• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
so the trophies for the next map pack are up already in the patch. Same ones as the S&T, but on the new maps.

JB1981

not sure how i feel about high precision controls yet ... though i did get a lot of kills (which is unusual) and my shots registered really well (did they improve the netcode?)

KZObsessed

Still in a 16 player game you can have 11 vs 5 which happened just then :lol

And I thought we were supposed to be able to switch mid game if team is unbalanced? Lince & I tried then but we couldn't?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i start up my Killzone 2 and i get a message something like this:
'The latest update has been founded : 0.00':lol
I sart downloading and instead of saying the name of the download it says the name of the package like :UP9000-BCUS98116_00-DKILLZONE2000001-A0127-V0101-PE.pkg

Ok... BCUS98116 its Killzone 2 BluRay ID ... A0127 V0101 is the build .. but what UP9000 and PE means?
Just being curious.

-viper-

Banned
Fersis said:
I sart downloading and instead of saying the name of the download it says the name of the package like :UP9000-BCUS98116_00-DKILLZONE2000001-A0127-V0101-PE.pkg

Ok... BCUS98116 its Killzone 2 BluRay ID ... A0127 V0101 is the build .. but what UP9000 and PE means?
Just being curious.
wait, what?

Facism

XxBigP123xX said:
Still can't skip the start up logos...

you'll never be able to, either, it was patched in. After the first time, i'm pretty sure we all know who made the game and published it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, I know it's a weird world, but I have a few buddies who play this game religiously but don't do the board thing and they are both considering quitting over the spawn thing. They say every game turns into a camp fest. I totally get what people here are saying about that being abused before, but wow do they hate it :lol

JoJo13

Banned
Game is basically fine now.

People complaining about controls now have nothing to complain about.

Gameplay is more balanced.

Joining friends is easier.

Wish they had done this before the game launched.

Musashi Wins! said:
Man, I know it's a weird world, but I have a few buddies who play this game religiously but don't do the board thing and they are both considering quitting over the spawn thing. They say every game turns into a camp fest. I totally get what people here are saying about that being abused before, but wow do they hate it :lol

The spawn fix was badly needed. Tell them to spawn on a squad leader.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Umm...I installed the update and my game won't boot up. The PS3 isn't frozen, because I can still access the XMB and such. All I see is a black screen. :\

Anyone else? Granted I don't have a proper retail copy like everyone else. I have a 100% complete pre-retail disc, it's basically the full game playable on any PS3, just doesn't have a graphic slapped on the top of the disc. But it's worked perfectly fine before with all of the other patches.

fizzelopeguss said:
Ok, the controls are MILES better now, finally finished the game, that end section is still a bitch though.
I just finished it too! New controls made me want to try again. I quit at the last section months ago becuase I died several times. I never bothered to go back to finish because i've been busy with work and college. For some reason my checkpoint was further back from when I left off last. Regardless, I finished the end part just now and only died twice.

tiddles

AlphaSnake said:
Umm...I installed the update and my game won't boot up. The PS3 isn't frozen, because I can still access the XMB and such. All I see is a black screen. :\

Anyone else? Granted I don't have a proper retail copy like everyone else. I have a 100% complete pre-retail disc, it's basically the full game playable on any PS3, just doesn't have a graphic slapped on the top of the disc. But it's worked perfectly fine before with all of the other patches.

Try deleting the update data and re-downloading? Otherwise, it could be that there are differences between the press versions and the final retail build... :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fersis said:

Just being curious.

That's odd...almost looks like you downloaded a package file that can only be read by debug PS3s. :\

tiddles

FFObsessed said:
Still in a 16 player game you can have 11 vs 5 which happened just then :lol

And I thought we were supposed to be able to switch mid game if team is unbalanced? Lince & I tried then but we couldn't?

Go to the Factions tab on the spawn screen, and you should see the option there to switch faction. You have to be dead, though, you can't switch if you're alive and in the game. Also, don't forget you can only switch if you're on the team with the larger number.

EDIT: Hopefully people will create more games with Faction Balance on now that you can join the same faction as your friends, join persistent squads etc. On a similar note, I really hope people create more games with Assault and Rockets turned on after the latest patch, now that Assaults have less armour and people can't abuse spawn point invincibility... the original purpose of the Assault is attacking well-defended mission objectives, so it does give a bit of an advantage to defenders when people exclude this class.

