• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Cruiser will be good for small clan battles love standing near the bombed out sections and hearing the wind whip around.

Holy shit with the train level! The best thing is though the jumps to cross trains make the territory control a lot more intricate as you can't shoot while jumping, so the bridges instanty become a sort of no man's land. That and the train looks, feels, sounds amazing.

some fun games tonights, we have a pretty good amount of guys with the new maps

Rapping Granny said:
Good Games guys, fucking aj.

:lol :lol i believe u said u were gonna rape me or something in one of those games but i didnt finish hearing what u were saying:lol

YoungHav

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Those 8 maps are all great. Most FPS game have dozens of maps but only 4 or 5 that are actually played. You should be glad that you can enjoy the game no matter what maps someone chooses.
Please do not make any excuses, there is no argument here. YOU think all 8 maps are great. I personally do not like Blood Gracht and Phyrrus Rise (I cringe at the latter). That leaves me with 6 maps I wholly enjoy... SIX friggin maps. CoD4, the only maps I dislike are that Silo map, Wetwork, Creek [DLC], and Russian apartment building map. Everything else I think is good to great. Thats 13 out of 16 maps out the box that I enjoy, and as for the map pack I liked Chinatown/Broadcast, haven't tried the 1 on 1 map yet (which brings it up to me liking 15/19 maps). No matter how good I think the KZ2 maps are, thats still the same effin 6 maps in constant rotation and now they want me to pay $6 for 2 maps I'm not guaranteed to even like? If 8 maps floats your boat it is what it is, but don't act like there isn't a very reasonable counter argument, especially with the amount of competition in the shooter genre. This game will die hard if Modern Warfare 2 keeps/increases Cod4's standard. I'm not trolling, I'm seriously disappointed with certain aspects of this game and I've spent 60hrs on both this and Cod4, just more satisfied with the latter.

At the end of the day this is a great foundation for Killzone 3 (or whatever expansions/improvements GG plan on adding to this game in the future). At this point though, after all the hype and dust is settled I've come to the conclusion that GG didn't want it enough this time around.

Rikyfree

YoungHav said:
At this point though, after all the hype and dust is settled I've come to the conclusion that GG didn't want it enough this time around.
Who the hell are you to say they didn't want it enough? Why don't you ask Tempy if he wanted to make a damn good game? Or Iain Howe? I'm sure they would agree with you that they didn't want to make a good game at all.

Dante

Played a few matches in Bullet wasteland...Still getting the hang of it, glad they don't count environmental deaths as suicides. Love getting like 4 trophies in one round of multi :p

Pretty fun, can't wait to try the Vektan cruiser.

YoungHav

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Who the hell are you to say they didn't want it enough? Why don't you ask Tempy if he wanted to make a damn good game? Or Iain Howe? I'm sure they would agree with you that they didn't want to make a good game at all.
lol who the hell am I? Someone that put $60 in their pockets. I never said it wasn't a good game, there are just too many glaring omissions and issues for it to be the title it was hyped up to be (Click's p501 post had some good points I agreed with). Nice foundation; KZ3 should kick ass.

SickBoy

I'm just curious how many hours people have put into the game. I've put about 35 or 40, which is probably close to 50% of my available gaming time since the game came out, but I read earlier in the thread that some folks had put "hundreds." Wow.

BTW, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Blood Gracht. I think it's a great looking level, but I think it's way below the standard of all the others in the game.

aj2good4you2 said:
:lol :lol i believe u said u were gonna rape me or something in one of those games but i didnt finish hearing what u were saying:lol

lol I said your mother, it was amazing that you were pulling 70-80 kills a round and your team still lost.

I was wondering why there wasn't any GAFe people in our games until I read the boards.

TheFatOne

SickBoy said:
I'm just curious how many hours people have put into the game. I've put about 35 or 40, which is probably close to 50% of my available gaming time since the game came out, but I read earlier in the thread that some folks had put "hundreds." Wow.

BTW, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Blood Gracht. I think it's a great looking level, but I think it's way below the standard of all the others in the game.

I put in something like 120 hours so far, and I have yet to make it past Visari Square on SP :lol

SickBoy said:

about the same. maybe a bit more.

