• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

careful

Dirtbag said:
32 players is seriously not fun.
And who ever decided to try and 'help' by playing as a tactician last round on the Hammer... you have been demoted. Leave spawn grenade duty up to me.
You have failed.

We still won that round handily, but only when your grenades would expire and I could place proper ones.

EDIT: There is no reason to purposely place spawn grenades side by side, except on Radac Academy during search and retrieve. And when on defense, never place the spawn grenades in the fucking towers on Vsari Hammer. JUST DON'T DO IT!
With the spawn invincibility, I find it's still slightly more advantageous to drop the spawn point straight in the tower.

Dirtbag

careful said:
With the spawn invincibility, I find it's still slightly more advantageous to drop the spawn point straight in the tower.

Only if the enemy themselves are inside the tower.. otherwise you've reduced your chance of stopping them... and on a 32 player match, put the spawn grenade in the tiniest space available on the map. The idea is to keep the enemy tactician from running up the stairs and placing his own spawn grenade rendering the gamemode: retarded. You are in a better position to stop this type of enemy advance from just outside the tower.

On offense though, I'd agree with you. Just get those grenades into the towers if you can.

careful

Dirtbag said:
Only if the enemy themselves are inside the tower.. otherwise you've reduced your chance of stopping them... and on a 32 player match, put the spawn grenade in the tiniest space available on the map. The idea is to keep the enemy tactician from running up the stairs and placing his own spawn grenade rendering the gamemode: retarded. You are in a better position to stop this type of enemy advance from just outside the tower.

On offense though, I'd agree with you. Just get those grenades into the towers if you can.
Yes, it makes sense.

..but I'm not sure why you're still playing 32p games. ;)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I stopped 32 player games forever ago.

Ugh, I'm in line for another 1% ribbon. I guess I should go for it, since it's the last day and all.

raYne

JudgeN said:
So KZ2 was only in production 3 years? Nice was tired of people claiming it took 5 years.
They didn't start working on it until after they announced it? And for some reason, pre-production isn't counted as dev time? Heh.

test_account

XP-39C²
GodofWine said:
Tharsis Depot mainly, visari as well, but all of them to a degree, a guy shouldn't be able to walk right behind me(on metal grates) without a sound (in surround sound). That irks me.
Ah ok. But isnt it possible to hear the footsteps of anyone of the enemies?

(I am sorry for the late reply here by the way :\).

Dirtbag

careful said:
Yes, it makes sense.

..but I'm not sure why you're still playing 32p games. ;)

Some prankster setup a GAF game last night at 32p
Indifferent2.gif

commish said:
I stopped 32 player games forever ago.

Ugh, I'm in line for another 1% ribbon. I guess I should go for it, since it's the last day and all.

How do you know what the number of players for the week is? I look at Killzone.com and select last week, but I don't know if that is actually for the last 7 days, or for last week.

Right now I am ranked about 2100, but it seems I should get the 1%. I will be playing more games today but I am a bit burnt out on it atm (140hrs in the past 5 weeks). For online trophies, I only need the 1% and the black belt, but I can work towards the black belt at any time.

No_Style

Dirtbag said:
This excuse might work if it weren't for spawn grenades, but pretty much any map can be rendered to a 32 player clusterfuck given their impact.

20-24 players is the sweet spot. Anything beyond that and the game just starts to break down.

Totally agree with this.

I also agree that the spawn grenades can make any game seem like a mess. Thinking about its implementation reminds me how Valve does so many things right. With regards to the class abilities, that is.

commish

the_prime_mover said:
How do you know what the number of players for the week is? I look at Killzone.com and select last week, but I don't know if that is actually for the last 7 days, or for last week.

Right now I am ranked about 2100, but it seems I should get the 1%. I will be playing more games today but I am a bit burnt out on it atm (140hrs in the past 5 weeks). For online trophies, I only need the 1% and the black belt, but I can work towards the black belt at any time.

2100 is enough for 1%. cutoff atm is 2360 or so. you can see the total number on killzone.com stats, and jsut take 1% of that.

