• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Give me a chaff grenade like in Metal Gear that disables the bots for 5 seconds (so you either spawn with the chaff or normal grenade). I had no problem with them pre-patch, as you could easily pick up a few kills with them. Everyone bitched they were underpowered because they wanted to get the medals.

No spawn invincibility is fine in games with capable players, but public matches are a nightmare. I wish there would be an arrow on the mini-map to show which direction you spawn, as we all know no one knows how to properly throw them. It's still fairer than how it was before though.

edit: just read a great suggestion on the kz2 board. Instead of a big smoke cloud where the spawn grenade is thrown (which is easy to find for campers), make it just a small blinking beacon (like the little device you throw for airbots). It would definitely cut down on the camping.

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
Give me a chaff grenade like in Metal Gear that disables the bots for 5 seconds (so you either spawn with the chaff or normal grenade). I had no problem with them pre-patch, as you could easily pick up a few kills with them. Everyone bitched they were underpowered because they wanted to get the medals.

No spawn invincibility is fine in games with capable players, but public matches are a nightmare. I wish there would be an arrow on the mini-map to show which direction you spawn, as we all know no one knows how to properly throw them. It's still fairer than how it was before though.

No I bitched about it because they were fucking useless. I played tactician almost exclusively when I first played Killzone 2. The air bots were the worst secondary badge. Wow I have an air bot that gets taken down almost immediately that is underpowered. Matter of fact the air bots still are the worst secondary badge. They make the most important class in the game have the worst secondary ability.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd rather see the stationary bots not take them out then, but revert them back to their prior strength. They're a distraction and take awhile to kill, but don't get destroyed in seconds. Did you unlock any second ability to use with Tac yet?

careful

TheFatOne said:
They make the most important class in the game have the worst secondary ability.
I think this was actually a plus. If they had given Tactician a half decent ability, even more morons would be playing Tact and ruining spawn rotations of competent Tacts.
It's already bad enough as it is, I would've preferred if they had left the air sentry weak and underpowered and instead change the Ribbon requirement to something else more reasonable than 5x sentry kills.

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
I'd rather see the stationary bots not take them out then, but revert them back to their prior strength. They're a distraction and take awhile to kill, but don't get destroyed in seconds. Did you unlock any second ability to use with Tac yet?

I did that a long time ago good sir, but the tact still has the shittiest secondary ability.

dwin45

Anyone want to get the Black belt (melee) medal with me? There's no way I'm ever going to get it unless I have someone help me cheat.

icechai

finally got back into playing a bit. Overall it's really awesome now, bots are damn scary though. Seems to be like a clan dominates now if they have a lot of engineers, 2 tacticians w/ air bots, and the rest any class w/ c4s (medic ideally).

Kittonwy

Banned
GG icechai captMhead joeinit spartan. LOL @ that pirate guy I muted him and I could still hear him through someone's mic, guy wouldn't shut up (sounded like a girl).

Got my second air support ribbon!
angry.gif

GAF clan E3 is over it's back to gb rawr.
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
dwin45 said:
Anyone want to get the Black belt (melee) medal with me? There's no way I'm ever going to get it unless I have someone help me cheat.

Play pistol only matches, it's actually not that hard to get.

Zen

Banned
I tend to play Objectives, but I play a decent amount of bodycount where the problems aren't as bad if only because there's no real point to dynamic spawns during bodycount only. I think I'm the only one in this thread who is boo urns on the new patch.

mr_nothin

Banned
tiddles said:
To those who don't like the new spawning, do you mostly play Bodycount Only, or Warzone with all the objectives?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dont do it GG.
Dont revert back.

No matter how much complaining goes on. Dont even investigate it. Just leave it alone and move on to the next thing. Man, I really hope they're not really looking into changing it :(

Lince

Banned
patch is good, but the fact people picking tactician just for the overpowered airbots and messing with the more-important-than-ever spawns is not. GG need to figure a way only the best players can place spawns, public games are frustrating with the hordes of tacticians wannabes.

tiddles

Lince said:
patch is good, but the fact people picking tactician just for the overpowered airbots and messing with the more-important-than-ever spawns is not. GG need to figure a way only the best players can place spawns, public games are frustrating with the hordes of tacticians wannabes.

