• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

ChryZ

dk_ said:
I meant points. I have 3k atm....
Go to killzone.com, login with your psn account, go to mykillzone, go to the leader board and check your weekly ranking position. Let's say there are 600.000 users, 1% is 6000 ... make sure to be in the top 6000 of the weekly ranking.

Kittonwy

Banned
KGKK said:
man getting some medals is going to take long...

Take ur time, enjoy teh game, medalz will come in time.
KlintIndifference.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
Iain Howe said:
This guy MST3K's the article to hell. He abuses the original 'cgi artist' so badly that the authorities had to be called and soothing balm administered.

http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/2...arkness-lead-producer-responds-to-killzone-2/

Thank you, Nick Schreiber.

In essence I believe the problem is that some prima donna who is a junior artist at a CGI company, probably working on marketing materials for dull products, is a friend of the guy who posted the article. Clearly the guy has a bad case of Nerd Rage and thinks he knows how graphics work. He's probably very inexperienced even in his own field, and hasn't worked out that we can't take a couple of hours to render every frame of the game. I'm going to hazard a guess that, whilst waiting for renders, he dreams that he has a job in the games industry.

From somewhere he clearly learned enough technical terms and long words to confuse the website that posted his flux of the mouth into thinking he knew what he was talking about. Then again he DOES refer to Light Mapping as 'Shadow Cheating' and thinks that normal mapping is a horrifically amateur shortcut so, maybe serious amounts of industrial grade narcotics were involved...
No matter what system a game comes out on we need to remember to give due credit to all the developers that work very hard on these games and constantly investing in new and better techniques to advance gaming.

The most important quote in that entire article. Great interview though. I didnt know what the hell he was talking about half the time but it was still pretty informative.

KZObsessed

BruceLeeRoy said:
Holy shit bro. Thats incredible.

The next game tho... my god. We had double the number of players they had on Pyrrhus Rise and we went 3-1 down... I had quite possibly the dumbest human beings of all time on my team. Everyone of course wanted to play sniper so we lost the the S&D as it was just me versus 5 other guys, we had a sniper constantly sniping our own guys. A tactician who would put spawn points no where near the objectives seemingly at random. urgh. Whoever fathered these human beings, you genes are a disgrace.

The next game was no better with one guy called [XMPX] EXPLOSATOR who is a FUCKING CHEAT. Had a shotgun with boost and would run around then disappear and re-appear again. No one else in the game was lagging. He'd go behind the ISA S&D target (in between the wall and the objective) and shotgun anyone who came past. Only way you could get the asshole was with a grenade.

Nice contrast of the good and bad of KZ2 I guess :p

KZObsessed

Always-honest said:
how?........................................ please.. tell me...

Was on Radec Academy which is a points fest. :p But the S&D and Bodycount games lasted for 10 minutes instead of 5 so it was easy to get points. Plus with only 16 players the kill limit doesn't get reached so quickly in BC so that round lasts almost the whole 10 minutes. I also have the capture and hold medal so I get 3 points for every defensive kill. Plus the headshot medal so I get + 1 for every headshot. I think we outnumbered them as well and neither team was too good. I kept getting lucky and coming up behind 3 of them at once. Just luck mostly I think.

FFObsessed said:
Was on Radec Academy which is a points fest. :p But the S&D and Bodycount games lasted for 10 minutes instead of 5 so it was easy to get points. Plus with only 16 players the kill limit doesn't get reached so quickly in BC so that round lasts almost the whole 10 minutes. I also have the capture and hold medal so I get 3 points for every defensive kill. Plus the headshot medal so I get + 1 for every headshot. I think we outnumbered them as well and neither team was too good. I kept getting lucky and coming up behind 3 of them at once. Just luck mostly I think.
wow... must try and get those medals.. i just turned general

Firewire

Banned
EschatonDX said:
For people who know a little bit about the tech behind Killzone, here's something for you to laugh at. Ignore if old.

http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/09/killzone-2-smoke-and-mirrors-from-a-cgi-artist/

I tried reading it but stopped in the first paragraph when I read this
Wrong! KillZone 2 is the most misleading game blessed with a hype machine that proves PS3 owners are truly desperate for a game they can call their ‘Halo’ or ‘Gears’. The sad thing about desperation is it can hide the truth and it’s victims will never know but alas i am here to expose the truth once and for all.

