• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TheFatOne

icechai said:
noooo way, the warhawk one is a generic Jabra headset while the Sony one outclasses it in every category. Very noticeable when talking to people in KZ2 and Socom.

Really, is the official headset that much better. I have been using the Warhawk one and no one has really complained about it. Maybe I should save up for the official headse.

Raist said:
The warhawk one is better as far as I'm concerned.

GG guys, we took a f'in while to warm up :(

Kittonwy you rocket launcher whore, next time I'm hunting you down :p

The warhawk one is fine but the OT headset is far superior in my opinion. I usually click the headset to my shirt since I play the game with headphones and the Jabra picks up tons of static whereas the Sony can be a couple feet from me and I still come through clear.

Cruzader

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Really, is the official headset that much better. I have been using the Warhawk one and no one has really complained about it. Maybe I should save up for the official headse.
HQ is amazing. Get Sony 1.

Raist

Banned
icechai said:
noooo way, the warhawk one is a generic Jabra headset while the Sony one outclasses it in every category. Very noticeable when talking to people in KZ2 and Socom.

Look, I had the Jabra BT 125 for a fucking while, and overall voice chat has been good. Some issues sometimes with certain people. And it's always the same. I have some echo with Live for instance, while I hear Cagen perfectly well. And AFAIK it's the same the other way around. Cagen hears me well, but ChryZ doesn't.

So, since the off HS got so much praise, I bought one.

Verdict: much more echo, the damn thing is less comfortable (excepy the earplug) and heavier (it's huge ffs) and the battery life is shorter than the Jabra.
Overall, the voice chat quality is inferior, without a doubt.
Since I still had some doubts, I even switched HS during a match, to avoid any lag or whatever related issues. Jabra was once again better.

Now, maybe it's better for other people, but have they thoroughly compared the off HS with another one? Maybe, maybe not.
And maybe it may depend on indepedant factors, I dunno. So before buying a new one, I'd say try it out if you can, before I'm not sure the Sony HS is automatically superior.

Raist said:
Look, I had the Jabra BT 125 for a fucking while, and overall voice chat has been good. Some issues sometimes with certain people. And it's always the same. I have some echo with Live for instance, while I hear Cagen perfectly well. And AFAIK it's the same the other way around. Cagen hears me well, but ChryZ doesn't.

So, since the off HS got so much praise, I bought one.

Verdict: much more echo, the damn thing is less comfortable (excepy the earplug) and heavier (it's huge ffs) and the battery life is shorter than the Jabra.
Overall, the voice chat quality is inferior, without a doubt.
Since I still had some doubts, I even switched HS during a match, to avoid any lag or whatever related issues. Jabra was once again better.

Now, maybe it's better for other people, but have they thoroughly compared the off HS with another one? Maybe, maybe not.
And maybe it may depend on indepedant factors, I dunno. So before buying a new one, I'd say try it out if you can, before I'm not sure the Sony HS is automatically superior.

I agree with this. I even bought one for my brother for Christmas and he switched back to the Warhawk one that a group of us have been using since way back when because we could hardly hear him in LBP. Hell, my jabra and a buddy's have both snapped at the earpiece and replaced with some copper wire and sleeving from work FFS and it's still going strong.

cakefoo

I have little to no experience with either headset, but that just doesn't seem right. Which way was the echo going? Was what you were saying echoing back to you or were people telling you that what they had been saying was echoing back to them?

If the former, it's probably someone else's fault. When you talk, look onscreen for someone's mic to open and close when you start and stop talking, respectively. I use a basic wired stereo headphone mic, and often hear an echo when I talk, because someone else's mic is picking up my voice coming out of their speakers.

If it's the latter, and someone can confirm they see your screenname popping up indicating you're the one whose mic is opening, then you may just need to adjust the sensitivity. Maybe it's just more sensitive than the Jabra by default.

Narcosis

So I'm going after medals in the MP portion of this game, and one of them has me stuck: The sentry bot kills. Is there any way to make this thing useful enough to kill 5 people? I've been playing in games with 30 minutes on every game type and still I'm lucky if this thing kills 1 or 2 people. It's like some hyperactive ADD toddler who gets halfway done with one thing, sees something shiny and proceeds to forget totally about finishing the task it's on.

Any strategies from people who figured this out?

