• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

GodofWine

Madman said:
Perhaps unrelated, but Warhawk's server population dropped around the release of Killzone 2, but has since steadily climbed back up to old levels. So it may just be a combination of things that are leading to the decline in server populations.

After I quit KZ last night after I popped in Warhawk...god its fun.

.GqueB.

Banned
GodofWine said:
Per week? or right now? I never saw less than 60K on WaW at anytime, I reckon that adds up to well over KZ's weekly total.

Even Halo 3 only had 60K online at the moment, but 800K users in the last 24 hours (which sounds amazingly high)
ITS HALO!!!

Why are you guys pitting KZ2 which is a relatively new franchise in the head of the average gamer to Halo and COD:WaW (who both already have establish audiences)?

What I dont really get is why some of you insist on discussing this. We ALL know why it doesnt get the same traffic. There are blatantly obvious reasons as to why this game will never see the numbers that Halo does yet we still discuss it and "report" about it as if its some phenomenon. KZ2 is a very specific game that caters to a certain crowd. Id almost call it a niche MP game. Same as TF2. Same as Warhawk. Same as Socom. As people keep saying, it isnt casual friendly. And I'll add that it isnt refined enough to hold on to the hardcore crowd either because it has too many "issues". So it holds on to that middle ground crowd. And I highly doubt that crowd will log in over 800,000 times in a day.

Wake up and smell the coffee. And then go kill some higs and enjoy it.

TheFatOne

GodofWine said:

Serious question why worry so much over something you can't control? If this game dies a slow horrible death there is nothing you can really do so why worry?

McLovin

C4's aren't cheap, they are so much fun! Have any of you guys ever tried going into disguise then mixing yourself with the enemy. Then running ahead of them right past your c4's. I laugh uncontrollably when I hear the explosion right behind me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
GodofWine said:

I love that game. If only the ground soldier combat was a bit better. Still, great fun.

Dirtbag

commish said:
Eh.. so few use it, that it's not really an issue. I'll always whore it out, as it can make a big difference on some maps/game modes.

See that's where I'd disagree.
If something is imbalanced, its imbalanced... period.
Got nothing to do with the frequency of it's abuse, its still cheap everytime it does happen.

It's too lethal given it's ability to be detected (same thing with the saboteur class in general).

commish

TheFatOne said:
Serious question why worry so much over something you can't control? If this game dies a slow horrible death there is nothing you can really do so why worry?

I think it's just human nature, for better or worse, to worry about things that may affect your life in some way. If you love KZ2, and KZ2's community dies, then you cant' play online. It's like how people worry about the economy. Obviously it's something beyond our control, yet many people justifiably (perhaps...) worry about it. I don't care if 100k or 200k play KZ2 bc COD MW 2 is just around the corner!

Dirtbag

.GqueB. said:
ITS HALO!!!

Why are you guys pitting KZ2 which is a relatively new franchise in the head of the average gamer to Halo and COD:WaW (who both already have establish audiences)?

What I dont really get is why some of you insist on discussing this. We ALL know why it doesnt get the same traffic. There are blatantly obvious reasons as to why this game will never see the numbers that Halo does yet we still discuss it and "report" about it as if its some phenomenon. KZ2 is a very specific game that caters to a certain crowd. Id almost call it a niche MP game. Same as TF2. Same as Warhawk. Same as Socom. As people keep saying, it isnt casual friendly. And I'll add that it isnt refined enough to hold on to the hardcore crowd either because it has too many "issues". So it holds on to that middle ground crowd. And I highly doubt that crowd will log in over 800,000 times in a day.

So true.
It's lots of fun, and it has some great features that many games should borrow moving forward... BUT I've been screaming accessibility from day 1. I feel so vindicated!

Rolf NB

-viper- said:
KZ2 is less casual friendly though, unlike Halo which can be picked and played by just about anyone. I know A LOT OF PEOPLE who are unhappy at their KZ2 purchases because they tell me it is far too difficult for them, both in single player and online.
Tell them to play more against me. I'm easy to kill.

obaidr

Banned
Dirtbag said:
So true.
It's lots of fun, and it has some great features that many games should borrow moving forward... BUT I've been screaming accessibility from day 1. I feel so vindicated!