I enjoy blood gracht, and I haven't touched a match with members of GAF accompanying me.
Personally, I think that peoples' heightened expectations of this game have gotten the best of them. Maybe I was the only one who was measuring my anticipation off of a game who's predecessor was renown for being the failure in regards to it's title: "Halo killer".

Kittonwy

Banned
GAFA , on Tharsis we're still a bit too spread out during S&D, especially defense, I find people are chasing after the other team and are kind of drifting out (other than aj when we were practicing, he was sticking pretty close, the other people are a bit too far back), and then you're left with one guy defending the area, you get a one-on-one situation, if that one defender goes down, the attacker arms it, and we're in big trouble.

It's like that on a lot of the maps we play, we start getting the temptation to chase enemies outside the zone, that's how we end up losing S&D. Tacts should really be hanging near the zone picking enemies off before they get too close and shooting people up on the balcony where the engineers might not have the necessary range and might end up chasing people up the balcony, and keeping the spawns up, spawns should be close to the zone because engineers can spawn right there and one shot kill anyone trying to arm.

I still don't see turrets near the target, turrets up on the balcony might get easy kills but then we're not trying to earn the turret medal, we're trying to wear down whoever that is trying to run in to arm the bomb so he can be easily dispatched, you run upstairs to set up a turret, someone might just run past you, kill the only defender left, arm both bombs and make it really hard for us to defuse even one of them. Not that we shouldn't ignore the balcony but then for 5 vs 5 we really don't have enough people to allow one of us to roam.

Zen

Banned
Well I haven't spent that much time playing Killzone 2 online since the game came out, they've made 2 very good maps... better than any of the originals in my opinion. I hope taht they continue to focus on designing the maps to really put an emphasis on the abilities of the various roles and making them more methodical in the progression (I love the environmental Hazzard/break up in Wasteland Bullet).

SickBoy said:

I do find it amusing that people question a devs ability when a game starts to feel stale after 300 hours.

JardeL

TheFatOne said:
I put in something like 120 hours so far, and I have yet to make it past Visari Square on SP :lol
Total time spent on single player: 3 Hours [ PSN or my internet connection were down ]
Time spent online 8 Days 10 Hours ~ 202 Hours
:D

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
JardeL said:
Total time spent on single player: 3 Hours [ PSN or my internet connection were down ]

Well done to you, sir.

I'm on 5 hours MP, and I'll be catching you up by 2010.

Click

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I do find it amusing that people question a devs ability when a game starts to feel stale after 300 hours.

I do find it amusing that people find it amusing when they assume I started questioning the dev's abilities after 300 hours of gameplay.

Being that I've been questioning their decision-making abilities since the first week this game launched.

Zen

Banned
So let's say I grind 4000 points between now and the end of the week, will that be enough to get me the 1%?

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
4000 total, probably not.

5000 total, sure.

Live u playing tonight? I don't care about the new maps, I just want to play with some GAFe brothers, the games we played until you bukkaked your PC were thrilling.

and Negaiido... how many times did I say fuck off in that Vekta Cruiser game? it was really weird, you were shooting but the firing animation would never kick in and whenever I was shooting at you even from the back the blood would splatter out of your character but no animation was triggered to show I was hitting you... 2-3 secs later you suddenly died when I wasn't even there, it was like a zombie running on my screen. The following game Salamun Market was ok again, I swear some of these bugs or lag issues get on my nerves :lol
hope you're playing today too, we could sub to a clan tournament like the old times.

edit: and Cagen was totally right, the spawn fest in Wasteland Bullet is unbearable, you can camp the opposing team's base spawn for ever since they only have one exit point. On the other hand I can't believe no one is commenting on the graphics and the quality of the lighting and motion blur there, they're simply stunning !

i bought the DLC in the EU store, but have a US copy and am playing on a EU account (i'm in EU). do i need a k2 eu copy to play with the new maps i downloaded from the eu store?

i can't find them in the search function...

°°ToMmY°° said:
i bought the DLC in the EU store, but have a US copy and am playing on a EU account (i'm in EU). do i need a k2 eu copy to play with the new maps i downloaded from the eu store?

yes someone in the PSN update thread asked that question.

Lince

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:

yes, unfortunately DLC is region locked, if you bought the US version of the game you need the US version of the DLC in order to play the new maps.

