• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zen

Banned
Bad patch, sorry guys. :lol

Seriously, I was playing last night and a game with Rockets on is even worse then ever. I can't compose my thoughts to properly explain just how shitty it is now, and no, I'm not spawning into death and rage quiting. One thing I can touch on is because there's no longer any spawn invinsibility and -you semi need Rockets against encampment- generic rocket spawn is worse than ever,doubly more effective, and game destroying.

Again proximity restriction for dynamic spawns with 1-2 (instead of the 4 it was before) second spawn invincibility would be best. With 1-2 second invincibility you prevent instant deaths with C4 camping -Someone went up to a spawn last night and just meleed, getting 10 kills- but still allowing for a general effectiveness of containment of spawns while still giving teams a small chance.

At least the assault has less health but the game would still be better with rockets outright banned, limited spawn invincibility, and proximity restriction for dynamic spawns for S&D.

Classes are somewhat more important, but that's offset by the game just turning into more of a clusterfuck far easier since removing spawn invincibility has started to create s many more cheap exploits than rocket spam.

lunlunqq

tfur said:
Game plays a lot better now.

You now fear the air bots. It takes time to kill them, and they can kill you. You now have to find cover from them. It really makes the air bot part of the tactics of the game now.

The controls with "high precision" mode do seem better for me. I find that I am more accurate with the default rifle.

The lack of spawn invulnerability is shocking at first, but it makes the game much better. You have to really think about where you place spawns. You better have protection for your spawn, be it walls, turrets, air bots or players. Also, be prepared for spawn camping, and placing spawns to flank said spawn camping.

Classes matter now. Tacticians are more important than ever, and supporting classes work better now. Medics are needed to keep bases full of living team mates be it in a offensive or defensive roll. Engineers are needed to protect or defend spawn points with turrets. The lack of spawn invincibility makes the game more even, and tactical.

Great patch.

exactly! the patch just made every class useful as they are supposed to be. it's so much fun to play now.

BTW, hi my fellow GAFA members. you are a bunch of deserters! just because there is a newer hotter girl (uncharted 2) in town, you all betrayed our course!!! you are all traitors!!! :mad:

someone gives me a spare u2 code plz... :'(

So apparently killing a bot now counts as a kill, is this new or was it there prior to this patch? Either way this is good, I never bothered with them before because I would get no points or kills and would just waste ammo.

Oozer3993

AranhaHunter said:
So apparently killing a bot now counts as a kill, is this new or was it there prior to this patch? Either way this is good, I never bothered with them before because I would get no points or kills and would just waste ammo.

Bots have always gotten you a point.

Zen

Banned
Although I was playing on Tharthis Depot, which sucks, but it was still the worst experience on Tharsis Depot I have evr had by a large margin. I've played roughly 3 hours post patch and it generally just isn't as fun, although the aiming is nice.

Unfortunately GG would have to be pretty gutsy to completely remove the rocket launcher from the game, even though they should. Its a dumb fucking weapon that makes any game with it in completely broken. I really enjoy games where all of Assaults weapons are blocked out, making them like a scavenger class by boosting out onto the field with just a pistol in search of dropped weapons. Feels great and tense.

Have been having some awesome fun games the past weekend. I'd say one thing that shouldnt have been tweaked is turrets HP. I used to be able to charge at a turret and unleash a whole clip into it to wreck it, now thats not possible. Great to have AirBots finally of use though!

Also I didn't know Killzone 2 supported XMB custom soundtracks! Thats awesome!

JB1981

SecretBonusPoint said:
Unfortunately GG would have to be pretty gutsy to completely remove the rocket launcher from the game, even though they should. Its a dumb fucking weapon that makes any game with it in completely broken. I really enjoy games where all of Assaults weapons are blocked out, making them like a scavenger class by boosting out onto the field with just a pistol in search of dropped weapons. Feels great and tense.

Have been having some awesome fun games the past weekend. I'd say one thing that shouldnt have been tweaked is turrets HP. I used to be able to charge at a turret and unleash a whole clip into it to wreck it, now thats not possible. Great to have AirBots finally of use though!

Also I didn't know Killzone 2 supported XMB custom soundtracks! Thats awesome!