Seems like i am semi hardcore gamer :lol I do see there are a lot of problems. For example the rocket launchers totally destroy any game and I had many matches where it was something like 2 vs. 6 players. I hope GG will patch more issues very soon.

commish

Dirtbag said:
See that's where I'd disagree.
If something is imbalanced, its imbalanced... period.
Got nothing to do with the frequency of it's abuse, its still cheap everytime it does happen.

It's too lethal given it's ability to be detected (same thing with the saboteur class in general).

Sabs are pretty easy to spot; I can't remember the last time I was tricked by a sab, whether it's the nonglowing eyes or even their outfit (it's their outfit 99% of the time that gives them away). Dunno why that's considered cheap... and I gotta say, you're the first person who has complained about mines being so imbalanced, especially when there are bigger balance issues (the reason rockets and assault are blocked on so many servers). Mines kill one person, and that person respawns 6 seconds later. That's hardly an imbalance. If it was a round based system, then perhaps there'd be a problem, but even then, I'd hardly call mines a problem. I guarantee you 99.4% of players who die by mines NEVER look on the ground for them. It's amazing how many players will die by my mines in EXACTLY the same spot OVER AND OVER.

TheFatOne

commish said:
I think it's just human nature, for better or worse, to worry about things that may affect your life in some way. If you love KZ2, and KZ2's community dies, then you cant' play online. It's like how people worry about the economy. Obviously it's something beyond our control, yet many people justifiably (perhaps...) worry about it. I don't care if 100k or 200k play KZ2 bc COD MW 2 is just around the corner!

Yea I think I understand where he is coming from. I hope GG continues to make the game more accessible to a wider audience. This game does need a few things that have been discussed at length already. I want to see what GG does in the next couple of months. If they are serious about adding things regularly then the community should be fine.

commish said:
Sabs are pretty easy to spot; I can't remember the last time I was tricked by a sab, whether it's the nonglowing eyes or even their outfit (it's their outfit 99% of the time that gives them away). Dunno why that's considered cheap... and I gotta say, you're the first person who has complained about mines being so imbalanced, especially when there are bigger balance issues (the reason rockets and assault are blocked on so many servers). Mines kill one person, and that person respawns 6 seconds later. That's hardly an imbalance. If it was a round based system, then perhaps there'd be a problem, but even then, I'd hardly call mines a problem. I guarantee you 99.4% of players who die by mines NEVER look on the ground for them. It's amazing how many players will die by my mines in EXACTLY the same spot OVER AND OVER.

Why do people some people have such a hard time spotting sabs. They are much darker than anyone else. I think there should be someway of telling where C4 is placed. When you have a shitty team it makes it worse. No one tells you were C4 is placed and the other team places them on your base.

commish

TheFatOne said:
Why do people some people have such a hard time spotting sabs. They are much darker than anyone else. I think there should be someway of telling where C4 is placed. When you have a shitty team it makes it worse. No one tells you were C4 is placed and the other team places them on your base.

My problem is SHOOTING the C4. It should have a bigger hit detection, because I am absolutely horrible at shooting it, and I feel so vulnerable when I'm standing still. I wouldn't care if they made it stand out a *little* better... or, taking a note from cod 4, have a skill that enables you to "sense" when it's near you.

Dirtbag

commish said:
Sabs are pretty easy to spot; I can't remember the last time I was tricked by a sab, whether it's the nonglowing eyes or even their outfit (it's their outfit 99% of the time that gives them away). Dunno why that's considered cheap... and I gotta say, you're the first person who has complained about mines being so imbalanced, especially when there are bigger balance issues (the reason rockets and assault are blocked on so many servers). Mines kill one person, and that person respawns 6 seconds later. That's hardly an imbalance. If it was a round based system, then perhaps there'd be a problem, but even then, I'd hardly call mines a problem.

All it takes is a half second advantage for a Sab to headshot you with their headshot-spitting SMG's. And I'm not saying there aren't more imbalances in the game, but if this to be a cohesive experience, YOU FIX EVERYTHING.

