• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

KZObsessed

I really hope Guerrilla support this with a ton of DLC. SP expansions as well as online. Extra features etc. But like Burnout, don't forget the free stuff! :D

FFObsessed said:
I really hope Guerrilla support this with a ton of DLC. SP expansions as well as online. Extra features etc. But like Burnout, don't forget the free stuff! :D

A good mix of free and paid dlc would be good. Maybe some new modes or weapons for free like in Warhawk, with some new maps and classes as paid dlc. GG should also make sure that there is a tournament once a month to keep people interested in the online component (though I am having a hard time seeing why people would get bored . . .)

bcn-ron said:
Stat updates are sent from the game host (the thing that spits out your post-game stats) to the central player db (the thing that spits out your player rank) periodically, but collecting and integrating them takes a little time.
There are hundreds of thousands of players on right now, thousands of games start and finish every minute. Buffering access to the player db is almost a necessity to avoid load problems.

The medal and rank information is clearly already known locally by the game, since it displays this data right after the match. Therefore, it should be immediately cached on the local hard drive and available under "my stats." In fact, the game even does save SOMETHING to the hard drive at that point (as evidenced by the flashing save icon), though I have no idea what. The medal and rank info is on the order of hundreds of bytes, for the local player, which is nothing compared to the amount of data being thrown around every second during gameplay.

There is no logical reason for this information to not be immediately updated for the local player, since the game clearly knows about it right after the match but then "forgets" it for a while. Probably, this is because one code path is followed after the match (get data from host and display it), while another is followed under My Stats (get cached data as downloaded from stats server).

---

As for updates, my chief thing is coop. I would replay this on Elite or Vet with a friend in a NY second.

Zen

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
A good mix of free and paid dlc would be good. Maybe some new modes or weapons for free like in Warhawk, with some new maps and classes as paid dlc. GG should also make sure that there is a tournament once a month to keep people interested in the online component (though I am having a hard time seeing why people would get bored . . .)

Well you complete the 'levelling up' phase of the game fairly quickly. For a lot fo people that is what hooks them in CoD, for instance.

icechai

Zen said:
Well you complete the 'levelling up' phase of the game fairly quickly. For a lot fo people that is what hooks them in CoD, for instance.

yeah, the dropoff seems to be that everyone unlocked all the medals in the first 2 weeks, while it took months for the good Warhawk player to get General (although Warhawk is a bit extreme).

They really should replicate something like Socom Combined Assault except with time attack and point based missions.

In the interim they really do need to get the BOTS back into multiplayer.

Always-honest said:
wow.. was in some 32 player games yesterday.. amazing how it keeps running..
i never even noticed a single slowdown

Shit...not here. I get some pretty noticeable slowdown in framerate when the shit hits the fan.

Rolf NB

RedRedSuit said:
The medal and rank information is clearly already known locally by the game, since it displays this data right after the match. Therefore, it should be immediately cached on the local hard drive and available under "my stats." In fact, the game even does save SOMETHING to the hard drive at that point (as evidenced by the flashing save icon), though I have no idea what. The medal and rank info is on the order of hundreds of bytes, for the local player, which is nothing compared to the amount of data being thrown around every second during gameplay.
Your ranking versus all the other players (who played in different games on different hosts) is something the local system does not know, and couldn't accurately display. If you cached the score total locally, you'd have a half-correct result. Maybe that's more desirable than the delayed results. I don't know.

It's a distributed system. The games are hosted by many machines that don't need to talk to each other during matches, but the player database is for all intents and purposes one centralized resource.

For all I know, the player db may as well be updated immediately, but there may be extra front end servers that pull/format/sort/cache the rank lists to lessen the read-only load on the db.

bcn-ron said:
Your ranking versus all the other players (who played in different games on different hosts) is something the local system does not know, and couldn't accurately display.

Certainly. But I just want MY rank score (meaning, how much XP I have and that I'm a Captain) and MY medals/ribbons. My standing among other people is different and is perfectly okay to be delayed somewhat. That doesn't affect how I'll play my next match, so whatever.

If you cached the score total locally, you'd have a half-correct result. Maybe that's more desirable than the delayed results. I don't know.

I think it's much more desirable, personally. Unlocks and Rankings are two different screens, even. If your stuff in Rankings is a little off, you won't care -- that's just a high score board. But if your stuff in Unlocks (where you're trying to figure out which ribbon you should go for next, etc.) is off, that's confusing and weird, IMO.

It's a distributed system. The games are hosted by many machines that don't need to talk to each other during matches, but the player database is for all intents and purposes one centralized resource.

For all I know, the player db may as well be updated immediately, but there may be extra front end servers that pull/format/sort/cache the rank lists to lessen the read-only load on the db.

Yes, and this all certainly applies to other people's data -- which is only relevant in showing your rankings compared to the the world/friends. But your own data is already known by the game and IMO should be displayed immediately correctly, since it's even on its own screen.

.GqueB.