Cagen

Lince said:
Live u playing tonight? I don't care about the new maps, I just want to play with some GAFe brothers, the games we played until you bukkaked your PC were thrilling.

and Negaiido... how many times did I say fuck off in that Vekta Cruiser game? it was really weird, you were shooting but the firing animation would never kick in and whenever I was shooting at you even from the back the blood would splatter out of your character but no animation was triggered to show I was hitting you... 2-3 secs later you suddenly died when I wasn't even there, it was like a zombie running on my screen. The following game Salamun Market was ok again, I swear some of these bugs or lag issues get on my nerves :lol
hope you're playing today too, we could sub to a clan tournament like the old times.

edit: and Cagen was totally right, the spawn fest in Wasteland Bullet is unbearable, you can camp the opposing team's base spawn for ever since they only have one exit point. On the other hand I can't believe no one is commenting on the graphics and the quality of the lighting and motion blur there, they're simply stunning !

Ill be on tonight until I get pissed off and leave like I did last night :lol.

The Wasteland Bullet looks amazing, a little dark in places but then again you're on a "small" train travelling through tunnels. Game play wise it is an absolute disaster though.

Speaking of the bases, if it was possible to jump to the other train from the base they would be fine but I have played the map around 12 times and at least 8 of those times I have dropped a spawn behind the container/cover in front of the enemies base and we have won every round by trapping them in there. You could put this down to a stupid tactician on the opposition not keeping his spawn points up continuously but if you have multiple idiot tacticians, which is often the case out side of clan games, it isn't so easy to be effective yourself.

Couple this with environmental hazards, which I already dislike in competitive FPS and you have spawn points being dropped near the edges so you take one step while getting your bearings and you can fall off, the spawn points don't even need to be near to the edge with the relatively large zone you can spawn in around them. Then you also have GG allowing you to spawn on top of your base, in the path of the oncoming lights so you can instantly get hit by them.

Environmental hazards should not stop the flow of play and there should always be an option to avoid them. They should be high risk, high reward so you take the risk of waiting and jumping over from platform to platform on either train and you gain access to where you wish to go quicker, however you should be able to by pass this by going up to the middle sections top level and crossing over there, potentially taking longer and exposing you to snipers (and if the level was designed correctly it would take longer, it currently doesn't as you are, at least at the start of the match, pushing forward to the enemies position which is on the opposite end of the map). Currently you can still be hit by the lights in the centre even though you are above them which shouldn't be the case.

The level has barely any verticality bar the one section in the middle which is a huge block thus not lending it's self to fighting over different tiers and the incredibly linear design funnels you into constant choke points.

Crackers

Neo Member
PuppetMaster said:
5 games in a row this game has frozen on join for me!! WTF did this new patch do to the game!

I had the same issue last night 3 times in a row trying to get into a one game (called something like LONG GAME NO ROCKET, which is perfect for me). After the third freeze, I chose a different game and it worked fine. Weird.

Crackers said:
I had the same issue last night 3 times in a row trying to get into a one game (called something like LONG GAME NO ROCKET, which is perfect for me). After the third freeze, I chose a different game and it worked fine. Weird.

That usually happens to me with some servers after a patch is deployed. I guess some servers are still on the previous version and cause this...maybe?

Dirtbag

Click said:
That's your opinion.
Here's mine:

I consider Salamun Market and Helghan Industries "great."
Radec Academy and Visari Hammer "really good."
Corinth Crossing "pretty good."
Tharsis Depot and Pyrrhus Rise "decent."
Blood Gracht "crap."

Yeah, I like most maps and can tolerate them, but 8 is just not enough maps in a 1st party, AAA, full retail title like KZ2; regardless of quality or fun factor of each map.

Salamun Market, Helghan Industries, Radec Academy = great
Visari Hammer, Tharis Depot, Pyrrhus Ride = decent
Blood Gracht, Corinth Crossing = absolute crap

I even hate the name blood gracht, and think every game mode on corinth crossing plays like dog shit.

Lince

Banned
nice review Cagen, awaiting your take on Vekta Cruiser.

Facism said:
Lince: i should be online 10pm onwards depending on my ability to muster a night out after work.

cool mate, it's bank holiday here today :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rikyfree said:
Trophies are a joke. Got all 12 new ones within 1 1/2 hours of not even trying.
You mean a blessing that doesn't require to invest 10 or more hours to get them all?!?!?!?

