• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Jebus, 100K? Never gonna get that. Even if you could get points playing a match with easy bots that would take a while.

Just played an interesting game on Salamun Market. Basically pistols only (no revolver) + SMG, so everybody was running around as a saboteur with the occasional tactician for spawnpoints, and engineers for ammoboxes and machineguns. Long game (30m per mission) too. Ended up leading everybody with 352 points despite my team losing.

Ehh, thats kind of expensive for just 2 maps. Probably will buy anyway though.

I don't like the idea of switching faction in-game. So if I'm losing 6-1, I could just switch teams?

YoungHav

Banned
I wish the trophies/challenges for multiplayer were more interesting. New rankings suck, should've been done more spaced out to begin with. At least add trophies to the new ranks.

YoungHav said:
I wish the trophies/challenges for multiplayer were more interesting.
What do you mean? I can't stand when there are trophies/achievements that are like "Kill 10 people with your pistol in Deathmatch". Super annoying.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
COD 4 charged 10 for 3 maps. That comes out to 3.3333333 a map. These are 3 dollars per.

Don't buy them if they break your wallets then.

YoungHav

Banned
Blu_LED said:
What do you mean? I can't stand when there are trophies/achievements that are like "Kill 10 people with your pistol in Deathmatch". Super annoying.
Some total mp stats orientated trophy like get 1000 head shots, kill 2 people with 1 C4 explosion etc... I hate to mention that other game but more like that other game's challenges. Revive 5 times, fix 5 turrets, spawn 5x in one round etc... are major snoozefests for me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Blu_LED said:
Ehh, thats kind of expensive for just 2 maps. Probably will buy anyway though.

I don't like the idea of switching faction in-game. So if I'm losing 6-1, I could just switch teams?

No; at 6-1, it's over :) But I see what you're saying. People would just switch teams to get the bonus points. However, GG could limit it to being able to switch until the first round ends. After that, teams are locked.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tempy said:
I'm fairly sure having a level editor for KZ2 is a no go. Although I love games where you can create content for it (LBP, PC games), making a KZ2 level is quite a complex undertaking; and a heavily simplified editor where you move premade structures around a premade environment is still more effort than it's worth (for us anyway).
Ah ok, i understand. It is no problem for me that there arent any level maker in Killzone 2, i just thought it was an interesting though on how a Killzone 2 level maker would be like :) I am glad that there are more official Killzone 2 maps that are comming, i am looking forward to try them out! :)

Tempy said:
In the early days (waaaaay back during the "Marines" demo) there was an UnrealED-like Level Editor, but we quickly moved to using Maya for the geometry and entity placement. Killzone 1 & Liberation required LUA scripting in a text editor, and KZ2 used a state machine based editor to facilitate LUA scripting. For our next project we're rewriting the state machine editor to make it more user friendly and less like coding. And there will be more user friendly functionality in Maya. But I highly doubt it'll ever be slick and wysiwyg enough to allow consumers to use.
Ah cool, i like to read about game development info like this! :) Thanks for the info! :)

test_account

XP-39C²
*double post*

FFObsessed said:
The scores for the "hardcore ranks" are a bit strange. 5,000, 10,000 then all the way up to 100,000 :lol

25,000, 50,000 then 100,000 would have made more sense maybe. 5,000 isn't "hardcore" :p
Wow, 100k points to get the highest hardcore rank? That will take some time to do indeed :)

Are there any words if these ranks will unlock anything new like the previous ranks does?

YoungHav said:
Some total mp stats orientated trophy like get 1000 head shots, kill 2 people with 1 C4 explosion etc... I hate to mention that other game but more like that other game's challenges. Revive 5 times, fix 5 turrets, spawn 5x in one round etc... are major snoozefests for me.
I dont think it should take too long to get these trophies though, so i dont think it will be too much of a snoozefest, but i see what you mean :) But now there is a new challenge with the hardcore ranks (5,000, 10,000 and 100,000 points). These challenges arent trophies though, but it is some kind of a challenge at least :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
test_account said:
*double post*

Wow, 100k points to get the highest hardcore rank? That will take some time to do indeed :)

Are there any words if these ranks will unlock anything new like the previous ranks does?

Just "bragging rights". Nothing new :(

YoungHav

Banned
test_account said:
I dont think it should take too long to get these trophies though, so i dont think it will be too much of a snoozefest, but i see what you mean :) But now there is a new challenge with the hardcore ranks (5,000, 10,000 and 100,000 points). These challenges arent trophies though, but it is some kind of a challenge at least :)
I'm just a fat CoD4 crybaby. iNeedz more challenges/trophies. They should seriously sit down and brainstorm and throw out some KZ2 challenges ala Cod4. Trophies or not, it adds fun to teh game. I hope the new maps are good though I'm not confident in them due to tempy's response.

raYne

So what's the over/under for how long until people start creating games with Wasteland Bullet (the train map) out of the rotation? I give it 2 days.

