• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I don't have any interest in MAG, from the little we know about it. Like I mentioned before the next CoD is going to be the big one to test the longevity of KZ2. I know a lot of us that are getting Killzone will be picking that up.

It's all about the community, like the Halo community, if the Killzone 2 community believes this is THE online game they want to play, they wouldn't give a rat's ass about another COD game and the community would be much more resistant to another COD game.

Kittonwy

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
TTP already got most of the trophies :lol

I'm so fucked when I go online after I finally get my game from Amazon in the middle of March.

Why? It's not like he has super armor or extra-damage dealing bullets, you can still take your standard rifle and take him down if you have the skills, the MP is extremely balanced in this way, the extra badges you earn lets you be more creative but in a one-on-one encounter it's very much skill-based and not exp-based or perk-based.

EazyB

Banned
I don't understand what's so wrong about buying other games. If Killzone 2 is as good as a lot of you say it is than you won't have to tell yourself to stick with it. I'm as big of a Halo 3 player as they come (5k+ games to date) yet I also play CoD on occasion and can't wait to get my hands on KZ2.

Halo doesn't have the popularity and community is has because people sat around thinking "I'm not going to pick up any other games because I want Halo to be popular." It's been as popular because of strong marketing, delivering in the gameplay department, and most of all the continued support of Bungie through playlist updates and DLC. CoD4 and WaW show up in the top of XBL activity list a bunch yet people always find their way back to Halo because it delivers, and for no other reason.

It seems a lot of you KZ2 diehards are getting worried about KZ2 success, and while Sony has been dropping the ball in regards to marketing, I really don't think you guys need to freak out. The hype has been incredible and based on the pre-order numbers it seems like it'll do well enough at retail to be profitable and ensure a sequel. If the majority of the PS3 playerbase moves on when MAG or MW2 comes out than it's only GG's fault for not making a game with enough replay value or not supporting it enough after the release.

It has nothing to do with the community "believing" in the game, it's about the game and its developer delivering a kickass game that's worth playing and stand the test of time.

.GqueB.

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It has alot to do with the community as well, say what you will about the Halo community, they believe in their franchise strongly and they treat it like their number one shooter, some in the PS3 community on the other hand tends to second-guess everything constantly and can't seem to rally behind one product, some people also tend play a lot of second-tier shooters that they can't even make up their own mind which shooter to stick to.

Very often I see people recommending a shit-ton of games to other people, there is no focus, most often people don't even have a clear idea which ONE game to recommend to their friends, it's like "oh get warhawk, oh get SOCOM, oh get Killzone 2, oh get COD4...", they can't even name ONE game in each genre to recommend to people, IF this is the game you believe to be the best game on the system, tell your friends to get it, get your friends to play it. Don't tell people to get Killzone 2 and then go "oh you should get MGS4 too, oh you should get warhawk too" when they ask you to recommend to them ONE game to buy.
I think that has a lot to do with the fact that PS3 owners make attempts (even subconsciously) to kill the "PS3 has no games" stigma that plagues the system. Its kind of a reflex. Whenever someone asks me for recommendations I always have a list thats about 4 or 5 games long that I do stand firmly behind but its never really focused. People just find it odd to name just ONE game.

Where as if someone asks the same question in regards to the 360 they would feel completely comfortable just saying Gears or Halo because theyre such big names and speak for themselves. Meanwhile I could just as easily recommend Left4Dead, Crackdown, and Fable (maybe) as well because I had just as much fun with those games. So yea you have a point.

Just tell everyone to get Killzone from now on, lol.

Kittonwy

Banned
.GqueB. said:
I think that has a lot to do with the fact that PS3 owners make attempts (even subconsciously) to kill the "PS3 has no games" stigma that plagues the system. Its kind of a reflex. Whenever someone asks me for recommendations I always have a list thats about 4 or 5 games long that I do stand firmly behind but its never really focused. People just find it odd to name just ONE game.

Where as if someone asks the same question in regards to the 360 they would feel completely comfortable just saying Gears or Halo because theyre such big names and speak for themselves. Meanwhile I could just as easily recommend Left4Dead, Crackdown, and Fable (maybe) as well because I had just as much fun with those games. So yea you have a point.

