• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

The Chef

Firewire said:
I feel like drug addict who hasn't gotten his fix because I didn't play last night!

I'll be on for sure late tonight, hope some Gafers are on.

Hhahaha dont feel bad. Im the same way. I find my self on killzone.com almost as much as I'm on Gaf.

I'm going to play my heart out tonight.

Guys I have not bought the game yet because I was overseas but I have 2 questions:

Is it too late to start multiplayer since everyone is probably already used to the level design etc? Alot games its really hard to jump in unless you start playing MP at launch.

I only have a warhawk USB Head set does that work well with psn online gaming?

Kittonwy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
Guys I have not bought the game yet because I was overseas but I have 2 questions:

Is it too late to start multiplayer since everyone is probably already used to the level design etc? Alot games its really hard to jump in unless you start playing MP at launch.

It's not too late, you can be very competitive even with the standard assault rifle and basic soldier class if you're good and play smart, it's a lot of fun gaining new classes. It's not about how long you've played the game, it's about how smart you play and how good you are, once you've learned the map you should be ok.

Yes warhawk headset should work with Killzone 2. Killzone 2 is the best online MP game on the PS3 by far, so don't miss out on it.
angry.gif

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kabuki Waq said:

Hey It's only been, what, a month? You can easily get up to speed quickly. Pick up a rocket launcher or a shotgun, run up to someone's chest and fire. Seems to be what 93% of players do anyway.

raYne

Kabuki Waq said:
Thanks dudes. I think I will pick it up in the next couple of days.
More importantly, you can filter games searches to your rank only. So you can play with other new/new-ish people at the start.

andycapps

Kittonwy said:
It's not too late, you can be very competitive even with the standard assault rifle and basic soldier class if you're good and play smart, it's a lot of fun gaining new classes. It's not about how long you've played the game, it's about how smart you play and how good you are, once you've learned the map you should be ok.

Yes warhawk headset should work with Killzone 2. Killzone 2 is the best online MP game on the PS3 by far, so don't miss out on it.
angry.gif

I read all your posts while imagining my cat saying them. :lol

But yeah, I agree. It's pretty easy to jump in and start taking some people out with the standard assault rifles. You probably won't be getting at top of the games like you could in some games because you won't have the skill yet, but you'll get there eventually.

GodofWine

Rapping Granny said:
Allowing people to not Faction Balance is quite possibly the dumbest decision Guerilla made.

Second dumbest, but it caused by the dumbest which is no reliable way to actually play with friends / clan mates...so then peeps turn it off...and then they all pick one side...and then the dumbness flows like wine.

KZObsessed

The dumbest decision was allowing people who just spawned to be invincible and still kill you. It's bad enough having other people use invincible ones as human shields, but now walking past a spawn point is more dangerous than walking past a turret or air drone. Complete bullshit.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
The dumbest decision was allowing people who just spawned to be invincible and still kill you. It's bad enough having other people use invincible ones as human shields, but now walking past a spawn point is more dangerous than walking past a turret or air drone. Complete bullshit.

Counter spawn points with spawn points and turretz.
angry.gif

raYne

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif
And it turns into the clusterfuck that everyone absolutely loves...

As far as "dumb decisions" go, the lack of a proper party system and more in depth server search options are on the top of my list.

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

Invincible people just kill the turret easily. Placing a spawn point behind their spawn point just means they'll be a battle of he who spawns last... wins. People complained about spawn camping in the Beta so they made people spawn from a random place around the grenade rather than in the smoke, great! But don't make them invincible as well. I must get killed like 4-5 times a game from someone who just appears while I'm shooting someone or just after I've killed someone and he takes about 10 shots to the face then kills me. It's really frustrating and it's no fun this way. They must change it.

raYne said:

As far as "dumb decisions" go, the lack of a proper party system and more in depth server search options are on the top of my list.

For me not having a party system is absolutely inexcusable. If they had a party system I think a lot of the problems the game currently suffers from would be alleviated or at the worst manageable.

I am mad i was well over 100 points,with 2 rounds to go i know i got some badges and the game froze...damn the game has freeze on me like 5 times on different instances.

Hey quick question guys.

Me, my brother, cousin, and a friend of ours currently just made a 4 person clan. Do we have to schedule matches with other clans? Do we just all get together and search for a clan game with the same amount of people? I wasn't the leader last time so I don't know how this works.

-viper-

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey quick question guys.

