• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
yes I was sarcastic about the party system stuff, adding reserved slots for friends will be enough I guess. Spawn grenades... what do you suggest? I've tried to come with some ideas to improve them but there's always a problem.

I simply suggest to have them defusable with a gunshot like C4. This will naturally force Tacticians to drop spawn points away from objectives, perhaps in well hidden places, hence reducing chaos.

TTP said:
I simply suggest to have them defusable with a gunshot like C4. This will naturally force Tacticians to drop spawn points away from objectives, perhaps in well hidden places, hence reducing chaos.

yes, you should be able to destruct them

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
I simply suggest to have them defusable with a gunshot like C4. This will naturally force Tacticians to drop spawn points away from objectives, hence no chaos.

then to balance things a bit I suggest no smoke should come off the spawn nades (as spectacular as it looks with the wind affecting it and such) they better make them look like regular C4 or the air drones thing.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
I dont think being able to destroy them with a gunshot would work too well. I think they should have a timed defuse like the bombs in search and destroy. Not too long to defuse though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
then to balance things a bit I suggest no smoke should come off the spawn nades (as spectacular as it looks with the wind affecting it and such) they better make them look like regular C4 or the air drones thing.

I wouldn't mind them being as visible as they already are. I do actually want the opposing team to come and attempt to defuse them as that would mean less defenders on the objective. Basically the spawn point will act as a secondary objective. Or a decoy :p.

Besides, having a spawn point defusable and relatively away from the objective will naturally promote cautious play. It takes more time to reach the objective, hence you want to be as productive as possible once you get there. Run and gun tactics will see you walking and sprinting towards the objective most of the time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Azzwanker said:
So update is ONLINE... how is it?

Does what it's supposed to do. Brings back bots but if you use them your game is marked "unranked".

When searching for games now, you have a "RANKED" option to check/uncheck.

You can create unranked games even without bots of course. Like if you want to practice and stuff.

I dunno if unranked games count towards ribbons.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
Would be far too easy to do. Just run up and shoot a spawn point and its gone....that seems too easy to do. I think having it that easy would deter people from doing the mail objectives. Would have alot of people running to the spawn points to destroy them and they'd be under constant attack. I just think having it setup where you have to 'defuse' the spawn grenades would work a little better. Having it where you can just run up and shoot it.......

Wait, do you mean shoot it once or having it take like a full clip or 2 to destroy? If its the later then thats fine :)

XonoX

Just installed the patch and have has three disconnects since.

Now i can't even connect to the Killzone servers.

PSN is still up though.....

tiddles

TTP said:
Does what it's supposed to do. Brings back bots but if you use them your game is marked "unranked".

When searching for games now, you have a "RANKED" option to check/uncheck.

You can create unranked games even without bots of course. Like if you want to practice and stuff.

I dunno if unranked games count towards ribbons.

The aim assist cheat is also fixed (ie. spamming zoom to get a degree of lock-on) - in fact, there is no zoom assist at all now in MP. Previously, when you zoomed near an opponent, your reticule would be moved to be over them - no longer. Still works in SP Campaign, however.

mr_nothin said:
Would be far too easy to do. Just run up and shoot a spawn point and its gone....that seems too easy to do. I think having it that easy would deter people from doing the mail objectives. Would have alot of people running to the spawn points to destroy them and they'd be under constant attack. I just think having it setup where you have to 'defuse' the spawn grenades would work a little better. Having it where you can just run up and shoot it.......

Wait, do you mean shoot it once or having it take like a full clip or 2 to destroy? If its the later then thats fine :)
Yeah one shot to destroy would be too easy. Either disarm or like a turret. I would prefer disarm.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:

Well, moving away from the objective to attempt to defuse a spawn point is enough of a risk in the grand scheme of the mission so I don't see that as a problem. Do you really want to leave the S&D objective to go search for spawn points? Of course the more clever the Tactician, the harder is the spawn point to be found and destroyed.

Defusing a spawn point is not really all that paramount from a defender point of view (it's not like you wont get people coming, and there are still squad leaders around not to mention Tacticians ready to drop a new one) so I see most of the defending team sticking to the objective anyway.