LiquidMetal14 said:
COD 4 charged 10 for 3 maps. That comes out to 3.3333333 a map. These are 3 dollars per.

Don't buy them if they break your wallets then.
This is like the 2nd time that's been said.. 4 maps, actually. Creek, Broadcast, Killhouse, China Town.

Cagen

raYne said:
So what's the over/under for how long until people start creating games with Wasteland Bullet (the train map) out of the rotation? I give it 2 days.

1 for me, the map looks like complete and utter trash. It will probably rank lower then Blood Gracht for me, which I didn't think anything could be worse than.

test_account

XP-39C²
YoungHav said:
I'm just a fat CoD4 crybaby. iNeedz more challenges/trophies. They should seriously sit down and brainstorm and throw out some KZ2 challenges ala Cod4. Trophies or not, it adds fun to teh game. I hope the new maps are good though I'm not confident in them due to tempy's response.
Have you got all the badges/ribbons in Killzone 2 yet? Those are some challenges as well :) But ye, i agree that challenges (the more, the better, at least in many cases) in a game can increase the fun factor :)

EDIT: I just checked out more closely on the new trophies that will be added to Killzone 2 , and i think that it would be possible to get all of these trophies within some hours, so i dont think that they will be a snoozefest :) But i understand what you mean though, that these new trophies arent exactly the biggest challenges. But at least these are some new added challenges :)

raYne

Cagen said:
1 for me, the map looks like complete and utter trash. It will probably rank lower then Blood Gracht for me, which I didn't think anything could be worse than.
:lol I'm sorta in the same boat. As I'm completely turned off by that map, yet want the Cruiser.

So it's basically 6 bucks for one map. :/

Zen

Banned
FFObsessed said:
The scores for the "hardcore ranks" are a bit strange. 5,000, 10,000 then all the way up to 100,000 :lol

25,000, 50,000 then 100,000 would have made more sense maybe. 5,000 isn't "hardcore" :p

Well that's one way to deal with the 'you complete the XP grind too soon' issue. I mean, it's not as effective as them having just laid out a good progression plan in the first place, but at least you're going to have something to work towards constantly. I was hoping they could scale them a bit more with the top rank currently being at, say 30k? And releasing a higher level of ranks with the Retro pack.

Although I'm guessing there are no tangible differences in reaching these higher ranks, so again, it's a bit of an 'oh fuck!' solution, but it's better than nothing.

icechai

do the hardcore ranks get trophies? like bronze for first, silver next, gold for last? I mean i can see why they spaced it out that way. I'd say i play more than most and I have 22k, probably won't get 100k until retro maps come out and 4 patches down the road :p

also how are they going to make changing teams in game work? I can see total team stacking worse than before. Guerilla needs to learn not to trust people with so much free will. Look at CS! :)

RavenFox

Banned
careful said:
Once you get the 100k rank, it should unlock a trophy that shows how many hours you spent online.
:lol

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums about the lack of a ‘party system’ in Killzone 2 and rest assured, we are working hard on creating features that will make it easier for you to play with your friends online. These features include being able to join the same faction of a friend already in-game directly from the join game menus, manually being able to switch faction during gameplay and making existing squads consistent over multiple rounds; no more need to create a new squad every single round. These features will be coming to a patch near you soon!
P.S.: I almost forgot to mention: The patch also adds DLC support! … So you know what that means… ;)
Sweet clips of mine how did I miss this 0_0. My man rod just grew another 2"

basis

ok i've finally completed the campaign... so could erm.. someone explain to me the ending? i need to justify spending 8hr+ of my life on it (according to my KZ2 stats that's my poor effort at beating the SP game)

spoiler tags please... or point me to a post or somewhere that actually explains what
Visari meant when he croaked 'The madness... it begins....'

dorkimoe

FFObsessed said:
I want to live in that magical world of dreams.

haha that would be pretty crazy

also 6 bucks for 2 maps..thats 10% of the game...

6 bucks isn't alot of money but for 2 maps...come on..

Because you know they have more than 2 maps done....which just means 6 bucks every couple months

Lince

Banned
awesome games with GAF friends tonight, I think we won every single game we played on. I've around 60k points, 100k is attainable but there should be a reward like an exclusive multiplayer skin or weapon.