I'm pretty sure GG thinks that the mayhem is what makes the game good. How wrong they are.

dork: they enabled it for tact spawn, not base spawn (i think).

dorkimoe

JB1981 said:
I'm pretty sure GG thinks that the mayhem is what makes the game good. How wrong they are.

dork: they enabled it for tact spawn, not base spawn (i think).

oh well that would make more sense and be smart i think

seems fair

Seep

I went on last night for the first time in weeks received the update and two trophies Valor Citation and Wargod Ribbon WTF?

Seep

It's the two hardest medals I think. they must have seen me play and felt sorry for me and just gave me them. :lol :lol

YoungHav

Banned
Melfice7 said:
Actually i think its a good idea, they force you to play with all classes, that way you get to learn all the tricks and whatnot of new maps
It's unimaginative and weak. Imagine if Mario Kart had the following trophies: "Throw 5 red shells on rainbow road", "Throw 5 red shells on Moo Moo Farms"... etc... BORING. Especially since these trophies are just a rehash of the ribbons (that had everyone playing for self instead of for team to begin with).

borsdy

Banned
yeah boring bronze trophies again sucks :/

anyone else getting killed by the tweaked air support from indoors? my friend and i were hgh on the map industries and we were defending our snd objective, he was defusing a bomb and the bots flying outside killed him with a headshot!

Zen

Banned
If they're going to remove Spawn invincibility they might as well allow the Dynamic spawn to have a camera or show icons for what's going on around it within a certain distance. Without headsets it's all to easy to just spawn into a death trap.

JoJo13

Banned
I wish they'd just offer these map packs for free so that they'd actually get used.

I'm going to get the new maps when they come out, but it really does ruin the game that after a week I know I'll never use them again because others won't have them.

Zen said:
If they're going to remove Spawn invincibility they might as well allow the Dynamic spawn to have a camera or show icons for what's going on around it within a certain distance. Without headsets it's all to easy to just spawn into a death trap.

Usually they always have a camera unless it's a tight corridor.

I actually enjoyed after the update. I watched an opposing team continuously spawn at a grenade that was being camped. Seriously that is just their fault when they could have spawned at the base and came up behind half the opposing team and taken them out.

I still think rank games with all classes should have friendly fire on. That really tames down the rockets in those matches.

TheFatOne

I feel bad for Kitton, Lun, and Joe :lol :lol :lol I'm just too good as a tactician. BTW some advice for getting rid of bad tacticians curse them out. Two people tried to vote me out but I didn't give a shit. I just told them to stop fucking playing tact it was embarrassing :lol

BTW if I wasn't on the other team they would have lost badly. I planted,defended, made sure every spawn was up, etc...

.GqueB.

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I feel bad for Kitton, Lun, and Joe :lol :lol :lol I'm just too good as a tactician. BTW some advice for getting rid of bad tacticians curse them out. Two people tried to vote me out but I didn't give a shit. I just told them to stop fucking playing tact it was embarrassing :lol

BTW if I wasn't on the other team they would have lost badly. I planted,defended, made sure every spawn was up, etc...
I dont even bother with that class anymore. I feel like Im sending people to die :lol Theres a looooooot of camping going on. I was kinda doing it too though. Its hard to resist.

teepo

yesh, i have to get used to the precision controls. they work exactly as described but it made sniping much much more precise and in doing so, much much harder.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheFatOne said:

I couldn't put up a single spawn because some fucking moron was hogging the spawns AND putting them in the worst places possible AND all his spawns were facing the wrong direction so they were useless. The game is just not made for idiots and playing with idiots is fucking frustrating.
Indifferent2.gif

TheFatOne

Kittonwy said:
I couldn't put up a single spawn because some fucking moron was hogging the spawns AND putting them in the worst places possible AND all his spawns were facing the wrong direction so they were useless. The game is just not made for idiots and playing with idiots is fucking frustrating.
Indifferent2.gif

:lol That's how I lost the first 2 games. Then I said fuck it and you could probably hear me cursing those idiots out. When they tried to vote me out I laughed. I said "notice how we are winning now. Don't fuck up my fucking spawn rotation you guys are fucking embarrassing" and that was that. After a couple minutes of that they stopped throwing spawns down. I don't get random games sometimes. Don't people want good tacticians? If I'm putting up great spawn points why fuck it up.

.GqueB. said:
I dont even bother with that class anymore. I feel like Im sending people to die :lol Theres a looooooot of camping going on. I was kinda doing it too though. Its hard to resist.

That's the nature of the beast. People are going to spawn camp. You just have to minimize the damage as much as possible.

