• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I was playing the demo (Again...) and my AI buddies blowed up one of the tanks!
First time i saw it

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
.GqueB. said:
I really wish gamers would come to the rather obvious blatant understanding that in gaming ads truly mean shit. Its a completely different monster than movies and TGIFridays talking about what specials they have. I can name you plenty of games that sold well last year with barely any memorable advertising:

MGS4
Fable2

And plenty of games that sold like shite despite advertising:

Resistance2
Little big planet
There's some truth to this, but I'm really not sure if a game like LBP could have ever sold anywhere near 1M+, if it didn't have as much good advertising as it did. On the other hand, if SCE really felt their games would sell that much better with more advertising, they'd start cutting game budgets and putting that money into advertising instead. I guess they are either happy with how their wares are selling considering money spent developing them, or simply think they wouldn't get that much more sales even if they were advertising everything more aggressively. I personally think their bigger problem is that they for the most part just can't find good advertising language this gen, more than the volume of their ads. Their LBP ads were good, but others not really that much.

-viper-

Banned
.GqueB. said:
I really wish gamers would come to the rather obvious blatant understanding that in gaming ads truly mean shit. Its a completely different monster than movies and TGIFridays talking about what specials they have. I can name you plenty of games that sold well last year with barely any memorable advertising:

MGS4
Fable2

And plenty of games that sold like shite despite advertising:

Resistance2
Little big planet

Gamers are more in the know that most consumers are. We dont really make blind buys which is what advertising hopes to accomplish. Everyone who wants Killzone 2 already knows theyre getting it and everyone who doesnt want it isnt getting it and ads wont make them change their minds and everyone who doesnt know about the game (somehow) will be told by people like you and me. This is what happens with almost all next gen games which is why they are SO front loaded.

Advertising on g4 and the like is pointless because that audience already knows about the game and advertising on websites also mean shite beacuse if people are going to websites then they probably already know about the game. So whats left? Advertise during lost?

And where the HELL are you people buying this game??!!??!?
You are wrong about MGS4. I've seen plenty of good MGS4 ads which no doubt would have caught the attention of many PS3 owners in the UK.

.GqueB.

Banned
Lord Error said:
There's some truth to this, but I'm really not sure if a game like LBP could have ever sold anywhere near 1M+, if it didn't have as much good advertising as it did. On the other hand, if SCE really felt their games would sell that much better with more advertising, they'd start cutting game budgets and putting that money into advertising instead. I guess they are either happy with how their wares are selling considering money spent developing them, or simply think they wouldn't get that much more sales even if they were advertising everything more aggressively. I personally think their bigger problem is that they for the most part just can't find good advertising language this gen, more than the volume of their ads. Their LBP ads were good, but others not really that much.
I personally feel that ads arent enough these days in ANY medium. You cant just let people know things are available to them, you have to give them a reason to get caught up in the experience.

Epic did a good job of this with Gears. "Emergence day". They made such a big fuss about it. Yea that mad world trailer was amazing but I doubt it sold THAT many games. It just got people further wrapped up in the world that they were creating.

Its all about getting people wrapped up in the experience before the game even drops. Look at other mediums. Look at Lost and Cloverfield. Look at the Dark knight. All those viral videos and made up websites about made up companies with crazy back story. THIS is what people respond to now. Not some ad on tv they probably check their email while its playing anyways. And KZ2's back story is PERFECT for something like this.

Sony is just bad at making their games known. Theyre so timid and unconfident it seems. Too modest. Cliff is a douchebag but his attitude is so present in his games and thats partly why they sell. That game just screams "buy me you fucker, you love me".

Theres no denying this.

I can't stop playing the demo...it's all that getting me through 'till the game's release.

On a side note, it's awesome to see so many people support this game. I remember I was really excited ever since they showed the first gameplay footage, yet a lot of people were still skeptical. All I can say is "I told you so."

GodofWine

momolicious said:
Why are people getting riled up because they did not see the killzone 2 ads? The game is coming out soon anyways.

Cause Sony could make a real real impact...could be "Hey, we got the best shooter", "Hey, we got the best graphics", "Hey we got the best sound", "Hey, its time to pony up for a PS3 cause its go time (finally)"....and not just here comes a really really good game current PS3 owners are gonna gobble up.

Either way, Im gonna gobble it up...EAST SIDE GAF CLAN FOR LIFE B*TCHES!!!

GodofWine said:
Cause Sony could make a real real impact...could be "Hey, we got the best shooter", "Hey, we got the best graphics", "Hey we got the best sound", "Hey, its time to pony up for a PS3 cause its go time (finally)"....and not just here comes a really really good game current PS3 owners are gonna gobble up.

Either way, Im gonna gobble it up...EAST SIDE GAF CLAN FOR LIFE B*TCHES!!!
Did you guys really expect anything less of Sony? I'm sure that they will start the ads sometime next week, and we will see 1 or 2 a day on Comedy Central or Cartoon Network. Totally reaching the audience that they need.