Kittonwy

Banned
Cagen said:
Congratulations on the win GAFNA, even if it took consolidating all the American clans to beat little old Europe, you did it. I played absolutely horribly :lol and we had no time to organise anything, who was playing, tactics, what classes to use and it was a giant mess as we didn't even know the challenge had been sent until not to long ago and then you guys accepted it an hour before. Not to make excuses though, you guys played well and it was good to finally get to play you.

In the words of the infamous Dr. Claw "I'll get you next time, Gadget Kittonwy... NEXT TIME!"

23.jpg

GG. I think all of us kind of got together at the last minute, it was great both clans had a full team.
Indifferent2.gif

ChryZ

Raist said:
Cagen hears me well, but ChryZ doesn't.
I once commented on echo or something, but wasn't that fixed by adjusting your mic's sensitivity? Oh and I had some trouble to find the correct button to crank up the volume on the HQ headset itself, so it was tricky to understand pretty much anyone. It's all good now. I, for one, love the HQ one.

Thrakier

It's annoying that Sony still didn't fix the bug that you can't regulate the sensibility setting of the mic when you paired it via USB.

Rolf NB

GG GAFa. Very good start. Got us all bum-rushed early in the match, and getting the S&D objective as the first just fit perfectly I'd think. Congrats.

I'm still trying to find out who it was that kept placing our spawn points facing the wrong direction. There will be bruises. And cuts.

It would be awesome if we could do that again next weekend. Start thinking about it nao plz.

Raist

Banned
cakefoo said:
I have little to no experience with either headset, but that just doesn't seem right. Which way was the echo going? Was what you were saying echoing back to you or were people telling you that what they had been saying was echoing back to them?

If the former, it's probably someone else's fault. When you talk, look onscreen for someone's mic to open and close when you start and stop talking, respectively. I use a basic wired stereo headphone mic, and often hear an echo when I talk, because someone else's mic is picking up my voice coming out of their speakers.

If it's the latter, and someone can confirm they see your screenname popping up indicating you're the one whose mic is opening, then you may just need to adjust the sensitivity. Maybe it's just more sensitive than the Jabra by default.

Echo wasn't the right term. Yes sometimes I get echo (hearing my own voice witha huge ass delay), and this is most likely because one people in there has his sensitivity too high.
Now by echo, I mean... some people sound like they're in a cave or something. That's not really an echo, I don't hear them twice. Now, when that happened on a regular basis during one match (ie everytime said person was talking), not just here and then, I did switch to my jabra to check it out, and it didn't happen anymore.
Sometimes it just doesn't happen, but then the Jabra sounds just as good as the Sony HS.
I also think the Sony HS is sometimes just too sensitive and if you turn the sound down, you barely hear anything. It's either whispers, or destroying your ears. Happens mostly with people from NA (but not always) so maybe it's "lag" related. Dunno.

I can't comment on how I sound, you'd have to ask people who regularly play with me. But IIRC Cagen said once it was perfectly fine. With the jabra, I mean. I've been using the Sony one lately because I always forget to charge my Jabra up, so maybe Lince or Cagen or anyone can confirm.

Now the rest is down to personal preferences. Off HS's earplug is really nice (you prolly wouldn't be able to make the Jabra fit into your ear as it's huge) but the Jabra is way lighter and the earpiece is softer so overall it's more comfortable IMO.

Seph: I dunno wtf you're talking about mate. I paired it through USB and I can set the sensibility just fine. IMO your mic has a problem. Or you messed up the pairing.

Raist

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I'm still trying to find out who it was that kept placing our spawn points facing the wrong direction. There will be bruises. And cuts.

During S&D on defend? I think that were mostly my spawn points up during that part. I placed them right behind our S&D spot, turning my back at the objective. So there's no way you would have spawned in the wrong direction using them. I used them a shitload of times and I never had a bad spawn.

Thrakier

Raist said:
Seph: I dunno wtf you're talking about mate. I paired it through USB and I can set the sensibility just fine. IMO your mic has a problem. Or you messed up the pairing.

You can set the sensibility but it won't help. ;) It's a known bug, there is even a gaf thread somewhere about this problem...

I wish Sony would work with Plantronics to make an official headset that was actually comfortable. The Sony one makes my ear hurt after a while. :*(

Raist

Banned
Thrakier said:
You can set the sensibility but it won't help. ;) It's a known bug, there is even a gaf thread somewhere about this problem...