EazyB

Banned
Only had the time to get a single game in which sucked cause I had so much fun I wanted to keep playing.

I love the spawn vulnerability, almost as much as I love how people haven't learned that you shouldn't throw a spawn down in a heavily trafficed area or on an objective. The controls are finally where they should be. I got by with the old ones but the game feels much tighter now. If this keeps up and I can find some people to play with, I my invest some heavy time into the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I hate hate hate the airbots now. 4 spurts and I'm down, yet they now take 8 shots to down. If they were going to bump up the firepower, they should have made them more vulnerable. And fucking spawn camping.... Why did they not just have it so neither person could be harmed when someone spawned?

I think I'm switching back to the old controls.

mr_nothin

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
I hate hate hate the airbots now. 4 spurts and I'm down, yet they now take 8 shots to down. If they were going to bump up the firepower, they should have made them more vulnerable. And fucking spawn camping.... Why did they not just have it so neither person could be harmed when someone spawned?

I think I'm switching back to the old controls.
They protect the spawn points!
Awesome!

Well they found a nice workaround for the missing party feature, not the ideal solution, but it's okay. Hopefully they learned their lesson and will include a party feature in Killzone 3.

Apocryphon

I'm replaying the campaign using the 'high precision' option added in the patch. I've captured a couple of HD videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wm68LP8cLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cS5mVExdPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1mN4s3bPk

My initial impressions are that the controls are much improved. The dead zone appears to be significantly reduced and looking/aiming responds much better to smaller movements. Before the patch it would take me about 30-40 minutes to adjust to the controls after playing something like Gears or CoD4... now it's just as easy to jump into as those games. The feeling of weight remains, but I liked it in GRAW/2 and I like it in Killzone 2. I don't want the game to feel floaty... I just wanted the aiming controls fixed... and they have been.

The videos obviously don't give you s real sense of how it feels, but I really struggled to hit anyting with the sniper rifle before the patch :)

JoJo13

Banned
Majik said:
I'm replaying the campaign using the 'high precision' option added in the patch. I've captured a couple of HD videos...

My initial impressions are that the controls are much improved. The dead zone appears to be significantly reduced and looking/aiming responds much better to smaller movements. Before the patch it would take me about 30-40 minutes to adjust to the controls after playing something like Gears or CoD4... now it's just as easy to jump into as those games. The feeling of weight remains, but I liked it in GRAW/2 and I like it in Killzone 2. I don't want the game to feel floaty... I just wanted the aiming controls fixed... and they have been.

The videos obviously don't give you s real sense of how it feels, but I really struggled to hit anyting with the sniper rifle before the patch :)

Yeah, the game controls a lot better now.

It sucks that a lot of people dismissed the game due to the controls...will they pick the game up now that they are fixed?

EazyB

Banned
teepo said:
the best part is that it still feels like kz2 with the new controls.
Just goes to show you all those people that didn't want responsive aiming "because it'd take away the weight" were just doing so to dismiss anything negative about KZ2.

And God damn, I can't stress how much better the game plays without spawning invulnerability.

KillJade

Banned
Great changes in this last patch, now the only things missing are server info and making Boost move you slower instead of quicker.

Then KZ2 will be perfect for me.

teepo

EazyB said:
Just goes to show you all those people that didn't want responsive aiming "because it'd take away the weight" were just doing so to dismiss anything negative about KZ2.

And God damn, I can't stress how much better the game plays without spawning invulnerability.

well a lot of those critiques came from the more weighty sp controls.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
teepo said:
the best part is that it still feels like kz2 with the new controls.

I have to admit they're far better despite not getting what people were complaining about before.

It sort of reminds me of how bad the camera was in MGS3 before they were fixed in subsequent releases. Sometimes the developer gets it despite what some of the community might say.

Nizz

Majik said:

Are you playing at default sensitivity? I'm using high precision mode and I have x sensitivity one notch below full. They do feel pretty good. :)

JoJo13 said:
Yeah, the game controls a lot better now.

It sucks that a lot of people dismissed the game due to the controls...will they pick the game up now that they are fixed?
I think if a lot of people have dismissed the game already, it might be too late. Not talking about people like here on this forum.

But people who may not read up on boards who jumped into the game and weren't comfortable with the controls before. I also wonder about people who may not have their PS3's connected online and therefore didn't d/load the patches.

Would it have been nice if high precision mode would have been there day one? Probably. But this is all coulda/woulda/shoulda type stuff you can't really do anything about.

