• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

KZObsessed

Guerrilla you idiots! >_<

You should NEVER have to defend the assassination target after you've just defended the objective in Search & Destroy. All the enemies are right near your base!!!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Fucking hell its a mess online tonight.
I can't find a decent game to play with faction balancing turned on.
Flipping hate that shit, ruins the whole point of the game.

Rant over, going to play Rock Band instead.

jett

D-Member
Okay Guerrilla, enough is enough!

It's been over a month since the game came out and you still haven't unlocked all the sections of the storyline in the official website. :/

Kittonwy

Banned
StateofMind said:
They should do online co-op with players playing as ISA, and with the HGH being played by other online co-op players. They could compete to complete objectives. There could be classes too.

Seriously though, co-op would be really cool. It all seems pretty much in place already too. I bet it'll happen. Don't want to get my hopes up yet though.

In a way the current set up of non-BC objectives are pretty much like that with two sides competing against each other, without having this whole "8 players do this, you have no idea what's going on on the rest of the battle map, here are a bunch of bots you can kill", which I hate, because there's no strategy to it, you're not trying to balance your tactics to achieve the overall goal, you're not making sacrifices in terms of giving up something to gain strategic victory, you don't have to be really clever to outsmart the other team. Frankly I don't get the whole point of "defend this location, here are a bunch of mindless bots rushing at you, just shoot them/blow them up, do this faster/better than the other team".

Kittonwy

Banned
navanman said:
Fucking hell its a mess online tonight.
I can't find a decent game to play with faction balancing turned on.
Flipping hate that shit, ruins the whole point of the game.

Rant over, going to play Rock Band instead.

Play with people you know, even more importantly, play with your friends ON THE SAME SIDE. I find that while I like playing with GAF, I don't necessarily like having some on one side and some on the other side because I can't really get a sense of how everybody play in terms of roles.

dorkimoe

xiked said:
More maps would do just fine :) and party mode!

btw. found randomly an gaf server today, you were in it. had fun shooting you :p

remember the name xiked, once you see it, it will be the last you see :p

i dont see party mode happening, they always say "were working on it"

"Hey guys,I totally agree with you; we should have a friends-party
system. Unfortunately due to reasons I cannot go into here, it isn’t
as easy as ’just implement it!’. We are however investigating what we
can do to resolve this obviously missing functionality.Keep on
fragging!"
http://www.ps3addiction.com/news/32/guerrilla-responds-to-lack-of-party-system/

Kittonwy said:
I find that having human vs human keeps the games alot more dynamic as real players are simply far more clever than bots can ever be and both teams can benefit from that dynamism.

That's very true Kittonwy but there is something to be said for the coop play of humans versus objectives, much like there is something to be said for single player man/kitton versus objectives. Its more about beating the "system" rather than beating the other team.

Plus you can create situations which a real live human team would never bother doing because it would be too much work or because it wouldn't be fun to "role play" as a powerful bad guy who makes some mistakes on purpose.

xiked

Banned
Is it me or have the latest patch for KZ2 messed up the feeling to the game. Before it felt heavy now it feels like cod but not the accuracy. Think GG have done a bad thing changing the controls to much. I have an hard time finding an sensitivity I'm fine whit.The update before the latest one should have been it regarding the controls.... I have almost turn down the sensitivity to max but it does not work well against ppl whit fast movements.
What do you guys feel?
ISA rifle now I cant stand it whit the latest patch, shotgun only for me. The revolver has gotten also harder to hit whit. Thought GG had guts to stand by there belief agout the heavy feel that separates KZ2 against other fps.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
xiked said:
ISA rifle now I cant stand it whit the latest patch, shotgun only for me. The revolver has gotten also harder to hit whit. Thought GG had guts to stand by there belief agout the heavy feel that separates KZ2 against other fps.

apparently you aren't alone, as I am seeing more and more shotgunners. I have no problem with the controls.