Well maybe it's related to some PS3 models or something. Or a HS batch. Because I can turn the sound all the way up or down, no problem.

tiddles

Tylahedras said:
Short term this makes me think back on the days of multiple saves, why the hell do all shooters these days only have one save slot? So I can't overlap my game attempts with a harder or easier setting, I HAVE to beat it on this setting or start from scratch... neither of which I want to do...

You can drop down and play the last battle on an easier setting (using Mission Select). Although you only have one save, the game will still remember which levels and sections you have beaten at a particular difficulty levels, so then you can come back and play it at the higher setting when you feel like it...

Thrakier

Raist said:
Well maybe it's related to some PS3 models or something. Or a HS batch. Because I can turn the sound all the way up or down, no problem.

I can do that too. But it doesn't change a thing. It's a software bug because if you pair it using BT it works fine.

Raist

Banned
Thrakier said:
I can do that too. But it doesn't change a thing. It's a software bug because if you pair it using BT it works fine.

So if you can cahnge the volume what's the problem then? oO

Got my Platinum on Saturday!

I think im going to give KZ2 a rest for a while and move onto something else than go back, thinking about going for the R2 10,000 kills trophy to get my Platinum on that too which im not looking forward to :D

Raist

Banned
Thrakier said:
Because it doesn't react! You can change the number but the input volume stays the same.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=3512382&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Ahhhh, ok, misunderstood that, ddin't realize that you were talking about the settings in the XMB options.

I've tried it under the xmb and yup, changing sensitivity doesn't change anything. That being said, I tried with my Jabra and it's the exact same thing. So I doubt it's related to the official headset.

Raist

Banned
Lince said:
I'm using the official headset as well... did you have any problem hearing my sexy Spanish voice all this time?

Nope, it's alright. Slightly better with my Jabra than my sony HS tho.

Thrakier

Lince said:
I'm using the official headset as well... did you have any problem hearing my sexy Spanish voice all this time?

Off. to off. is fine. It's not THAT low, you can hear it, but not everyone. I think you heard me too when we played together? I'm using the off. one too. The thing is just that you can't change it if you want to...come on, it's the off. headset and it's not working 100%.

Thrakier

Raist said:
Ahhhh, ok, misunderstood that, ddin't realize that you were talking about the settings in the XMB options.

I've tried it under the xmb and yup, changing sensitivity doesn't change anything. That being said, I tried with my Jabra and it's the exact same thing. So I doubt it's related to the official HS

If you pair it via BT it's fine. It also works with my other BT HS.

Raist

Banned
Thrakier said:
If you pair it via BT it's fine. It also works with my other BT HS.

Dunno man, I've tried under the XMB with the Jabra, and playing with sensitivity changed absolutely nothing to the number of bars filled up when I talk.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Recently bought logitech USB headset. The voice quality is much better. My friends don't complain or ask me to repeat when we play games together. It was a bit uncomfortable at first but so are most BT headsets so no biggie. Also, the wire is really really long, so that's good. Tried BT headsets but they all give me feedback (ahhh the HEADACHE!)

ilanna said:
Recently bought logitech USB headset. The voice quality is much better. My friends don't complain or ask me to repeat when we play games together. It was a bit uncomfortable at first but so are most BT headsets so no biggie. Also, the wire is really really long, so that's good. Tried BT headsets but they all give me feedback (ahhh the HEADACHE!)

Yes. to everyone: BUY USB, NOT BLUE TOOTH

-viper-

Banned
Raist said:
During S&D on defend? I think that were mostly my spawn points up during that part. I placed them right behind our S&D spot, turning my back at the objective. So there's no way you would have spawned in the wrong direction using them. I used them a shitload of times and I never had a bad spawn.
I didn't like the spawn point because it left me exposed to die in S+D defense.

D:

JB1981

BruceLeeRoy said:
The warhawk one is fine but the OT headset is far superior in my opinion. I usually click the headset to my shirt since I play the game with headphones and the Jabra picks up tons of static whereas the Sony can be a couple feet from me and I still come through clear.

Never once thought of doing this - wow. How do you hear the players talking back to you? Does it come through your headphones or your TV or ?????

j-wood

To everyone complaining about the voice quality of the Official Sony headset, you did pair it to the ps3 using the usb cable and not by putting the headset in discovery mode correct?

