• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

KZ3 is ripe with possibilities, concept-wise.
with Visari dead, hordes of new factions and warlords can rise up and claim patches of territory as their own. It'd be so amazing if Sev, Rico, and Natko had to fight their way off of Helghan, traversing and bushwacking through uncivilized territory, fighting off all kinds of classes from the helghast society, gathering potential "allies" along the way.

TheFatOne

Dirtbag said:
^I guess one day I'll have to play the campaign :lol
I personally haven't fired the flamethrower or the bolt gun once yet.

Fuck I was the host I guess :lol I got kicked out when I had a great game sucks. Man I just played a long ass game with Click, CJ, and TigerHeli my god. Click kept telling me not to pay attention to the clock but defending for half an hour is crazy.

TheFatOne said:
Fuck I was the host I guess :lol I got kicked out when I had a great game sucks. Man I just played a long ass game with Click, CJ, and TigerHeli my god. Click kept telling me not to pay attention to the clock but defending for half an hour is crazy.

That game was pretty epic! We won 6-1 and I had my first 400 point game! I had to rush into there base for my last kill to give me 400 right before the game ended! It was long, but very fun at the same time. Hell, the only game that went even close to thirty was our S&D defend. The rest of the games we dominated. It was still damn long, wow!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TheFatOne said:

That S&D defend was SO LONG. Every time I thought the timer had to be up, there was like 22 minutes left. The other team was so terrible. It'd have gone faster if they had a competent tactician.

Good games guys. I was the one patrolling the hallway between the defend site and the theater. Defend that long is CRAZY! But so satisfying when the other team walks away without detonating.

I think it might have been a mistake to play my first time through the campaign on hard. It seemed like it was just a lot of dieing until I got to a check point then repeating the process, and I talked to people who seemed to enjoy it more on normal. What did difficulty did you guys generally set for your first play through?

JardeL

TheFatOne said:
My PS3 crashed after a while I joined that game ... I resetted PS3 , tried to join again but it was full so I decided to spectate ... 7 or 8 guys was camping in front of HGH base exit , it was hilarious :lol ...

And CJ , after you told me that you placed C4s on my head I tried to be a suicide bomber , run to the HGHs but it didnt work out haha ...

Is this scheduled maintenance or do I just have terrifically bad timing to start playing?

Seconds into my first game I begin as a scout for the first time and then everyone got disconnected :lol

Lord Phol

Question: How screwed are you online if one does not get all these different downloads and map packs? Will there still be people to play with?
And what downloads are there currently out there?.

peetfeet

Lord Phol said:
Question: How screwed are you online if one does not get all these different downloads and map packs? Will there still be people to play with?
And what downloads are there currently out there?.

There is no DLC as yet, first pack hits next week (2 maps)

While playing skirmish I noticed that now you can walk through the bots that the engineer spawns, but it hurts you if you stay inside it. It wasn't always like this was it?

Also it seems that they changed it so you have to hear the beginning of Visaris speech everytime you boot up the game. Lame.

Lince

Banned
XxBigP123xX said:
Also it seems that they changed it so you have to hear the beginning of Visaris speech everytime you boot up the game. Lame.

aat08 wrote:
Well, it looks like the patch has disabled the ability to skip the GG logo at boot.

Yeah sorry about that. Sony requirement.

Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games

XonoX

Lince said:
Well, it looks like the patch has disabled the ability to skip the GG logo at boot.

That shits going to get old VERY quick

Captain Blood said:
I think it might have been a mistake to play my first time through the campaign on hard. It seemed like it was just a lot of dieing until I got to a check point then repeating the process, and I talked to people who seemed to enjoy it more on normal. What did difficulty did you guys generally set for your first play through?

I played on Hard first, I died a lot. If I had to do it all over again I would have started on normal.

Still loved the SP campaign but it put some unnecessary annoyance in there.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:

Madness.

womfalcs3

Banned
The GG logo is integrated with the introduction. Does that mean I can't skip the intro? If I can move on after the logo, I'm fine. I don't want to sit through the intro every time I boot the game tough.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fizzle said:

haven't checked it out myself, but if it's like Resident Evil 5 all you have to do is:

- get into a lobby
- bring up the XMB
- press triangle on friend
- select invite option from the list

Edit: just tried. Beats me. I have no idea. :/
Edit2: I'm thinking that feature hasn't been implemented at all and it was mentioned by mistake in the change log. *shakes fist*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fizzle said:
Lol I hope not.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's exactly what happened. Just wait and see.