This supposed industry insider clearly has an agenda. :lol

KGKK

Banned
FFObsessed said:
ok just got 324 points in a game, 3X as many as the next guy. 16 players, no rockets = perfect.
WTF?!?! How is that possible, and only on a. 16 player game?I bow to you.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
The next game tho... my god. We had double the number of players they had on Pyrrhus Rise and we went 3-1 down... I had quite possibly the dumbest human beings of all time on my team. Everyone of course wanted to play sniper so we lost the the S&D as it was just me versus 5 other guys, we had a sniper constantly sniping our own guys. A tactician who would put spawn points no where near the objectives seemingly at random. urgh. Whoever fathered these human beings, you genes are a disgrace.

The next game was no better with one guy called [XMPX] EXPLOSATOR who is a FUCKING CHEAT. Had a shotgun with boost and would run around then disappear and re-appear again. No one else in the game was lagging. He'd go behind the ISA S&D target (in between the wall and the objective) and shotgun anyone who came past. Only way you could get the asshole was with a grenade.

Nice contrast of the good and bad of KZ2 I guess :p

Not a lot of people like to play tactician I found, a lot of engineers, sabs and snipers, some medics, I wish more people play tactician though.
Indifferent2.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kittonwy said:
Not a lot of people like to play tactician I found, a lot of engineers, sabs and snipers, some medics, I wish more people play tactician though.
Indifferent2.gif

I play tactician exclusively. Unless my team sucks. In this case I place spawn point, switch to needed class other idiots don't use, do what needs to be done, switch to tactician again to place a new spawn point before the previous one expires, switch back to needed class and do what needs to be done... etc.

I'm really a one man team.

KZObsessed

belvedere said:
So how many of those kills were with a sniper rifle?

:D

Saboteur with boost is my small map combo. :p

Picked up the shotgun whenever I could and awaay wee goo!

I wish it recorded your highest scoring match on the stats page.

Tho I guess you could jut do a 30 minutes a round game is something stupid like that. :lol

TTP said:
I play tactician exclusively. Unless my team sucks. In this case I place spawn point, switch to needed class other idiots don't use, do what needs to be done, switch to tactician again to place a new spawn point before the previous one expires, switch back to needed class and do what needs to be done... etc.

Yup being a one man team is necessary.
Tact to Engineer is my constant switch up.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:

Having a good tactician makes such a big difference.
angry.gif

careful

TTP said:

Yep, I end up doing the same thing pretty often in public games.
Mostly switch between tact and engineer, or medic for assassination defend.
It gets pretty hectic at points and you wonder what the fuck the rest of your useless team is doing.. lol

Kittonwy

Banned
careful said:
Yep, I end up doing the same thing pretty often in public games.
Mostly switch between tact and engineer, or medic for assassination defend.
It gets pretty hectic at points and you wonder what the fuck the rest of your useless team is doing.. lol

Keep in mind that your team might not know you and how you play, it takes time getting used to the people and their play style, my advice is always play with the same team because Killzone 2 is such a team-oriented game.

careful

Kittonwy said:
Keep in mind that your team might not know you and how you play, it takes time getting used to the people and their play style, my advice is always play with the same team because Killzone 2 is such a team-oriented game.
Oh, I agree 100%. Playing with people you know is infinitely more fun and rewarding than playing with strangers. It's just that there are times when no one is online and you don't have a choice but to play with randoms. ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
careful said:
Oh, I agree 100%. Playing with people you know is infinitely more fun and rewarding than playing with strangers. It's just that there are times when no one is online and you don't have a choice but to play with randoms. ;)

What time do you usually play at? U in yurope?
Indifferent2.gif

Firewire

Banned
In one game last night I got royally screwed. I was playing as Helghast and came across 3 ISA guys at a choke point. All three where facing away from me and shooting away at someone, so I decided to cook a good old grenade and throw it at them. I get the grenade right in the center of the three and it explodes just before it hits the ground. As I was about to celebrate my glorious 3 kills with a big Kittonwy type roar I realized that all 3 where still alive and where turning to shoot me right between my glowing red eyes.

Anyways I died and received no kills. :lol

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

They should give you +2 everytime 5 people spawn through your spawn grenade or something because the air drone is pretty useless.

