• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zen

Banned
I'm saying saying this as "GG = Fools!" but changing big things about the game (like classes weapon selection and what have you) would be to admit the game has problems, and after spending so much time on it, I doubt a lot of devs who are still involved actually want to upend the table corporately to do that (if in fact they can still see the problems after being deeply involved in the game for years).

Also the remaining GG Killzone 2 Multiplayer team might not have the clout for big changes to the structure of the game?

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe this have already been mentioned in this thread, but i just checked the leaderboards i Killzone 2 to see how many who had gotten 100,000 mission points, and i see that FFObsessed just (so to speak) got over 100.000 points (the leaderboards showed 100,174 points or something). Congratulations to pass over 100,000 points and for getting the highest ranking, FFObsessed! :)

Are there anyone else here who have reached 100,000 points yet?

What is the name of the highest rank by the way? I have about 35,000 points and my rank is "General of the Army" or something.

EDIT: About the Killzone 2 control changing talk in the next patch, is that going to happend or is it speculation or a rumour?

Facism

Lince also hit 100,000, but that's because he and FFO use KZ2 as an avenue to practice their forbidden love without anyone knowing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ho-lee hell, GG needs to put the name of the person who dropped the spawn grenade on the spawn screen (so I can go murder their dumb ass).

Where are you GAFA? Playing with randoms is soo frustrating.

-viper-

Banned
Zen said:
They aren't adding twitch controls. They're giving players the option to play the game with the original control sensitivties.
what's the point in that? i'd rather they'd keep the game CONSISTENT FOR EVERYONE.

Zen

Banned
/Shrug I don't see what the big deal is if its optional. I'm sure the default setup will be with the current control balances. Personally I prefered the pre patch controls, so it's nice to have the option.

A lot of people complained when the controls were in the original form

A lot of people complained when GG changed them to their current itteration

So just give people the option

KZObsessed

test_account said:
Maybe this have already been mentioned in this thread, but i just checked the leaderboards i Killzone 2 to see how many who had gotten 100,000 mission points, and i see that FFObsessed just (so to speak) got over 100.000 points (the leaderboards showed 100,174 points or something). Congratulations to pass over 100,000 points and for getting the highest ranking, FFObsessed! :)

Are there anyone else here who have reached 100,000 points yet?

What is the name of the highest rank by the way? I have about 35,000 points and my rank is "General of the Army" or something.

Thanx! Lince is also at 100k and he got there just before me dammit! :p

The rank is called "Commander in Chief"

careful

I appreciate GG giving people the control flexibility, but at this point I'm afraid it's too late already. Most of the guys that stuck with KZ2 are used to the controls by now and the mass of people that left because of the controls are not coming back.

Unless Sony plans to make another big marketing push when they announce a price drop. It would also require patching the demo, because I know a lot of folks never bothered to get past the demo.

dwin45

What's the consensus on the Steel & Titanium pack? I just started playing again after a few weeks and am wondering if I should pick the map pack up or not.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zen said:
They aren't adding twitch controls. They're giving players the option to play the game with the original control sensitivties.
:O

Seriously?
I hope they make it back how it was in the beta. Cause I'll be getting a ps3 soon and I'll be playing KZ2 in no time.

Cagen

dwin45 said:
What's the consensus on the Steel & Titanium pack? I just started playing again after a few weeks and am wondering if I should pick the map pack up or not.

Don't waste your money, the maps aren't in most of the rotations any more, they were only played majorly the week they were released. Neither map is great with one being absolutely horrible. I would buy the "Flash and Thunder" pack when it is available and forget about "Steel and Titanium", they will be played a lot when they are released.

dwin45

Cagen said:
Don't waste your money, the maps aren't in most of the rotations any more, they were only played majorly the week they were released. Neither map is great with one being absolutely horrible. I would buy the "Flash and Thunder" pack when it is available and forget about "Steel and Titanium", they will be played a lot when they are released.
Not in most rotations anymore? Already? The pack was only released about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dwin45 said:
Not in most rotations anymore? Already? The pack was only released about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

People quickly realized no one was able to join their mixed (old and new) maps rotation game so they decided to remove them completely rather than make a new maps only game.

