• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Clinton514

I thought I'd share this with those who follow the KZ storyline. It's just fan work so don't tear it up too harshly. :p

4 Page Killzone fan comic:
Preview
tohellback01-300x169.png

Link

ps. sorry for the silly planet network load pages...free hosting :(

Clinton514 said:
I thought I'd share this with those who follow the KZ storyline. It's just fan work so don't tear it up too harshly. :p

Preview
tohellback01-300x169.png

Link

Didn't like the voicework. I thought the artwork was good though. :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Clinton514 said:

Preview
tohellback01-300x169.png

Link

Beautiful art! Not so hot on the story, but it's a little action comic. I'll say this, if the Halo universe can spawn some fiction, etc. this one sure as hell could. Far more evocative, but probably because it's so pretty and well designed. Too bad Sony didn't have the money left to make that sort of push. I guess the product sort of has to take off on it's own a bit too.

icechai

why do people reject squads? no squads on my team and i was the only tactician in this one game, kept it kinda even then 2 ppl dropped out and we were outnumbered 2:1 :(

Luckily before that had some awesome games with the GAFers, autobalance + FF, we just DESTROYED the other team in one of those games when all of us were on the same team :)

cresto

so tonight i finally got my hands on this game for about 20 minutes and i have to admit it was pretty friggin' sweet. i loved everything about it with the exception that I couldnt turn all that well is close quarters with a gun when there was a helghast right next to me. definitely is still tempting me to buy a PS3. I think i will wait for tuesday to see what the deal is. unfortunately my internet at school is a giant POS and has constant lag spikes so i am not sure how this game would play out with that sort of connection. might be worth it to just hold off until june...i could do it, right??? god help me i must!

Thrakier

Atrus said:
First Section: Hopefully, you brought in the LMG from the previous battle and stocked up on nades.

Crouch and stay still (so you get the smallest reticule) in the rightmost doorway of where you entered, and pick off all incoming Helghast. Use the pillar nearby to recover and occasionally do the same from the leftmost doorway.

Pretty easy until Radec sends the SMG troopers from the far end of the room. Get them while they're as far away as possible.

When Radec calls them in to 'attack from all sides', the SMG troopers will drop from the corners on your side of the room. Start using electricity grenades to take care of them and other troopers nearby. Feel free to explode the flame torches nearby if there's too many.

Radec will then call in flamethrower troopers from the corners. You'll likely be out of LMG ammo or close to at this point, switch to a Helghast rifle in the slight downtime from a nearby rack. Grenade the surrounding area aiming in the direction of the flaming troopers and finish anything off with the rifle.

The moment Radec yells to let loose the chandeliers is just a matter of time till the next checkpoint, and typically when there's only 1 guy left.

Second Section: Easier than it appears to be with some patience. From the checkpoint, grab an AR if you don't have one and break out the knife.

If there's a soldier from the previous part, just run and knife him and then run toward the rightmost entrance to the balcony. Don't go past the middle of the first set of steps, and slash the guy coming down. Make sure you're far enough up the first set of steps to trigger Rico to run up the opposite side. If you don't do that he could be stuck on the main floor and cripple your chance of surviving.

Double back and go toward the leftside stairs (circling around the central statue from your side and not Radecs) and knife the soldier who should already be on the main floor. From here run in a reverse C shaped fashion toward the left corner on Radec's side to kill another trooper dropping down. Running in an arc makes it difficult for Radec to hit you. Then make a beeline toward the right side and slash the trooper who does the same just to the right of Radecs position.

A new wave of soldiers will pop out. Run up the rightside staircase where I told you to slash the trooper coming down and crouch wait in the upper corner of the second floor (the part not blocked). I should note it's technically feasible to knife the entire next wave too, but it'll only screw you over with the SMG guys and takes a fair bit of luck to do. From here you'll be picking off Helghast with the assault rifle as they pass your line of vision and retreating to the closest corner when you're wounded. Your aim is to clear the Radec side of the statue of enemies and then probe toward the main floor whilst hugging the right wall near the bottom of the stairs to block Radecs fire. From that angle you can thin the enemies to your left that are hopefully targeting Rico.

