• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Raist said:
KZ2 a twitch shooter?

:lol

That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever read about KZ2

I thought all fast action FPS fell under that description. Where's the problem? Gunplay is not incredibly different to COD/Halo/CS et al.

-viper-

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I thought all fast action FPS fell under that description. Where's the problem? Gunplay is not incredibly different to COD/Halo/CS et al.
Actually it's completely different to COD.

COD is exactly the type of game you would describe as a twitch shooter. I hate it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I was on vacation and haven't played in about 9 days. I was just on and I could have SWORN some guy was hacking... like an invisible hack or something. He finished 70-8 or something like that. Is there some hack or bug going around?

Lince

Banned
so finally beat the game in Elite... the final showdown took me 3 tries, but killing
Radec
with the knife was so satisfying, gotta thank my 5.1 headphones for revealing
his teleporting spots
every time :p

I noticed the game has some framerate problems here and there when played in Elite mode, maybe due to the higher amount of enemies or the complex AI routines, still very enjoyable and the feeling of accomplishment is quite unparalleled. I wanted to play some mp after that but was too tired, I watched some GAFe games instead, you guys rock :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
commish said:
UT or Quake is a twitch shooter. COD is not.

^What he said.

There are various degrees of course, but games where you often have to quickly change your aim and shoot can be described as "twitch". Like the older FPS series such as Doom, Quake, UT. Then there's the more thoughtfully paced shooters like Counter-Strike. Haven't played COD4 online much, but it did seem faster paced in MP than in SP, but then again, so is KZ2.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Has anyone attempted speed runs for the various difficulties?
In the easiest mode people should be able to get really fast times, although there are a bunch of encounters which you have to clear, rather than running past it.

womfalcs3

Banned
commish said:
I was on vacation and haven't played in about 9 days. I was just on and I could have SWORN some guy was hacking... like an invisible hack or something. He finished 70-8 or something like that. Is there some hack or bug going around?

Are you sure he wasn't just using the scout class? The scout class has cloaking abilities.

When they're still and aren't shooting, they are invisible. After they get a kill, they have to wait a little bit before re-activating the invisibility mechanism.

raYne

commish said:
Are you sure he was invisible? If so, what map? 'Cause there are a bunch of them where people can glitch through the environment. While there, they are pretty much "invisible" and untouchable. Check youtube.

Or he could've just been good/lucky. For example, I had a 65-15 game a while back in some ridiculous epiphany moment with the Sab.

jett

D-Member
Tempy said:
In the easiest mode people should be able to get really fast times, although there are a bunch of encounters which you have to clear, rather than running past it.

no, because FUCK RADEK IN THE ASS

Tempy said:

I got just under 10 mins for Radec on easy, did it for the rifle.....Speaking of which weren't the winners supposed to be announced/notified?

VNZ

Zen said:
You might have been on a game taht had that class disabled. Or you quit mid game in a warzone and lost XP, knocking you down to just below your recently attained rank.
How much XP do you lose by quitting? I've quit matched in KZ2 more than any other game, since there's no way to tell what stupid settings the match you're joining are set up with.

I wish there was a way to hog tie the Assassination Target (on your team) and drag him to a place of safety.

I literally threw my body in front of the him since he ran to the front line.
I took the bullet and died. He still didn't retreat and died soon after.

Best Buy has a deal starting on Sunday for Reward Zone Gamers Club members. When you buy Killzone 2, you get any other PS3 game for 50% off. Kind of a good deal, for those on the fence. It is in their Sunday ad.

cresto

-viper- said:

COD is exactly the type of game you would describe as a twitch shooter. I hate it.
this is exactly why i almost exclusively play the gears series. cannot stand twitch on console. pc is different (CS :D)

SOOOO, I'm finally @ the end on my Elite run-through. I'm not sure how hard the last part of this is going to be but I had a bitch of a time just on veteran. I actually got to the second check-point of the fight last night (when the side doors open) but then I dies 10 times so I stopped for the night. I don't even want to think about the rockets yet. Elite had been a hard run but not the hardest thing I've done. It's my third playthrough so I've gotten used to it by now.

Kittonwy

Banned
BobTheFork said:
SOOOO, I'm finally @ the end on my Elite run-through. I'm not sure how hard the last part of this is going to be but I had a bitch of a time just on veteran. I actually got to the second check-point of the fight last night (when the side doors open) but then I dies 10 times so I stopped for the night. I don't even want to think about the rockets yet. Elite had been a hard run but not the hardest thing I've done. It's my third playthrough so I've gotten used to it by now.

