• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

neorej

ERMYGERD!
.GqueB. said:
I swear I'll never understand complaints about shallow profane dialogue in games like this. I couldnt believe Gametrailers actually mentioned that in their review and then showed a clip of someone saying the F word.

NO SHIT

Even playing online in gears or Halo or whatever youll hear nothing but F bombs and people saying foolishness. We arent on there reciting haikus. Am I REALLY supposed to believe that soldiers on the battlefield in reality are holding their tongue? Puh lease. Id fancy a guess and say videogames are probably a bit tame compared to real life.

Haven't you seen the CNN footage? Soldiers in Iraq that say "owh darnit" are being penalized by their CO's, only "owh snap" and "DIE PARENTCOPULATING SCUM!" are tolerated and even those are borderline.

Kittonwy

Banned
Iain Howe said:
Canada has been everything I hoped it would be. I made the move for personal, not professional reasons (Guerrilla is an awesome company, made even more awesome by its relationship with Sony, and if career was everything in the world, I'd still be there!) and on that front I have absolutely no complaints.

Gah u left weedland for hoserland?
angry.gif

Welcome to my country btw, yes, it's MINE.
Indifferent2.gif

Are you still in touch with the folks at Guerilla? If the opporunity presents itself would you consider doing contract work for them?
Indifferent2.gif

Zeliard

Iain Howe said:
Guerrilla has hired both authors and screenwriters for its games in the past, including for Killzone 2. I'm scratching my head to think of a FPS that wasn't an RPG as well that HASN'T had trite dialog, and coming up blanks... I know Shellshock and Killzone 1 got stick for it, but I don't remember enough Liberation reviews to know if that did too.

I have to admit the current reaction is kind of puzzling and appalling to me, in equal measure. One of the things I especially wanted to do was 'de-cheese' things, and I really expected that criticisms might run more along the lines of the dialog being bland and generic than horribly cheesy. I spent a very large chunk of my life growing up around the military, which is why the dialog is a bit 'rugby club' in its use of profanity.

I think the negative reaction to the dialogue might have something more to do with the voice acting from the team around you rather than the dialogue itself. That was my impression, at least. It wouldn't (or shouldn't) surprise anyone if soldiers use the word "fuck" every nanosecond in real-life wars, but they probably don't sound like they're cursing for the simple glee of doing so (overemphasizing certain words, etc). In Killzone 2, it often sounds forced and unnatural, like a bunch of kids trying to play soldier rather than hardened troops invading a hostile planet. And I think that has more to do with the silly voice acting than the dialogue itself. Wouldn't surprise me if it comes off better in other languages.

Kittonwy

Banned
.GqueB. said:
I swear I'll never understand complaints about shallow profane dialogue in games like this. I couldnt believe Gametrailers actually mentioned that in their review and then showed a clip of someone saying the F word.

NO SHIT

Even playing online in gears or Halo or whatever youll hear nothing but F bombs and people saying foolishness. We arent on there reciting haikus. Am I REALLY supposed to believe that soldiers on the battlefield in reality are holding their tongue? Puh lease. Id fancy a guess and say videogames are probably a bit tame compared to real life.

Ive played through this demo about 20 times and never once heard one of my comrades call one of the Helgasts a "cunt". THAT is unrealistic to me.

Maybe they expect soldiers in the middle of a battle getting shot at to speak like fine english gentlemen.
Indifferent2.gif

Sev: Would u like some tea, Rico?
Rico: Well coitainly, Sev. Thank you very much.
MFC: Wat about me, u bloody wankerz?

Indifferent2.gif

Though they didn't say that in the GT review, I think it's more the macho bravado that people find annoying. I know that's my problem, not the copious swearing.

Kittonwy said:
Maybe they expect soldiers in the middle of a battle getting shot at to speak like fine english gentlemen.
Indifferent2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

It wouldn't work, it would be like this

Rico- We're out of tea, sorry.
MFC: Great googles! Now I feel like a spare prick in a gangbang.
Garza- My fine gentlemen, the toilets are clogged. So much for invading a hotel.
MFC- Next time pucker that asshole.
Rico- Shit
Sev- I do think so as well.
Rico- I heard the convoy has tea.
MFC- That's the fuking convoy!!!!
Sev- Throw a grenade to alert them of our tea depletion
Higg- SCATTAH GRENADE!
Kool-aid man- OH YEAH

I should write dialogue
Indifferent2.gif

Dubbedinenglish said:

Garza- My fine gentlemen, the toilets are clogged. So much for invading a hotel.
Rico- Shit
Higg- SCATTAH GRENADE!
Kool-aid man- OH YEAH

I should write dialogue
Indifferent2.gif

:lol

gray_fox224

fin said:
Jesus @ the OP. Who's got time to read all that?