Things to note when recovering:
- Do not leave yourself open to the line of sight of those on the main floor when you're recovering in the 2nd floor corner of the stairs. It's easy to think you're safe when they actually can shoot at an angle through the grills near the staircase.
- If Radec tosses a nade, you can run toward the wallside rubble (hugging the wall) to avoid it. If the grenade lands there instead, there's no problem. Just keep your ears open for grenades.
- If Rico dies, recover him. For the first time, remember to knife the flamethrowers because for some reason, Rico may not kill them.

When there are 2-3 soldiers remaining, go and grab a grenade launcher (fill it to 12 ammo) and your first batch of nades.

Switch to the handgun and go toward the left corner of the balcony, near where you knifed the flamethrower guy. There's an explosive torch nearby so obviously don't stand close to it. By hugging the wall and moving toward Radec or right toward Rico, you will have an angle from which to kill the remaining Helghast with the handgun.

As soon as you hear the doors open for the SMG wave, run up the left side toward the staircase (going around the stairs as opposed to exposing yourself to Radec).

From here you unleash hell. A cooked grenade can land on the SMG guys before they drop down. Then launch a few launcher rounds on the floor where they drop down. Cook a second grenade and toss it at or near the same place as the first to delay or kill another wave before they drop down, shoot some more rounds closer toward the statue and yourself. If you need to recover (and you likely will), stand back to the wall and launch a final nade at the main floor wall next to where an exploding canister is (the one that borders the right side stairs).

Now, you'll have to edge your way down the stairs to attract the SMG guys on the floor toward you and not up the rightside stairs. Use the grenade launcher to mop up the remaining SMG guys while trying for direct hits with the grenade launcher. You essentially are trying to lure them to cluster around the entrance.

Note: If Rico dies, then be aware that there may be guys running toward you from the other side. If your grenade use is effective, there should be almost nobody running around from the other stairs, but just keep an eye out if Rico is dead while trying to secure the left staircase.

When the rocket guys show up, beeline to recharge ammo/grenades, and go back to the same corner. From here the goal is to launch grenade rounds at the right corner on Radecs side. Usually, 3 at a time in a general area will kill them (they hang around under the paintings and between the second floor torches near Radec, while one may be directly in front of the doors to Visari's chamber or near the stairs in front of it. Use cooked nades to take out rocket launchers just behind the barricade that protects you. If you've dealt with the rocketeers from the right corner, you can even hop onto a chair that comprises a part of the barricade to give you a glimpse of where they are.

If your aim is true, you've been alert enough to avoid Radec's nades and made sure nobody is sneaking up from the right side stairwell, you'll get the next checkpoint.

Third Section: Second easiest.

Started with no grenades and 1 round of launcher ammo. Ran all the way to the right staircase while picking up an AR and reviving Rico. Went down the stairs and knifed all 3 troopers before they came up the stairs (due to inherent unpredictability, they may be already rushing Rico but the strategy is no different), and then rushed the launcher guys near Radec with the AR. Once you take out the right corner ones, rush the left corner ones. If Radec shows up, launch a few shots at him to make him teleport. Never go from corner to corner if Radec is in between.

Pick up the rocket launcher and start raining them onto any clusters of remaining soldiers on the floor. If Radec is harassing you, launch one at him. He'll eventually disappear to give you breathing room to handle the rest. If for some reason you still haven't killed them, use the AR and finish them off while taking refuge in corners.

Fourth Section: Radec is the easiest section. Just stay the hell away from Radec because his gun damage is based on range.

Switch to the handgun, jump over the railings to the main floor and start running toward the doors you entered from. Then turn 180 and fire your rounds into a Radec who should be trying to gut you.

When he goes away, go back to the double doors and pick up an AR and then go back out into the open. Staying far away from Radec; use the handgun or AR to pick him off at range while using the central statue to avoid his line of fire. If you should happen to have been on Radec's side while he appears on the side you entered from, exchange the helghast AR with the ISA one from the crashed ISA Intruder.

If Rico dies, revive him so long as Radec is in his shooting mode and not nearby. Try not to get Radec into stabbing mode (ie. shooting him) if Rico is dead.

When Radec is in his stabbing mode, allow him time to spawn behind you (roughly 2 seconds from the sound), 180 turn and burst your AR into him while backpeddling. When Radec is near death, his teleports will be extremely fast so a second lag is sufficient before attempting to turn around. If the teleporting light is as if its next to you, just run away before turning and blasting.

When Radec respawns infront of the double doors where he started from, stand at range close to the doors you entered from and pick him off with an assault rifle while using the central statue to avoid his fire when recovering.

From here it's onto the next room.