FFObsessed said:
Guerrilla you idiots! >_<

You should NEVER have to defend the assassination target after you've just defended the objective in Search & Destroy. All the enemies are right near your base!!!
S&D defend is not near the base on Salamun or HG Industries, and the tunnel in Radec really reduces the effect of spawn camping. This is also why the target team has 30 seconds to move/set up defense before the enemy knows who to kill.

Assassination defend is the mode most usually lost, in my experience (Assassination attack being won most often). In general, holing up doesn't work much. You need a good defense spot to start, but the target has to be prepared to book out of there if he's about to get overwhelmed.

As an aside, what's with the default "5 minutes" for Assassination modes? You only ever need one minute. The other four are totally superfluous. (Custom games can change this, but the default doesn't need the extra time.) I guess it's just so everything looks symmetrical.

icechai

commish said:
apparently you aren't alone, as I am seeing more and more shotgunners. I have no problem with the controls.

its because they can't auto lock in zoom in anymore lol, now its only good for snipers or to damage ppl, but very hard to kill from massive distance with the AR zoomed in

During assassination mode, the clock keeps rolling even if you're outside the target zone though doesn't it? That could be why it's still 5 minutes, to give you time to move back in it.

icechai

UntoldDreams said:
That's very true Kittonwy but there is something to be said for the coop play of humans versus objectives, much like there is something to be said for single player man/kitton versus objectives. Its more about beating the "system" rather than beating the other team.

Plus you can create situations which a real live human team would never bother doing because it would be too much work or because it wouldn't be fun to "role play" as a powerful bad guy who makes some mistakes on purpose.

yeah, i can totally see a good special mission where a human helghast team needs to take out the heavy armors of the ISA. Or playing the carrier level except as the other side... the possibilities are pretty exciting, but you would need a good reward system to keep players playing (more skins as you level up so each class can get maybe 10 different skin/color variations?)

icechai said:
its because they can't auto lock in zoom in anymore lol, now its only good for snipers or to damage ppl, but very hard to kill from massive distance with the AR zoomed in
Actually, from distance the M82 seems just as deadly as always; even with less lock a target at distance won't traverse much of the screen, so putting the reticle on and keeping it is still relatively easy. It's up close, where everybody's juking, that I've found my kills are harder (I did use zoom before even at 10m or so, for the accuracy it provided; I'm weaning myself off now).

mgviperman said:
During assassination mode, the clock keeps rolling even if you're outside the target zone though doesn't it? That could be why it's still 5 minutes, to give you time to move back in it.
Good point! I wonder if there's a viable strategy lurking here somewhere...four minutes of time to hide "off-base" while your team sets up a strong point you can then occupy?

Kittonwy

Banned
icechai said:

I didn't even know about the lock in zoom, I'm still getting great accuracy with it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Liabe Brave said:
Good point! I wonder if there's a viable strategy lurking here somewhere...four minutes of time to hide "off-base" while your team sets up a strong point you can then occupy?

I'm pretty sure the other team can still see where the assassination target is and go kill him.

dwin45 said:
Yeah but you could hide inside your base with bots.
In some maps like Tharsis the spawns are so small that this wouldn't be viable. But some of the maps have points so deep within base convolutions that they're basically off-limits to enemies (especially if you have C4). Perhaps instead of using this first, you could boost to an "out of boundary" rabbit hole if your regular strongpoint gets overrun, giving your teammates time to respawn and recover.

Or maybe there's no lesson or strategy here. I just thought of it since the time allowance by Guerrilla seems so large: four times the length out-of-zone as in-zone, like they expect you to zip in and out of the green zone, rather than hide in it.

I think I honestly would have enjoyed the game more had there been no friendly fire off option. It seemed like most games in the beta were played with friendly fire on, which then made for some more thoughtful, tactical play.

raYne

Jesus Christ, I'm tired of asshats getting into spawn point wars whenever it becomes a Bodycount match. Especially on Radec Academy.

The team being attacked will seemingly never bother to even try to get out of it. And if I happen to be on that side, NO ONE will bother using a Tactician. So, of course, I switch over to it sneak through the tunnels and lay two exit points so we can flank 'em. Guess what? A total of two people on the team will ever bother to use them (myself included).