Just taking gameplay here, and not the online system itself.
  1. Assault class is a total mess. Even just the boost badge alone can ruin typical gamemodes.
  2. Sabs are far too lethal given their ability to be detected. I think the crosshair is inconsistent when you discover them. Sometimes there is a delay for it to turn red when I know I'm looking directly at a sab.
  3. C4 is nigh-impossible to spot.
  4. Spawn Invincibility needs to go. Or some other comparable tweak to the tactician class
  5. Long range firing vs. hip fire is ridiculous
  6. The Revolver LOL. May as well call it shotgun-lite
  7. Sentry bots are weak sauce
  8. Helghast rifle is underpowered. Needs a damage or accuracy bump. Give someone a reason to use this gun, it has my favorite firing sound for christsake!
  9. If the assault class gets the boost secondary, remove his ability to sprint regular entirely. Make him earn that run.
  10. Some maps have clear faction advantage.

.GqueB.

Banned
commish said:
I think this paragraph right here embodies why there arent 800k people logging in the 24 hours.

Disclaimer: This isnt directed at you commish, Im using it as an example.

I dont think its right to say this game is too "hard". Its just too complicated in a way. Can you imagine coming from games like cod4 and halo, running around killing people with not much else to worry about other than the occasional mine (which sticks out like a sore thumb on any map) and then coming to Killzone? You gotta worry about c4, you gotta worry about sabs, you gotta worry about some invisible fucker off in the distance sniping you, you gotta worry about the 'accurate from 15 ft away' shotgun, you gotta worry about the assault class. Its too much shit.

Even listing that stuff just now kinda turns me off from the game. Im not saying this is a bad way to design a game. I prefer this. I like how the KDR isnt the most important thing but playing your role is. But do you think many other people think like this? I dont think so.

A lot of your friends are saying they went back to COD4 because its more fun. Id go out on a limb and say that they went back because its less grief and its easier to play. Thats why I always went back to it after playing Halo. I SUCK at halo but I was decent at cod4 because it was such an easy game to play.

GodofWine

TheFatOne said:

Im not worried about it, just pointing it out. Its a valid discussion topic, no?

I didnt bring up the Halo numbers until someone else asked about them (and they are right on bungies homepage).

I didnt bring up the topic of COD WaW numbers, or ask someone else too, only commented on them since I traded it in for this game I had knowledge of its user base.

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Of course!
Then we must play. I have to show you that you are in fact, not good at KZ, but that everyone online hasn't the first idea how to play FPS games.

KZ2 is the FPS game you play if you want to trick yourself into thinking you can play well.
It's also pretty fun too.

raYne

commish said:
My problem is SHOOTING the C4. It should have a bigger hit detection, because I am absolutely horrible at shooting it, and I feel so vulnerable when I'm standing still. I wouldn't care if they made it stand out a *little* better... or, taking a note from cod 4, have a skill that enables you to "sense" when it's near you.
Eh, just grenade 'em.

TheFatOne

Dirtbag said:
All it takes is a half second advantage for a Sab to headshot you with their headshot-spitting SMG's. And I'm not saying there aren't more imbalances in the game, but if this to be a cohesive experience, YOU FIX EVERYTHING.

1. Assault class is a total mess. Even just the boost badge alone can ruin typical gamemodes.
  2. Sabs are far too lethal given their ability to be detected. I think the crosshair is inconsistent when you discover them. Sometimes there is a delay for it to turn red when I know I'm looking directly at a sab.
  4. Spawn Invincibility needs to go. Or some other comparable tweak to the tactician class
  6. The Revolver
  8. Helghast rifle is underpowered. Needs a damage or accuracy bump. Give someone a reason to use this gun, it has my favorite firing sound for christsake!
  9. If the assault class gets the boost secondary, remove his ability to sprint regular entirely.

Usually a sab kills me when I'm fighting someone else and my life is already low. I think the disguise is fine and there is no need to fix it, but there should have been a class that couldn't be fooled by them. I agree with most of your list except for the bold parts.

Are you sure you are at the appropriate distance for spotting a sab? By that I mean the crosshair will not turn red unless you are close enough or is it an actual delay? I like the revolver the way it is. To add to your list I would love to play medic but health packs are completely useless. No one on my team can ever spot one when I throw one down.