Wow, that's great...very nice. Is there a YouTube Video close to your strategy?

wouwie

At Salamun brdige, at some point you need to secure an enemy AA gun. Even on normal difficulty, i don't manage to proceed. Is this one of those "infinite enemy respawn" points where you actually need to do something to progress (encountered such moment earlier in the game). No matter how many enemy soldiers i shoot, they keep coming in large numbers.

Any pointers?

Leam

wouwie said:
At Salamun brdige, at some point you need to secure an enemy AA gun. Even on normal difficulty, i don't manage to proceed. Is this one of those "infinite enemy respawn" points where you actually need to do something to progress (encountered such moment earlier in the game). No matter how many enemy soldiers i shoot, they keep coming in large numbers.

Any pointers?

Just follow the objetive arrow... once you're close enough shoot the AA gunner down and that's it. I dont get why people have so much trouble with this parts of the game. If i recall correctly the first thing your allies say when you arrive there is that the AA gunner must fall... and the arrows are always there to point the way.

wouwie

Leam said:
Just follow the objetive arrow... once you're close enough shoot the AA gunner down and that's it. I dont get why people have so much trouble with this parts of the game. If i recall correctly the first thing your allies say when you arrive there is that the AA gunner must fall... and the arrows are always there to point the way.

Probably because i always start with clearing the area from soldiers. I find the "infinite enemy respawn until something is done" a very strange (and crap) gameplay mechanic, tbh.

Leam

wouwie said:
Probably because i always start with clearing the area from soldiers. I find the "infinite enemy respawn until something is done" a very strange (and crap) gameplay mechanic, tbh.

Just because you're not used to see it in other games i guess. I consider a situation of 2 war fronts fighting each other where the player can just clear the area from soldiers by himself equally strange and crappy. Of course it's not like kz2 does anything really great with the infinite respawn but it's always clear where you have to go or what you have to do, if you pay attention.

Raist

Banned
wouwie said:

There's a bug, it's not supposed to work that way.

Raist

Banned
Leam said:
uh, what?

The infinite respawn in the AA gun section shouldn't happen. Tempy explained it a while ago. They do have infinite respawns, but it's mostly for "esthetic" reasons, to make you believe you're part of a huge war. Once you get close, the infinite spawn turns off. Apparently the trigger in this section is *too* close, that's why you have to suffer it.

IIRC the only true infinite respawn you have to get through by yourself is the entrance of Visari's palace, to force you pushing forward.

wouwie

Raist said:
The infinite respawn in the AA gun section shouldn't happen. Tempy explained it a while ago. They do have infinite respawns, but it's mostly for "esthetic" reasons, to make you believe you're part of a huge war. Once you get close, the infinite spawn turns off. Apparently the trigger in this section is *too* close, that's why you have to suffer it.

IIRC the only true infinite respawn you have to get through by yourself is the entrance of Visari's palace, to force you pushing forward.

Infinite respawn to "make you believe you're part of a huge war" makes sense (i thought it was used to ramp up the difficulty).

Seems i need to get closer to the AA gun then.

Thanks for the answers.

Leam

Raist said:

Oh i see. Yeah i just went and replayed that part and you're right, you have to get awfully close for it to stop, didnt notice it, guess i was lucky the first time. wouwie was right, that part does feel unfair.

Rolf NB

Something I didn't even know I could do until halfway through my elite run is leaning forward over cover. It just so happens that you can, using the standard M82 assault rifle, comfortably snipe the AA gunner from the first piece of cover, right next to the gun rack, if you do this. He always seems kind of out of range/shielded by his gun if I tried to just aim and shoot at him, and I was quite surprised that it becomes so easy once you apply the cover mechanic. Figures though. If you watch the shape of the reticule of the LMGs and other guns, you notice that leaning from cover gives you the same accuracy boost as crouching.

I cleared this section in a minute or so, which was a big improvement over the epic struggle I had on veteran difficulty. FWIW, knowing the "trick" to the initial bridge section (rush forward in between the two piles of wrecked cars to stop the respawning, then immediately fall back, regen your health and leisurely clear the stragglers) cut that down to a couple minutes, at most, too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Raist said:

I'm pretty sure the bridge section has infinite respawn enabled as well. I remember sitting around for a little while before I realised I would have to push the fuck forward. :lol

Didn't see any discussion on this but on KZ.com they have a series called "The Killzone Chronicles" where they show a lot of the early stuff from development. This one is pretty cool because the show some of the early story development (still was the premise on E3 '07) but it was a much darker game than the retail version. Sev and crew were actually mercenaries, and Rico their navy commander...Not to mention there was Gara playing Black Flag's: My War (epic!)...Any there is a pdf of the original premise.