The second checkpoint is perhaps the hardest part of the fight.
angry.gif

In Visari Hammer during Search and Destroy...

While defending we just gave up trying to guard both locations. We just all built up a good defense around one C4 location.

I can't think of any good reason not to do it this way all the time. Sending people out to the other C4 tower just gets people mobbed.

Zeliard

Tempy said:
^What he said.

There are various degrees of course, but games where you often have to quickly change your aim and shoot can be described as "twitch". Like the older FPS series such as Doom, Quake, UT. Then there's the more thoughtfully paced shooters like Counter-Strike.

I know you probably didn't really mean anything by it, but I have to take exception to this. :p

Play in so-called "twitch shooters" (is that term now a pejorative?) can be just as "thoughtful" as in slower-paced games like Counterstrike. The notion that fast-paced shooters somehow require fewer tactics than in other types has to be one of the bigger misconceptions in gaming. They just require different ones.

Watch your typical high-level (or even mid-level) Quake 1v1 and you'll see a chess match full of strict timing and predicting - it's always been far moreso the thinking aspect of the game that has separated players in Quake, rather than aim and movement (which everyone at the mid-to-higher levels can do very well).

Got 4 assassination kills to get my medal tonight. Saboteur during that mission is godly. They practically let me walk right up to the target.

Dante

GG's tonight! man...a good night for me and I consider myself pretty mediocre at online FPS's

Props to Kittonwy, Hoffman, TTP, and other less famous gaffers. All who rank above me on my friendlist. Y2kevbug.....Come on man..... I am pretty bad, but your score is pretty sad :p I don't know why but I expected you to be higher.

Now that I got my boost medal I feel much better about playing withe Gaffers. Tactician is my class of choice. I feel like I was the catalyst of many victories tonight :)

Raiden

Banned
Wow i love this game, i went from really sucking ass in the first time playing it, to be actually pretty good. I tend to score highest points 7 out of 10 matches, and my K/D is mostly 2.0.

Though i gotta say im not much of a teamplayer usually, i hate the propaganda speaker objective, and the territories, i love the Search and destroy and assasination modes though.

Been trying to get my overall K/D up now, which was completely screwed because me and my friend played on it together the first 5 hours i had the game.

Its so addicting, and i love the "triiing" sound when you get a kill.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tempy said:

I would have loved to go through the game trying to get fast times, but I eventually abandoned the idea due to various factors, like:

- No reward whatsoever (side note: levels completion times are the only campaign statistics not mentioned in the uploaded stats on killzone.com)
- Lack of clarity. Do cut scene count? Do manually restarting at checkpoint resets time to the one elapsed up until that checkpoint? Am I actually doing better than in my previous speed run?

Which brings me to considering how awesome a proper Time Attack mode would have been. Let me elaborate.

BASICS

- In Time Attack mode, each level is a stage. When a stage ends, game stops offering the option to proceed to the next one or retry the previous one.

- Each stage starts with a "3... 2... 1... GO!" overlapping the last 3 seconds of the cutscene introducing that stage. Actually, a "3... 2... 1... Time to Die!" would be more appropriate and awesome.

- Each stage has Bronze, Silver and Gold times.

- Game difficulty is locked to Veteran, with final boss switching to lower difficulty.

HUD/INTERFACE

- Chronometer runs on the top of the screen or wherever. It needs to be visible of course.
- Best times (personal and online) are displayed as well.

SCORING SYSTEM

- Running through a stage avoiding confrontation is not the only option, nor the smartest. Kills matter much like Takedowns in Burnout Paradise's Road Rage.
- Melee/knife kills detract -1 second
- Main weapon/Grenade/Explosions -2 seconds
- Pistol kills -3 secs
- Headshots -5 secs
- Each kill you score "chirps" as in MP.
- A multiplier system is in place, multiplying those extra secs x2, x3, x4 etc based on the time lapsed between kills (kills within 2secs from each other add 1 to the multiplier. X simultaneous kills add X to the multiplier). Missing a "within 2 secs" kill resets the multiplier.

OTHER STUFF

- New trophies, leaderboards and ghost downloads.

-viper-

Banned
TTP said:
I would have loved to go through the game trying to get fast times, but I eventually abandoned the idea due to various factors, like:

- No reward whatsoever (side note: levels completion times are the only campaign statistics not mentioned in the uploaded stats on killzone.com)
- Lack of clarity. Do cut scene count? Do manually restarting at checkpoint resets time to the one elapsed up until that checkpoint? Am I actually doing better than in my previous speed run?

Which brings me to considering how awesome a proper Time Attack mode would have been. Let me elaborate.