FFObsessed... vaffanculo!! :lol

icechai

GodofWine said:
M.A.G.
Believe?

not based on screenshots so far. KZ2 has something to its camera angle, weight, and environment effects that make it unlike every other shooter out there. Which is why i still come back even with all the problems (and even when i'm on the uneven team like last night's 2v6 slaughtering against kitton and click... seriously guys, its like me and another dude, was C4, airbots and turrets really necessary??? o_O) Great practice for the assault rifle though, almost got a 2:1 k/d before we all quit :p

careful

Wow. Tonight I tweaked my room settings to disable Assault and you guys were right, it also disables boost! (room is probably still running if you're looking for it: "No Rockets Join!")

The biggest impact is felt in Search & Retrieve. It was a lot more challenging to return speakers.

These are the full settings and I was pretty satisfied with the games (except with the team balancing on some games).

- 16p, balancing off, FF on
- Assault disabled, rocket/'nade launcher disabled
- All times at default 5 mins, but bodycount 50kills, and defuse time 40s

I do enjoy the longer games every now and then, but they can be pretty draining. Games already last on average 25-30mins with the default 5 minutes per mission.

Did my game just glitch? I logged on just now and was award the "Wargod Ribbon" trophy (Acquire all remaining medals). Yet I haven't unlocked the Cross-Training Ribbon, Veteran Ribbon, or Expert Ribbon trophies. Perhaps the game accidentally awarded me?

And fun games earlier. I finally got the Spot and Mark ability for the Scout. Still need to go after the 5x scope, though.

Am I the only person who refuses to play in non-Gaf games? I just can't handle the stupidity of public servers. Even if it means not playing for days, so be it.

icechai

Jack Scofield said:
Am I the only person who refuses to play in non-Gaf games? I just can't handle the stupidity of public servers. Even if it means not playing for days, so be it.

i can stand other games as long as there's 2-3 ppl in my buddy list playing, its all good :p

Atrus

Gold Member
basis said:
ok i've finally completed the campaign... so could erm.. someone explain to me the ending? i need to justify spending 8hr+ of my life on it (according to my KZ2 stats that's my poor effort at beating the SP game)

spoiler tags please... or point me to a post or somewhere that actually explains what
Visari meant when he croaked 'The madness... it begins....'

After a long and hard battle to secure Scolar Visari that had cost the lives of most of the invading ISA fleet, Rico kills him in a burst of irrational anger. Visari's statement was that by killing him, not only will the cycle of violence continue, but that the Helghast have been stirred up to such a fury, Visari was actually holding back the true extent of their rage.

Sev walks outside to let things sink in, only to find a Helghast fleet coming to settle over the ruins of the city, signaling the complete and utter failure of the invasion. This isn't a winning or losing scenario. It's a quagmire of meaningless death and carnage.

The Helghast have just lost their greatest city to an ISA nuke and their iconic leader has been assassinated. If they were pissed off before, what are they now?

careful

Jack Scofield said:
It's not that bad
when you find a good room

Jtrizzy

fuck man. The two best rounds I've had get disconnected while I'm winning. This happened last night and tonight.

Is getting signed out of the network a common occurrence?

TheFatOne

Fantastic last game guys who played with me. We killed the other gafers. Dirtbag you were on target with those spawns and JardeL you were killing them with the shotty. Both of you guys were ace. To bad we got kicked out could have been 7-0.

Jack Scofield said:

Yeah I play with mostly gaffers now. Ohh yea to any of the GAFA officers some random clan challenged us I think to a "clan war" at least thats what it said. Let me post the message. The message was from XI-Kiss and all it says is "want to clan war?" weird.

Edit: Ohh yea whats nice is that if I join a game with Ice then CJ or someone else will join the game, and then more GAFA members join. Its awesome like that.

JardeL

I like to play against you Gaffers also ... Every round is challenging with you guys , you re all good ... But thanks to these f.cking disconnects we cant play more ...

Damn servers , everytime i get disconnected i get a new error ... This time it was ' General server Failure ' , wth ?..

Jtrizzy

Is the online always like this? Now I'm getting disconnected again. The same shit happened last night where I get signed out, over and over again. Now it's doing it again.

Atrus said:
After a long and hard battle to secure Scolar Visari that had cost the lives of most of the invading ISA fleet, Rico kills him in a burst of irrational anger. Visari's statement was that by killing him, not only will the cycle of violence continue, but that the Helghast have been stirred up to such a fury, Visari was actually holding back the true extent of their rage.

