• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

10dollas

Banned
Yeah it is a nice change of pace. Still something felt missing. Playing like this brings back memories from the good old days, day one of killzone 2 where every one was running around with the m82 and the helghast equivalent. Days where there would be one lone shotgunner burying people in the pavement and everyone would be in awe of how'd this lucky sob had this weapon. Pure fun. Still miss meh sniper.

oneHeero

Just played that Hardcore mode w/ GAFe. 2 maps, PR and Saluman.

Um..It slows down the game A LOT. More people kinda camping the back to score kills easier. I think what would happen is that more people would end up camping. KD whores will camp back and kill while others do objectives.

Gameplay slows down a lot, its like when there is a S&D clusterfuck and your just going back and forth trying to gain ground, well the hardcore more is the same thing but w/o the clusterfuck. Its a battle to gain ground.

I had fun personally, but I can see it getting boring really fast. No snipers, no turrets, no ammo crates, no C4 :(.

I'd definitely play it more and hope for more tweaks. Is it possible to have all game modes except S&D in the rotation?>

Zen

Banned
I'd love a limited spawn mode. Granted it could drag on larger maps.

AranhaHunter said:
When does the week "start" and "end"? I wanna go for the Top 1% trophy soon.

I think I hear midnight on sunday?

Facism

oneHeero said:
Just played that Hardcore mode w/ GAFe. 2 maps, PR and Saluman.

Um..It slows down the game A LOT. More people kinda camping the back to score kills easier. I think what would happen is that more people would end up camping. KD whores will camp back and kill while others do objectives.

Gameplay slows down a lot, its like when there is a S&D clusterfuck and your just going back and forth trying to gain ground, well the hardcore more is the same thing but w/o the clusterfuck. Its a battle to gain ground.

I had fun personally, but I can see it getting boring really fast. No snipers, no turrets, no ammo crates, no C4 :(.

I'd definitely play it more and hope for more tweaks. Is it possible to have all game modes except S&D in the rotation?>

That's a fair assessment, i suppose. Anything that removes the bullshit spammy clusterfuck from the MP is already a good, meaningful move to get the game to actually present more natural strategies and player movement and firing. I'm glad the games (on the HGH side, anyway) were more about conscious pushes and holding positions where necessary, whilst maintaining that squad leaders and medics are an actual integral and necessary component for success. At least, more than they are in normal play.

It would be awesome if Squad leaders had a visual distinguishing feature from regular soldiers. White armband on HGH squad leader, black on ISA. You'd know who the mobile spawn point was ;p

Does anyone know if spot and mark will work as it does normally on a game where rader doesn't show up enemy positions?

Kittonwy

Banned
Teknoman said:
So is GAF clan US EAST 1 basically non-existent?

GAF America plays, every night, in teh name of America, from sea to shining sea.
Indifferent2.gif

Pallaris

think i'm playing with you guys currently (hellblazer)... i dont understand why in the last game itw as like 8 v4 (assasination)... does this not autobalance?

Dirtbag

Pallaris said:
think i'm playing with you guys currently (hellblazer)... i dont understand why in the last game itw as like 8 v4 (assasination)... does this not autobalance?
you must be new around here.

Pallaris

yeah too right (JB1981, what's your handle?) I think i was second bottom in the end but good to finish on the winning side. I'd like to think i played my part though. lol

Facism

Full Recovery said:
what the fuck, there is a hardcore mode now? Why wasn't I told about this?

TTP set it up. No enemies on radar, only Riflemen and Medics.

Places more emphasis on meaninful play rhater than bukkake

TheFatOne

Facism said:
TTP set it up. No enemies on radar, only Riflemen and Medics.

Places more emphasis on meaninful play rhater than bukkake

I'm pretty sure it was you or one of your GAFe brothers but fuck you guys for introducing me to this word. Had no idea what the hell this shit was till one of you bastards mentioned it in this thread fuck you guys.

Dirtbag

'hardcore mode' is pretty fun.
Outside of Phryus Ride, absolute shite.

I also think this game style points out the clear advantage certain factions have given certain map layouts.

It's too bad you can't get a sniper rifle in there, that's what the mode is really lacking.
That and the saboteur rifle.. though obvioulsy the saboteur class itself would fuck it up.

I just wish you could enable a class, while disabling it's primary and/or secondary abilities, so you could still have the weapons.

