• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
test_account said:
Ye, i think that this would be pretty cool as well :) I actually thought about that myself not too long ago, if it was possible to create your own maps in Killzone 2 and how that would be like :)

That's so 2007 (see Halo 3).

2009 is all about no party system.

Am I doing this right Lince? :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
TTP said:

Ye, that is true, Halo 3 has a level maker indeed :) I have never tried it though, so i dont know how well it works. But i think it would be interesting to see how a level maker would work in Killzone 2 as well. Maybe someone could make some really cool levels :)

Is there a possibility that a party system might come to Killzone 2 by the way? I read something earlier in this thread that Guerilla Games was looking into it.

Lince

Banned
TTP said:

:lol

now seriously, I think you could come up with some nice layouts for new maps if we had such a tool for KZ2. I'd pay some good money for it indeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Rapping Granny said:
Halo3 didn't have a level maker, you just moved explosive barrels around.
Really? I thought you could place buildings etc. and perhaps raise the terrain etc. I thought so because i saw someone who made some Super Mario Bros 1 level or something in the Halo 3 level maker. I havnt tried the Halo 3 level maker myself though, and i havnt really read too much up on the level maker in Halo 3, so i dont know much about it :\

FabCam

I'm probably LTTP on this complaint but I've just seen the pricing for the maps. HOLY SHIT! $6 will translate to something ridiculous like £5 for just two maps. I'll still buy them because I love the game but i don't think nickel and diming fans of the game is a good idea in the long run.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
I think I can live without you too

Indifferent2.gif

are you going online tonight? let's try to find some linda señorita together and have some fun.

:lol "Have some fun" sounds like it could land us in jail.

Sure I'll play tonight!

test_account

XP-39C²
FabCam said:
I'm probably LTTP on this complaint but I've just seen the pricing for the maps. HOLY SHIT! $6 will translate to something ridiculous like £5 for just two maps. I'll still buy them because I love the game but i don't think nickel and diming fans of the game is a good idea in the long run.
I would guess that the map pack will cost £2.99 or £3.49 in the UK, but who knows :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FabCam said:

Everyone is nickeling and diming us! For some reason, I don't mind it much. I mean, I spend $6 on coffee every day. I'm the kind of customer companies love.

oneHeero

Lince said:
:lol

now seriously, I think you could come up with some nice layouts for new maps if we had such a tool for KZ2. I'd pay some good money for it indeed.
Than you'll complain about no support to help you figure how to use it, you'll complain about how it doesnt work the way you want it to, and so on.

Peace!

DMeisterJ

Banned
TTP said:
The whole MP *is* laggy. You just don't notice due to how "imprecise" the whole shooting mechanics are. Bullet spray gets so wide so fast you tend to assume you are missing target. But you are probably not.

Start an offline Skirmish and you'll notice a sensible difference in your effectiveness compared to online play.

I never played skirmish. If the whole thing is laggy, that's crazy.

Lince

Banned
oneHeero said:
Than you'll complain about no support to help you figure how to use it, you'll complain about how it doesnt work the way you want it to, and so on.

Peace!

:lol probably ! but I still want it !

peace

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Lince said:
can we expect maps with layouts similar to Salamun Market anytime soon?

Salamun Market is indeed one of my favorite maps because of its size and flow. Pyrrhus Rise is bigger but I don't think it flows that well, and even with boost it takes too long to get where you want to be.

Haven't played the Cruiser level much, but it seems fairly small (all indoor rooms and hallways) with not a lot of nooks and crannies to hide in. No long views, so snipers will be pretty useless here. Pretty symmetric too, and obvious connectivity. Saboteurs (Disguise + C4) and Engineers (Turrets + shotgun) will rule here. Assault will make this one really messy.