I think it's coming in the next patch alongside this stuff mentioned by Eric Boltjes on the SCEA blog

There has been a lot of discussion on the forums about the lack of a ‘party system’ in Killzone 2 and rest assured, we are working hard on creating features that will make it easier for you to play with your friends online. These features include being able to join the same faction of a friend already in-game directly from the join game menus, manually being able to switch faction during gameplay and making existing squads consistent over multiple rounds; no more need to create a new squad every single round. These features will be coming to a patch near you soon!

Able to download and log on before work...here's couple of brief notes.

The new rankings are posted

Brigade General (5k)
General of the Army (10k)
Commander iin Chief (100k)

I had already achieved over 10k so I'm currently "General of the Army" with only a mere 89K away from commander and chief.

In the clan section there was a "member rankings." I don't know if that's new or not because I don't play in any clan matches but I don't remember ever seeing it there.

That's about all I noticed from the start-up screen. I didn't play any games so I can't speak to any of that yet.

Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho off to work I go

RavenFox

Banned
XonoX said:
That shits going to get old VERY quick
Tell me about it. Sony kiss my ass.

DodgerBlue said:

Brigade General (5k)

I had already achieved over 10k so I'm currently "General of the Army" with only a mere 89K away from commander and chief.

In the clan section there was a "member rankings." I don't know if that's new or not because I don't play in any clan matches but I don't remember ever seeing it there.

That's about all I noticed from the start-up screen. I didn't play any games so I can't speak to any of that yet.

Lol you make it sound so easy Dodger

TTP said:
haven't checked it out myself, but if it's like Resident Evil 5 all you have to do is:

- get into a lobby
- bring up the XMB
- press triangle on friend
- select invite option from the list

Edit: just tried. Beats me. I have no idea. :/
Edit2: I'm thinking that feature hasn't been implemented at all and it was mentioned by mistake in the change log. *shakes fist*

Yup, it was a mistake.

Okay, I think it might have been labelled poorly, apologies for that.

Full sentence should have been: ’Invite player to clan from your friends-list’

Go to Communication center - Friends - Highlight - [] - Invite to clan.

RavenFox said:
Lol you make it sound so easy Dodger

Yeah right lol Commander and Chief I will never be

For as much time as I've put into this game, I'm still not very good. I certainly wish I was better and I enjoy the hell out of this game, probably because I don't take it as serious as some folks but I'm just not all that good. Some of the scores I hear you guys put up on a per round basis and these kill to death ratios are pretty staggering.

On the whole though, I like video games but I'm just not very good at hardly any of the competitive multiplayer stuff.

Kittonwy

Banned
commish said:
That S&D defend was SO LONG. Every time I thought the timer had to be up, there was like 22 minutes left. The other team was so terrible. It'd have gone faster if they had a competent tactician.

Srsly don't do long S&D, it's CRAZY, especially when it comes to defense, to go longer than 10 minutes doesn't really make sense, even 10 min is way too long.
Indifferent2.gif

Cagen

So since the patch I can no longer play games online. I downloaded and installed the patch, logged into skirmish to check they had fixed the map exploits and then checked to see who was online and left it at that.

Now every time I load up a game, any game not just Killzone 2, I get disconnected from the PSN. Before the patch I never had a problem like this and now I can't play anything online. I can log into PSN fine, check the store, log into chat rooms but as soon as I boot up a game I get disconnected and as soon as I exit the game I automatically reconnect again.

I deleted the Killzone 2 game data but that didn't fix it, now I can't even redownload the patch because I instantly get disconnected when booting up Killzone 2 before the update check takes place :lol.

I guess the next step is to roll back my firmware but as far as I know there is no way to do that without losing ALL the data on the hard drive. I really don't relish the idea of backing up all 120gigs of data on it.

This may or may not have anything to do with the patch but it is the only variable that has changed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cagen said:
So since the patch I can no longer play games online. I downloaded and installed the patch, logged into skirmish to check they had fixed the map exploits and then checked to see who was online and left it at that.