Me, my brother, cousin, and a friend of ours currently just made a 4 person clan. Do we have to schedule matches with other clans? Do we just all get together and search for a clan game with the same amount of people? I wasn't the leader last time so I don't know how this works.
The leader/officer goes to the tournaments page, and subscribes to a game to their liking.

Then you join the clan match at the appropriate time.

-viper- said:
The leader/officer goes to the tournaments page, and subscribes to a game to their liking.

Then you join the clan match at the appropriate time.

Thanks viper. Should I do this on Killzone.com or through the game?

-viper- said:
In game.

Warzone > Clan > Tournaments.

Thanks again man. I assume you can specify you only want to fight other clans with 4 members and such right? Man were going to get pwned. I saw my cousin playing this morning, he was stuck behind a ammo depot he repaired.

Nizz

BruceLeeRoy said:
Thanks again man. I assume you can specify you only want to fight other clans with 4 members and such right? Man were going to get pwned. I saw my cousin playing this morning, he was stuck behind a ammo depot he repaired.
:lol I'm sorry man, but I got a good laugh outta that! :D

Core407

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
And not having a true playlist matchmaking system is really hurting this game for me.

A hardcore hudless mode would be awesome.

There is. Turn off the HUD in the options. Only thing is that you don't get markers for objectives so you're fucked.

fps fanatic said:
:lol I'm sorry man, but I got a good laugh outta that! :D

I was running around and I then I hear over my mic "Hey..um can you get me out of here" I turn around and there he is just stuck in the corner. We did get him out, unfortunately it was from a grenade that the other team lobbed over to him.

VNZ

belvedere said:
If your team has the mental capacity to counter such actions by the other team, this isn't a problem.
I'd like to hear about your strategy for that situation (in an 8vs8 game, or larger). To me it seems like there's just too many enemies to deal with in any other way than putting your own spawn grenades in the hot spot and hope for the best. The alternative is to stand back and try to pick some targets, but that will usually not result in a cleared objective.

-viper-

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Just make sure you choose a 4v4 game and it should be all good.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Invincible people just kill the turret easily. Placing a spawn point behind their spawn point just means they'll be a battle of he who spawns last... wins. People complained about spawn camping in the Beta so they made people spawn from a random place around the grenade rather than in the smoke, great! But don't make them invincible as well. I must get killed like 4-5 times a game from someone who just appears while I'm shooting someone or just after I've killed someone and he takes about 10 shots to the face then kills me. It's really frustrating and it's no fun this way. They must change it.

The problem is that people want to just throw bodies at every encounter, I just don't play like that, but then I really don't have a huge problem with how the game plays, you can change how the spawn invincibility every which way and people will still play like that, if you eliminate invincibility they will spawn camp either in person or with turrets, if you don't, people will just match spawn points with spawn points, it becomes more of a problem of the people you play with than how the game is structured.

Kittonwy

Banned
VNZ said:
I'd like to hear about your strategy for that situation (in an 8vs8 game, or larger). To me it seems like there's just too many enemies to deal with in any other way than putting your own spawn grenades in the hot spot and hope for the best. The alternative is to stand back and try to pick some targets, but that will usually not result in a cleared objective.

Actually you don't just have to dominate the room but the general area and you CAN do that, even in Blood Gracht in the bomb room you can overtake the area via the main canal, the team I played against last night did that and they basically dominated because they knew how to control the area instead of just flood the particular room with bodies, it's all about suppression instead of throwing bodies at the problem. It's not about "standing back and picking off targets", it's about controlling the traffic to an area, the really skilled team can do that and it's very obvious.

Kittonwy

Banned
raYne said:

For every high traffic area there's a way around it to get to the objective, and it has nothing to do with the lack of a proper party system, it's whom you choose to play with, it's so easy to find someone on your friends list or clan list. You can't expect to play with strangers and get that level of quality in terms of teammates.

Boss Man

Man...I just don't get why everyone isn't playing this game. I've been away from it because of an addiction to Demon's Souls and work/school, but I got on today and somehow had a 10% ribbon. I've been playing shooters competitively for years, and I don't understand why everyone isn't head over heels for KZ2 right now.

I guess it's the learning curve? The controls must be a tad bit too difficult for the mainstream.

Dirtbag

StateofMind said:
Man...I just don't get why everyone isn't playing this game. I've been away from it because of an addiction to Demon's Souls and work/school, but I got on today and somehow had a 10% ribbon. I've been playing shooters competitively for years, and I don't understand why everyone isn't head over heels for KZ2 right now.