Just tell everyone to get Killzone from now on, lol.

That's right, everybody should buy Killzone 2 and play it online.
angry.gif

Loudninja said:
Why in the middle of March?

From my pre order:

Not Yet Shipped:
1 item - delivery estimate: March 11, 2009 - March 17, 2009

Kittonwy said:
Why? It's not like he has super armor or extra-damage dealing bullets, you can still take your standard rifle and take him down if you have the skills, the MP is extremely balanced in this way, the extra badges you earn lets you be more creative but in a one-on-one encounter it's very much skill-based and not exp-based or perk-based.

I know, I was in the beta, but by the time I get my game there'll be plenty of grenade launchers around, just like late in the beta.

Loudninja

AranhaHunter said:
From my pre order:

Not Yet Shipped:
1 item - delivery estimate: March 11, 2009 - March 17, 2009

I know, I was in the beta, but by the time I get my game there'll be plenty of grenade launchers around, just like late in the beta.

Why don't you canceled?

Ploid 3.0

AranhaHunter said:
Cause it's $53 shipped.

How did you get that deal? Mine is $60 shipped, I took the slow free shipping. I'm in no rush to get the game, and I have to travel to other cities to check if the game is there. When I buy near release date (within a month) games I'm usually on a wild goose chase when it comes to finding the games. I can deal with a few days later now.

My amazon shipping estimate is March 3, 2009 - March 4, 2009

Midas

So, today I saw an ad for Killzone 2 at a bus stop. I think that's the first time I see an ad for a PlayStation 3 game in that manner.

Demographic a good placement, in Stockholm where a lot of students live. Even though they probably not can afford a PS3 with the money they get each month as a university student. :)

EazyB

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
How did you get that deal? Mine is $60 shipped, I took the slow free shipping. I'm in no rush to get the game, and I have to travel to other cities to check if the game is there. When I buy near release date (within a month) games I'm usually on a wild goose chase when it comes to finding the games. I can deal with a few days later now.

Here's my Amazon order:

Shipping estimate for these items: March 3, 2009 - March 4, 2009
1 "Killzone 2"
Video Game; $56.99

Got the $5 off thing and then put the code in for another $5 off. I'm debating on whether or not to pay the extra $5 to get the game the day it's released.

Smokey said:
Willing to wait until the middle of the next month to save $10..?

pseudocaesar said:
Why wait the extra few weeks to save 7 dollars. What a pittance.

Usually I'll wait until the game is $30 or less. For instance Fallout 3 and Resistance 2, I want to buy them, but not until they are 30 bucks.

Ploid 3.0 said:

When I pre ordered mine it was 56.99 and I used the KZ2SAVE5 code where it gave me a $5 discount, don't know if that coupon is still valid though.

dallow_bg said:
$53 from Amazon and free release date delivery since I have prime. :)

I'm thinking of doing the trial to get it on release day, but knowing me I'll forget to cancel afterwards, how much do you pay for prime anyways?

deepbrown

rexor0717 said:
If they released the game on the 20th...
I will buy two copies! (Not really) But still, the game is ready, make it happen Sony!
No! They have to get a big advertising campaign done first. Not after like LBP.

bigswords

rexor0717 said:
If they released the game on the 20th...
I will buy two copies! (Not really) But still, the game is ready, make it happen Sony!

Wat WHAT what? Is there talks or rumblings of an eariler release?

People stick to games all the time, Halo and COD4 fanboys alike. When they play a game so fun everything else isn't up to par. My case with Gears 2, I enjoyed Uncharted's action and pace so much on Crushing that I quit playing Gears 2 after the convoy level.

Eccocid

ITS OUT IN HERE!

Saw it at several import shops in Istanbul-Turkey!!!
But couldn't buy it have to wait for paycheck in march :(

jorma

is now taking requests
Always-honest said:
is there an exact reason for NOT releasing the game today?

Has the street date been broken in any EU or NA countries? I'm guessing that they'd start shipping if they see that people are cancelling preorders in order to buy from wherever the early copies are sold.

Eccocid

jorma said:
Has the street date been broken in any EU or NA countries? I'm guessing that they'd start shipping if they see that people are cancelling preorders in order to buy from wherever the early copies are sold.

