• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

icechai

.GqueB. said:
I personally feel that ads arent enough these days in ANY medium. You cant just let people know things are available to them, you have to give them a reason to get caught up in the experience.

Epic did a good job of this with Gears. "Emergence day". They made such a big fuss about it. Yea that mad world trailer was amazing but I doubt it sold THAT many games. It just got people further wrapped up in the world that they were creating.

Its all about getting people wrapped up in the experience before the game even drops. Look at other mediums. Look at Lost and Cloverfield. Look at the Dark knight. All those viral videos and made up websites about made up companies with crazy back story. THIS is what people respond to now. Not some ad on tv they probably check their email while its playing anyways. And KZ2's back story is PERFECT for something like this.

Sony is just bad at making their games known. Theyre so timid and unconfident it seems. Too modest. Cliff is a douchebag but his attitude is so present in his games and thats partly why they sell. That game just screams "buy me you fucker, you love me".

Theres no denying this.

I find it interesting how you cited Lost, Cloverfield, and Dark Knight as examples. Those are probably some of the most marketed tv/film properties in the past few years. It begins on the viral level of course to get hardcore people excited, but then they start releasing proper ads (teasers) in theatres, tv, youtube/facebook, and other mediums which will air them. The whole experience as you call it was one giant ad campaign, and it paid off in dividends.

Sony's KZ2 coverage has been pretty horrible from a gamer's perspective, but that might be because they don't want to bring back the backlash from their CG target trailer back in E3. There really should have been teasers and stuff about the experience as you were talking about. They tried with some of the trailers at game shows (stuff at the end of the demo), but the exposure was pretty minimal. Many people still don't know anything big is coming from Sony in 2 weeks.

Also regarding games that have big advertising campaigns that sell well, all I have to say is...

Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Halo
Gears of War
Call of Duty

those games listed above went well beyond anything Sony has really promoted since the PS2 days. You mention Resistance 2 and LBP, but again, many casual gamers don't know what they are. Big billboards and posters were nearly nonexistent in NYC (you can tell the difference especially when GTA4 stuff is all over the place). I haven't seen a TV ad for LBP ever. Overall it just seems like Sony doesn't know how to market its games compared to other companies.

Ads may not be enough by themselves, but they help get the recognition out there, and in that regard KZ2 has failed in my eyes so far. 2 weeks to get a basically brand new franchise out to the eyes of the casual gamer might not be enough for them to break 3 mil (which I believe this game could have done). Then again maybe i'll eat my words if 3-4 mil is hit in 2 weeks :p

hmm, perhaps you guys work at sony.

Can see the marketing team meeting now

Suit #1 - Recognition of Killzone 2 with general consumers is extremely low!!!

Suit #2(gaf poster) - Have they not seen the advertisements on home!?!

Suit #3 (gaf poster #2) - Yea, or what about all the stories we've been running on our blog and the pictures on the official playstation website!?!

Suit #4 (Hoffman) - Relax guys, if we all call our friends and tell them about KZ2, PS3 sales will overtake the Wii

Suit #1 - I quit.

WTFing

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
I've already told him about the game, but my word of mouth isn't the same as seeing a intriguing visual presentation of the game.
You better be ready for the the EU/US mp games ;)

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
You know what would've been great marketing? Making a demo available to any and every person at least a month out or, hell, an OPEN multiplayer beta.

Also, would some fun viral work kill your ad peeps, Sony?

vpance

Definitely should've had more viral stuff out there at least a month in advance. But if that story about 1 million preorders in Euroland and a million at Gamestop is true (doubting this one) then it doesn't matter that much I guess.

WTFing

Banned
vpance said:
Definitely should've had more viral stuff out there at least a month in advance. But if that story about 1 million preorders in Euroland and a million at Gamestop is true (doubting this one) then it doesn't matter that much I guess.
I preordered 500K KZ2 copies, don't worry. If it's not enough I'll preorder 500k more.
;)

Boulayman

I am lost here what's going on ^^ Rumour of the game's early release but then TTP gets all excited for some reason and i don't think it's because of that rumour since he has already played the game :)

rexor0717

Boulayman said:
I am lost here what's going on ^^ Rumour of the game's early release but then TTP gets all excited for some reason and i don't think it's because of that rumour since he has already played the game :)
I'm guessing the servers are up. Guessing...

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
BOLD TEXT AND SHOUTING!

aca9ll.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Boulayman said:

I just completed it on Elite difficulty, that is all. ;)

I'd love to see the game released earlier tho, since that would mean servers would be up earlier as well. Some stores here have received the game already but they are not selling it yet.

TTP said:

I'd love to see the game released earlier tho, since that would mean servers would be up earlier as well. Some stores here have received the game already but they are not selling it yet.
Congratulations.

I bow down to you until I get my hands on this game and beat Elite difficulty myself :D

.GqueB.