Played the demo via Europe account. I like it. But not sure if it's day 1, might wait for a used copy. No COOP and the multiplayer may not be up to snuff...

People who are interested, that's who.

Dubbedinenglish said:

Rico- Shit
Higg- SCATTAH GRENADE!
Kool-aid man- OH YEAH

I should write dialogue
Indifferent2.gif
LOL

Very funny. Good stuff. Good material.

Killzig

Personally, I feel all dialog in military type games should resemble the dialog from Generation Kill. I really want Sev to explain to his crew that the reason Helghast are all so pissed off is because of the dire state of their pussy infrastructure.

keyrat

I find the dialogue, what I've heard in the demo, is actually damn funny and adds to the experience much like the dialogue in Resident Evil 1. I guess if you're looking for some serious story you're out of luck; wrong game.

Truant

keyrat said:
I find the dialogue, what I've heard in the demo, is actually damn funny and adds to the experience much like the dialogue in Resident Evil 1. I guess if you're looking for some serious story you're out of luck; wrong game.

Is that such a good thing, though? I mean, looking at RE1 and making fun of it is all good, but that was over ten years ago. At the time, that shit was as serious as games could get. Killzone 2 presents itself as a serious game. Have you even watched the intro movie? It sets the tone for the entire game, and there is no way of getting around it.

I love how Sony fanboys were making fun of Gears of War for being so cheesy, are now saying that story and characters don't really matter in a shooter.

I guess in a way, that's true, as I've been enjoying the game a lot, despite some cringe-inducing moments.

icechai

fin said:
Jesus @ the OP. Who's got time to read all that?

Played the demo via Europe account. I like it. But not sure if it's day 1, might wait for a used copy. No COOP and the multiplayer may not be up to snuff...

goto a friend's house to check out multiplayer if you're really on the fence, there's a reason why the KZ2 clan signups are hundred+ ppl and its not the hype (a good chunk consists of beta testers)

icechai

Truant said:
Is that such a good thing, though? I mean, looking at RE1 and making fun of it is all good, but that was over ten years ago. At the time, that shit was as serious as games could get. Killzone 2 presents itself as a serious game. Have you even watched the intro movie? It sets the tone for the entire game, and there is no way of getting around it.

I love how Sony fanboys were making fun of Gears of War for being so cheesy, are now saying that story and characters don't really matter in a shooter.

I guess in a way, that's true, as I've been enjoying the game a lot, despite some cringe-inducing moments.

as much as people say story might not matter, story and proper exposition is what makes a game from awesome -> classic. KZ2 might be a benchmark for console FPS in gfx, stop and pop, multiplayer classes and environment, but from what people say it seems it falls just short of the FPS hall-of-fame type game that Half-Life is. 2 weeks can't come soon enough :p

Rikyfree

icechai said:
as much as people say story might not matter, story and proper exposition is what makes a game from awesome -> classic. KZ2 might be a benchmark for console FPS in gfx, stop and pop, multiplayer classes and environment, but from what people say it seems it falls just short of the FPS hall-of-fame type game that Half-Life is. 2 weeks can't come soon enough :p
Like Halo or CoD... amirite?....

Any word on when we will start to see any advertising outside of the net? 10 days away from launch and I haven't seen not one commercial. My local gamestores not one poster up, what is going on?

Truant said:
No, like Half-Life 2, System Shock 2, Bioshock, and Riddick.

Yup exactly. Dont know about Riddick though I beat that game twice and I dont remember
at all what the story was.

Hey Truant what do you think of the game so far did you beat it?

cryptic

Truant said:
The halo games don't have much of a story though,they merely tie one action sequence to the next like in a standard b-fare action movie. The books provide exposition through a separate medium from the game which shouldn't come to play in reviewing said game's story. For instance, I could write a terrific story about the ratchet series seeing as a basic universe and theme has been fleshed out, but should that elevate a game with a bare-bones in-game story to this hall of fame level you speak of?

Truant said:

Honestly, how old were you when RE1 was released...that was very corny when it was released, but its part of its B movie feel...

Personally I do think narrative is important...its one of the reasons I prefer uncharted over gears... I have yet to play KZ2, but it is a bit of a pity if the story doesn't match up, as the world design etc looks to be very stylized and slick...

I personally think the narrative in bioshock was reasonably interesting, but actually a little to minimalistic to create much of an impression on me, this is probably somewhat influenced by the weak ending, however...I suppose a different standard of critical analysis is applied depending on the products ambitions...