BASICS

- In Time Attack mode, each level is a stage. When a stage ends, game stops offering the option to proceed to the next one or retry the previous one.

- Each stage starts with a "3... 2... 1... GO!" overlapping the last 3 seconds of the cutscene introducing that stage. Actually, a "3... 2... 1... Time to Die!" would be more appropriate and awesome.

- Game difficulty is locked to Veteran, with final boss switching to lower difficulty.

HUD/INTERFACE

- Chronometer runs on the top of the screen or wherever. It needs to be visible of course.

SCORING SYSTEM

- Running through a stage avoiding confrontation is not the only option, nor the smartest. Kills matter much like Takedowns in Burnout Paradise's Road Rage.
- Pistol kills -3 secs
- Headshots -5 secs
- A multiplier system is in place, multiplying those extra secs x2, x3, x4 etc based on the time lapsed between kills (kills within 2secs from each other add 1 to the multiplier. X simultaneous kills add X to the multiplier). Missing a "within 2 secs" kill resets the multiplier.

OTHER STUFF

Personally I would love a survival mode. Since the game is taking place on Helghan, it probably makes sense too. You'd expect waves of Helghast soldiers to attack you.

Durandal

Banned
Facism said:
Hyperbole: Used when you haven't got an actual argument thought out and MUST have your opinion read.

Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɝːbəli/ hye-PER-buh-lee; "HYE-per-bowl" is a common mispronunciation) comes from ancient Greek "ὑπερβολή" (meaning excess or exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is rarely meant to be taken literally.

JB1981

Durandal said:
Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɝːbəli/ hye-PER-buh-lee; "HYE-per-bowl" is a common mispronunciation) comes from ancient Greek "ὑπερβολή" (meaning excess or exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is rarely meant to be taken literally.

I like hyper bowl better ;p

-viper- said:
Personally I would love a survival mode. Since the game is taking place on Helghan, it probably makes sense too. You'd expect waves of Helghast soldiers to attack you.

They would probably have to dumb down the A.I. considerably though. I had my position overrun so many times.

Perhaps a survival mode in a dynamic arena style level? Perhaps something like a city sqaure with an exposed petrocite grid . . . emphasis would be on constantly moving, using cover and utilizing the environmental dangers. It would be interesting if they could introduce it as a mp expansion where you can have squads of 4 or less. Everyone would be the soldier class but have the ability to utilize various secondary badges. Even with 4 people playing and a 16 player/bot max, 12 bots would be very difficult competition if they utilize the Elite A.I.

raYne said:
Glitched. The MP unlocks are full of them.

I unlocked 4 different secondary badges to use on Assault before I actually unlocked them or even maxed out the Boost so I could unlock the secondary medal (ie had the abilities, not the medals). Had 5x zoom available as soon as I unlocked the Scout. Had whatever the trophy is called for unlocking all medals when I haven't finished them and have no plans to..

On the statistics side, it's glitched showing I've never placed a spawn point. Even though I've used Tactician for like 30 hours and must drop 5+ per round. It showed I used C4 way before I ever unlocked it (though that may count S & D matches) and since then doesn't count regular Sab C4 usage.

etc etc.

The only reason it doesn't annoy the fuck out of me, is that the abilities/trophy stuff were good things and I don't really care about the stats it affects.

edit:
Oh, and to answer your second question: You have to "unlock" boost first by using it 5 times per round/match. Which is easy enough. Do this 8x for the medal and you can then swap it out with whatever secondary abilities you have access to.

Wow, sounds like you got lucky with the number of beneficial glitches you have encountered. I have had to work for all of my unlocks. Stat tracking does seem a bit off though, but I don't micromanage my stats so I don't pay too much attention.

Boost is unlocked if used 10 times in a game. Assault does not have a primary ability (except for the added armor) so boost is always available right away. If you have unlocked badge combos for other classes then you have access to the boost secondary as soon as you unlock the Assault class. All of the other classes have primary badge objectives that must be completed prior to unlocking the secondary badges. Once you have achieved 8 boost ribbons you can use the assault with any other secondary badge. Though I have yet to see what secondary badge would really benefit the Assault outside of the boost.

I wish the soldier could equip secondary badges. As it stands he is pretty useless yet he is the only class that gets access to the LMGs. There are many instances where the LMG would be useful, but the lack of C4, boost, blood bags or spot&mark makes it difficult to justify using him.

And though the argument is old - GG needs to remove the GL and RLs from games where FF is off.

-viper-

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
They would probably have to dumb down the A.I. considerably though. I had my position overrun so many times.