Banned
icechai said:
I find it interesting how you cited Lost, Cloverfield, and Dark Knight as examples. Those are probably some of the most marketed tv/film properties in the past few years. It begins on the viral level of course to get hardcore people excited, but then they start releasing proper ads (teasers) in theatres, tv, youtube/facebook, and other mediums which will air them. The whole experience as you call it was one giant ad campaign, and it paid off in dividends.

Sony's KZ2 coverage has been pretty horrible from a gamer's perspective, but that might be because they don't want to bring back the backlash from their CG target trailer back in E3. There really should have been teasers and stuff about the experience as you were talking about. They tried with some of the trailers at game shows (stuff at the end of the demo), but the exposure was pretty minimal. Many people still don't know anything big is coming from Sony in 2 weeks.

Also regarding games that have big advertising campaigns that sell well, all I have to say is...

Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Halo
Gears of War
Call of Duty

those games listed above went well beyond anything Sony has really promoted since the PS2 days. You mention Resistance 2 and LBP, but again, many casual gamers don't know what they are. Big billboards and posters were nearly nonexistent in NYC (you can tell the difference especially when GTA4 stuff is all over the place). I haven't seen a TV ad for LBP ever. Overall it just seems like Sony doesn't know how to market its games compared to other companies.

Ads may not be enough by themselves, but they help get the recognition out there, and in that regard KZ2 has failed in my eyes so far. 2 weeks to get a basically brand new franchise out to the eyes of the casual gamer might not be enough for them to break 3 mil (which I believe this game could have done). Then again maybe i'll eat my words if 3-4 mil is hit in 2 weeks :p
You pretty much agreed with my point. Starts at a viral level, then trickles into proper ads. Sony has failed to do this.

I was just taking issue with people saying "where are the tv ads". That really isnt all it takes and sony has dropped the ball. We seem to be in agreement here. But I also made the other point where I said games sell just as well sometimes with little advertising push (ie: Fable 2). Gaming is just a different monster and we cant even begin to understand marketing for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesnt. We cant fully blame sony for not understanding it.

I still dont understand how the hell Assassins Creed sold so damn much. Most people say it was because of Jade Raymond. I dont buy that.

Boulayman

TTP said:

Congratulations !

I heard talk of some sort of secret code for the Killzone 2 MP

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?p=3862755#post3862755

But it seems it was useless since there's nobody online or something like that

Anyway, it seems the servers will be up by the end of the week for you guys ^^

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Boulayman said:
Congratulations !

I heard talk of some sort of secret code for the Killzone 2 MP

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?p=3862755#post3862755

But it seems it was useless since there's nobody online or something like that

Anyway, it seems the servers will be up by the end of the week for you guys ^^

The code he is referring to is probably the button presses combination that allows you to get 50xp every time you execute it during a MP match. But yeah, that only works with the review code. It was added so reviewers could rank up quickly and unlock the various classes.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Except the people who care about the ads for this game aren't doing so because they care how much money Sony make, but how successful the game is. I sure as hell don't want my favorite online game to be a ghost town a few months after launch, or when the next CoD comes out.

And how is Sony advertising their game taking more money from me? How is advertising a game the same as DLC? What? *mind boggles*

It's not going to be a ghost town, because the online is more afw than anything else on the system by fucking light-years, you know this and I know this, and most of the people who have played the MP beta know this. The fact that you and I and everyone who are passionate about the game are playing the game constantly drives other people to get the game and play it because people see what their friends are playing online and they want to play what their friends are playing, if we go off and play whatever else that comes out and hop from one new release to another then obviously that's not going to help drive the community. If the community is strong and dedicated to the game, they won't give a shit about the next COD and you don't have to worry about people deserting the game for COD or some other shooter.
Indifferent2.gif

Zen

Banned
I've got at least one of my friends getting it who wouldn't have otherwise. I know a co-worker who might not be getting it/doesn't know about it, but I'm going to convince him. The subject just hasn't come up yet.

Blu_LED said:
Did you guys really expect anything less of Sony? I'm sure that they will start the ads sometime next week, and we will see 1 or 2 a day on Comedy Central or Cartoon Network. Totally reaching the audience that they need.

I mean seriously, Take Two are showing commercials and having billboards for a friggen downloadable expansion. Sony has one of the best shooters possibly ever made, and they are not going to market it, and then wonder why it only sold a millions copies for the whole year.

Sadly this is about what I expected from Sony marketing, I just wish you could strap the head of SCE Marketing to a chair and force him and his people to acknowledge how much they suck.

GodofWine

I just bought a couple new speakers for this game....my current 5.1 system was outputting to only 2 surround speakers that were in the main speaker slots and through my tv...

Now I have a 4.0 capable system...must get a woofer and center channel...and then a 7.1 receiver and 2 more speakers...MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, the 2 speakers I got at 6.5 insignia bookshelfs, and they are pretty f'n stout (great low end, nice highs), highly recommend (88 bucks for the pair at best buy)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
beast786 said:
Rumor:

Floating around possible release date moved up to 2/20/09...