I mean seriously, Take Two are showing commercials and having billboards for a friggen downloadable expansion. Sony has one of the best shooters possibly ever made, and they are not going to market it, and then wonder why it only sold a millions copies for the whole year.

tass0

Banned
momolicious said:
Why are people getting riled up because they did not see the killzone 2 ads? The game is coming out soon anyways.

Because these "casual" gamers which take up a large margin of the gaming market will not even know that this game exists so the game will not receive the sales it deserves like all major PS3 titles

Arnie

Ploid 3.0 said:
PS3 download links.
PS3_Triangle.png
> File > Save target

Search & Destroy On Helghan Industries Map
Search & Retrieve And Bodycount On Salamun Market Map
Search & Retrieve And Search & Destroy On Corinth Crossing
Search & Retrieve And Assassination On Salamun Market Map

I edited these links with the MP4 url. Testing to see if I can download on my ps3.
You sir = God

Convinced a few friends to buy the title. There more like the casual PS3 gamers, and dont really know whats coming out. I dont expect there to be any advertising where i live lol, down in Tasmania, so I do it myself haha.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
pseudocaesar said:
Convinced a few friends to buy the title. There more like the casual PS3 gamers, and dont really know whats coming out. I dont expect there to be any advertising where i live lol, down in Tasmania, so I do it myself haha.

Viral!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Bugnology said:
I used EVERYTHING, rockets+grenades+bullets then the tank goes in pieces ;)

Tanks only take two or three rockets. Wait do you mean in the transports in the demo or the tanks in the actual game. I'm talking about the end of level one with the insane
tank rush in the storm drain basin you have to survive through.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
.GqueB. said:
Sony is just bad at making their games known. Theyre so timid and unconfident it seems7.
This is very true. I mean, it sounds silly to say that they are modest when they were so arrogant about the sales during PS2 days, but talking from the US perspective, they were always pretty bad at making some real grassroots support for their games, and making them really known, even then when the gaming world seemingly belonged to them. It's only that they had the power of numbers, so even if 1% of PS2 owners bought something, it was great - not to mention they relied on 3rd parties more than anything.

I mean we are talking about the company that managed to only sell about 500K copies of first GoW in the first month in the US. God of War, the damn game was made to sell itself, and it was on a console that at the time probably had 30+M install base in US alone.

Then again, maybe they are just happy with the sales vs. the games' budgets, and don't want to chip away from games' budgets to fund more/better advertising.

WTFing

Banned
jetjevons said:
Tanks only take two or three rockets. Wait do you mean in the transports in the demo or the tanks in the actual game. I'm talking about the end of level one with the insane
tank rush in the storm drain basin you have to survive through.
I'm talking about the demo; 'transports' like you said. I think Dante was asking about it too.

Meh Peepz a little Easter Egg on the Gamestop page :lol
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270110

Pre-order Killzone 2 by February the 26th at 11am CST with overnight shipping and get guaranteed delivery on the street date of February the 27th! If your product does not arrive on the street date, we will fully refund your shipping charge. Continental United States only. Must have Overnight Service available in your area. Offer void if you are unable to accept a delivery that was attempted. Not responsible for orders delayed due to inclement weather, incorrect address, credit card information or weapon malfunctions.

:lol :lol

beast786

Blu_LED said:
Where did you get this rumor from?

I got an automated call from my local Gamestop where i had the game reserved.

EDIT: They are also bunch of idiots. They have made a similar mistake before , the store is close right now, so i cant confimred it. :(

I've also been playing the demo a lot...

but that's because my ps3 has identity issues and won't read any blu-ray discs.

I'll have to get it fixed before the 27th.

careful

pseudocaesar said:
Yeah, I convinced 10 guys at work to get it! :lol I should get a cut Sony...

TEH-CJ

Banned
Good news guys i called my loacal EB games and they said to call back tomorrow to see if anything has changed. They released street fighter early and he said there is a possibility that killzone 2 could also release on the 20th.
i'll keep you guys updated.

sydney - Australia btw

TEH-CJ said:
Good news guys i called my loacal EB games and they said to call back tomorrow to see if anything has changed. They released street fighter early and he said there is a possibility that killzone 2 could also release on the 20th.
i'll keep you guys updated.

sydney - Australia btw
:(

Whatever. I need the time to beat Killzone 1 and Liberation again.

WTFing

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Ok, my dumb ass friend just called me asking about Fear... doesn't know a damn thing about killzone 2. Bravo Sony.
But now its different, we gotta stay sober
Yo, communicate, StarTAC, motorola
Keep it on the hush hush, don't talk to much
Thugged out entertainment, you know we touch...
300-motorola-StarTAC-130.jpg

what what?

Top Bottom