It's not S&D people. You can give up the area...

edit:
AltogetherAndrews said:
I think I honestly would have enjoyed the game more had there been no friendly fire off option. It seemed like most games in the beta were played with friendly fire on, which then made for some more thoughtful, tactical play.
They let you back in? :eek:

TEH-CJ

Banned
Man the sound in this game is off. I can put my finger on it. for one the isa rifle is too quiet. when your in a hall or constrained room the echo effects are really off. It never used to be like that. the helghast rifle sound good, the smg sound awesome, but all the other guns sound digital, especially the pistol. Is this a problem with my sound system or is it a glitch?. To be honest most ps3 games have a similar problem. Resistance 2 also suffered from it big time.

Come to think of it, the only games that had really good audio on ps3 is Uncharted with big speaker option enabled, mgs4 and farcry 2.

KZObsessed

Liabe Brave said:
S&D defend is not near the base on Salamun or HG Industries, and the tunnel in Radec really reduces the effect of spawn camping. This is also why the target team has 30 seconds to move/set up defense before the enemy knows who to kill.

Assassination defend is the mode most usually lost, in my experience (Assassination attack being won most often). In general, holing up doesn't work much. You need a good defense spot to start, but the target has to be prepared to book out of there if he's about to get overwhelmed.

As an aside, what's with the default "5 minutes" for Assassination modes? You only ever need one minute. The other four are totally superfluous. (Custom games can change this, but the default doesn't need the extra time.) I guess it's just so everything looks symmetrical.

The S&D is right near the base on Saluman. If the enemy overwhelms you at the S&D defense objective and then you have to defend the assassination target their whole force has pinned you in towards your base and the area around it. 30 seconds doesn't really help to defend when they're already there shooting at you and the assassination target can be selected right there next to an enemy and then instantly dies. If two assassination targets die before the 30 seconds is up, which can happen during the after fuck of S&D, you can lose 2 rounds in one go, which happened today so we lost the game.

And for the maps where the S&D is away from the base the fact that during S&D both teams will wholly be right near each other anyway, to get the target away from that mess, and set up defense while the enemy is chasing you all the way towards your base because they know they have to assassinate a target makes it much harder than usual. You should never have to defend a target after defending S&D.

Kittonwy

Banned
GB rawr.
angry.gif

FFObsessed said:
If two assassination targets die before the 30 seconds is up, which can happen during the after fuck of S&D, you can lose 2 rounds in one go, which happened today so we lost the game.
Are you sure about this? I could've sworn I've seen the target change more than once on my team without an auto-lose.

FFObsessed said:
And for the maps where the S&D is away from the base the fact that during S&D both teams will wholly be right near each other anyway, to get the target away from that mess, and set up defense while the enemy is chasing you all the way towards your base because they know they have to assassinate a target makes it much harder than usual. You should never have to defend a target after defending S&D.
While I don't wholly agree with how bottled you are after S&D, I can see where you're coming from. Like I said, you're probably going to lose Assassination defend anyway, so even tiny little things like this can make the balance even worse.

KZObsessed

Liabe Brave said:
Are you sure about this? I could've sworn I've seen the target change more than once on my team without an auto-lose.

I thought so, it's happened a few times where we've lost before the counter has gone down. Might have been more than two then and I didn't realise.

careful

Did you guys get disconnected too?

Was my first time playing with gaffers today, good times! (me = stveland)
Man you guys are good... Cagen is a fuckin beast!
I was part of both the epic comeback on Tharsis (down 0-3) and the crushing victory on Salamun. ;)

Also, Kitton sounds like a grown ass man :lol

Cagen

careful said:
Did you guys get disconnected too?

Was my first time playing with gaffers today, good times! (me = stveland)
Man you guys are good... Cagen is a fuckin beast!
I was part of both the epic comeback on Tharsis (down 0-3) and the crushing victory on Salamun. ;)

Also, Kitton sounds like a grown ass man :lol

I aim to please.