Also there is a ton of early dev videos and concept stuff.

thaOwner

Dubbedinenglish said:
Didn't see any discussion on this but on KZ.com they have a series called "The Killzone Chronicles" where they show a lot of the early stuff from development. This one is pretty cool because the show some of the early story development (still was the premise on E3 '07) but it was a much darker game than the retail version. Sev and crew were actually mercenaries, and Rico their navy commander...Not to mention there was Gara playing Black Flag's: My War (epic!)...Any there is a pdf of the original premise.

Niiiice. Thanks for this.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sorry guys for dropping out last night. We had tornadoes and things and the power went out for a bit. Then no internet until about 1 hour ago.

Thankfully we still had cable so i got to watch Formula 1 last night. Crazy new season.

That said, I noticed something weird while stalking Andycapps as a sabo. I think the pistol reticule does not change to red as quickly on an enemy disguised Sabo as a rifle.

Raist

Banned
Rez said:
I'm pretty sure the bridge section has infinite respawn enabled as well. I remember sitting around for a little while before I realised I would have to push the fuck forward. :lol

Maybe, don't remember if Tempy said there was another one that VP that had a deliberate infinire respawn

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dubbedinenglish said:

Damn, that brings back memories. As you can see Pyrrhus Rise layout is pretty much the same, except with more detail and a different theme. Didn't think they'd still have that video around. The roads were more wide open because you could drive tanks around in MP. That was fun, albeit very buggy.

And yeah, Sev and co were so called Dog Soldiers, and the guys with helmets were Navy. The Navy looked down on the Dog Soldiers who were used to do the really dirty work.

KZObsessed

Dubbedinenglish said:

Holy shit, you guys gotta watch the story board video :lol They actually do the voices and some of the dialogue. It's hilariously aweome.

"That's... the fucking convoy???"

And at the end it says: "Time to die..."

Are these Guerrilla dev's voices? Rico is the same guy who voiced the E3 07 trailer. If that's a GG dev then I thought his voice and delivery were perfect, he should do some voice acting on the side.

andycapps

Some good games yesterday guys. Hopefully you liked my Neogaf FF On server. I think I'm going to take Tharsis off.. I'm not too big of a fan of that map.

And yes, FFObsessed is ridiculous with the SMG. I'm getting a little better at it in getting my headshots, but he's far beyond me. Plus, I play tactician a lot of times in trying to get us some spawn points so we don't have to run across the whole map.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the assault class. That's why I leave it on, I just leave FF on as well. The problem with leaving FF on is even with that in the title, the randoms that join in don't seem to figure it out until they shoot me in the back or throw a grenade in a room I'm in with no enemies in it. Awesome.

Tempy- Play some games with us sometime. I'd really like to see a GAF match versus some GG guys. We'd get owned, but it would be fun nonetheless.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'm suprised by how good I am at this game. Its the first FPS that I consistently place first in in a while. The last one I can distinctly remember is Vietcong... which was YEARS ago.

This game just gets more and more fun as you unlock stuff.

I just wish you didn't have to...

I've played for about 8 hours and I still have four or so more ranks to go through.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ICallItFutile said:
Is there anyway to tell if my Playstation Eye microphone is working? I never see my name come up on screen.

Go to microphone settings and talk. The little bars fill up based on the volume perceived. You also have to set up the microphone setting to use the Eye.

I think its under accessories.

Kittonwy

Banned
Tempy said:
Damn, that brings back memories. As you can see Pyrrhus Rise layout is pretty much the same, except with more detail and a different theme. Didn't think they'd still have that video around. The roads were more wide open because you could drive tanks around in MP. That was fun, albeit very buggy.

And yeah, Sev and co were so called Dog Soldiers, and the guys with helmets were Navy. The Navy looked down on the Dog Soldiers who were used to do the really dirty work.

I guess that explains the first real-time video when Sev and team were called mercenaries, I guess they were supposed to be a bunch of ben doverz.
angry.gif

Damnit. Guerrilla needs to make it so you keep your stats if you get dced or quit. I was playing a great game last night, survived assassination, got a search and retrieve point, got 10 sniper kill, got 5 sniper kills while cloaked.