FFObsessed said:
There's a GAFe vs GAFA 8 vs 8 clan match scheduled for 11pm GMT if you guys accept. No valo, just a "friendly" game. Everything is on including Friendly Fire of course. Hopefully if it ends up only 4 vs 4 or something we can trust each other not to just use Assault ok? :p

All GAFA members who will be available at 6pm EST let me know. I will accept if we have enough people interested.

commish

cjtiger300 said:
Also, a Capture and Hold game is up for those looking for that ribbon. At the request of many, FF has been turned off.

name? i guess i can just check guild roster :p

SUGGESTION FOR TACTICIAN:

*** No more spawn grenades

The tactician HIMSELF is the spawn point while his super power is active which lets anyone on your team spawn from him. This makes it like he's a "meta squad leader"...

For 1 minute of his super power he becomes a spawn point for anyone on your team.
If he's dumb enough to get himself killed so be it. Bad tactician.

commish

these capture and hold games are getting frustrating. I'm the *only* one dropping spawn grenades in both games. It's retarded.

Actually, this makes perfect sense to remove spawn grenades and make the spawning work from the tactician himself.
Squads already have an important mechanic where you keep your squad leader alive means you can spawn from them.

Tacticians having the power to be a "super spawn point" (no spawn grenade) where people from any squad can spawn from them for 1 minute....
That’s a perfect solution.

It would prevent the clone-suicide-grenade problems we see in search and destroy.
Snipers would also be more valuable suddenly to kill the tacticians.

Tacticians would have to keep alive making every game a tiny "assassination" game for them.
I think it solves everything.

commish said:
2100 is enough for 1%. cutoff atm is 2360 or so. you can see the total number on killzone.com stats, and jsut take 1% of that.

Cool. I was just concerned about the dates and the difference betweek KZ.com and the ingame stats.

UntoldDreams said:
Actually, this makes perfect sense to remove spawn grenades and make the spawning work from the tactician himself.
Squads already have an important mechanic where you keep your squad leader alive means you can spawn from them.

Tacticians having the power to be a "super spawn point" (no spawn grenade) where people from any squad can spawn from them for 1 minute....

It would prevent the clone-suicide-grenade problems we see in search and destroy.

Tacticians would have to keep alive making every game a tiny "assassination" game for them.

Or everyone would choose tactician meaning that anyone could spawn where ever someone else is. Add in the invincibility and this could get annoying fast. Have you ever been in a firefight with someone who turned out to be a squad leader? You know you have him, just one more hit. Then suddenly his squad mate spawns in front of him and now you are shooting someone who is invincible but can shoot you. In the end both the leader and the squad mate get away and you die.

Plus there is a tactical advantage to putting a spawn point in a flanking position. I don't think that some non-scout player is going to want to camp out of the action just so people can spawn on them.

In the end, I would be happy if GG opened a dialogue about what they could do with the spawn grenades so that the community could get involved, but also see what GG has in mind. The game was released with things working a certain way so obviously GG feels things are more or less right. However, the community, to a degree, seems to think otherwise.

Dirtbag

UntoldDreams said:

:lol are you having a conversation with yourself.

This has been brought up in this thread before and it would present a different set of problems. A mobile spawn point that an entire team could spawn on would most definitely create major imbalances for every balance you think it solves.

It would most certainly ruin search and retrieve, and imagine if a team used multiple tacticians that could activate their spawn on leader thing as each of them die off - effectively keeping their mobile front in place as they die, free to advance at will.

EDIT:Also, that match on Tharis Depot was :lol
Absolutely ran it.

Dirtbag said:
:lol are you having a conversation with yourself.

This has been brought up in this thread before and it would present a different set of problems. A mobile spawn point that an entire team could spawn on would most definitely create major imbalances for every balance you think it solves.

It would most certainly ruin search and retrieve, and imagine if a team used multiple tacticians that could activate their spawn on leader thing as each of them die off - effectively keeping their mobile front in place as they die free to advance at will.

I hadn't thought about that actually. In my thinking there would have to be only one tactician active at a time.

Sigh... Oh well it sounded good at the time.

Dirtbag

KZ.com seems to be running much faster these days.
Quick question though...
weapons cloud, abilities usage, and (likely) kill/death ratio.
Are they updating??