In regards to KZ2, I haven't really played many of the previous games, and I am certainly not purchasing the product because of a narrative hook

Truant

cryptic said:
The halo games don't have much of a story though,they merely tie one action sequence to the next like in a standard b-fare action movie. The books provide exposition through a separate medium from the game which shouldn't come to play in reviewing said game's story. For instance, I could write a terrific story about the ratchet series seeing as a basic universe and theme has been fleshed out, but should that elevate a game with a bare-bones in-game story to this hall of fame level you speak of?

I think you quoted the wrong guy. I never said anything about Halo.

And BruceLeeRoy, I'm nearly done with it, just one tiny bit left.

I have to say I really like it for what it is. Since the game is so linear, there's not much replay value for me, although some of you will go crazy trying find all the Intel cases and the Helghast Symbols scattered throughout the levels. Will I play it again? Probably not.

nelsonroyale said:
Honestly, how old were you when RE1 was released...that was very corny when it was released, but its part of its B movie feel...

Personally I do think narrative is important...its one of the reasons I prefer uncharted over gears... I have yet to play KZ2, but it is a bit of a pity if the story doesn't match up, as the world design etc looks to be very stylized and slick...

I personally think the narrative in bioshock was reasonably interesting, but actually a little to minimalistic to create much of an impression on me, this is probably somewhat influenced by the weak ending, however...I suppose a different standard of critical analysis is applied depending on the products ambitions...

In regards to KZ2, I haven't really played many of the previous games, and I am certainly not purchasing the product because of a narrative hook

Bioshock was quite good at creating back story with the tapes you picked up. I'd say that those tapes did more to immerse me in the environment then the main story which was only really awesome for that one twist at the midway point. The rest of the time it was executed only decently (and at the end quite poorly).

But the tapes allowed me to get insight into the minds of the main characters in a way which would have been difficult to do in cut scenes, and it made the story more at my discretion while also providing my collection habit with something else to feed on.

It was very clever but something that would be difficult to emulate in a game like KZ2.

cryptic

Truant said:

I have to say I really like it for what it is. Since the game is so linear, there's not much replay value for me, although some of you will go crazy trying find all the Intel cases and the Helghast Symbols scattered throughout the levels. Will I play it again? Probably not.

I thought you were being sarcastic and saying those four games had a bad story.

Truant said:

Very cool thanks man.

FFObsessed said:
Seems more like a teaser building up to a bigger marketing campaign when the game launches... I hope :lol

Yup this is going where I was hoping the marketing campaign was going to be.
It very confident and menacing great way to build up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SappYoda said:
:lol I'm so glad that's just a teaser. Way too short to have any kind of real impact.

Orlics said:
Wait who's trolling?
I think they're referring to Truant, even though he isn't. He's someone that values story very highly and judges it very harshly in all games. He also has the game and has almost finished it so he's definitely in a position to know what he's talking about.

Arnie

Truant said:
I completely agree, Bioshock was the best experience for me this gen due to it's story. The audio tapes created a sound and convincing backstory which made my motives and context real. I felt immersed and present in the games narrative. Take away the story, Bioshock wouldn't have had the same impact on me.

I havn't played killzone however I feel if Gears of War 1 was any indication, that the cheesy dialogue won't affect me. When I play games I look at the experience which in GoW's case became my go to multiplayer experience for the next 2 years. If Killzone can replicate this excitement to continously make me play the game then I will easily be able to overlook it. Had Killzone shipped with a multiplayer which didn't interest me however I would probably be disappointed.

While playing through Singleplayer only games I take all I can out of the game and evaluate it on it's merits. With games that tack on multiplayer components such as FEAR 2(which I am grinding through currently) then it bothers me when I find flaws with the games design which could have been rectified if one part of the shipped product was sacrificed. When a game has many average components it irritates me.

That teaser was awesome, but I think they could have picked more menacing footage given the horror theme they're going with. Very cool marketing direction though, can't wait for other teasers and the full advert.

KZObsessed

Dante said:
God...I can only hope the real ads are better.

I really hope they show footage of the game being shown from the fps perspective.

I still maintain that the E3 07 trailer was by far the best trailer they put out due to this.

Nizz

I hope some of the gaming sites have a Killzone 2 countdown/week to help build excitement for the game. Sort of like how Gametrailers had a countdown to Gears 2. Or how some sites will have front page ads for the game. I'm just not getting a sense of excitement from the media. The game has been getting great reviews but since the game has been finished for a while and most sites have reviewed it almost a month in advance, I'm getting the vibe they're sort of over the game already...

Top Bottom