Sev walks outside to let things sink in, only to find a Helghast fleet coming to settle over the ruins of the city, signaling the complete and utter failure of the invasion. This isn't a winning or losing scenario. It's a quagmire of meaningless death and carnage.

The Helghast have just lost their greatest city to an ISA nuke and their iconic leader has been assassinated. If they were pissed off before, what are they now?

Very good explanation. Kudos.

JardeL

Jtrizzy said:
Is the online always like this? Now I'm getting disconnected again. The same shit happened last night where I get signed out, over and over again. Now it's doing it again.
Not always , I think it is related to DLC & 1.24 update prep ...

Btw , any GAF servers online now ?.. Nobody is online on my FL at the moment :/ ...

Dirtbag

TheFatOne said:
Fantastic last game guys who played with me. We killed the other gafers. Dirtbag you were on target with those spawns and JardeL you were killing them with the shotty. Both of you guys were ace. To bad we got kicked out could have been 7-0.

Yeah I play with mostly gaffers now. Ohh yea to any of the GAFA officers some random clan challenged us I think to a "clan war" at least thats what it said. Let me post the message. The message was from XI-Kiss and all it says is "want to clan war?" weird.

Edit: Ohh yea whats nice is that if I join a game with Ice then CJ or someone else will join the game, and then more GAFA members join. Its awesome like that.

Actually, it was 7-0.
I finished the job.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Atrus said:

The above is all true. Konstantin City, the other major city on Helghan has pretty much the same number of troops as the Capital had, and a large chunk of the Helghast fleet was in deep space awaiting the return of the UCA (which would give an end date to the ISA invasion, since it was unauthorized by the UCN).

The symbol that Visari is looking up at, the first time he says "The Madness" is the old Helghan Authority sign - predating the Helghast influence - which I THINK stands for a cyclical sharing of resources, labour and property - the spirit which TRULY got the people of Helghan through the hard earlier days, and which Visari replaced with the militarism of the Helghast. Their symbol suggest an outpouring FROM Helghan - not a remaking of the world that is now theirs.

When he says that "The Madness begins..." he's referring to what will happen when the Helghast discover that they're leaderless. He earlier said that only by returning him to power would the ISA be able to take control of Helghan. With him gone - who can control the masses? Who can keep the petty tyrants in line? Nobody."

YoungHav

Banned
Zen said:
Well that's one way to deal with the 'you complete the XP grind too soon' issue. I mean, it's not as effective as them having just laid out a good progression plan in the first place, but at least you're going to have something to work towards constantly. I was hoping they could scale them a bit more with the top rank currently being at, say 30k? And releasing a higher level of ranks with the Retro pack.

Although I'm guessing there are no tangible differences in reaching these higher ranks, so again, it's a bit of an 'oh fuck!' solution, but it's better than nothing.
Amen. Good progression should've been in there to begin with. I figure on their end there'd be nothing to unlock by having more ranks in between 30K-100K XP; so why not put only three more ranks in? I dunno why I'm complaining, already put 60hrs in so I got my money's worth.

icechai

Dirtbag said:
^I guess one day I'll have to play the campaign :lol
I personally haven't fired the flamethrower or the bolt gun once yet.

you sir are missing out. Nothing quite like shooting flammable liquid into a room of helghasts. Or firing a bolt into a guy and have him fly back into another guy and the bolt goes boom! Lightning gun is also cool but it just makes you feel all powerful :p

Tempy said:
Retro pack maps are both outdoors. One is fairly small, but really open. You can get hit from all sides. Rocket launchers don't feel useful/overpowered here (watch people online prove me wrong though). The MGs might also be a bit overpowering. But I really like this map. I think they're going to try to enforce 16 players here, but don't ask me how that'll work in a rotation with 32 player maps. I think it's still fun with 32 players but then again I don't really mind 32 players on the current maps, so ymmv.

The other one is medium sized, outdoors and also quite open, but with enough structures to hide behind. Snipers will like this one I think, although they're more easily reached than in Pyrrhus. Map will clearly favor rifles in one area, and shotguns/rockets in another. Air support drones might actually be useful here, although a well placed turret can easily reach them. There's also a really big gimmick in this one which wasn't in the original. I'll be interested in the reactions when it gets revealed.

So far nothing like Salamun Market, but there might be more Pyrrhus-sized maps in the works. Unfortunately, that seems to be far in the future. I guess it depends on the popularity of the DLC. At some point the multiplayer team will have to move on to the next project and not spend too much time on poor old flawed kz2.

1. Fuking Park Terminal!!! It haz to be.

2. Beach head?

Top Bottom