Yes its broken in here...there were around 20 copies in one shop near my office and they are al US versions.

AranhaHunter said:
I'm thinking of doing the trial to get it on release day, but knowing me I'll forget to cancel afterwards, how much do you pay for prime anyways?

It's $80 a year for Prime, personally it's worth it for me. About the trial, after you start it up, if you go to your account settings, you can instantly set it to NOT renew prime after it has expired, I'd know since I've used 2 trials of prime before finally caving and subscribing to the service.

Zeliard

EazyB said:
I don't understand what's so wrong about buying other games. If Killzone 2 is as good as a lot of you say it is than you won't have to tell yourself to stick with it. I'm as big of a Halo 3 player as they come (5k+ games to date) yet I also play CoD on occasion and can't wait to get my hands on KZ2.

Halo doesn't have the popularity and community is has because people sat around thinking "I'm not going to pick up any other games because I want Halo to be popular." It's been as popular because of strong marketing, delivering in the gameplay department, and most of all the continued support of Bungie through playlist updates and DLC. CoD4 and WaW show up in the top of XBL activity list a bunch yet people always find their way back to Halo because it delivers, and for no other reason.

It seems a lot of you KZ2 diehards are getting worried about KZ2 success, and while Sony has been dropping the ball in regards to marketing, I really don't think you guys need to freak out. The hype has been incredible and based on the pre-order numbers it seems like it'll do well enough at retail to be profitable and ensure a sequel. If the majority of the PS3 playerbase moves on when MAG or MW2 comes out than it's only GG's fault for not making a game with enough replay value or not supporting it enough after the release.

It has nothing to do with the community "believing" in the game, it's about the game and its developer delivering a kickass game that's worth playing and stand the test of time.

You can make the greatest game around, but people won't play it if they don't know it exists. That's why marketing is crucial. Halo is hugely popular partly because its name and Master Chief design are plastered on everything from lunchboxes to billboards.

Cruzader

Banned
Everyone that has pre-ordered on AMAZON, if you havent, get PRIME trial. With that you get release date delivery. Its free and you can set it up to not renew under your account options. Best deal on the net to date!!

Cruzader

Banned
Flunkie said:
"Retro maps from Killzone 1 will make their way into Killzone 2."

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Come ON Beachhead!

Where did you read that? And beachhead sucked btw. It was unbalanced plus the only reason ppls liked it was because it was grenade heaven like every other KZ map. Now the snowy llevel was sick.

One week left tomorrow. Not that I watch TV but from this thread I understand there is next to none PR. Seen som pictures in gamemagazines. but that aint enough. Come on Sony do something!

Flunkie

Banned
Cruzader said:
Where did you read that? And beachhead sucked btw. It was unbalanced plus the only reason ppls liked it was because it was grenade heaven like every other KZ map. Now the snowy llevel was sick.
It's not official, but there's a reason why I included so many S's.

Eccocid

jorma said:
Istanbul isn't EU though =)

as geographically? its on both asia and europe :) i live in Asian side and work on European side :p

But Sony in here is a branch of Sony EU if i am not mistaken. They were my client at my ex ad agency we were getting layouts and templates form Sony EU.

But as i said they KZ2 is out on import shops only. Mostly leaked US versions heh

andycapps

Cruzader said:
Everyone that has pre-ordered on AMAZON, if you havent, get PRIME trial. With that you get release date delivery. Its free and you can set it up to not renew under your account options. Best deal on the net to date!!

Is this only valid for this 1 time, or can you do it repeatedly?

F#A#Oo

Banned
I just watched all of that run through...through the whole campaign that someone linked a few pages back...

The ending is lame to say the least and a real cop out...one has to ask did GG even recruit any writers because the story is pretty much non-existent but makes you feel like your being lead to something of a great break through. Which never happens...

Straight to MP for me...:D

GodofWine

F#A#Oo said:
I just watched all of that run through...through the whole campaign that someone linked a few pages back...

The ending is lame to say the least and a real cop out...one has to ask did GG even recruit any writers because the story is pretty much non-existent but makes you feel like your being lead to something of a great break through. Which never happens...

Straight to MP for me...:D

Great...I was dying to here that....

10 days...then I bring it!
kip-with-sai.jpg

Top Bottom