Edit: Making a new post

commish

Dirtbag said:

6. The Revolver LOL. May as well call it shotgun-lite
  9. If the assault class gets the boost secondary, remove his ability to sprint regular entirely. Make him earn that run.

I agree with most of these. Which maps do you feel have a faction advantage? I haven't noticed (or paid much attention to it). Obviously I disagree about sabs, and not just because I'm a sad (I play tactician more and more these days unfortunately). The SMG is a headshot machine, tho, I will agree. Love that gun. Revolver is okay... it's no shotgun-lite, as the shotgun can headshot you from 30m away it seems.

Cagen

Dirtbag said:
[*]If the assault class gets the boost secondary, remove his ability to sprint regular entirely. Make him earn that run.
[*]Some maps have clear faction advantage.
[/list]

I have always said the Assault class should move slower. When you are carrying a Rocket Launcher your run and walk speed are decreased but when you drop it for another weapon you are as fast as any other character. Their run and walk speed should be slower then every other class no matter what weapon they are using and it should be slower then it currently is while holding a rocket launcher. Boost can stay the same but they need to be less mobile when not boosting to even out their added armour.

It's not some maps that have faction advantage, it is most maps - this point really pisses me off more so then anything else in the game.

TheFatOne

commish said:
I agree with most of these. Which maps do you feel have a faction advantage? I haven't noticed (or paid much attention to it). Obviously I disagree about sabs, and not just because I'm a sad (I play tactician more and more these days unfortunately). The SMG is a headshot machine, tho, I will agree. Love that gun. Revolver is okay... it's no shotgun-lite, as the shotgun can headshot you from 30m away it seems.

One clear example to me is pyrrhus rise. The best sniping spot is at the ISA base. That spot is such bullshit that it makes me look like a crazy good sniper.

commish

.GqueB. said:
A lot of your friends are saying they went back to COD4 because its more fun. Id go out on a limb and say that they went back because its less grief and its easier to play. Thats why I always went back to it after playing Halo. I SUCK at halo but I was decent at cod4 because it was such an easy game to play.

I agree with this, but at the same time, I think that's the reason a lot (or some!) of us love the game so much. It's definitely not as mainstream as cod4, halo, etc.

careful

My problem is with C4, not with the sab halloween get up. I played against so many sabs I can now spot the disguise from a mile away without even running my crosshairs over them. I don't even really notice the lights off, but they just always look the same and no one really plays the basic rifleman class. I'll admit at the beginning I did think disguise was cheap.

Yeah, I guess you can spot C4 on the ground if you look really carefully, but even then it's almost impossible to shoot:

commish said:

When it's in a doorway frame no one will spot it and it's definitely a cheap kill. When there's a bunch of sabs planting C4 on the other team, it's a pain in the ass to inspect each doorway or lob grenades in the stairs or whatnot. It should really be more visible or emit a colour trail of some sort.

.GqueB.

Banned
TheFatOne said:
To add to your list I would love to play medic but health packs are completely useless. No one on my team can ever spot one when I throw one down.

Edit: Making a new post
I only use them for myself really. I rarely give them to teammates. Though I try. But sitting around yelling "its there!" then shooting at it so I can show them where it is usually leads to death.

commish

TheFatOne said:
One clear example to me is pyrrhus rise. The best sniping spot is at the ISA base. That spot is such bullshit that it makes me look like a crazy good sniper.

Ooo I need to get my sniper badge still (I have 0). Maybe I'll try this spot for some easy kills/badges.

raYne

commish said:
Most maps do. It's so bad that, if I'm playing without the group, I'll swap factions based on which map comes up in rotation.

Dirtbag

Blood Gratch - S&D and Assasination. Advantage ISA.
Phyrus ride - S&D. Advantage ISA. (Their base is a much better sniper perch as well).
V. Hammer - S&D. Advantage to whichever team defends the towers in the big courtyard area. Much harder to stop advances to the back towers. Can't remember which faction gets those.
Tharis Depot - S&D HUGE Advantage ISA. Covering outside vs. indoors is much easier.
Radec Academy - S&D Advantage ISA. Helghast plant is more exposed from like 270degrees.
Assassination / Capture and Hold, advantage Helghast (the library has more cover then the opposite film room).

commish

.GqueB. said:
I only use them for myself really. I rarely give them to teammates. Though I try. But sitting around yelling "its there!" then shooting at it so I can show them where it is usually leads to death.