Train level is a bit more interesting. Two medium length trains with chokepoint crossings. Long views for snipers, but people will duck in and out of structures all of the time, plus snipers will have to worry about other snipers a lot. Oh, and avoid getting their heads smashed in by ceiling structures whizzing by.
Each train has medium-sized rooms and walkways, but its very linear structure (it's a train after all) means it does not have sneaky side paths you can use to flank the enemy, although it's not always that easy to cover all the chokepoint crossings.
Engineers will be useful for their shotgun and turrets. Saboteurs will be able to sneak by, as well as be very effective with C4. Boosting isn't very needed here, but rockets will cause mayhem. Tacticians very useful here. Easy to get disoriented here as both trains look alike, and when you're inside it's hard to tell what is the front or back of the train.
(The trains are actually static; the train tunnel is actually a giant rotating donut.)

Retro pack maps are both outdoors. One is fairly small, but really open. You can get hit from all sides. Rocket launchers don't feel useful/overpowered here (watch people online prove me wrong though). The MGs might also be a bit overpowering. But I really like this map. I think they're going to try to enforce 16 players here, but don't ask me how that'll work in a rotation with 32 player maps. I think it's still fun with 32 players but then again I don't really mind 32 players on the current maps, so ymmv.

The other one is medium sized, outdoors and also quite open, but with enough structures to hide behind. Snipers will like this one I think, although they're more easily reached than in Pyrrhus. Map will clearly favor rifles in one area, and shotguns/rockets in another. Air support drones might actually be useful here, although a well placed turret can easily reach them. There's also a really big gimmick in this one which wasn't in the original. I'll be interested in the reactions when it gets revealed.

So far nothing like Salamun Market, but there might be more Pyrrhus-sized maps in the works. Unfortunately, that seems to be far in the future. I guess it depends on the popularity of the DLC. At some point the multiplayer team will have to move on to the next project and not spend too much time on poor old flawed kz2.

KZObsessed

The retro map sounds more like my thing especially the open snipey one you describe. I hppe you guys aren't just gonna release 2-3 map packs and then move on :/

Large maps are what I want more than anything else.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TTP said:
The whole MP *is* laggy. You just don't notice due to how "imprecise" the whole shooting mechanics are. Bullet spray gets so wide so fast you tend to assume you are missing target. But you are probably not.

Start an offline Skirmish and you'll notice a sensible difference in your effectiveness compared to online play.

When we play multiplayer locally, there never are any double kills. They're an unfortunate "feature" from lag. Online, matches will vary a lot depending on the host and everybody connected to him. In general I've had some good games, others where double kills occured often, and some wtf games where it took ages for people to keel over and die.

I'll have to ask if they're working on a good solution for at least the next project (it does seem too much of a change/rewrite for kz2), and them using dedicated servers.

commish

Tempy said:
When we play multiplayer locally, there never are any double kills. They're an unfortunate "feature" from lag. Online, matches will vary a lot depending on the host and everybody connected to him. In general I've had some good games, others where double kills occured often, and some wtf games where it took ages for people to keel over and die.

I'll have to ask if they're working on a good solution for at least the next project (it does seem too much of a change/rewrite for kz2), and them using dedicated servers.

I think all of us understand that lag can cause issues, but KZ2 is the only game ever to have such a double kill issue. Someone else said it was an intended feature, like a "death trigger finger" of sorts, if that makes sense.

TheFatOne

I don't get why GG didn't go with dedicated servers in the first place. Arguably Sony's biggest title made a huge mistake not having dedicated servers.

TheFatOne

dwin45 said:
Was there a meltdown when we got charged $9.99 for 3 CoD4 maps?

I didn't play COD4. I really hated martyrdom so I quit playing it after the first week, but that is just some bullshit. Really 10$ for 3 maps is pretty terrible.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
test_account said:
Ye, i think that this would be pretty cool as well :) I actually thought about that myself not too long ago, if it was possible to create your own maps in Killzone 2 and how that would be like :)

EDIT: Making levels isnt necessarily limited to PC though, dosent some console games have level editors as well, like Halo 3? And of course Little Big Planet :) I guess that there are more games that supports user created level on PC games compared to console games though.