My weapons cloud is way off, there is no possible way I still have more shotgun kills then rifle kills, and same as my ability usage.
I play almost exclusively as tactician. My read-outs make no sense.

10dollas said:
FF off? what reasonable person could want that with having the potential for great team-"lovin" killed off?

Everytime I make a game with it on, people complain like crazy. It doesn't bother me at all.

commish

cjtiger300 said:
The name of the game is just Capture & Hold, my PSN ID is cjtiger300

Yup, I found it (im tigerheli). Fun games... when my team wasn't driving me crazy :p When us 4 gaffers got on the same team finally, it was a slaughter.

RavenFox said:
Well Im about to get on. ok update 1.21? lol what did i miss. Demon Souls had me in its grasp.

never mind. I knew about this

I still have that in its packaging. I need to start that but the addiction is too strong.

ChryZ

Platinum get! :D

I only have 3 platinum trophies and this was the most pleasant one so far. I burned out on the other games in the process, but I'll keep playing Killzone2.

slider

Not sure if I'll get any responses... but I've finished the SP (on the easiest level), and am now intrigued by the MP - I need something to break Warhawk's hold over me.

I've seen talk of badges and classes and so on.

Can anyone give me a good start point summarising game modes and a few quick tips?

So far all I've picked up is to avoid games above 16v16 and that there's a cool mode where objectives consistently and constantly change.

I suck at gaming. : (

slider said:
Not sure if I'll get any responses... but I've finished the SP (on the easiest level), and am now intrigued by the MP - I need something to break Warhawk's hold over me.

Can anyone give me a good start point summarising game modes and a few quick tips?

So far all I've picked up is to avoid games above 16v16 and that there's a cool mode where objectives consistently and constantly change.

To me one of the beautys about this game is unlike almost every fps I have ever played you can be terrible at dropping guys but absolutely critical to winning games.

This thread is full of tips which I am sure you will be bombarded with but I say just jump in. Half the fun is from figuring the nuances out.

commish

slider said:

Just start playing; the game eases you into the class, since you unlock them one by one. When you start, you don't have many options so you can just focus on learning the levels.

slider

BruceLeeRoy said:
To me one of the beautys about this game is unlike almost every fps I have ever played you can be terrible at dropping guys but absolutely critical to winning games.

This thread is full of tips which I am sure you will be bombarded with but I say just jump in. Half the fun is from figuring the nuances out.

Cheers man. I think I'll do just that (after having a quick skim of the manual).

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try out MP. I was one of the first to post in the 1st KZ2 clan thread.

EDIT: Thanks commish too. Think I'm gonna have to do this the hard way. : )

slider said:
Cheers man. I think I'll do just that (after having a quick skim of the manual).

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try out MP. I was one of the first to post in the 1st KZ2 clan thread.

EDIT: Thanks commish too. Think I'm gonna have to do this the hard way. : )

Played a bunch of games today with people of very low level. I wasn't paying attention until the end stats and then felt very dirty. However, it doesn't seem like you will have any difficulty finding matches in your rank range if you select that option in your filter. You will rank up slowly at first and the first few ranks only unlock some community elements. But once you unlock the medic things will start to progress more quickly.

Warzone is the best game type and the best way to become familiar with the maps. To start it is usually best to avoid being in the thick of battle. Stay off to the side a little and you will get a better feel for how things (d)evolve during play. The server results show icons for the various game modes that server offers. Usually people are only setting up Warzone and Bodycount matches, but once in a while you will find a capture and hold server (a bit slower paced as all the action is located around three control points).

Good luck and stick with it so that you rank up. Every time I unlocked a new class I thought it was the best thing ever . . . until I unlocked the next class. If the game doesn't offer your play style right away then just hold on and keep playing because different classes and/or weapons and/or secondary abilities will drastically change the way you approach the game, and you are bound to find something that suits your style.

icechai

slider said:

welcome to KZ2 MP! It definitely destroyed Warhawk's hold on me :p Warzone is basically all of the modes rotating dynamically in a map.