I got all 8 new trophies in BP in 28 minutes. And you get like 4-ish silvers too!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lince said:
nice review Cagen, awaiting your take on Vekta Cruiser.

cool mate, it's bank holiday here today :lol
Worker's day here, maybe we can play something
(Tough i dont have the map pack)

Crackers

Neo Member
Dubbedinenglish said:
That usually happens to me with some servers after a patch is deployed. I guess some servers are still on the previous version and cause this...maybe?

Yeah, good point. That's probably it.

Firewire

Banned
I only got a chance to play the 2 new maps a few times each last night and I came away impressed. They seemed to be larger than I originally thought they would be but that's ok by me.

I look forward to playing them more.

tfur

Kittonwy said:
GAFA , on Tharsis we're still a bit too spread out during S&D, especially defense, I find people are chasing after the other team and are kind of drifting out (other than aj when we were practicing, he was sticking pretty close, the other people are a bit too far back), and then you're left with one guy defending the area, you get a one-on-one situation, if that one defender goes down, the attacker arms it, and we're in big trouble.

It's like that on a lot of the maps we play, we start getting the temptation to chase enemies outside the zone, that's how we end up losing S&D. Tacts should really be hanging near the zone picking enemies off before they get too close and shooting people up on the balcony where the engineers might not have the necessary range and might end up chasing people up the balcony, and keeping the spawns up, spawns should be close to the zone because engineers can spawn right there and one shot kill anyone trying to arm.

I still don't see turrets near the target, turrets up on the balcony might get easy kills but then we're not trying to earn the turret medal, we're trying to wear down whoever that is trying to run in to arm the bomb so he can be easily dispatched, you run upstairs to set up a turret, someone might just run past you, kill the only defender left, arm both bombs and make it really hard for us to defuse even one of them. Not that we shouldn't ignore the balcony but then for 5 vs 5 we really don't have enough people to allow one of us to roam.

Yeah, so I spectated that clan match. Far too disorganized. They had their plans set in stone before the match even started. Not sure who dictated the class restriction of no sabs...

Observations...

enemy:

They have the turret placement down to a proper science. 2 roll in, and do double placements in tandem, and in the right places. Those dual placements in the top/middle of Tharis are both deadly and distracting.
They operate with members expected to hold certain zones, or either the high ground or low ground. This is a standard procedure, but I am not sure if GAFA does such a thing in practice.
They conserve spawn grenades.
They "exploit" the fact that the damn pistols have far to long of a range, and unlimited ammo. This shit pisses me off constantly when I play.

clan:

Seemed disorganized.
Lack of map/zone control. Which squad in responsible for the high ground, and which for the low?
The size of the map leads to a lack of shooting tactics, and more of a chaos tactics. Especially if you are reacting, instead of acting.
I hope with 5 players there were 2 squads. Each squad should have a spawn grenade thrower, with constant communication for conservation of placement relative to time and position.
Watch the freaking red dots on the radar.

Matches:

Clan matches should have matches should be in 2 acts. Each clan should have to play ISA, and then as HGH.
Odd class restrictions seem like you would be rolling into someones trap. If you do not play and strategize during practice with these classes, why accept the match. Or maybe counter with further restrictions?

I am sure the clan members do a lot of these things, or have equivalent or better tactics, but I thought I would just offer up some observations and ideas here...

They would of lost if they had no pistols...

Firewire

Banned
Those GAFA practice matches last night where fun.

I can't remember who I was playing with, but the two of us against 5 or 6 on the other team was rather interesting. The only thing that bothered me about that setup was Kittonwy killing me so many times, damn that Kitton.

I left last night after 3 matches, seems like im on the losing team everytime I play this game. Ill try again tonight....actually, im off today so anytime.

Thanks for the invite MrBigJohnson.

Thanks for the invite last night fellas but I didn't see it until after midnight and I was trying complete SP on Elite. Platinum is only a few more hours away.

I switched my main class. I don't have many friends online so I usually play in open rooms. I was mainly playing Engineer but they are a dime a dozen. I noticed the lack of skilled Medics ie, people pick Medic but don't actually play as a medic. I like it alot better, it's rewarding, I helped a room of three guys hold off a rush for a very long time. I just sat back threw healthpacks behind cover and revived :D I also racked up my kills.