TheFatOne

Rick, FFO, AJ , and I made the most epic comeback, but I can't get the fucking battle replay argghhhh fuck you GG.

Finally fixed it self. Prepare for the most epic comeback.

http://killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=5143170&kz_file_id=4693362

This game was so much fun. The battle replay lies a bit though. We were down a player at the end of the match. The other team was walking so much shit about how they were up 3 nothing. My favorite Killzone 2 game by far. All four of us were not serious until the last two rounds were we thought we could win. So so awesome

mr_nothin

Banned
-viper- said:
what's the point in that? i'd rather they'd keep the game CONSISTENT FOR EVERYONE.
Being able to have REALLY high sensitivities vs REALLY low sensitivities is consistent huh?
Also, being able to invert controls is pretty consistent too huh?

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
Rick, FFO, AJ , and I made the most epic comeback, but I can't get the fucking battle replay argghhhh fuck you GG.

http://killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=5143170&kz_file_id=4693362

This game was so much fun. The battle replay lies a bit though. We were down a player at the end of the match. The other team was walking so much shit about how they were up 3 nothing. My favorite Killzone 2 game by far. All four of us were not serious until the last two rounds were we thought we could win. So so awesome

Probably the most awesome game in KZ2 history. God these battle replays suck tho, they had like 2-3 more players than us the whole match. And a few of their players are missing or have been put on our side! wtf.

Lince & I destroyed the same group the other day, but we were playing properly. Today was just hilarious, can't believe we were able to beat them so easily, while messing around so much.

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
Probably the most awesome game in KZ2 history. God these battle replays suck tho, they had like 2-3 more players than us the whole match. And a few of their players are missing or have been put on our side! wtf.

Lince & I destroyed the same group the other day, but we were playing properly. Today was just hilarious, can't believe we were able to beat them so easily, while messing around so much.

Most fun game I have had.

lunlunqq

TheFatOne said:

:lol :lol :lol i was watching you guys because the game was full. it was epic and hilarious with so much trash-talking and teabagging going on.

Zen

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Most bodycount games have everything enabled, or rockets disabled so that weapon is pretty useless. Especially if I have a shotgun + boost. Close quarters I will dominate and the gun isn't accurate enough to get me. Plus at a longer distance I could just snipe you with the M4. You can dominate with this gun in certain situations though.

Edit: I think I am thinking about the right gun. This is the light machine gun right?

Maybe I should face you sometime so we can see how your boost + Shotgun compares to the high damage/bullet rate of the Helghast Light Machine gun. Frankly it can be a very accurate weapon as long as you remember that crouching is key, as well as quick bursts or taps along with zoom sights. Sure an ISA Rifle can pick you off from far distances, but at close/medium and somewhat long range it's a monster in action. The key is proper positioning and reading the flow of the battle. It's capable of far greater accuracy than I think you realize. I've practically sniped with it depending on the map. :p

The only map it's ill suited for (this is if there aren't spawns laid down) is PR, it's a killing machine on virtually every other map. You just have to learn how to handle it. It's the definitive grunt front lines weapon (Aside from cheap rockets, thankfully those are usually turned off).

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
People quickly realized no one was able to join their mixed (old and new) maps rotation game so they decided to remove them completely rather than make a new maps only game.

that was a serious mistake by Guerrilla, splitting the community so aggressively and hurting themselves from a commercial point of view, very little thought was put into the DLC and see how it paid off, I think sales were insanely low and the maps got already old in 3 days. Who's the lead designer of KZ2 multiplayer?

wow and congrats guys for that comeback, yes I remember I faced the same guys the other day with FFO and managed another win, they do have some top ranks dudes within that group of players but honestly teamwork always makes the difference.

edit: Scarano from WAW clan (Italy), you might not read GAF but you're an awesome player and a nice guy to play and talk with, hope the KZ2 community had tons of this kind of players, simply a pleasure to play with these guys competitively. I guess Cagen, Raist and FFO agree.

