reticle to work with, they get killed out of nowhere because there's no radar and there's no incentive for them to play because they keep getting killed and the only thing that counts are kills.

Dirtbag

careful said:

Which have since seen a patch, and the long-term success of the less accessibile franchise far from defined. Accessibility extends beyond controls and dips way into interface (things like party systems, and playlists). Till told otherwise, COD is still the king of PSN.

'Just saying.'

Kittonwy said:
Killzone 2 controls not being ultra twitch actually makes it MORE accessible to non-twitch players who can in fact flank someone and not have him turn 180 and shoot him in the head.
Indifferent2.gif

This is very different from trying to make the game move in a direction where half the people are just watching half the time, people who are already having trouble aiming don't have a reticle to work with, they get killed out of nowhere because there's no radar and there's no incentive for them to play because they keep getting killed and the only thing that counts are kills.
Killzone 2 has a ridiculously high learner curve, if you can't see and admit that then you are living in the clouds. Everything about the game is a challenge, and nothing is spoon-fed. I can't think of many other FPS's that have a higher entry bar than this one.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
Well, that sucks.

Not sure wtf people are moving on to, Killzone 2 is basically the best online experience on the PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

Dirtbag

Kittonwy said:
Not sure wtf people are moving on to, Killzone 2 is basically the best online experience on the PS3.
Indifferent2.gif

Oh please, Killzone is still climbing Mt.COD.
Maybe COD gamers haven't moved on yet (to Killzone2).

j-wood

Dirtbag said:
Oh please, Killzone is still climbing Mt.COD.
Maybe COD gamers haven't moved on yet (to Killzone2).

1. Killzone 2 does not have "the highest learning curve of an FPS." I suck at FPS's. I sucked at COD, TF2, and I'm actually pretty decent in this game. I take it you haven't played warhawk? That's a high learning curve.

2. Is there really a reason why you are in this thread? Unless of course it makes you feel better to try and prove that your favorite game is THE best game. For the sake of the Killzone 2 players, just go back to COD if that's what you really want dude.

Dirtbag

j-wood said:
1. Killzone 2 does not have "the highest learning curve of an FPS." I suck at FPS's. I sucked at COD, TF2, and I'm actually pretty decent in this game. I take it you haven't played warhawk? That's a high learning curve.
Learning curve's extend to everything from map design, to clear game objectives, to the hud, to controls. Killzone is an incredibly complex game to learn. People that picked the game up at launch also saw the slow unlock of character classes across PSN. Someone just picking up the game now will be thrown right into the goat-rodeo. Even the match finding system isn't particularly clear about which skill level games you enter.
And no where did I say it was "THE highest", but that it is among the highest.
Warhawk did have a deep learning curve, perhaps part of why it was switched from a full retail release to a PSN one.
2. Is there really a reason why you are in this thread? Unless of course it makes you feel better to try and prove that your favorite game is THE best game. For the sake of the Killzone 2 players, just go back to COD if that's what you really want dude.
Because I can argue from a different perspective. The perspective of someone who doesn't feel obligated to like everything or even anything about the game. For the record I think that Halo is the still the superior game, but I'm having a great time with Killzone 2, and it validates my ps3 since I play COD on the 360 (with a superior FPS controller as well).

j-wood

Dirtbag said:
Learning curve's extend to everything from map design, to clear game objectives, to the hud, to controls. Killzone is an incredibly complex game to learn. People that picked the game up at launch also saw the slow unlock of character classes across PSN. Someone just picking up the game now will be thrown right into the goat-rodeo. Even the match finding system isn't particularly clear about which skill level games you enter.
And no where did I say it was "THE highest", but that it is among the highest.
Warhawk did have a deep learning curve, perhaps part of why it was switched from a full retail release to a PSN one.

Because I can argue from a different perspective of someone who feels obligated to like everything about the game.

If they choose to not filter servers by rank. The game by default only shows you servers that have players with your rank.

You won't start out as a rifleman in a game with scouts and assualts unless you choose too.

The game is still at retail, and people will be buying it every week, so there will constantly be new players.

Back to the learning curve, map design comes with every single online FPS. You have to learn the map for every game. You can't single that on KZ. Same with the hud.

Honestly, objectives are self explanatory. If you don't understand what "Capture and Hold" means, and can't follow arrows on your screen, then you probably shouldn't be playing an FPS online.

Granted the controls ARE different, but after a few matches, it's second nature.

Dirtbag

j-wood said:
If they choose to not filter servers by rank. The game by default only shows you servers that have players with your rank.

You won't start out as a rifleman in a game with scouts and assualts unless you choose too.

The game is still at retail, and people will be buying it every week, so there will constantly be new players.

Back to the learning curve, map design comes with every single online FPS. You have to learn the map for every game. You can't single that on KZ. Same with the hud.

Honestly, objectives are self explanatory. If you don't understand what "Capture and Hold" means, and can't follow arrows on your screen, then you probably shouldn't be playing an FPS online.

Granted the controls ARE different, but after a few matches, it's second nature.
The product of all those factors is what makes killzone2 an incredibly deep and not immediately accessible game. It's not just anyone of those alone. Even the clan-first mentality of online play seems to further validate my point. There is no hand-holding in Killzone, for many people this is some of the charm (present company included).

j-wood

Dirtbag said:
The product of all those factors is what makes killzone2 an incredibly deep and not immediately accessible game. It's not just anyone of those alone. Even the clan-first mentality of online play seems to further validate my point. There is no hand-holding in Killzone, for many people this is some of the charm (present company included).

How is the combination of the hud, map design, and the other factors you mentioned any different from learning to play COD?

My point is those are basic features you have to learn of ANY online FPS, and to single KZ out for it is unfair.

Although yes, KZ does seem to have a clan-first mentality.

Top Bottom