Kittonwy

Banned
tfur said:
Yeah, so I spectated that clan match. Far too disorganized. They had their plans set in stone before the match even started. Not sure who dictated the class restriction of no sabs...

Observations...

enemy:

They have the turret placement down to a proper science. 2 roll in, and do double placements in tandem, and in the right places. Those dual placements in the top/middle of Tharis are both deadly and distracting.
They operate with members expected to hold certain zones, or either the high ground or low ground. This is a standard procedure, but I am not sure if GAFA does such a thing in practice.
They conserve spawn grenades.
They "exploit" the fact that the damn pistols have far to long of a range, and unlimited ammo. This shit pisses me off constantly when I play.

clan:

Seemed disorganized.
Lack of map/zone control. Which squad in responsible for the high ground, and which for the low?
The size of the map leads to a lack of shooting tactics, and more of a chaos tactics. Especially if you are reacting, instead of acting.
I hope with 5 players there were 2 squads. Each squad should have a spawn grenade thrower, with constant communication for conservation of placement relative to time and position.
Watch the freaking red dots on the radar.

Matches:

Clan matches should have matches should be in 2 acts. Each clan should have to play ISA, and then as HGH.
Odd class restrictions seem like you would be rolling into someones trap. If you do not play and strategize during practice with these classes, why accept the match. Or maybe counter with further restrictions?

I am sure the clan members do a lot of these things, or have equivalent or better tactics, but I thought I would just offer up some observations and ideas here...

They would of lost if they had no pistols...

I agree with everything you said. I think we should run gaf rooms/practices with no autobalancing so we can stick together as a faction and figure out how to coordinate instead of having different people on different teams each time, way too much randomness right now, it works for some of us who play games with random in a sense that I can plug right into a random game and do well but against a well-coordinated clan we would get pummeled.
Indifferent2.gif

Firewire

Banned
Anerythristic said:
I switched my main class. I don't have many friends online so I usually play in open rooms. I was mainly playing Engineer but they are a dime a dozen. I noticed the lack of skilled Medics ie, people pick Medic but don't actually play as a medic. I like it alot better, it's rewarding, I helped a room of three guys hold off a rush for a very long time. I just sat back threw healthpacks behind cover and revived :D I also racked up my kills.

Yeah I kind of always stick with the medic class in this game. In most other games I hate being a medic but it feels somehow more rewarding in Killzone 2.

I recently cleared out some room on my friends list, so if you play K2 regularly hit me up with a friends request, just hit up my tag here on Gaf to get my PSN handle. Let me know you are from Gaf when sending the PSN request.

KZObsessed

JardeL said:

Single player: 35 hours
Online BETA: 125 hours
Online Retail: 260 hours

Total: 420 hours of life wasted :lol

Whether or not I end up playing the game for as long as I originally thought during the Beta (probably wont) it's certainly given me A LOT of value for money and I have put more hours into and gotten more hours of enjoyment out of it than any other shooter. Ever. The core experience, when everything goes well, it's more fun than anything. Shame Guerrilla's lack of experience is showing through with a number of bad decisions and some poor implementation of certain features or lack of which stops the game being as truly great as it could have been.

I still love the game tho and will continue to play for a as long as can enjoy it with my fellow GAFe kings :p

10dollas

Banned
Maps are amazingly fun, but still with their issues and oversights. It seems like there is no respawn invincibility when it comes to overhead posts ripping your head off (as Capt Mhead discovered lol). Cagen mentioned deaths after respawning by environmental hazards. Well to anyone considering respawning on top of bullet marsh, don't fool yourself into thinking you might have a couple of seconds to dodge the lampposts with impunity. Spawn invincibility isn't so invincible anymore (at least from what I can tell).

But we will see how these new maps play out once people have mastered the maps and learn to abuse each and every corner. No telling if they will be worth the 6 dollars until then.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Lince no mention FFO :(

FFO <3

nice S&D attack against the IKZ clan, GAFe would never lose to randoms like that, they were ultimately owned, I just don't understand why the switched factions in CC... I'll join you again later today.

and lol at Fersis saying "I should be banned" :lol

Top Bottom