I think a lot of people will be using Tactician for a while because they haven't been able to get the air support ribbon up till now - hopefully it should die down after a bit. Don't forget, you can combine the badges, so if people really want to get lots of kills from using airbots, they will probably combine them with something else other than Tactician.

tiddles

mr_nothin said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dont do it GG.
Dont revert back.

No matter how much complaining goes on. Dont even investigate it. Just leave it alone and move on to the next thing. Man, I really hope they're not really looking into changing it :(

I don't think there are any plans to change this stuff at the moment... it's more about trying to understand exactly what people like and don't like, and what circumstances they are playing under... the experience of somebody playing Bodycount Only is likely to be different from playing pure Warzone, same with clan games vs public games, weapons excluded and so on.

EazyB

Banned
lunlunqq said:
GG, dont listen to those naysayers. Patch is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Keep it like this plz.
Seconded.

Gunna put some serious time into this game after finals thanks to the changes. Spawn vulnerability is a God-send.

Lince

Banned
tiddles said:
I don't think there are any plans to change this stuff at the moment

glad to hear that tiddles, Killzone 2 is almost perfect now (with the latest changes it's already my favorite multiplayer game of all time, 400+ hours), we just need server info and maybe some tweaks to the netcode to tackle lag and we're set. I understand KZ2 support must end at some point in time, I guess the next patch will be the last.

I hope you guys at GG are planning Killzone 3 to have dedicated servers / fully realized party system & matchmaking and a revamped clan system with a complete search feature so you can quickly subscribe to games you're interested in. But please don't include a "jetpack" class :lol, just aim for tactical and intense gameplay... and don't forget the guy who designed Salamun Market and Helghan Industries, offer him a raise or something, don't let him go for Bungie :lol

JB1981

Lince said:
glad to hear that tiddles, Killzone 2 is almost perfect now (with the latest changes it's already my favorite multiplayer game of all time, 400+ hours), we just need server info and maybe some tweaks to the netcode to tackle lag and we're set. I understand KZ2 support must end at some point in time, I guess the next patch will be the last.

I hope you guys at GG are planning Killzone 3 to have dedicated servers / fully realized party system & matchmaking and a revamped clan system with a complete search feature so you can quickly subscribe to games you're interested in. But please don't include a "jetpack" class :lol, just aim for tactical and intense gameplay... and don't forget the guy who designed Salamun Market and Helghan Industries, offer him a raise or something, don't let him go for Bungie :lol
:lol

Kuroyume

Banned
tiddles said:
To those who don't like the new spawning, do you mostly play Bodycount Only, or Warzone with all the objectives?

I play Bodycount pretty much all the time unless I can't find a room I like, then I give Warzone a shot. I'm well aware of the issues that the old spawning caused to Warzone especially in the bomb planting mission but it worked really well with Bodycount. Now it's working against Bodycount in favor of Warzone. I would like to see spawn invicibility for Warzone but not for Bodycount, but I'm not sure if that's possible or not.

tiddles said:
I don't think there are any plans to change this stuff at the moment... it's more about trying to understand exactly what people like and don't like, and what circumstances they are playing under... the experience of somebody playing Bodycount Only is likely to be different from playing pure Warzone, same with clan games vs public games, weapons excluded and so on.

People like matchmaking with ranked (preset game types) and unranked playlists. Copy Halo for goodness sake.

Rolf NB

tiddles said:
I'm mainly playing the loading screen slides, waiting for one to pop up that explains how spawn grenades will face towards the tactician at the time of the throw. So far nothing came up. If you can please make that happen it would go a long way to solving the bitching about the changes to spawning.

Rolf NB

tiddles said:
You poured out the child with the bathwater, or so the saying goes. There are legitimate reasons to have a small window of invincibility when you're fresh out of spawn, just as there are legitimate reasons to be frustrated when you're killed by an invincible player. You toggled between the two extremes now when you could have found a compromise. I've suggested it three or four times now but I guess you don't systemically collect feedback here.

Again: compromise: 1)scale invulnerability window proportionally to distance from objective. Less than 10m to objective=no invincibility; more than 50m=clamp at full (2 seconds?) invincibility. Several objectives (S&D, S&R)? Use the shorter of the two distances. 2)end invincibility immediately when the player fires or uses an ability or touches the grenade button. 3)force a respawn at any spawn point after 30 seconds. This plugs both the body count "get ahead, suicide and disappear for 5 minutes" exploit and the "meatshield" squad spawning exploit (which is tied to spawn invincibility, hence I pack it in here).