Firewire said:
In one game last night I got royally screwed. I was playing as Helghast and came across 3 ISA guys at a choke point. All three where facing away from me and shooting away at someone, so I decided to cook a good old grenade and throw it at them. I get the grenade right in the center of the three and it explodes just before it hits the ground. As I was about to celebrate my glorious 3 kills with a big Kittonwy type roar I realized that all 3 where still alive and where turning to shoot me right between my glowing red eyes.

:lol That's terrible and awesome.

Kittonwy

Banned
Firewire said:

Ur grenade wuz a dud. >:p

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
They should give you +2 everytime 5 people spawn through your spawn grenade or something because the air drone is pretty useless.

The air drone can get the occasional kill, but the requirement for the ribbon is pretty high. >:|

Lince

Banned
I hope boosting is removed from ranked games, I used it yesterday in a clan match with either the shotgun or the saboteur machine gun and was dominating in a pretty sad and unfair manner, thing is with the help of lag you turn into a lame speedhack killing machine. So much for the "tactical" gameplay of KZ2 mp.

careful

FFObsessed said:
That might be too easy to earn points..
I think it should be somehow tied to the points accumulated by players spawning from your grenade (direct points from spawn, without dying). So let's say someone spawns from your point and kills someone in the C&H area, you get a point. Hmm.. still not sure if that's balanced.
It could also be pretty tough to calculate in realtime, so maybe these inderect assist points would only add up when the game is over.

Kittonwy said:
What time do you usually play at? U in yurope?
Indifferent2.gif
I play evenings in eastern timezone. I would gladly join GAFa, but I'm already in a clan with my friends from work (I recruited about 10 ppl there). We haven't played any clan games yet, but to be honest none of us are really good (maybe slightly above average? lol) so we'd probably get destroyed by most clans. :p

thaOwner

Iain Howe said:
This guy MST3K's the article to hell. He abuses the original 'cgi artist' so badly that the authorities had to be called and soothing balm administered.

http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/2...arkness-lead-producer-responds-to-killzone-2/

In essence I believe the problem is that some prima donna who is a junior artist at a CGI company, probably working on marketing materials for dull products, is a friend of the guy who posted the article. Clearly the guy has a bad case of Nerd Rage and thinks he knows how graphics work. He's probably very inexperienced even in his own field, and hasn't worked out that we can't take a couple of hours to render every frame of the game. I'm going to hazard a guess that, whilst waiting for renders, he dreams that he has a job in the games industry.

From somewhere he clearly learned enough technical terms and long words to confuse the website that posted his flux of the mouth into thinking he knew what he was talking about. Then again he DOES refer to Light Mapping as 'Shadow Cheating' and thinks that normal mapping is a horrifically amateur shortcut so, maybe serious amounts of industrial grade narcotics were involved...

:lol :lol

Good post Iain.

pr0cs

hmm, the website is still down. mind you it's been in the toilet the past few days so hopefully it will come back a lot more snappy.

KZObsessed

careful said:
That might be too easy to earn points..
I think it should be somehow tied to the points accumulated by players spawning from your grenade (direct points from spawn, without dying). So let's say someone spawns from your point and kills someone in the C&H area, you get a point. Hmm.. still not sure if that's balanced.
It could also be pretty tough to calculate in realtime, so maybe these inderect assist points would only add up when the game is over.

Maybe it'd work best if it's just for completing objectives. Like getting a +1 assist point if someone who spawns from your spawn grenade plants/defuses the charge and then your team wins the round. Or when someone delivers the propaganda speaker, killing the assassination target etc. But not for just general kills in BC or C&H.

careful

FFObsessed said:
Maybe it'd work best if it's just for completing objectives. Like getting a +1 assist point if someone who spawns from your spawn grenade plants/defuses the charge and then your team wins the round. Or when someone delivers the propaganda speaker, killing the assassination target etc. But not for just general kills in BC or C&H.
Yeah, this sounds more reasonable. Maybe bump up the points to +3 for plant/defuse assist since it's only once per round.
Though personally, I would revamp the whole points awarded for objective games since it's highly unbalanced compared to pure body count.

nib95

Banned
Ian Howe said:

Wow....complete and utter annihilation. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Lince said:
I hope boosting is removed from ranked games, I used it yesterday in a clan match with either the shotgun or the saboteur machine gun and was dominating in a pretty sad and unfair manner, thing is with the help of lag you turn into a lame speedhack killing machine. So much for the "tactical" gameplay of KZ2 mp.

You can win without boost though, I haven't used boost.

Top Bottom