I guess it's the learning curve? The controls must be a tad bit too difficult for the mainstream.

**whistles**

Not able to get my PS3 online at the moment. Is my XP/rank/whatever going up when I play the skirmish mode? I wanna get to choose some of the other classes.

Facism

alba said:
finally, i'm back yay! time for some killzone :O

Being banned from GAF measn you were banned from KZ2 as well!?

Where have you been :( We've had new officers appointed because yourself, Dunpeal and Wollan don't seem to be playing or organising tournaments or clan games.

Get back into it, we're playing GAFNA this saturday and will be looking to destroy them again >:3

raYne

Kittonwy said:
For every high traffic area there's a way around it to get to the objective, and it has nothing to do with the lack of a proper party system, it's whom you choose to play with, it's so easy to find someone on your friends list or clan list. You can't expect to play with strangers and get that level of quality in terms of teammates.
Did you just somehow confuse wanting a party system with spawn point clusterfucking? Huh?

The reason a party system is needed isn't because it's hard to find your friends/clan, it's because it's impossible to move said friends to another room without some other communication means.

Lets say you join a friend and the room is terrible. Teams aren't balanced, settings are bad, just don't want to play with those people.. whatever. If you had a party system, you just load up in a lobby and when the party room is full with your friends, you just move everyone to the new game. Simple as that.

Since you don't, you have to send one person to find a good room (which he can't determine until he gets all the way into one since there's no server descriptions or good search parameters) and then he has to send messages to everyone and hope they join before the spaces full up. That or do the AIM route that we've been doing since launch.

I hate to play the Live/PC gaming card, but anyone who has spent any time on either would find not having a party system ass-backwards. It's unacceptable. Not only for a "big" game, but for any game that launches in this day and age.

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
The problem is that people want to just throw bodies at every encounter, I just don't play like that, but then I really don't have a huge problem with how the game plays, you can change how the spawn invincibility every which way and people will still play like that, if you eliminate invincibility they will spawn camp either in person or with turrets, if you don't, people will just match spawn points with spawn points, it becomes more of a problem of the people you play with than how the game is structured.

Throwing bodies at an encounter is exactly what the current situation with spawn points encourages. Because you have a couple of seconds of invulnerability people just spawn in a hectic area and rush at the nearest enemy and they'll kill them. In the Beta you wouldn't spawn at the hectic areas because you would die instantly. They've made it so you now spawn at a random place around the spawn grenade rather than just in the middle of the smoke so camping is harder, and hey if people want to camp and try and take someone out when they spawn, go for it, that's one less person on the team who can help carry out the objective.

It's what's turning certain rounds into never ending cluster fucks, in the Beta if you spawned through a spawn grenade and you kept dying you'd stop and try a different spawn and a new approach, now people just constantly spawn wherever the hell it's placed constantly until the round is finished because you're invulnerable when you do so it doesn't matter about strategy, you can spawn and get an easy kill before you die everytime. It especially makes S&D a lot worse. It puts less emphasis on intelligent placing of spawn points and thinking about which route/approach to take for that specific objective, which the maps are so well designed for. Now it's just constantly spawn and kill until hopefully you win the S&D round.

You're right it does depend on the class of people you're playing with, but Guerrilla need to make sure it's the best experience for the majority of people out there, and the majority will just be jumping into random games with people, so they need to do something about it. Either remove the invulnerability completely, or compromise and just make it so they can't damage and kill enemies while they're invulnerable. That's what I've been saying from the start and it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Quick patch and no worries. It's pretty much the only complaint gameplay wise I have off the top of my head.

StateofMind said:

I was initially playing about 3hrs a night, but have scaled that back to about 1hr over the past week. I have been pretty busy with a new work schedule, but even outside of that the game is just getting under my skin a little atm. It seems that I can never find a server that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 people in it that can take significantly more damage then normal, and with ff-off the assault class is far too annoying for civilized play. Spawn invincibility removes almost all tactical elements from the game, and the lack of faction balancing means that games almost always become horribly unbalanced.

Hopefully GG will release a patch soon that changes some things to create more of a balance. I would love to see spawn invincibility removed from deployable spawns and squad leader spawns. Also retooling the tactician would be a good idea. Perhaps make Air Support super strong against turrets (and give a kill point to air support when it takes out a turret) and give the tactician points for every x# of people that use the spawns. Removing the GL and RL from the Assault class (and giving them the LMGs) in FFoff matches would be great, as would giving riflemen secondary badges in FFon matches. Also, GG needs to bring back bots, but make it so that they can only be set to Elite difficulty if the game is ranked. In doing this perhaps GG could implement some type of party system so that faction balancing would always be turned on. Right now I think these are the issues that are making it hard to stay enthusiastic about the game.