I don't know how to say this without sounding like Click or outraged vintage Lince, but I'm disappointed that the maintenence of this game, a game that looks like it had a killer production budget and ample staff put behind it, is so raw. You keep stumbling around the issues with apparently little understanding of higher-level play, and you keep prioritizing all the wrong things. It makes no sense to me.

The air bots are hard as nails now. I've started using health packs as a second ability now because the air support can take off half health if you step outside for a few seconds. Still, there's only two of them.

Health packs are a very underrated and underused ability imo.

tfur

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
The air bots are hard as nails now. I've started using health packs as a second ability now because the air support can take off half health if you step outside for a few seconds. Still, there's only two of them.

Health packs are a very underrated and underused ability imo.

Yeah, I like it. Classes are more useful now.

You need a mix medics, engineers and tacticians more than ever. I have migrated to using medic or tactician w airbot / boost / health pack, depending on objective.

As far as tweaking the spawn invincibility goes... It plays better as it is now, and perhaps the only change I would test/consider, would be to have the players not spawn on a single point. Maybe increase the radius of the spawn point, so that someone cannot just stand on the spawn and melee killing every person who spawns(which is happening now). The idea would be for you to materialize/spawn in maybe a two foot random radius of the spawn point.

I don't really mind people spawn camping. It's what you would do if such a thing really existed. Now you have come up with a tactic to thwart camping.

Also, please review the range/accuracy of the revolver. I seem to get hit from incredible distances with that gun.

Arnie

Bought the game back again today. If anybody wants to play, add me, my PSN is in my profile. I have a few of you guys on my friends list from the GAFe days.

Melfice7

Bots should never be as powerful as they are now.. both turrets and airbots.

I lost count on how many times i get headshot'd as soon as they spot me even really far away, it was better when they were good to spot players including cloaked snipers and deal some damage, mostly just annoying damage but still that's the point! not having terminators around the maps -.-

Kittonwy

Banned
tfur said:
Yeah, I like it. Classes are more useful now.

You need a mix medics, engineers and tacticians more than ever. I have migrated to using medic or tactician w airbot / boost / health pack, depending on objective.

As far as tweaking the spawn invincibility goes... It plays better as it is now, and perhaps the only change I would test/consider, would be to have the players not spawn on a single point. Maybe increase the radius of the spawn point, so that someone cannot just stand on the spawn and melee killing every person who spawns(which is happening now). The idea would be for you to materialize/spawn in maybe a two foot random radius of the spawn point.

I don't really mind people spawn camping. It's what you would do if such a thing really existed. Now you have come up with a tactic to thwart camping.

Also, please review the range/accuracy of the revolver. I seem to get hit from incredible distances with that gun.

I think a couple of weeks ago I tried outsniping snipers with the M4 and was pretty successful. >:p

.GqueB.

Banned
tiddles said:
I dont think bodycount was ever really an issue. The action is more spread out so spawn points were never really a big factor from what Ive seen. They were silent game changers for people who knew how to use them (rare).

But when it comes down to the objective based missions, I think the new spawn system mucks things up a bit. Since the action is more contained, you pretty much know where people are going to put spawn points and those games just become a hunt for spawns. Many of gaf can say whatever they want about how good their spawn points are but no matter where you put them, theyre going to be found, and theyre going to be camped. Even if you kill the guy camping, he more than likely got a few shots at you and youre running into battle already disadvantaged.

I never personally saw the invincibility as an issue. I never saw it as a way to get easy kills off of some fool standing in front of the spawn point, I saw it as a way to get my bearings so I knew where the hell I was when I spawned. Now I spawn and I tear off running in any direction hoping to not get shot (Ive seen this "tactic" used by others as well) or I just spawn back at the base most of the time which is irritating. I think there are ways to balance that system without giving anyone a clear advantage.

I remember a while ago there was a suggestion to keep the invincibility but forcing a reload animation so the person spawning cant shoot. This makes the most sense to me since both sides would automatically be on equal ground instantly.

And I will briefly say that you guys need to consider your audience. Most people are more concerned with their K/D R than anything else. Objectives arent always on the forefront of peoples minds. So introducing a way to get seemingly "easy" kills isnt gonna help that any.