Maybe for the next one?

Ramirez

EazyB said:

Does the aiming feel closer to you know what now? I might have to pick this back up, I enjoyed the game a lot, but the controls were just too much of a negative for me to overlook at the time.

Kuroyume

Banned
The changes were fucking stupid. Bbbbut but but but my airbot medals! Yeah, well now get your airbot medal and then what? Most of you won't bother with that class again. Good idea guys. Now those things are even more incredibly annoying than before. Good luck trying to kill something flying above your head that takes a significant amount of damage all while worrying about everything else around you. Idiots!

The spawn invicibility is just so fucking dumb. I understand it ruined objective games and caused headaches elsewhere but if you had a functioning brain you could figure out how to deal with them easily in deathmatch. Now spawns outside the base are mostly useless with people camping. The camera doesn't help as much as it should.

I don't know how I feel about the controls. I can't tell a difference but I feel like I'm at disadvantage by not using them. I haven't any played Killzone until now because of the Red Faction multiplayer demo so I'm probably showing rust, but I feel like there's something wrong.

EazyB

Banned
Ramirez said:
Does the aiming feel closer to you know what now? I might have to pick this back up, I enjoyed the game a lot, but the controls were just too much of a negative for me to overlook at the time.
Keep in mind I never thought the controls killed the game but they've been improved to a responsiveness on par with CoD or Halo. They didn't change the auto aim as far as I know but with responsive aiming it doesn't matter.

The big improvement for me again, is the spawning. It keeps the combat at a longer range too which is good because KZ2's CQC isn't its strong point.

As far as buying it again. If controls were the main issue and you could put up with some of its other shortcomings then I'd say go for it.

Players online in random games are garbage so it's an amazing self-esteem booster. :)

alr1ght

Kuroyume said:
Bbbbut but but but my airbot medals! Yeah, well now get your airbot medal and then what? Most of you won't bother with that class again. Good idea guys. Now those things are even more incredibly annoying than before. Good luck trying to kill something flying above your head that takes a significant amount of damage all while worrying about everything else around you. Idiots!

completely agree. I got my airbots medals legitimately before the patch. They should just be a nuisance, not a death threat.

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
completely agree. I got my airbots medals legitimately before the patch. They should just be a nuisance, not a death threat.

Suck it up. The way the airbots are now is just fine

Kuroyume said:
The changes were fucking stupid. Bbbbut but but but my airbot medals! Yeah, well now get your airbot medal and then what? Most of you won't bother with that class again. Good idea guys. Now those things are even more incredibly annoying than before. Good luck trying to kill something flying above your head that takes a significant amount of damage all while worrying about everything else around you. Idiots!

The spawn invicibility is just so fucking dumb. I understand it ruined objective games and caused headaches elsewhere but if you had a functioning brain you could figure out how to deal with them easily in deathmatch. Now spawns outside the base are mostly useless with people camping. The camera doesn't help as much as it should.

I highlighted what I wanted to comment on. Its a good thing most people will never be a tactician again. Being a great tactician actually requires skill something that most random players lack.

Killzone 2 MP is an objective based game. If there is something that breaks this than you have to remove it. Spawn invincibility broke the MP. Smart teams would have one tact + multiple assault class guys. They would be invincible fire a rocket on the floor kill 2 or 3 people then fire another rocket kill themselves and take out the bots + other people around them.

The negative to no spawn invincibility is that you need a decent tactician in every game you play now, and since most random games have shitty tacticians it leads to trouble. You can just throw spawn grenades anywhere and expect to win. I like it this way because it rewards me for being a good tactician. BTW air bots + regular bots will make spawn camping really hard.

Edit: The biggest problem now is that you have to use your brain. You have to be smart to win, and most of the people who play the game are idiots.

alr1ght

then give me some rocket launchers to take those bitches out. that would balance them, but throws the rest of the game off.

borsdy

Banned
Kuroyume said:
I agree with you.

lunlunqq

Just get used to it. I figured no matter what GG dose, there will always be people complaining. I was not bothered by how the game played before. After this patch, I think it's much better.

You have to play smart now!! Think carefully about the placement of the spawn grenades and your route too the objective. If you just want to make a beeline to the objectives or rush into firefight, you will just get yourself killed really quick.

Having good tactician and engineers on your team is essential. Or else it could be very frustrating.

Overall, I think it's much more tactical game now and I like it a lot.

Top Bottom