Thrakier

Splitting the community via map packs ALWAYS sucks. I hate it. Keep the game alive through maps and sell other shit. Or at LEAST make a price where almost everybody is going to buy it. 5,99€ for 2 maps is a joke.

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
Splitting the community via map packs ALWAYS sucks. I hate it.

sucks more when you have playlists with official non-DLC maps that people can't join because some shitty train map is there to be played in 2 hours. Can't believe they didn't test this or if they did how it got approved.

tiddles

Lince said:
that was a serious mistake by Guerrilla, splitting the community so aggressively and hurting themselves from a commercial point of view, very little thought was put into the DLC and see how it paid off, I think sales were insanely low and the maps got already old in 3 days. Who's the lead designer of KZ2 multiplayer?

Out of interest, are there any MP games out there that let you play in rotations with maps you don't own, then presumably kick you out when you get to a map you don't have? Most games I've seen don't let you join a rotation if you don't own all the maps, but I'd be interested to know about other games that do it differently...

ps. I am not the lead designer of KZ2 MP, by the way :D

tiddles

Lince said:
tiddles, when are you releasing "The Patch" ? do you know if host info will be available before joining a game?

Should be out very soon, can't say much but hopefully it will have at least some of the features that people have been asking for.

Regarding the new controls options, I can reassure people that it's not suddenly going to control like COD... the options make aiming a little smoother for newcomers, but you still need the same skill to be good, and if you've become expert with the current controls you can choose to stick with what you're used to or use the new options, it's up to you. I'm pretty certain you're not going to feel you're suddenly doing worse in comparison to others because they're using the new options and you're not...

ChryZ

tiddles said:
Out of interest, are there any MP games out there that let you play in rotations with maps you don't own, then presumably kick you out when you get to a map you don't have? Most games I've seen don't let you join a rotation if you don't own all the maps, but I'd be interested to know about other games that do it differently
I wouldn't care how other games handle it, if there is clearly a chance to make an improvement.

Present the player with an info screen before join. Show setup details (FF on/off, game mode setups, auto-balance, etc) and a list of the upcoming maps incl a warning of possible kick in case of DLC maps.

Thrakier

At this point I welcome if the controls get changed. It's hard to get into KZ2 if you only play oncen in a while. I know that the controls clicked in the week where I got the 1% badge but now I always have problems to get used to it again...

Lince

Banned
tiddles said:
Should be out very soon, can't say much but hopefully it will have at least some of the features that people have been asking for.

Regarding the new controls options, I can reassure people that it's not suddenly going to control like COD... the options make aiming a little smoother for newcomers, but you still need the same skill to be good, and if you've become expert with the current controls you can choose to stick with what you're used to or use the new options, it's up to you. I'm pretty certain you're not going to feel you're suddenly doing worse in comparison to others because they're using the new options and you're not...

thanks for the answers, I think everybody will be using the "smoother" aim immediately anyway.

tiddles said:
Out of interest, are there any MP games out there that let you play in rotations with maps you don't own, then presumably kick you out when you get to a map you don't have? Most games I've seen don't let you join a rotation if you don't own all the maps, but I'd be interested to know about other games that do it differently...

Warhawk does this. You can play in the rotation then it boots you when the DLC map comes up.

Still a bit pensive about the control stuff, but we'll see. I'm interested in the other stuff. BTW does this fix the tac spawn glitch when two people throw the green smoke at the same time?

Ashhong

wait they are adding different control sensitivity options? i was hyped for this game until the demo, which threw me off. i had way too hard of a time aiming for some reason. i will definitely pick this up if its better now

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
tiddles said:

What about this, make the DLC download mandatory (Like a patch) and when someone enters a game with those maps WITHOUT buying them you enter Spectactor mode.
(That way the player dont lose his 'place' on the game)
Probably someone with better english can explain it better.:lol
BTW awesome Single Player, how about some SP DLC ?:D

Dubbedinenglish said:
Warhawk does this. You can play in the rotation then it boots you when the DLC map comes up.
ENOUGH with the Wowhawk does this!!! So it has four player split screen, so it has next to no lag, so it has awesome gameplay, so it has 32 player online, so it has a lot of active players SO WHAT! These are common in almost every game released these days!