JB1981

shagg_187 said:
OMG I MISSED IT. DAMN U ALL TO HELL!

Can we have a twitter alert on when GAFA starts playing? :p I hate entering the room the last minute :(

Sorry about a few of those TK's. Also Kittonwy, don't be so quick to think a bad revive is to make you a decoy. I didn't realize that the speaker had respawned.

I think TTP's Hardcore play type can use some tweaks. I think that adding the Engineer and Sniper would be fine. I think adding a sniper for larger maps would also be fine. We definitely can't play Pyhrus Rise though. That map is way too big. I think 24 players is about perfect. That way there can be 3 Squad Leaders to spawn on (3 teams of 4) and you won't have to traverse half the map to get back into the action. The Objective game modes are soooo much better without rockets and Tac spawns thrown all over the place. An amazing playlist could really be made out of this. The game plays so much better at this pace.

Capture and Hold is by FAR the best gametype for this imo. The Salamun Market and Corinth Crossing games were amazing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
oneHeero said:

Of course. I was actually thinking to remove it indeed.

I think TTP's Hardcore play type can use some tweaks. I think that adding the Engineer and Sniper would be fine. I think adding a sniper for larger maps would also be fine. We definitely can't play Pyhrus Rise though. That map is way too big. I think 24 players is about perfect. That way there is 3 Squad Leaders to spawn and you won't have to traverse half the map to get back into the action. The Objective game modes are soooo much better without rockets and Tac spawns thrown all over the place. An amazing playlist could really be made out of this. The game plays so much better at this pace.

I think removing S&D could fix that as it is a mode that works only without any kind of respawn. One team defends. One team attacks. Last man standing wins for the team. If there the objective was in the middle of the map, it would have worked fine with the current Hardcore set up. But it is not in most of the maps so I'll probably drop it. Only map where it works is HGH Industries (since both objectives are located in the middle of the map)

I hate hardcore mode :(

Oh and I didn't realize that I could pick SMG until the end of the freaking game when someone shotgun me... :/

Oh and don't worry about the TK JB :) Shite happens. (Oh and I LOVE RIDE! AWESOME MAP :D I missed it though)

Facism

TheFatOne said:
I'm pretty sure it was you or one of your GAFe brothers but fuck you guys for introducing me to this word. Had no idea what the hell this shit was till one of you bastards mentioned it in this thread fuck you guys.

:D curiosity drenched the cat

agree with dirtbag's assessment. you put me down so easily, so many times.

For whatever reason, I've been getting 2-3 second delays from my kills these past couple of games. It was smooth this morning, but I've been getting weird delays like my grenade going off on an enemy and they either aren't affected or if they are, its after they turn around and shoot me (post explosion).

You know what, though? This game really needs a 3D radar system. So many times I've injured or killed a teammate simply because they don't appear on the radar when a few feet higher than my current elevation. I only see the enemies >_<

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dirtbag said:
'hardcore mode' is pretty fun.
Outside of Phryus Ride, absolute shite.

I also think this game style points out the clear advantage certain factions have given certain map layouts.

It's too bad you can't get a sniper rifle in there, that's what the mode is really lacking.
That and the saboteur rifle.. though obvioulsy the saboteur class itself would fuck it up.

I just wish you could enable a class, while disabling it's primary and/or secondary abilities, so you could still have the weapons.

We will try to put Sniper back in and ban S&D. Albeit it all depends on the map really. I wonder if Spot and Mark works when the radar is set to Off.

JB1981

xenorevlis said:
For whatever reason, I've been getting 2-3 second delays from my kills these past couple of games. It was smooth this morning, but I've been getting weird delays like my grenade going off on an enemy and they either aren't affected or if they are, its after they turn around and shoot me (post explosion).

You know what, though? This game really needs a 3D radar system. So many times I've injured or killed a teammate simply because they don't appear on the radar when a few feet higher than my current elevation. I only see the enemies >_<

Are you American? Took me ages to put down the Euros, like at least another half a clip .....

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
xenorevlis said:

That would be so easy to fix. A dot for guys on the same level. An ^ for those above you. And a ^ pointing down for those lower. No need to go 3D after all.

Dirtbag

TTP said:
We will try to put Sniper back in and ban S&D. Albeit it all depends on the map really. I wonder if Spot and Mark works when the radar is set to Off.

well the problem then becomes the scout class itself.. being invisible.
Part of the charm of this mode is no bullshit perks.

it's too bad you can't have ammo bins via repair without turrets via engineer.
Turrets would ruin this mode imo.