Besides that jerk at the start team killing me constantly with the Rocket Launcher we had some good games, though after I went on a rant about voting to kick him he seemed to get the damn message.

It was nice to have Euro-GAF and Ameri-GAF playing together again, even if I had to battle it out with my nemesis, Kittonwy :lol.

oh wow the game is so much easier when going back to the assault rifle after so many games with the sta14 Sab rifle.

I now see kitten started using it.

TheFatOne

Rapping Granny said:
oh wow the game is so much easier when going back to the assault rifle after so many games with the sta14 Sab rifle.

My favorite class now is tact because of that rifle. Plus boost + spawn grenades are pretty awesome.

icechai

TheFatOne said:
My favorite class now is tact because of that rifle. Plus boost + spawn grenades are pretty awesome.

yayyy i've been tact for 2 weeks straight, could use with someone else being it constantly :p

Schrade

Wollan said:
I see you all got this party started without me.
Welcome back! You weren't around in person but in spirit you sure were.

At least you didn't get swatted by the damn clown GIF.

Cagen said:
I aim to please.

I think it is only a selfish pleasure that comes from your aim!

Sucks that I got disconnected during the last push on Corinth. That match was actually really tense. No one on my team wanted to play as a tactician and my squad leader was a scout. I often get into the mode of playing one class and forget that I can change it up.

CJ had my number tonight. Next time I will not be so forgiving. No seriously, my failure in battle was merely because I was trying out the StA14 . . . yeah . . .

I LOVED the controls before the initial so called "COD control" patch but still had a fun and decent time with the controls afterward. But today with the new controls I found myself over correcting... AND I PLAY WITH THE SENSITIVITY UP JUST ONE NOTCH EACH!. Still..... I finished 4th on the losing team with the most kills and best k/d out of the 50+ kills club =P. I can't complain that much but it is frustrating watching my cursor go so far to either side with just a tap at a low sensitivity. Man, I can only imagine the damage I'd deal with the original controls back. I'm not a god-like fpser but even someone like me can do well in this game. Go GG.

careful

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I LOVED the controls before the initial so called "COD control" patch but still had a fun and decent time with the controls afterward. But today with the new controls I found myself over correcting... AND I PLAY WITH THE SENSITIVITY UP JUST ONE NOTCH EACH!. Still..... I finished 4th on the losing team with the most kills and best k/d out of the 50+ kills club =P. I can't complain that much but it is frustrating watching my cursor go so far to either side with just a tap at a low sensitivity. Man, I can only imagine the damage I'd deal with the original controls back. I'm not a god-like fpser but even someone like me can do well in this game. Go GG.
They didn't change anything about the controls other than removing the little bit of aim assist left when you would zoom in with the scope. So you were probably just rusty.. :p

I find it odd people are having such a hard time with the controls unless you were specifically relying on when it auto adjusts your aim. I actually had my highest K/D ratio of all time today and I really cant say I noticed anything.

TheFatOne said:

Tactician plus C4 has quickly become my combination of choice. Plus I find I can get even a piss poor team to win some rounds with some well placed spawn points.

Wollan said:
I see you all got this party started without me.

Welcome back bro we have been waiting for you.

careful said:
They didn't change anything about the controls other than removing the little bit of aim assist left when you would zoom in with the scope. So you were probably just rusty.. :p

LOL, I guess so. I still kicked ass... it's just some guys I could not line up. Maybe it's the panic that sets in when up against a shotty at close range... hmmm.

careful

Cagen said:
I aim to please.

Besides that jerk at the start team killing me constantly with the Rocket Launcher we had some good games, though after I went on a rant about voting to kick him he seemed to get the damn message.

It was nice to have Euro-GAF and Ameri-GAF playing together again, even if I had to battle it out with my nemesis, Kittonwy :lol.
Speaking of rocket team kill and Kittonwy... He had an epic team kill on Radec, took out like 3 of us. :lol

Top Bottom