In the long run though we need more maps of larger sizes to make 32player matches viable. R:FoM only had a few maps but a lot of variation, as does Warhawk. KZ2 does not have this benefit so you pretty much have to stick to 16 player games in order to enjoy all of the maps.

I'm a bit disappointed there aren't any SP unlockables. Maybe infinite ammo, boost, MP controls, slow-mo, etc. Any (or all) of these things would be good rewards for beating the game on the harder difficulty levels and offer a little more SP replayability.

FFObsessed said:
Either remove the invulnerability completely, or compromise and just make it so they can't damage and kill enemies while they're invulnerable. That's what I've been saying from the start and it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Quick patch and no worries. It's pretty much the only complaint gameplay wise I have off the top of my head.

My problem with the latter choice is that you are still encouraged to spawn right into the middle of a firefight if only for the positional advantage. Plus, being invincible means that anyone who has their sights on you is penalized because they still can't kill you and have now wasted time that could have been spent killing someone else.

In the beta it was a waste of a spawn to throw it near the S&D objective, but now it is pretty much a requirement. Furthermore with FF off it seems a gameplay requisite is to throw down a spawn at the objective and then just constantly spawn as an assault or grenade spam. Trying to take the ISA bomb room in Radec during the beta was a true test of skill and teamwork . . . now it is just a nightmare that boils down to who has the spawn point active the longest.

raYne

the_prime_mover said:
Perhaps make Air Support super strong against turrets (and give a kill point to air support when it takes out a turret)...
Does that even happen? I don't think I've ever seen it.. Air Support lasts less time vs turrets than they do vs normal people. :lol

the_prime_mover said:
My problem with the latter choice is that you are still encouraged to spawn right into the middle of a firefight if only for the positional advantage. Plus, being invincible means that anyone who has their sights on you is penalized because they still can't kill you and have now wasted time that could have been spent killing someone else.

In the beta it was a waste of a spawn to throw it near the S&D objective, but now it is pretty much a requirement. Furthermore with FF off it seems a gameplay requisite is to throw down a spawn at the objective and then just constantly spawn as an assault or grenade spam. Trying to take the ISA bomb room in Radec during the beta was a true test of skill and teamwork . . . now it is just a nightmare that boils down to who has the spawn point active the longest.
That's S&D to a tee. Dunno how people can not find issue with that.

raYne said:
Does that even happen? I don't think I've ever seen it.. Air Support lasts less time vs turrets than they do vs normal people. :lol

That is my point exactly. Air support as it stands is useless against people and worthless against turrets. Turrets can be set up in groups to be effective against people, but air support has to work alone. So why do turrets also get to be super powerful against air support? Take the rockets away from the turrets and give them to the air support. Air support should also bomb repaired mounted guns and ammo dispensers. In this way Air support would rule in the outside open areas and turrets would rule inside closed areas.

Clone Wars (Spawn Wars)

*** This cannot absolutely cannot be what they had in mind when they designed this game.

I am sure they wanted tight fights around the objective by design... but I doubt they wanted two enemy spawn grenades right next to each other with people simply dying right away after a single kill and chucking a grenade.

That's not intelligent design or tactical gameplay.

TheFatOne

the_prime_mover said:
That is my point exactly. Air support as it stands is useless against people and worthless against turrets. Turrets can be set up in groups to be effective against people, but air support has to work alone. So why do turrets also get to be super powerful against air support? Take the rockets away from the turrets and give them to the air support. Air support should also bomb repaired mounted guns and ammo dispensers. In this way Air support would rule in the outside open areas and turrets would rule inside closed areas.

I agree with this, but at this point I doubt GG will do anything about it.

hteng

Banned
haha so its been 100+ pages about clusterfucks but GG's not doing anything? GG GG, i haven't play the game since 1 week ago (outstation) but i guess i'm not missing much.

Dirtbag

hteng said:
haha so its been 100+ pages about clusterfucks but GG's not doing anything? GG GG, i haven't play the game since 1 week ago (outstation) but i guess i'm not missing much.
Yeah, they actually posted something about not ever patching it to specifically piss you off hteng.

Top Bottom