Oh I have a huge problem with blood packs. In almost every game, I love to be the healer/medic, so I thought the medic class was for me. But it's so f'ing hard to give people blood packs! 99% of the time they don't see them (make them glow green or something, PLEASE). I've started to use blood packs as my sab secondary, and it's great. Always being at full health gives you SUCH an advantage in 1 on 1 firefights.

TheFatOne

commish said:
Ooo I need to get my sniper badge still (I have 0). Maybe I'll try this spot for some easy kills/badges.

Might be tough if you play against other snipers since you dont have 5x zoom and spot and mark, but it should be doable. I can show you it next time I'm online. Its so simple just head upstairs on the main base as ISA.

Dirtbag said:
Phyrus ride - S&D. Advantage ISA. (Their base is a much better sniper perch as well).
V. Hammer - S&D. Advantage to whichever team defends the towers in the big courtyard area. Much harder to stop advances to the back towers. Can't remember which faction gets those.
Tharis Depot - S&D HUGE Advantage ISA. Covering outside vs. indoors is much easier.

Not to mention that if you control the upper part and repair the ammo box you can lob grenades/rockets forever.

.GqueB.

Banned
commish said:
Which maps do you feel have a faction advantage?
I think it has a lot to do with Search and destroy. For some ODD reason, in some maps the targets are spread far apart and in others they are close. So one team ends up having one area to defend and in another they end up having to split up. I dont get that decision.

commish

Dirtbag said:
Radec Academy - S&D Advantage ISA. Helghast plant is more exposed from like 270degrees.

No wonder so many people always pick ISA. I hate S&D.

TheFatOne

I think they should have done what Resistance 2 does for medics an AOE(area of effect) type thing. More people would use medics if it was like that.

EDIT: I just think that GG didn't think S&D placements enough. It seems like Helghast always get the shaft on S&D.

-viper-

Banned
.GqueB. said:
ITS HALO!!!

Exactly.

Halo and COD = Established franchises and appeal to the casual fan. Easy to pick up and play. Auto-aim and no recoil!

Killzone 2 = Not the best of reputations on the PS2 and is clearly not a casual friendly game. Everyone was complaining about the bloody controls (i.e. the 'weight') on launch! 'OH NOES ITS SLUGGISH. ITZ SLOW'

commish

TheFatOne said:
Might be tough if you play against other snipers since you dont have 5x zoom and spot and mark, but it should be doable. I can show you it next time I'm online. Its so simple just head upstairs on the main base as ISA.

Yeah, usually that's what slows me down. Other snipers. I need to just go on one of those "long game" servers and tough it out. I am without question the worst sniper in the game, and then when I see my team losing, I can't stand it so I switch to another class to better help out. I really want those badges tho. Without the 5x zoom, maybe I should avoid PR for now.

test_account

XP-39C²
commish said:
Ye, it is true what you say, but so far there arent really any indications that shows that you cant play Killzone 2 online, at least in my opinion. I mean, sure, the weekly ranking stats have been gone from each week since Killzone 2 first launched, and this could be an indication that many people are quitting on playing Killzone 2, but there are always easy to find servers to play on, so there is no problem to play Killzone 2 online, at least after my experience. I would say that it is first when there will be relatively difficult to find servers to play on that there are any indications that the KZ2 community might die.

And even if the weekly ranking stats have gone down for week after week, it is not like the numbers of weekly players are at around 5,000 or something, it were about 240,000 players last week.

I just tried to play Resistance 1 online just to see if people were still playing it. I chose ranked games, then free-for-all games (deathmatch), and the auto matching started. It didnt really take long before i was matched up with other players to play with.