I'm fairly sure having a level editor for KZ2 is a no go. Although I love games where you can create content for it (LBP, PC games), making a KZ2 level is quite a complex undertaking; and a heavily simplified editor where you move premade structures around a premade environment is still more effort than it's worth (for us anyway).

In the early days (waaaaay back during the "Marines" demo) there was an UnrealED-like Level Editor, but we quickly moved to using Maya for the geometry and entity placement. Killzone 1 & Liberation required LUA scripting in a text editor, and KZ2 used a state machine based editor to facilitate LUA scripting. For our next project we're rewriting the state machine editor to make it more user friendly and less like coding. And there will be more user friendly functionality in Maya. But I highly doubt it'll ever be slick and wysiwyg enough to allow consumers to use.

careful

Tempy said:
Salamun Market is indeed one of my favorite maps because of its size and flow. Pyrrhus Rise is bigger but I don't think it flows that well, and even with boost it takes too long to get where you want to be.

Haven't played the Cruiser level much, but it seems fairly small (all indoor rooms and hallways) with not a lot of nooks and crannies to hide in. No long views, so snipers will be pretty useless here. Pretty symmetric too, and obvious connectivity. Saboteurs (Disguise + C4) and Engineers (Turrets + shotgun) will rule here. Assault will make this one really messy.

Train level is a bit more interesting. Two medium length trains with chokepoint crossings. Long views for snipers, but people will duck in and out of structures all of the time, plus snipers will have to worry about other snipers a lot. Oh, and avoid getting their heads smashed in by ceiling structures whizzing by.
Each train has medium-sized rooms and walkways, but its very linear structure (it's a train after all) means it does not have sneaky side paths you can use to flank the enemy, although it's not always that easy to cover all the chokepoint crossings.
Engineers will be useful for their shotgun and turrets. Saboteurs will be able to sneak by, as well as be very effective with C4. Boosting isn't very needed here, but rockets will cause mayhem. Tacticians very useful here. Easy to get disoriented here as both trains look alike, and when you're inside it's hard to tell what is the front or back of the train.
(The trains are actually static; the train tunnel is actually a giant rotating donut.)

Retro pack maps are both outdoors. One is fairly small, but really open. You can get hit from all sides. Rocket launchers don't feel useful/overpowered here (watch people online prove me wrong though). The MGs might also be a bit overpowering. But I really like this map. I think they're going to try to enforce 16 players here, but don't ask me how that'll work in a rotation with 32 player maps. I think it's still fun with 32 players but then again I don't really mind 32 players on the current maps, so ymmv.

The other one is medium sized, outdoors and also quite open, but with enough structures to hide behind. Snipers will like this one I think, although they're more easily reached than in Pyrrhus. Map will clearly favor rifles in one area, and shotguns/rockets in another. Air support drones might actually be useful here, although a well placed turret can easily reach them. There's also a really big gimmick in this one which wasn't in the original. I'll be interested in the reactions when it gets revealed.

So far nothing like Salamun Market, but there might be more Pyrrhus-sized maps in the works. Unfortunately, that seems to be far in the future. I guess it depends on the popularity of the DLC.
Only on GAF do you get detailed description of unreleased maps straight from the dev.
You're awesome Tempy.

At some point the multiplayer team will have to move on to the next project and not spend too much time on poor old flawed kz2.
vadernooo

Allow me to clarify on these new features a little: The new ranks we’ve added are basically a reward to all the players out there that have massive amounts of points, and we hope that it inspires other players to keep on playing. The 17-24 player filter was a direct request from the community because a lot of people think the ’sweet spot’ of the multiplayer levels is around 24 players instead of 32 and are creating custom games accordingly. The Join Clan Member tab was also a direct community request, allowing players to join clan members when they are playing regular non-clan related games.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums about the lack of a ‘party system’ in Killzone 2 and rest assured, we are working hard on creating features that will make it easier for you to play with your friends online. These features include being able to join the same faction of a friend already in-game directly from the join game menus, manually being able to switch faction during gameplay and making existing squads consistent over multiple rounds; no more need to create a new squad every single round. These features will be coming to a patch near you soon!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/21/patch-124-fewer-bugs-more-features/