Banned
Zen said:
Exactly. You get everything way too fast in this game. It took me a good two months to even get to level 36 in COD4 (because I suck) but in KZ2, even while being about 5th or 6th on the team consistently and only winning about half my games I was still able to unlock everything pretty fast.

GG put together a good package here but they dropped the ball in those few crucial aspects that are probably gonna lose them some players. Though I doubt its gonna be enough to render the online space "dead".

.GqueB. said:
Exactly. You get everything way too fast in this game. It took me a good two months to even get to level 36 in COD4 (because I suck) but in KZ2, even while being about 5th or 6th on the team consistently and only winning about half my games I was still able to unlock everything pretty fast.

GG put together a good package here but they dropped the ball in those few crucial aspects that are probably gonna lose them some players. Though I doubt its gonna be enough to render the online space "dead".

Nah its fine the way it is. All they have to do is introduce some tournament challenges by region (by state, east, west, etc) and they are all set. Later introduce some DLC.

Its not necessary to force people to grind incessantly to have fun online.

.GqueB. said:

With the ability to search for actual servers rather than using a matchmaking system, how low a player count can we go before something is considered "dead"? Warhawk didn't/doesn't have a massive player base but it never feels empty, though it can be difficult to find a good game at certain times of day (within an acceptable ping range). However, it was impossible to find a full (ranked) game in R:FoM after 1.5 years (yes, yes, that is after 1.5 years). Warhawk doesn't even add real additional benefit when ranking up and it is very difficult for people to rank up in that game. I think that the ranking system for KZ2 is functional in that it helps ease people into the game at a consistent pace while maintaining a balance across all classes (and, subsequently, all ranks).

So, I don't know that more ranks are needed for KZ2, but some post game spoils would probably be ideal and is likely what many people are looking for. Something that gives players that sense of accomplishment after the match. It is stupid to see the rank bar after every match when all it says is that we have ranked up to the highest level. Ribbons have value outside of just collecting 8 of a kind. Seeing the post game ribbon rundown in R:FoM was always great and GG should introduce that.

Kittonwy

Banned
.GqueB. said:

The thing about Killzone 2 is that the game really opens up when you have all the classes and abilities unlocked.
angry.gif

raYne

commish said:
I'd be running along by myself, then bam, shotgun to the back, no one near me. I assume he was glitching through the map, if that's a possibility. He definitely wasn't good/lucky - we've all had amazing rounds of luck or whatnot, but I've played this game enough to know when someone is just better than me. I didnt' even see him once the entire match, which is why I thought he was invis. Doesn't really matter much I guess, as long as there is no known exploits out there :)
I was about to say he could've been a scout who repeatedly picked up a shotgun.. but eh, whatever. Wouldn't be surprised if he was environment glitching.

As for the bolded, youtube takes care of that quite nicely.. :lol

Kittonwy said:
The thing about Killzone 2 is that the game really opens up when you have all the classes and abilities unlocked.
angry.gif

Yeah and thats when it really gets fun. In one match I will switch to almost every class at least once. Protection / Medic - Assasination / Sab + Boost - Capture and Hold / Assault + Shotgun / Sab / Engineer and so on.

raYne

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah and thats when it really gets fun. In one match I will switch to almost every class at least once. Protection / Medic - Assasination / Sab + Boost - Capture and Hold / Assault + Shotgun / Sab / Engineer and so on.
And this is different than any other MP game with classes... how?

Just using CoD as an example, I'll rotate between 3-4 classes during any old game. Depending on map and gametype. Start out with my usual soldier (assault rifle + stopping power + bandolier). Swap out to my heavy gunner (LMG + stopping power + deep impact) to take out called in choppers. Swap out to my spec-ops build (silenced SMG + dead silence + UAV Jammer) to sneak around and take out the enemy instead of fighting on the front lines. Swap out to sniper (sniper + claymore + whatever) when needed etc.

Zen

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Nah its fine the way it is. All they have to do is introduce some tournament challenges by region (by state, east, west, etc) and they are all set. Later introduce some DLC.

Its not necessary to force people to grind incessantly to have fun online.

For a lot of people getting XP for their efforts and 'levelling up' only adds to the fun, though.

IJoel

I just completed the single player game a while ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. The last mission was really amazing, and the graphics were outstanding.

What the heck Rico? Geez!

raYne

bcn-ron said:
Why would it have to be?

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif
^That's why I asked. Like it's exclusive to KZ2 when it's the same in any other class based MP game. Hell, any game where you unlock stuff.

this will properly be an unpopular opinion here but
i kinda wish there was an option to have class-less kz2 matches.
in the first 3 days prior to official release it was great. no air supports, spies, etc.
far too hectic now esp with 32 players on small maps. game isnt designed properly for it.

Danielsan

Finally beat that bloody campaign. I guess I made a mistake starting of on Veteran. Most of the game was easy enough but visari square and the Radic's enemy waves were absolute hell. That said, I really liked the end part of the game. The visual effects went through the roof. Truly mind blowing.

raYne

DevelopmentArrested said:
in the first 3 days prior to official release it was great. no air supports, spies, etc.
far too hectic now esp with 32 players on small maps. game isnt designed properly for it.
Well, there's nothing stopping you from making a room and locking out everything but the default soldier (or whatever doesn't fit your idea). I've seen a bunch of similar rooms in the past.