If a nearly 2.5 year old FPS game like Resistance 1 still have players who play online, then i dont think anyone need to worry about that it will be difficulty to play Killzone 2 online anytime soon :)

TheFatOne

commish said:
Yeah, usually that's what slows me down. Other snipers. I need to just go on one of those "long game" servers and tough it out. I am without question the worst sniper in the game, and then when I see my team losing, I can't stand it so I switch to another class to better help out. I really want those badges tho. Without the 5x zoom, maybe I should avoid PR for now.

Next time I'm on hit me up and I will help you. We can play PR and I can try and get rid of the snipers for you. PSN ID Lyulf

-viper-

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Assassination / Capture and Hold, advantage Helghast (the library has more cover then the opposite film room).
meh.

I usually choose Helghast and I win more games with Helghast.

commish

test_account said:
Ye, it is true what you say, but so far there arent really any indications that shows that you cant play Killzone 2 online, at least in my opinion. I mean, sure, the weekly ranking stats have been gone from each week since Killzone 2 first launched, and this could be an indication that many people are quitting on playing Killzone 2, but there are always easy to find servers to play on, so there is no problem to play Killzone 2 online, at least after my experience. I would say that it is first when there will be relatively difficult to find servers to play on that there are any indications that the KZ2 community might die.

And even if the weekly ranking stats have gone down for week after week, it is not like the numbers of weekly players are at around 5,000 or something, it were about 240,000 players last week.

I just tried to play Resistance 1 online just to see if people were still playing it. I chose ranked games, then free-for-all games (deathmatch), and the auto matching started. It didnt really take long before i was matched up with other players to play with.

If a nearly 2.5 year old FPS game like Resistance 1 still have players who play online, then i dont think anyone need to worry about that it will be difficulty to play Killzone 2 online anytime soon :)

Yeah, I agree with you. There will always be enough for some games. All I really need is 15 other people to play against, not 800,000. You know what I mean :)

raYne

.GqueB. said:
I think it has a lot to do with Search and destroy. For some ODD reason, in some maps the targets are spread far apart and in others they are close. So one team ends up having one area to defend and in another they end up having to split up. I dont get that decision.
It's not mainly just S&D. Some maps are better for one side than the other when it comes to anything defensive. Which includes Capture & Hold and Assassination. And when it comes to Bodycount, you can pretty much dominate once you take certain key spots on a map. Which, more often than not, is placement biased towards one team.

Looking back, it's weird hearing all the pre-release MP reports about how the "maps are well laid out" or "great map blalance" etc, when it's totally not the case.

-viper- said:
meh.

It's not the fact that the other side can't win, it's that they're at an automatic disadvantage based on the side they're on.

Most disadvantages can be remedied with a good Tactician (and people who actually know how to play), but we know how that goes.

test_account

XP-39C²
TheFatOne said:
Not to mention that if you control the upper part and repair the ammo box you can lob grenades/rockets forever.
If you see that the enemy is up there, then there arent really any big problems on getting up there and take them out (or at least try to :)), at least in my opinon :) It might be harder if they have deployed a spawn point up there though.

Dirtbag

-viper- said:
meh.

Well MOST of it is still dependent on your team, but if all things were somehow equal it's pretty clear there are much easier areas to defend/attack that seems to fall onto the ISA's favor.

Raist

Banned
Dirtbag said:

Huh, no.

-viper-

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Well MOST of it is still dependent on your team, but if all things were somehow equal it's pretty clear there are much easier areas to defend/attack that seems to fall onto the ISA's favor.
There you go then; it's dependent on your team.

TheFatOne

test_account said:
If you see that the enemy is up there, then there arent really any big problems on getting up there and take them out (or at least try to :)), at least in my opinon :) It might be harder if they have deployed a spawn point up there though.

All you need is a tact + boost and an assault + repair. Then its game set match one usually.

commish

TheFatOne said:
Next time I'm on hit me up and I will help you. We can play PR and I can try and get rid of the snipers for you. PSN ID Lyulf

Ohhh, Lyulf. I never know anyone's name when their gaf name and their PSN names are different. I'm tigerheli. I have half a mind to just run around and use the sniper gun as a shotgun... like when there's two spawn nades side by side, surely I can spawn and run up to someone and shoot them in the chest, right?! ;)

Top Bottom