As for your second question, any damage can destroy a spawn point. Be it a pistol bullet or a grenade explosion. A cool thing to add is having a just defused spawn point start to emit smoke intermittently. It doesn't stop working right away (you can still spawn at it) but the smoke goes "pof! pof! pof!" for a couple of secs notifying it's about to die. This way it's easier for a Tactician to notice spawn point has been defused and can ready up another one. Same should happen when a spawn point is about to die naturally.

TTP said:
It doesn't stop working right away (you can still spawn at it) but the smoke goes "pof! pof! pof!" for a couple of secs notifying it's about to die. This way it's easier for a Tactician to notice spawn point has been defused and can ready up another one. Same should happen when a spawn point is about to die naturally.

THAT is a great idea.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
Well, moving away from the objective to attempt to defuse a spawn point is enough of a risk in the grand scheme of the mission so I don't see that as a problem. Do you really want to leave the S&D objective to go search for spawn points?

Defusing a spawn point is not really all that paramount from a defender point of view (it's not like you wont get people coming, and there are still squad leaders around not to mention Tacticians ready to drop a new one) so I see most of the defending team sticking at the objective anyway.

As for your second question, any damage can destroy a spawn point. Be it a pistol bullet or a grenade explosion. A cool thing to add is having a just defused spawn point start to emit smoke intermittently. It doesn't stop working right away (you can still spawn at it) but the smoke goes "pof! pof! pof!" for a couple of secs notifying it's about to die. This way it's easier for a Tactician to notice spawn point has been defused and can ready up another one. Same should happen when a spawn point is about to die naturally.

I think ANY damage to a spawn point is way too easy. You will have people who only hunt down spawn points all day and succeed most of the time. All they have to do it lob a grenade over in that area where the smoke is coming from and bye bye spawn point. It should have it's own HP.

Either that or make the engineer the "anti-tactician" class and give them a special gun/zapper to nullify the spawn point. I actually think that this might be the way to go. Maybe create a new class altogether and name it the special ops class. The class is the anti tactician and their job is to sneak to the spawn points and destroy the spawn points. They're the only 1's who can do it and they can also repair damaged spawn points (HP based spawn points of course) :)

I do like the sound of that "pof pof pof" idea though lol. Gives a nice heads up to the tactician class.

Eccocid

jorma said:
Yes please!

Yes please do it now screw other updatesx100000!!!!!

Seriously its such a hassle to play with friends :(
Adding party system should be top priority imo :(

oh so many :('s in one post i am depressed nao :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:
I think ANY damage to a spawn point is way too easy. You will have people who only hunt down spawn points all day and succeed most of the time. All they have to do it lob a grenade over in that area where the smoke is coming from and bye bye spawn point. It should have it's own HP.

Either that or make the engineer the "anti-tactician" class and give them a special gun/zapper to nullify the spawn point. I actually think that this might be the way to go. Maybe create a new class altogether and name it the special ops class. The class is the anti tactician and their job is to sneak to the spawn points and destroy the spawn points. They're the only 1's who can do it and they can also repair damaged spawn points (HP based spawn points of course) :)

I do like the sound of that "pof pof pof" idea though lol. Gives a nice heads up to the tactician class.

The whole point of having a defusable spawn point is to avoid chaos at objective. Period.

If people go around looking for spawn points rather than defending/attacking the objective is all good to me.

Besides, do you really want to when a) there are good chances to get killed by those very people that spawn there b) it might be for nothing as Tactician is right there ready to toss a new one after he has killed you c) you lose the match cos opposing team got to the objective while you where looking for spawn points.

I don't really see how making it more complicated would make things that much better.

Eccocid

I don't think this game has huge enough maps for spawn point demands...
It doesn't take that long to go form one point to another. And if u play in squads u don't need spawn points that much.(if they remove spawn ability of tactician, more burden will be on the squad leader cuz he will try to stay alive for spawning his members which is a better idea)

If it had huge maps like in Warhawk yeah spawn points would be necessary but right now all they do is creating chaos in small areas where u have objectives. PPl will always put spawn points near bombs in Search&destroy.