And I didn't get shit cause I dced!

Wat

andycapps said:
Some good games yesterday guys. Hopefully you liked my Neogaf FF On server. I think I'm going to take Tharsis off.. I'm not too big of a fan of that map.

And yes, FFObsessed is ridiculous with the SMG. I'm getting a little better at it in getting my headshots, but he's far beyond me. Plus, I play tactician a lot of times in trying to get us some spawn points so we don't have to run across the whole map.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the assault class. That's why I leave it on, I just leave FF on as well. The problem with leaving FF on is even with that in the title, the randoms that join in don't seem to figure it out until they shoot me in the back or throw a grenade in a room I'm in with no enemies in it. Awesome.

Outside of my personal lag problems I enjoyed the server. I think FF on, assault and faction balancing is the way the game is meant to be played as the balance is pretty much perfect. Tharsis is too small for 16 player games and it gives an overpowering advantage to the engineer due to the low walkways and short straights.

Now that we have amalgamated the GAFA clan, you could just password protect the server and put the details in the online gaming section. Assuming that no one then posts said details in this section we could have GAF member only matches. I find playing against people from Gaf (notebly GAFe) really gives me a fresh perspective on the game as everyone seems willing to do what is necessary for the team and objectives.

Kittonwy said:
I guess that explains the first real-time video when Sev and team were called mercenaries, I guess they were supposed to be a bunch of ben doverz.
angry.gif
Watch the storyboard video, when the second intruder flys in Natko says, "Here comes the Navy, bend over.":lol

raYne

Akkardo said:
At what rank can i start choosing badges?
It doesn't show it here, it just explains their functions.
:D
Choose? You mean swap out badges?

Your rank doesn't matter, you just have to max out the secondary ribbons for the class you want to insert the new badge into. Then you'll have the ability to swap in whatever secondary badges you have available.

Lince

Banned
wouldn't it be nice for mp that you could use the ammo from the ISA rifle in the Helghast rifle? right now is worthless, you run out of ammo and can't find anywhere unless someone repaired a box.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lince said:
wouldn't it be nice for mp that you could use the ammo from the ISA rifle in the Helghast rifle? right now is worthless, you run out of ammo and can't find anywhere unless someone repaired a box.

Sometimes I melee incapacitated teammates for their ammo. :p

But yeah, having competent engineers repairing ammoboxes and machineguns is a requirement.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Wooooooo!!!! GO ME, I am so proud of myself. I am finally at the point where my kill death ratio is positive - mind you just for this week. It's nothing dramatic, it's like 4:3 (kills:deaths) - but this is the first time in a FPS I am actually doing good. And I am usually ranked 1st-3rd in most games I play. I think I need to join a clan now, Im going to leave this faux clan my buddy invited me too and start really looking. Go me.

Akkardo

Neo Member
raYne said:
Choose? You mean swap out badges?

Your rank doesn't matter, you just have to max out the secondary ribbons for the class you want to insert the new badge into. Then you'll have the ability to swap in whatever secondary badges you have available.

My bad ya.
Or how do i know how many more badges do i need?

.GqueB.

Banned
When the hell are you all playing these games. Everytime I get on no ones playing. Or the people I have on my list arent anyway. WHERES THE GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES?

Im getting tired of playing with these random people who STILL dont know how to put down spawn grenades.

Heh... My team was so uncoordinated that I had to go assassinate alone on Salamun.

On pure luck I chucked a grenade for the "long bomb" to successfully assassinate as I was shot down near the defensive circle.

Lince

Banned
mgviperman said:
As of right now, you need to be 2741 or higher for that 1%.

last week this time it was 3400... so more than 60000 players gave up on KZ2 this week, I hope this is not a trend so Guerrilla keeps fixing/improving the awesome multiplayer and releasing DLC.

raYne

Lince said:
last week this time it was 3400... so more than 60000 players gave up on KZ2 this week, I hope this is not a trend so Guerrilla keeps fixing/improving the awesome multiplayer and releasing DLC.
We have pretty much had announcement (whether or not it's needed) from someone here on the weekly numbers since launch.

It's been falling week over week, so it's already a trend.

Nizz

Dubbedinenglish said:

That was some pretty good voice work there! Although I think the "That's....the fucking convoy?" line turned out a little bit better in the end. :lol

Top Bottom