Now every time I load up a game, any game not just Killzone 2, I get disconnected from the PSN. Before the patch I never had a problem like this and now I can't play anything online. I can log into PSN fine, check the store, log into chat rooms but as soon as I boot up a game I get disconnected and as soon as I exit the game I automatically reconnect again.

I deleted the Killzone 2 game data but that didn't fix it, now I can't even redownload the patch because I instantly get disconnected when booting up Killzone 2 before the update check takes place :lol.

I guess the next step is to roll back my firmware but as far as I know there is no way to do that without losing ALL the data on the hard drive. I really don't relish the idea of backing up all 120gigs of data on it.

This may or may not have anything to do with the patch but it is the only variable that has changed.
I would say that is not patch related, i got the same issue a couple of days ago.
The PSN is working fine for me now.
EDIT: This is silly to ask but, have you tried to login after you have been disconnected?
(I mean login once you are on the KZ2 main menu or something like that)

EDIT2:I dont think that games have the 'permission' to write system settings... so i dont think that the patch would mess with the net connection settings.

Cagen

Fersis said:
I would say that is not patch related, i got the same issue a couple of days ago.
The PSN is working fine for me now.
EDIT: This is silly to ask but, have you tried to login after you have been disconnected?
(I mean login once you are on the KZ2 main menu or something like that)

EDIT2:I dont think that games have the 'permission' to write system settings... so i dont think that the patch would mess with the net connection settings.

Yeah, I have. It instantly disconnects the second it connects if I try to log into it while in a game. I have tried multiple accounts, multiple games, logging into PSN automatically, manually, while in game, while out of the game, everything I could think of.

PSN is working fine for me also which is the stupid thing, it's just my PS3 wont stay connected, as soon as I load up a game it disconnects me from it. Which to me seems like it disconnects when it gets to the update check.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kittonwy said:
Srsly don't do long S&D, it's CRAZY, especially when it comes to defense, to go longer than 10 minutes doesn't really make sense, even 10 min is way too long.
Indifferent2.gif

I was in an S&D game last night that lasted about 30 mins or less but it was a long game and quite good since my team were competent in what they were doing. The Engineers put turrets in good spots and the tactician officers (me included) made sure to put spawn points in good positions.

The map was Helghan Industries and my team was the ISA so we had to defend two points from destruction. The game got good when the other team created a spawn point at one of the points to defend my team almost all of them threw grenade after grenade into that spot, we finally overtook that area and got rid of the bomb planted there. I should also note the Engineers on my team were good at repairing the ammunition supply cases, which helped the effort a lot.

That was one battle I wished I could have recorded and put on youtube. It was so intense and fun.

DodgerBlue said:

Brigade General (5k)

This is what ive been hoping for!!!! I just really like ranking up. I tried playing with click and all you guys but server was full. So i had to go into some crappy servers. Still fun though.

jorma

is now taking requests
Captain Blood said:

Yeah, i played the first half of the game on hard, switched to normal mid way through, and that made the SP a lot more fun.

Lince

Banned
tiddles said:
We are awaiting Lince's denunciation of the new patch with bated breath... :D

if you were doing (properly) your job instead of posting such idiotic posts perhaps the game would be a bit better, didn't you see how I apologized to Tempy yesterday and admitted I was being a bit extreme with my "suggestions" ?

btw the patch is a true wonder, the game is perfect now, no lag, no miracle shotguns, no bugs (even when we just ended a game 0 - 0 after we completed the 7 missions, yes, 0 - 0) thank you for the effort, I will be buying the DLC now

just to get the unwanted advertising out of the way.

Crackers

Neo Member
Lince said:
if you were doing (properly) your job instead of posting such idiotic posts perhaps the game would be a bit better, didn't you see how I apologized to Tempy yesterday and admitted I was being a bit extreme with my "suggestions" ?

O.O

He was joking.

.GqueB.

Banned
Lince said:

btw the patch is a true wonder, the game is perfect now, no lag, no miracle shotguns, no bugs (even when we just ended a game 0 - 0 after we completed the 7 missions, yes, 0 - 0) thank you for the effort, I will be buying the DLC now

just to get the unwanted advertising out of the way.
0-0?

What happened during body count?

Top Bottom