Thrakier

I need de ribbonZ. Do bot matches count? That would be awesome! :)

Also I like TTPs idea but I would add that it should need more than ONE shot, maybe the same as with the turrets.

TTP said:
The whole point of having a defusable spawn point is to avoid chaos at objective. Period.

If people go around looking for spawn points rather than defending/attacking the objective is all good to me.

Besides, do you really want to when a) there are good chances to get killed by those very people that spawn there b) it might be for nothing as Tactician is right there ready to toss a new one after he has killed you c) you lose the match cos opposing team got to the objective while you where looking for spawn points.

I don't really see how making it more complicated would make things that much better.

If they put a spawnpoint in the middle of a "capture and hold" or next to a "search and destroy" point you dont have too look very long.

God, i went home for lunch to play a couple of games and after d/l the update it wouldnt let me connect online :( Every time i tried it times out, i hope its back up and running by the time i finish work.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
mr_nothin said:

I like this idea better, no matter how far or hidden the spawn grenade is, one shot to destroy would be too easy, you won't even have to get close to it to destroy it. One shot from sniper rifle across the map and it's gone!

test_account

XP-39C²
Thrakier said:
I need de ribbonZ. Do bot matches count? That would be awesome! :)
I dont think bot matches count. I dont think that you get ribbons or stats while playing in unranked games, and it it is only possible to have bots in unranked games.

I think that bot matches used to count though, but it was removed in the 1.20 patch i think. Anyone who can confirm this?

Lince

Banned
test_account said:
I dont think bot matches count. I dont think that you get ribbons or stats while playing in unranked games, and it it is only possible to have bots in unranked games.

I think that bot matches used to count though, but it was removed in the 1.20 patch i think. Anyone who can confirm this?

confirmed, only ranked games get you ribbons and stats.

Lince

Banned
JardeL said:
Updated to 1.21 and now cant onnect to Warzone , bravissimo GG !!!

well I was able to play a couple of quick ranked matches this morning as well as one unranked match (two random guys and I versus 8 elite bots) but we all got disconnected and I can't login now... maybe they're updating the servers with the new Clan Tournaments fixes and stuff?

edit: killzone.com isn't available either

GodofWine

Man, they need to turn up the footstep volume in this...so tired of climbing metal stairs that I can hear echoing of the walls, and finding a good spot to shoot from, only to have a guy walk up those same stairs, silently, and execute me.

The only way I could chat with one of my old college buddies last night was to shoot him, and crouch next to him and talk for 8 seconds, and vice versa...

fun factor continues to slide for me....

Lince

Banned
GodofWine said:
The only way I could chat with one of my old college buddies last night was to shoot him, and crouch next to him and talk for 8 seconds, and vice versa...

change faction? find another game where you can play together in a squad?

cakefoo

GodofWine said:

fun factor continues to slide for me....
You don't really want what you're asking for.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ilanna said:
I like this idea better, no matter how far or hidden the spawn grenade is, one shot to destroy would be too easy, you won't even have to get close to it to destroy it. One shot from sniper rifle across the map and it's gone!

I agree.

I suggested this before, requiring a spawn to be built and able to be un-built. They need to give that to the engineer along with repair. And also allow repair gun to "un-repair" friendly and enemy gun emplacements and ammo boxes, as well as enemy spawn points. I hate setting up a nice turret array for a certain game type, then it changes and all of them are uselessly placed. I would love deconstructing them and then rebuilding elsewhere without wasting ammo or grenades and giving away my position on the map by firing like crazy.

It would increase the engineer's worth tenfold. As they could plant a turret to defend the spawn point from being un-built by the enemy.

Also, the tactician should get a "overall map display" of some sort to direct battle. Sort of a semi-general role with whole map oversight to help with spawn placements.

I really think the intermittent smoke at the end of life of a spawn is a fantastic idea.

Also, why is there no ribbon/medal that increase the amount of points for grenade kills? There seems to be one for everything else.