Melfice7

YoungHav said:
a lot of thought and creativity going in to those trophies eh? :lol

Actually i think its a good idea, they force you to play with all classes, that way you get to learn all the tricks and whatnot of new maps

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-viper- said:
wait, what?
What? I think that all my life i wrote wath ... damn :/
I should have listen to Stone Cold StevWHAT!?
FFObsessed said:
Learning some Spanish from Lince huh?

AlphaSnake said:
That's odd...almost looks like you downloaded a package file that can only be read by debug PS3s. :\
Yeah its what i tought but sadly i dont have a Debug unit :(

I couldnt try the patch because my PSN wont stay connected for more than 1 or 2 minutes

KZObsessed

tiddles said:
Go to the Factions tab on the spawn screen, and you should see the option there to switch faction. You have to be dead, though, you can't switch if you're alive and in the game. Also, don't forget you can only switch if you're on the team with the larger number.

EDIT: Hopefully people will create more games with Faction Balance on now that you can join the same faction as your friends, join persistent squads etc. On a similar note, I really hope people create more games with Assault and Rockets turned on after the latest patch, now that Assaults have less armour and people can't abuse spawn point invincibility... the original purpose of the Assault is attacking well-defended mission objectives, so it does give a bit of an advantage to defenders when people exclude this class.

ahhh you have to be dead! That makes sense, should have realised that. ;)

Auto Balanced games are definitely the way to go now. You can play with your friends and it's balanced. None balanced games just stack the teams automatically now as it sticks all your friends on one team.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
ahhh you have to be dead! That makes sense, should have realised that. ;)

I told you like 3 times that I tried when I was dead and couldn't find the damn option to switch, maybe this only works for games with auto-balance?

KZObsessed

Lince said:
I told you like 3 times that I tried when I was dead and couldn't find the damn option to switch, maybe this only works for games with auto-balance?

oh I thought you were alive when you tried, mi amor.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
oh I thought you were alive when you tried, mi amor.

mi amor? :lol :lol

we should play again later today (I'm hooked with Infamous right now)... and for the love of God, let's beat U2b coop once for all, our last try made us look silly ! :lol

KZObsessed

Lince said:
mi amor? :lol :lol

we should play again later today (I'm hooked with Infamous right now)... and for the love of God, let's beat U2b coop once for all, our last try made us look silly ! :lol

:lol Yes! We can beat it! Last night we were just too tired, that's the excuse :p KZ2 and U2b tonight, definitely.

I'm gonna play inFAMOUS now that I'm home. Yeah, really addictive.

careful

So what's the verdict on the assault "re-balancing"?
I've seen a few posts on the official boards saying how it's now completely balanced and should be unbanned in games (couple of guys even complained it's now underpowered - lol).
To me 50 less armor doesn't seem like that big a chance and I think they would still be overpowered with boost and 125% health recharge.
I haven't played with 1.27 yet, so I can't make a definitive comment, but would you guys start unbanning Assault? I don't know if I would. I sort of got used to playing without boost and I think the game is better off without it.

Kittonwy

Banned
The game plays alot faster now that the assaults have less health and the spawns are no longer invulnerable, also the high sensivity thing makes people go down faster when I shoot at them, even without dialing up the x-sensivity it's faster than my regular turning speed, doesn't seem to help my game much though. I went like 46-23 in the last game I played, I pretty much play exactly the same way.

careful

Just played a quick round of skirmish 1.27 to check out the high precision. To be honest, I didn't feel much difference. I do play with pretty low sensitivities though (X+3, Y+4) so I guess I wouldn't feel the change as much. Probably helped the transition that I also haven't played regularly in weeks.

Man, the airbots are AWESOME now. :lol

Playing as ISA in Tharsis Depot, I throw out spawn grenades at the opposite end of the Helgast base. Just right next to the open doorways facing the ISA base. Then I place airbots and I just murder people. Getting a lot of kills with the airbots. :lol :lol

P.S. It wasn't so fun during Radec. Bastards kept placing C4 and hiding near the spawn points. My team got our asses kicked. I try placing spawn grenades near enemy activity, but still a distance like on stairways.