Lince

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
ENOUGH with the Wowhawk does this!!! So it has four player split screen, so it has next to no lag, so it has awesome gameplay, so it has 32 player online, so it has a lot of active players SO WHAT! These are common in almost every game released these days!

and dedicated servers, and reserved slots for friends... AND HOST CONNECTION TEST !!!!

test_account

XP-39C²
Facism said:
Lince also hit 100,000, but that's because he and FFO use KZ2 as an avenue to practice their forbidden love without anyone knowing.
Ah ok, cool :) Congratulation to Lince for reaching over 100,000 points as well! :)

FFObsessed said:
Thanx! Lince is also at 100k and he got there just before me dammit! :p
Hehe, at least you both got it now :) I am still missing about 65,000 points hehe :\

FFObsessed said:
The rank is called "Commander in Chief"
Ok, thanks for the info! :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yeah, congrats to FFObsessed and Lince for crossing 100k.

I'm having trouble getting to 10k after finally starting to replay the multi-player recently.

Thrakier

Tenkai Star said:

Not on consoles....

test_account

XP-39C²
Thrakier said:
Splitting the community via map packs ALWAYS sucks. I hate it. Keep the game alive through maps and sell other shit. Or at LEAST make a price where almost everybody is going to buy it. 5,99€ for 2 maps is a joke.
About Killzone 2, did the community really get split after the DLC map pack though? Or which community do you mean, clans or people who "just play" Killzone 2 in general on more random public servers?

When i play Killzone 2 now, i so to say always choose "any map" when i search for servers, and i guess it has been maybe 2 weeks or so since i have played on a server that had the DLC maps in the map rotation. So i dont know how popular these maps are, or how much "damage" (in regards of splitting the community) these map did :) There are also many servers to chose from (at least in the EU region, i havnt really checked out the other regions), so i dont have any problems finding a server fast if i want to play.

The leaderboards also have also had about 19k-20k of people that have played each week since the release of the Killzone 2 maps (i would guess that many of these players are new players though, but i would also guess that many of these players are people who have been played Killzone 2 for a while as well) :)

Going by these things, i personally havnt felt that the Killzone 2 community in general have been splitted since it is easy for me to find servers and there are still many people who are playing Killzone 2. But on the other hand, i am not really a active clan player and i so to say always play on public servers only. (i am in a clan, but that is just me and one other person, and the other person havnt played Killzone 2 in some weeks or so. Both of us have the DLC maps though, so that is not the reason why the other person have stopped to play, i guess the other person got a bit tired of Killzone 2).

But that said, i do agree that it would be a good idea to release DLC map packs for a pretty low price so almost everyone (or at least more people) would buy them as you say. I also wish that they would release at least one new and free map, so everyone could play on this map for free :)

Thrakier said:
Not on consoles....
sarcasm_1.jpg

Clinton514

I don't think the community is split. I do think that many didn't buy the map packs or simply neglect them from their map rotations.

In my observations, it seems like the EU servers have both new maps in rotation more often than that US servers.

Lince

Banned
test_account said:
i am in a clan, but that is just me and one other person, and the other person havnt played Killzone 2 in some weeks or so.

sad to hear but why don't you just join GAFe? we play every night just for fun, apply now!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thrakier said:
Either it splits the community or you will never play the new maps. Like in Warhwak. I almost never played some of the add-ons.
R2 is the same, tonz of people playing the regular maps almost no one plays the DLC.
I think it happens on every game.

Ploid 3.0

Finally beat KZ2, and I like going back to that mech segment. They need a new mission for that thing. Make it very long, heck make it a PSN game.

Fersis

Ploid 3.0 said:
Finally beat KZ2, and I like going back to that mech segment. They need a new mission for that thing. Make it very long, heck make it a PSN game.
KZ2 SP is my favourite FPS SP ever.
So fun and entertaining. Mad props to Guerrilla Games.
And just my personal request for KZ3:
Kill Rico... kill it twice :mad:

Top Bottom