We played a couple of games last night where the top 3 got over 600 points. I made over 200 in 6th both times, but I was working on my sabo and melee ribbons. Nothing more satisfying than walking up as a sabo behind an enemy and whacking them in the back of the head.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:

That's a good idea, I like the idea that I can terminate a spawn to set up another one, although normally unless it's search and destroy on radec I tend to put the spawn where the team would have a bit of breathing room between the spawn and any objective.

test_account

XP-39C²
GodofWine said:
Man, they need to turn up the footstep volume in this...so tired of climbing metal stairs that I can hear echoing of the walls, and finding a good spot to shoot from, only to have a guy walk up those same stairs, silently, and execute me.
On which map?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is anyone's music volume way too loud with the custom soundtrack? I already have it at -4 and it's still much louder than the game's sfx. Changing the in-game audio sliders don't seem to affect it.

KZObsessed

So I was thinking about the eventual GAFe versus GAFA match we were planning on having, and I was thinking that we could maybe schedule them on a regular basis when the GAFA clan has settled down and everything is sorted out. We could have them like every weekend whenever is best for everyone. A properly organised GAF game every weekend would be pretty awesome for us all to get together and play properly. Might be a bitch to organise every week but I'm sure me and kittonwy can sort that out.

8 vs 8 would be perfect but we can change weekly depending on how many people know they're gonna turn up. Should be fun! I know GAFe has at least 8 people who would be playing regularly, how many of you GAFA guys would be interested in a game every week?

I'll send you a PM later kittonwy.

alr1ghtstart said:
Is anyone's music volume way too loud with the custom soundtrack? I already have it at -4 and it's still much louder than the game's sfx. Changing the in-game audio sliders don't seem to affect it.

Mine seems opposite, it's actually perfect for my Ambient/Hip hop combination. Killzone 2 multiplayer while listening to Lifestyle Marketing = THE ZONE!

Facism

I'm not sure what GG are saying about their own confidence in their classes and balancing by allowing 32 player matches, where nothing happens apart from turret spam, rocket spam, spawn spam, more spam and spam sandwiches.

I really need a playercount filter.

GodofWine

test_account said:
On which map?

Tharsis Depot mainly, visari as well, but all of them to a degree, a guy shouldn't be able to walk right behind me(on metal grates) without a sound (in surround sound). That irks me.

and regarding my above comment about only being able to talk to a friend last night while we were laying on the ground dying...its simple to say 'switch games / change factions' but having done that dance many times and either a) ending up in a game that only accepts my rank and not theirs or vice versa b) getting in a game and having it fill before they do c) getting in a game and being put on different teams again because there was no way to tell if autobalance was on or not...its honestly frustrating. (I know its not 'just me')

I don't hate the game by any measure, but its not drawing me in anymore, different strokes for different folks I suppose...

Facism said:
I really need a playercount filter.
There is one.

andycapps

FFObsessed said:
So I was thinking about the eventual GAFe versus GAFA match we were planning on having, and I was thinking that we could maybe schedule them on a regular basis when the GAFA clan has settled down and everything is sorted out. We could have them like every weekend whenever is best for everyone. A properly organised GAF game every weekend would be pretty awesome for us all to get together and play properly. Might be a bitch to organise every week but I'm sure me and kittonwy can sort that out.

8 vs 8 would be perfect but we can change weekly depending on how many people know they're gonna turn up. Should be fun! I know GAFe has at least 8 people who would be playing regularly, how many of you GAFA guys would be interested in a game every week?

That works for me, it'd also be nice to have some smaller ones scheduled for every couple days in case people can't make the main one. I'd like to do some clan battles though. *insert kittonwy smile here*

andycapps said:
That works for me, it'd also be nice to have some smaller ones scheduled for every couple days in case people can't make the main one. I'd like to do some clan battles though. *insert kittonwy smile here*

Yeah, I agree with this. I am free every night and weekends and would be happy to test my skills against GAFe.

____

I can't believe this.

I get in another game, get 2 ribbons that I've been trying to get for a while.

Match goes all the way thru, and gets to "mission won!" and we hear confirmation that we did a good job or w/e.

I'm waiting for the "Your Faction Has Won" screen, and it disconnects. :mad:

*Host is no longer available*

Man, oh man...

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:

Sure thing, I'm sure people will be interested, even last night there were a bunch of us on late, we just have to work out the time. >:p

Top Bottom