Perhaps a survival mode in a dynamic arena style level? Perhaps something like a city sqaure with an exposed petrocite grid . . . emphasis would be on constantly moving, using cover and utilizing the environmental dangers. It would be interesting if they could introduce it as a mp expansion where you can have squads of 4 or less. Everyone would be the soldier class but have the ability to utilize various secondary badges. Even with 4 people playing and a 16 player/bot max, 12 bots would be very difficult competition if they utilize the Elite A.I.
Well it works well in Gears, so it could work well in KZ2.

Just have the A.I. set to Easy or Trooper or something, with a few Elite commandos popping up time from time.

A squad of 4 vs waves of Helghast.

raYne

the_prime_mover said:
Wow, sounds like you got lucky with the number of beneficial glitches you have encountered. I have had to work for all of my unlocks. Stat tracking does seem a bit off though, but I don't micromanage my stats so I don't pay too much attention.
Indeed.

I don't have any hard evidence, but it seemed to be linked to whenever PSN decided to go crazy. Whatever game I was in crashed and I'd unlock a thing or two automatically upon booting up Warzone again. The trophy stuff definitely popped up right after the crash though..

If only it'd do something miraculous and glitch me the Air Support medal. :/ :lol

-viper- said:

??

Where did this come from? CoD falls somewhere in the middle. UT99, Q3 and CS are twitch shoters.

KZ2 falls a bit to the other side of CoD4, more towards tactical than twitch. Though, often the large player count games feel exactly like CoD.

CoD is not a twitch shooter. :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
raYne said:
Are you sure he was invisible? If so, what map? 'Cause there are a bunch of them where people can glitch through the environment. While there, they are pretty much "invisible" and untouchable. Check youtube.

Or he could've just been good/lucky. For example, I had a 65-15 game a while back in some ridiculous epiphany moment with the Sab.

I'd be running along by myself, then bam, shotgun to the back, no one near me. I assume he was glitching through the map, if that's a possibility. He definitely wasn't good/lucky - we've all had amazing rounds of luck or whatnot, but I've played this game enough to know when someone is just better than me. I didnt' even see him once the entire match, which is why I thought he was invis. Doesn't really matter much I guess, as long as there is no known exploits out there :)

Stat tracking is definitely glitched, though it seems to correct itself. For example, when I get a ribbon and some experience points, it tells me about it, and the totals are correct on the post-game screen. But then if I go into My Statistics (even in-game), that stuff is usually not there until later.

Also, one time, I got my 8th Revival Specialist ribbon. But after one of the objectives, the game never said, "Your Faction Won," and just went directly to the next game. I was pissed. The next game, I tried to get the ribbon again... but I apparently already had it, because health packs were available!

It's kind of weird, like the stat tracking part of it lags behind reality.

Core407

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
Stat tracking is definitely glitched, though it seems to correct itself. For example, when I get a ribbon and some experience points, it tells me about it, and the totals are correct on the post-game screen. But then if I go into My Statistics (even in-game), that stuff is usually not there until later.

Also, one time, I got my 8th Revival Specialist ribbon. But after one of the objectives, the game never said, "Your Faction Won," and just went directly to the next game. I was pissed. The next game, I tried to get the ribbon again... but I apparently already had it, because health packs were available!

It's kind of weird, like the stat tracking part of it lags behind reality.

There is a delay before stats are recorded. Wouldn't call it a glitch really, though.

Core407 said:
There is a delay before stats are recorded. Wouldn't call it a glitch really, though.

Errr... well, the second thing I listed was definitely a glitch. As far as the lag, if you think glitch is not the right word, that's fine. But it's a "bad thing" of some kind. Not that anyone would care about stuff like your K/D ratio or # headshots being delayed, but your medal/rank progression should always be up-to-date, at least in game.

Rolf NB

RedRedSuit said:
Errr... well, the second thing I listed was definitely a glitch. As far as the lag, if you think glitch is not the right word, that's fine. But it's a "bad thing" of some kind. Not that anyone would care about stuff like your K/D ratio or # headshots being delayed, but your medal/rank progression should always be up-to-date, at least in game.
Stat updates are sent from the game host (the thing that spits out your post-game stats) to the central player db (the thing that spits out your player rank) periodically, but collecting and integrating them takes a little time.
There are hundreds of thousands of players on right now, thousands of games start and finish every minute. Buffering access to the player db is almost a necessity to avoid load problems.

icechai

TTP said:

BASICS

HUD/INTERFACE

SCORING SYSTEM

- Pistol kills -3 secs
- Headshots -5 secs

OTHER STUFF

woah, this! If GG could make this a DLC package, that would be soooo awesome! Nice one thinking this through TTP :p

Top Bottom