If you don't use the USB cable to pair it, you don't get to use all the features of the headset, such as high quality mode. HQ makes a huge difference.

KZObsessed

I'll do another one for next week same time as that seemed fine for everyone. I'll make it 16 vs 16 so no one hopefully gets left out. Didn't expect so many players were gonna play, that's good tho!

32 players... I guess we can call it our weekly GAF Cluster Fuck. :lol Do you guys want Saluman Market or Pyrrhus Rise this time? PR is the biggest so I think we should go with that. I'll probably turn Rockets off and see if you guys prefer that to kittonwy's rocket whoring :p

Some valor at stake or just a "friendly" for now to continue warming up?

I might do a few smaller games during the week when there will be less people, as I know some people really hate the larger games.

Raist

Banned
-viper- said:
I didn't like the spawn point because it left me exposed to die in S+D defense.

D:

Huh? They were on the opposite side of the "bunker" (S&D objective) relative to the C4. How is that exposed? If I placed them on the main road, or right in front of the C4 spots, I'd agree, but for such a placement I don't see how it's exposed.

FFO: 16vs16? Are you f'ing kidding me?

8vs8 was hellish enough. Just make 2 8vs8 then. Also, if GAFNA had accepted the challenge earlier, maybe we could have organized better instead of going batshit insane in the chat :p

Lince

Banned
PR no assault no rockets could be awesome, but with 32 players almost 12 will be camping/sniping (including myself)

andycapps

GG yesterday with GAFA versus GAFE. I was wanting to play saboteur but we didn't have any engineers so I pretty much made it my duty to put those up at what I thought were good places and harass GAFE with them. Got quite a few kills with those when I put up 2 in that area and search and destroy on their side. Seemed to work pretty well.

For the most part, I didn't notice much lag. I'd notice it for 1 or 2 players here and there, but I was generally surprised by how little there was. There were a couple times where I'd take you guys out with my shotty (pew-pew) and it'd take about 5 seconds to hear the chirp.

KZObsessed

Raist said:
Huh? They were on the opposite side of the "bunker" (S&D objective) relative to the C4. How is that exposed? If I placed them on the main road, or right in front of the C4 spots, I'd agree, but for such a placement I don't see how it's exposed.

8vs8 was hellish enough. Just make 2 8vs8 then. Also, if GAFNA had accepted the challenge earlier, maybe we could have organized better instead of going batshit insane in the chat :p

But we don't know if 32 players will want to play. We could end up with an 8 vs 8 and a 4 vs 3 :p

I guess we could just message ppl and say "get in here!" Alright I'll do a 8 vs 8 for 11pm and an 8 vs 8 at 11:45.

Ok Lince, PR no rockets. Two 8 vs 8 games for Sunday.

What about valor? Keep it at 0 for now? It's upto GAFA I guess, they may want t earn some ;)

-viper-

Banned
Raist said:

Someone put it right there in the middle of the objective zone. That is what I didn't like.

I guess it wasn't you then!

p.s. FOLLOW THE BLOODY OBJECTIVES EVERYONE... I was standing there for 2 minutes and I thought the guy was planting the bomb on S+D. But that's all he did - stand there.

I won us that round GAFe by planting both bombs :p

Raist

Banned
FFObsessed said:
But we don't know if 32 players will want to play. We could end up with an 8 vs 8 and a 4 vs 3 :p

I guess we could just message ppl and say "get in here!" Alright I'll do a 8 vs 8 for 11pm and an 8 vs 8 at 11:45.

Ok Lince, PR no rockets. Two 8 vs 8 games for Sunday.

What about valor? Keep it at 0 for now? It's upto GAFA I guess, they may want t earn some ;)

Ask people to organize first, determine how many players would get in, and then organize the matches.

Raist

Banned
-viper- said:
Someone put it right there in the middle of the objective zone. That is what I didn't like.

I guess it wasn't you then!

Yeah that's fucked up, you usually spawn in the middleof hell, bullets, nades and C4 detonating left and right. Plus it can be confusing because when it's stuck to a wall, weird shit happens sometimes. Behind the bunker, there's some cover, and you know exactly where you spawn as the objectives icons are right in front of you.

Top Bottom