Zen

Banned

While I don't necessarily find the games too hectic. I did enjoy the 'even playing feild' times as well. I'd like to see a 'no classes' option for the sheer balance of it. No C4, to turrets, no disguises, just everyone with Assault Rifles. It would probably be pretty addictive.

cakefoo

at raYne: I think kittonwy was saying that the relatively fast pace at which you rank up in Killzone is ok because he finds that once you've reached the top rank you don't lose steam like you do in other games because the actual use of the classes and abilities is very rewarding, whereas in some games you feel motivated to reach that reward, but once you do, you don't even like using it.

rexor0717

Well, play smaller games. I haven't player a 18+ game since the first week.
They can force 32 players, but it really works well with 16 or less.

raYne

cakefoo said:
at raYne: I think kittonwy was saying that the relatively fast pace at which you rank up in Killzone is ok because he finds that once you've reached the top rank you don't lose steam like you do in other games because the actual use of the classes and abilities is very rewarding, whereas in some games you feel motivated to reach that reward, but once you do, you don't even like using it.
Eh, dunno about that. I'd say it's up to the individual whether or not one loses steam after you unlock everything.

The argument's been brought up here before that because you unlock everything so quickly, you lose motivation to play quicker than you do vs other games with a longer "max out" period. Particularly when the max out period of this is like 2-3 days versus weeks or more in something like CoD. And looking at the GAF clans... yeah.

That may be his opinion, but it's no hard and fast rule and it certainly isn't exclusive to KZ.

In the end, I would hope the game is fun enough to play on it's own merits that no rewards are needed. Sure it's nifty to have, but I would hope the game is inherently fun without them. Prestige 10 then quit players in COD always bugged me. I dunno I played Quake, TF, Doom, CS etc. etc. before all this rank up stuff came along, just strikes me as an odd mentality. But to each their own.

Zen

Banned
TTP said:
I would have loved to go through the game trying to get fast times, but I eventually abandoned the idea due to various factors, like:

- No reward whatsoever (side note: levels completion times are the only campaign statistics not mentioned in the uploaded stats on killzone.com)
- Lack of clarity. Do cut scene count? Do manually restarting at checkpoint resets time to the one elapsed up until that checkpoint? Am I actually doing better than in my previous speed run?

Which brings me to considering how awesome a proper Time Attack mode would have been. Let me elaborate.

BASICS

- In Time Attack mode, each level is a stage. When a stage ends, game stops offering the option to proceed to the next one or retry the previous one.

- Each stage starts with a "3... 2... 1... GO!" overlapping the last 3 seconds of the cutscene introducing that stage. Actually, a "3... 2... 1... Time to Die!" would be more appropriate and awesome.

- Each stage has Bronze, Silver and Gold times.

- Game difficulty is locked to Veteran, with final boss switching to lower difficulty.

HUD/INTERFACE

- Chronometer runs on the top of the screen or wherever. It needs to be visible of course.
- Best times (personal and online) are displayed as well.

SCORING SYSTEM

- Running through a stage avoiding confrontation is not the only option, nor the smartest. Kills matter much like Takedowns in Burnout Paradise's Road Rage.
- Melee/knife kills detract -1 second
- Main weapon/Grenade/Explosions -2 seconds
- Pistol kills -3 secs
- Headshots -5 secs
- Each kill you score "chirps" as in MP.
- A multiplier system is in place, multiplying those extra secs x2, x3, x4 etc based on the time lapsed between kills (kills within 2secs from each other add 1 to the multiplier. X simultaneous kills add X to the multiplier). Missing a "within 2 secs" kill resets the multiplier.

OTHER STUFF

- New trophies, leaderboards and ghost downloads.

Someone has played that Sega shooting game. :p

So I'm finally plowing through the Story mode... up to the final boss fight...

God, and I thought Sheva's AI was incompetent. Obviously, this isn't a co-op game, but I'd think the point of me having someone by my side was so that he would help at least a little bit. But Rico? Nah. He's just going to take cover for 90% of the fight, and that other 10% is him taking shots and needing me to resuscitate him.

It's amazing - they put in all this work on enemy AI and they leave friendly AI dumb as shit.

raYne said:
And this is different than any other MP game with classes... how?

Just using CoD as an example, I'll rotate between 3-4 classes during any old game. Depending on map and gametype. Start out with my usual soldier (assault rifle + stopping power + bandolier). Swap out to my heavy gunner (LMG + stopping power + deep impact) to take out called in choppers. Swap out to my spec-ops build (silenced SMG + dead silence + UAV Jammer) to sneak around and take out the enemy instead of fighting on the front lines. Swap out to sniper (sniper + claymore + whatever) when needed etc.

Wasn't saying it was different just that I really like how its implemented in KZ2. I would also argue that the differences between the classes and the abilities they have are nothing like COD.

Top Bottom