Bodycount - Team Death Match
Search & Destroy - Plant the bomb (little explosion sign)
Search & Defend - Don't let them plant (shield sign)
Search & Retrieve - Capture the flag, know where your defensive position is (a little box thing)
Assassination - kill the red thing on your radar
Capture & Hold - Zones

Burst a lot, and watch out for cloaked snipers and dark looking version of your team members (saboteurs).

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do :)

careful

slider said:

At the beginning, stick to playing matches that are restricted to your rank. Otherwise, you'll just be overwhelmed by all the turrets, flying robots, invisible snipers, halloween guys, and so on.

the_prime_mover said:
Played a bunch of games today with people of very low level. I wasn't paying attention until the end stats and then felt very dirty. However, it doesn't seem like you will have any difficulty finding matches in your rank range if you select that option in your filter. You will rank up slowly at first and the first few ranks only unlock some community elements. But once you unlock the medic things will start to progress more quickly.

commish

the_prime_mover said:

I saw click in a game earlier named "Beginners only". Too funny.

This game is funny, because I got it and played it quite a bit, took a few days to get used to the controls and then played it to the end sequence. (With the Missile launchers etc.)

Never quite beat that end sequence, now every time I try to go back and play it again I end up getting frustrated and dropping it for a while...

I never get back into the rhythm of it... and I don't have the patience to play that same sequence as many times as it would probably take to make that happen.

Short term this makes me think back on the days of multiple saves, why the hell do all shooters these days only have one save slot? So I can't overlap my game attempts with a harder or easier setting, I HAVE to beat it on this setting or start from scratch... neither of which I want to do...

I also still think the controls aren't reactive enough. :p Because it shouldn't take many hours of play to pick up the game flow... I'm sorry but that strikes me as bad game design.

JardeL

If you get killed while you placing a turret and a medic revives you , if you try to place a turret right after being revived , process resumes from where it was when you die ...

FIX THIS SHIT GG!!!

Snipes424

Any tips on how to beat the
Train level where you have to take out the tank and 29163792379237 helgast on Elite difficulty?

SetUhatU

JardeL said:
If you get killed while you placing a turret and a medic revives you , if you try to place a turret right after being revived , process resumes from where it was when you die ...

FIX THIS SHIT GG!!!

Worst complaint ever.

BeeDog

Snipes424 said:
Any tips on how to beat the
Train level where you have to take out the tank and 29163792379237 helgast on Elite difficulty?

Keep running back to the mountable tank, but DON'T jump up to the MG (you'll be shredded). Instead, hide behind the weapon rack that's right behind the tank, and you can pick them off one after another (they'll come one by one, easy pickings). There will be 4 waves of enemies I believe, so be damn careful.

Snipes424

BeeDog said:
Keep running back to the mountable tank, but DON'T jump up to the MG (you'll be shredded). Instead, hide behind the weapon rack that's right behind the tank, and you can pick them off one after another (they'll come one by one, easy pickings). There will be 4 waves of enemies I believe, so be damn careful.

wait a sec, so the enemies actually stop spawning? I always thought this was CoD style where the enemies never stopped spawning.

xiked

Banned
Snipes424 said:
wait a sec, so the enemies actually stop spawning? I always thought this was CoD style where the enemies never stopped spawning.
almost, there is some of the last levels where they re spawn until you do certain things but other than that, no cod re spawn cluster fuck :p I love GG for doing it more realistic whit almost no enemy re spawn in the SP.

FFObsessed said:
There's a GAFe vs GAFA 8 vs 8 clan match scheduled for 11pm GMT if you guys accept. No valo, just a "friendly" game. Everything is on including Friendly Fire of course. Hopefully if it ends up only 4 vs 4 or something we can trust each other not to just use Assault ok? :p

This is happening so please show up. It is 6pm EST or about 30 minutes from now. GAFA represent!

BeeDog

Snipes424 said:

As said above, there is only one spot in the game where infinite spawning occurs (that I noticed during my run), and it's
in the last level, right outside the entrance to the palace and the last boss fight.
All other areas have limited spawns, but if you do things right, like taking the tank out at the place where you are, you cut the respawns short.

Top Bottom