KZObsessed

The scores for the "hardcore ranks" are a bit strange. 5,000, 10,000 then all the way up to 100,000 :lol

25,000, 50,000 then 100,000 would have made more sense maybe. 5,000 isn't "hardcore" :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tempy said:

Yes please.

careful

FFObsessed said:
The scores for the "hardcore ranks" are a bit strange. 5,000, 10,000 then all the way up to 100,000 :lol

25,000, 50,000 then 100,000 would have made more sense maybe. 5,000 isn't "hardcore" :p
100,000. Wow. That's hardcore.
I'm at around 12k. Probably never gonna reach 100k. I would've liked to have other ranks in between like 20k 30k 40k 50k, etc. something more reasonable for the amount that I play (a few hours a week).

GodofWine said:
Do the Hardcore ranks come with perks too? (sorry for the COD language :) )

I would like to highlight the fact that we are adding 3 new ranks to the game, reached at 5000, 10000 and 100000 points respectively. These ranks do not give any rewards but it allows the real hardcore players to show off their hard work to everyone in-game!
So... no >.<

Facism

FFObsessed said:
Adding extra trophies = genius. That should make everyone try out the different classes again on the new maps and get the most out of them.

I don't mind paying personally but it would have been much better for the community to have them free. Silly Sony. Just don't mess up the implementation for people who don't buy them...

We'll just have to deal with the advertising loading screens that the new patch will bring.

New medals? Obtain 8x Chump ribbon for Chump medal (Play on paid DLC maps 8 times).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FFObsessed said:

I'm @ 19,611 and I don't see myself ever getting to 100,000 wtf :lol

Dave1988 said:
Sounds good...

Inb4 Lince and his bitching that it's "too little, too late".
:lol Man you guys really get worked up over this stuff.

Anyway I might get these map packs but I'll have to think it over since I hate DLC >_>

dwin45

FFObsessed said:
Nope nothing like that. Thank goodness :p

100k is gonna take me forever O_O
Don't you already have like 55k? I think many serious players already have 5k and 10k so that's weird that they set the limits for supposed "hardcore" ranks so low.

commish

dwin45 said:
Don't you already have like 55k? I think many serious players already have 5k and 10k so that's weird that they set the limits for supposed "hardcore" ranks so low.

That's not low... most people will never sniff 100,000 for a long while.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im probably not welcomed on this thread but.. i just got a PSN card and im gonna buy the map pack. So yeah, if anyone wants to play then you know where to find me.

dwin45

commish said:
That's not low... most people will never sniff 100,000 for a long while.
Obviously 100,000 isn't too low (it's too high if anything) but 5,000 and 10,000 are too low. Should've been like 10,000 and 25,000 or something.

It's really not that big of a deal, though.

commish

dwin45 said:
Obviously 100,000 isn't too low (it's too high if anything) but 5,000 and 10,000 are too low. Should've been like 10,000 and 25,000 or something.

It's really not that big of a deal, though.

Oohh, yeah, the 5k and 10k, totally forgot about those 2 ranks. They seem like freebies to me. I agree with you... they are so low that they are rendered meaningless, really (if ranks themselves have meaning; you know what I mean). I think 25k and then 50k and then 100k would have been better.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
TTP said:

This is unfortunately true, as I don't play as much now and often play skirmish first to get the feel again. It feels quite different.

I actually thought dual deaths was coded in for some strange reason :lol

Oh well.

TheFatOne

Fersis said:
Im probably not welcomed on this thread but.. i just got a PSN card and im gonna buy the map pack. So yeah, if anyone wants to play then you know where to find me.

Last time I played against you it was easy kills :D Why aren't you welcomed in the thread?

Top Bottom