I am going to call my ebgames to confirm it.
I really hope so since I'll be out of town next weekend. They said that there will be a lot of KZ2 info on the PSBlog tomorrow, maybe we'll see a confirmation when that comes.

Kittonwy

Banned
.GqueB. said:
You pretty much agreed with my point. Starts at a viral level, then trickles into proper ads. Sony has failed to do this.

I was just taking issue with people saying "where are the tv ads". That really isnt all it takes and sony has dropped the ball. We seem to be in agreement here. But I also made the other point where I said games sell just as well sometimes with little advertising push (ie: Fable 2). Gaming is just a different monster and we cant even begin to understand marketing for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesnt. We cant fully blame sony for not understanding it.

I still dont understand how the hell Assassins Creed sold so damn much. Most people say it was because of Jade Raymond. I dont buy that.

It has alot to do with the community as well, say what you will about the Halo community, they believe in their franchise strongly and they treat it like their number one shooter, some in the PS3 community on the other hand tends to second-guess everything constantly and can't seem to rally behind one product, some people also tend play a lot of second-tier shooters that they can't even make up their own mind which shooter to stick to.

Very often I see people recommending a shit-ton of games to other people, there is no focus, most often people don't even have a clear idea which ONE game to recommend to their friends, it's like "oh get warhawk, oh get SOCOM, oh get Killzone 2, oh get COD4...", they can't even name ONE game in each genre to recommend to people, IF this is the game you believe to be the best game on the system, tell your friends to get it, get your friends to play it. Don't tell people to get Killzone 2 and then go "oh you should get MGS4 too, oh you should get warhawk too" when they ask you to recommend to them ONE game to buy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kittonwy said:
Very often I see people recommending a shit-ton of games to other people, there is no focus, most often people don't even have a clear idea which ONE game to recommend to their friends, it's like "oh get warhawk, oh get SOCOM, oh get Killzone 2, oh get COD4...", they can't even name ONE game in each genre to recommend to people, IF this is the game you believe to be the best game on the system, tell your friends to get it, get your friends to play it. Don't tell people to get Killzone 2 and then go "oh you should get MGS4 too, oh you should get warhawk too" when they ask you to recommend to them ONE game to buy.
That's a really good point. I'm pretty good about that though. As long as someone doesn't have an emphasis on online play, I just recommend Uncharted. Never fails.

Mik2121

Do you guys think Killzone will have a lot of online activity until the PS3 dies? As of now, COD4 still has a lot of activity (I can join any match I want instantly and it's always full of people) so I wonder if KZ2 will be the same..

I guess so? I will try and stick to it the whole time, skipping other FPS's unless there's something really huge out there (doubt it.. maybe just that MAG thing..)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mik2121 said:
Do you guys think Killzone will have a lot of online activity until the PS3 dies? As of now, COD4 still has a lot of activity (I can join any match I want instantly and it's always full of people) so I wonder if KZ2 will be the same..

I guess so? I will try and stick to it the whole time, skipping other FPS's unless there's something really huge out there (doubt it.. maybe just that MAG thing..)
It seems to have everything in place to be the next big online game. I think that the only thing that will cut into its numbers is CoD:MW2. If it lasts through that, it'll last until Killzone 3.

RoboPlato said:
That's a really good point. I'm pretty good about that though. As long as someone doesn't have an emphasis on online play, I just recommend Uncharted. Never fails.
You can never fail with Uncharted :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Mik2121 said:

It really depends on whether people like yourself will stick to the game or move on to the next big thing.

I for one will not be moving to MAG or any other game after this, this is it.
Indifferent2.gif

Mik2121

Kittonwy said:
It really depends on whether people like yourself will stick to the game or move on to the next big thing.

Indifferent2.gif
Well, I won't move to another game then
KlintIndifference.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kittonwy said:

Indifferent2.gif
I don't have any interest in MAG, from the little we know about it. Like I mentioned before the next CoD is going to be the big one to test the longevity of KZ2. I know a lot of us that are getting Killzone will be picking that up.

Flunkie

Banned
Dante said:
This would be the greatest news of all time :)
No, it would not. I have a huge paper due on the current release date. And I still haven't started on it. If it got released a day early..

Bulla564

Banned
Just wanted to drop in after a month-long ban for posting my fair and balanced opinion on the merits of the PS3. Moreover, I'm celebrating my pre-ban new tag and the arrival of KILLZONE 2.

After MGO, this is the game that will keep me online.

RoboPlato said:
I don't have any interest in MAG, from the little we know about it. Like I mentioned before the next CoD is going to be the big one to test the longevity of KZ2. I know a lot of us that are getting Killzone will be picking that up.
Not me.

Activision support is a joke.
They haven't fixed the major issues I have with the game, mainly host migration.

And I like my weapons and damage dealt with the weapons to be unique and have unique recoils.

I'm sticking to KZ2 when it comes out just as I'm sticking to CS (even though I quit long ago) and Halo series.

Quality online experiences is key for me.

Top Bottom