JB1981

There were a few occasions where I ran out of ammo but the ammo left behind by the dead was more than enough for a refill. I don't think ammo dumps are really necessary at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dirtbag said:
well the problem then becomes the scout class itself.. being invisible.
Part of the charm of this mode is no bullshit perks.

it's too bad you can't have ammo bins via repair without turrets via engineer.
Turrets would ruin this mode imo.

I totally agree. I just wish all weapons where available for the soldier. And also to be able to allow selected secondary abilities (like repair without engineer). Albeit I dont really want to deal with MG.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :D

TTP said:
That would be so easy to fix. A dot for guys on the same level. An ^ for those above you. And a ^ pointing down for those lower. No need to go 3D after all.
Actually, that IS essentially a 3D radar, but with a 2D map/disc. As it stands, many times team mates don't even show up unless they are relatively at the same level as you.

EDIT - I can't remember the last game that had a radar like that, but I remember there being a system with the dots having lines above or below them to signify elevation. That or the ^v would work. Anyone remember the game I'm describing?

JB1981

It's kinda sad that I think this game is about 100 x better without all the perks. It's like the game was MADE for a Hardcore mode and it never ONCE dawned on the game creators how good the core game is without all the superfluous shit.

-viper-

Banned
TheFatOne said:
bukakke-58285.jpg

That "Hardcore" game was insane. Never have I gone from winning to losing so fast in this game before, nevermind the fact that Lince and FFObsessed were both whispering and laughing everytime they died or fired at someone else. Totally threw me off my game :(

That Blood Gracht match was awesome even though we lost, It was like 6 vs 4 or something and when we had to take out the ISA target I just grabbed a grenade and ran by everyone right into the middle :lol We got him even though my first attempt failed. 1 to 6 :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
It's kinda sad that I think this game is about 100 x better without all the perks. It's like the game was MADE for a Hardcore mode and it never ONCE dawned on the game creators how good the core game is without all the superfluous shit.

As Click said, it reminds the first beta days when everyone was Medic at most. And yeah, it was awesome.

Another thing to notice is how the squad leader becomes a de facto defusable spawn grenade. The hard part is to spot him. But once you do, killing the bastard makes quite a difference.

Dirtbag

Why do people want S&D removed from hardcore mode?
I thought this was the first time the game-mode actually played well.

Also, definitely need to up the kills on body count.

karasu said:
There is no free for all deathmatch?
No, there is no free-for-all anything.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
xenorevlis said:
Actually, that IS essentially a 3D radar, but with a 2D map/disc. As it stands, many times team mates don't even show up unless they are relatively at the same level as you.

EDIT - I can't remember the last game that had a radar like that, but I remember there being a system with the dots having lines above or below them to signify elevation. That or the ^v would work. Anyone remember the game I'm describing?

Holy shit you just made me realize what those lines near the dots in the Battle Replay are for: they represent elevation. I never realized that!

KZObsessed

Good games tonight. This "hardcore mode" is more fun than normal games when you have a good organised team, yet more frustrating when you don't.

So it's awesome for GAF games, but not in a million years would I play this way in a "public" game. I'd pull my hair out. But who cares about public games! Maybe some sort of GAFe v GAFA clan game in this way when everything is sorted and tested?

edit: Leave repair out plz. You just know those sneaky Americans would abuse the MG turrets! :D

JB1981

TTP said:
As Click said, it reminds the first beta days when everyone was Medic at most. And yeah, it was awesome.

Another thing to notice is how the squad leader becomes a de facto defusable spawn grenade. The hard part is to spot him. But once you do, killing the bastard makes quite a difference.

How can you spot an enemy squad leader?

KZObsessed

CrushDance said:
That "Hardcore" game was insane. Never have I gone from winning to losing so fast in this game before, nevermind the fact that Lince and FFObsessed were both whispering and laughing everytime they died or fired at someone else. Totally threw me off my game :(

That Blood Gracht match was awesome even though we lost, It was like 6 vs 4 or something and when we had to take out the ISA target I just grabbed a grenade and ran by everyone right into the middle :lol We got him even though my first attempt failed. 1 to 6 :lol

:lol

Top Bottom