Zen

Banned
Turrets are too powerful now IMO. They deal sick damage and take an absurd amount of damage to kill. Before turret placement required straegy and some skill, now it's just place and forget. Also the Air bots should do about the same DMG as their doing now imo but move the health back down a bit, their much better at tragetting etc, and that should stay for sure.

And I still say that having a proximity restriction for spawn grenades would have been the best way to go versus just removing invinsibility.

lunlunqq

You guys all abandoned KZ2... I was fighting a losing battle alone tonight... :( I did manage to out score the winning team despite losing the game...
1zxxks1.jpg

dwin45

Zen said:
Turrets are too powerful now IMO. They deal sick damage and take an absurd amount of damage to kill. Before turret placement required straegy and some skill, now it's just place and forget. Also the Air bots should do about the same DMG as their doing now imo but move the health back down a bit, their much better at tragetting etc, and that should stay for sure.

And I still say that having a proximity restriction for spawn grenades would have been the best way to go versus just removing invinsibility.
Yeah airbots are too strong now. GG should keep their damage up but reduce their health a bit. Also, there should be a second or two of invincibility after being revived by a medic. It's a joke when you get revived and you're guy stands up facing a corner and you don't even have time to turn around before you're dead.

Having said all that the game does feel much improved since the patch.

lunlunqq

dwin45 said:
Yeah airbots are too strong now. GG should keep their damage up but reduce their health a bit. Also, there should be a second or two of invincibility after being revived by a medic. It's a joke when you get revived and you're guy stands up facing a corner and you don't even have time to turn around before you're dead.

Having said all that the game does feel much improved since the patch.

no... the airbots are useful now. they used to be shit. now this is how it should be. you know the turrets will automatically attack the airbots with missiles, right? so the airbots should be better at killing soldiers to balance it.

Zen

Banned
lunlunqq said:
no... the airbots are useful now. they used to be shit. now this is how it should be. you know the turrets will automatically attack the airbots with missiles, right? so the airbots should be better at killing soldiers to balance it.

However turrets were tweaked to be less effective at targetting Airbots than they were previously. The airbots now having a much larger area of manuvering relative to where you've placed the emmiter. Those Sentry are everywhere now and just when you start shooting them they take off and reposition themselves in this crazy angle. The increased evasion/mobility is great, they just feel a little over powered in the health department.

But maybe this will justify the role of the Assault class now with the uber DMG/Health of the turrets/airbots (and this might ultimately make a better game). I liked being able to take out a turret 1v1 before, and I liked being an engineer and having to be smart about my turret placements. Not that you can just be stupid about it, but prior it required a certain amount of strategem that I did enjoy.

I still believe that proximity restrictions for S&D along with reducing the spawn invinsibility (instead of removing it) would have been better, but I could be wrong. You still get the same clusterfucks with S&D as you use to, just with faster deaths.

JB1981

I find it MUCH easier to get kills while on the move and shooting from the hip w/ Precision Controls. I am also getting SO MANY MORE kills now that there is no more spawn invincibility. I spawn camp like a motherfucker :lol

Rikyfree

JB1981 said:
I find it MUCH easier to get kills while on the move and shooting from the hip w/ Precision Controls. I am also getting SO MANY MORE kills now that there is no more spawn invincibility. I spawn camp like a motherfucker :lol
Just if you don't do it too much, well not the nades, but the starting spawn. If you did that, I would have much harsher words :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
JB1981 said:

Everyone spawn camps like a motherfucker. I think they listened to forums too much haha.

tfur

Game plays a lot better now.

You now fear the air bots. It takes time to kill them, and they can kill you. You now have to find cover from them. It really makes the air bot part of the tactics of the game now.

The controls with "high precision" mode do seem better for me. I find that I am more accurate with the default rifle.

The lack of spawn invulnerability is shocking at first, but it makes the game much better. You have to really think about where you place spawns. You better have protection for your spawn, be it walls, turrets, air bots or players. Also, be prepared for spawn camping, and placing spawns to flank said spawn camping.

Classes matter now. Tacticians are more important than ever, and supporting classes work better now. Medics are needed to keep bases full of living team mates be it in a offensive or defensive roll. Engineers are needed to protect or defend spawn points with turrets. The lack of spawn invincibility makes the game more even, and tactical.

Great patch.

Top Bottom