JardeL

tiddles said:
No not only Bodycount... Would you like to tell us who the hell is the decision maker and what the hell he was thinking when he decided to remove spawn invulnerability but to keep a gun like STA3 & allow players to place C4s on spawn point ?.. Has he ever playeda multiplayer game , Warhawk maybe ?.. There's a perfect example out there and you guys still ignoring it... Please contact them and learn how to perfect a war , thanks ... www.lightboxinteractive.com

tfur

JardeL said:
No not only Bodycount... Would you like to tell us who the hell is the decision maker and what the hell he was thinking when he decided to remove spawn invulnerability but to keep a gun like STA3 & allow players to place C4s on spawn point ?.. Has he ever playeda multiplayer game , Warhawk maybe ?.. There's a perfect example out there and you guys still ignoring it... Please contact them and learn how to perfect a war , thanks ... www.lightboxinteractive.com

Well, if you spawn in an APC in Warhawk, there is no invincibility. When you spawn in a zone, you are invisible for a moment and there is more than 1 possible spawn point in each zone. I have spawned and walked right into a mine in warhawk.

Spawn invulnerability just guarantees a cluster fuck. With vulnerability you have the chance, if the players are skilled enough, to have a more though out game. I mean shit, if you see someone spawn camping, then do not spawn there. It means your spawn point is compromised. Let your tactician know to set up a spawn points elsewhere and have your team defend the point. It forces a lot more communication for success.

There are pros and cons each way, but I like the balance of the way it is now better.

Zen

Banned
tiddles said:

I play both, and it has very much made the game a terrible experience in Warzone, and it's not as big of a deal in Warzone.

Please change spawn invincibility back but in a slightly reduced timespan after respawn. Make it less than it was, I'd say, but the game needs it. Don't listen to these clan guys whom are all about playing in their insular well managed goups, removing spawn invinsibility has made the game a worse experience for the majority in public games because of all the cheap exploits. Just put it back in as much as is needed to stop the blatant cheese (like not even being able to move before you die because of C4/Rocket/someone going up to the spawn and just hitting the melee button) and please consider.

Putting in proximity restrictions for dynamic spawns for certain objects like S&D. Removing Spawn invincibility hasn't helped that mode one bit, in fact it's just made it the same old cluster fuck of people throwing down a spawn directly at the objective and spawn/kill/die within one second. That's not fun gameplay!

What would be fun is if you restricted how close each side could have a dynamic spawn to the actual S&D objectives. That way the tactics of holding and taking the areas would be much more important, as well as staying alive within the area if you're a squad leader, ad staying alive period to keep the infastructure of the defense going or making a proper beachhead into the defenders territory. It makes your individual actions and lifespan within the mode much more important, and it's just not in the current setup where your only value is pretty much zerging the enemy in a way of which side can get lucky enough (choose the most assault classes) to eventually push the enemy back or which team forgets to renew their spawn.

Not to mention that by putting spawn invincibility back in you effectively resolve the rampant rocket/C4/melee exploits. the Invincibility period was a little too long before, but without it are even more ways for teams to just create unfun experiences for players. Even increasing the radius of where the players spawn won't do too much good when the giant plum of smoke leads to that spot being camped by 2 turrents, air sentries, and someone just saying off to the side with their weapon in Iron Sights. Players need a chance to even orient themselves in the slightest before being 1 hit killed!

Please also consider:

Removing or restricting rockets Frankly, I don';t know how GG devs feel about rockets in MP, and I understand their intended use (for punching through fortified defense/turrets/airbots) but the weapon in practice has just led to rampant abuse. Basically once a decent contingent of players choose to be assault (and as the most powerful class this tends to happen) they'll just start 'spawning, firing a rocket for kills, dying, rince repeat. And this whole problem is made even worse now that there's no spawn invincibility to at least give the players a chance to do something before the rocket hits (all too often you'll spawn, and before your screen has even switched over to first person view you'll die). There's a reason that about half, if not more, of the servers I've seen either remove rockets or ban the assault class, or both, and this is still going on post patch because rockets just break the game for many people.

This patch was great for

- Automating squads for friends
- The team balancing changes
- The new shooting mode
- Making classes a bit more important (due to the Engineer tweaks and general balancing)

Thanks for listening. :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JardeL said:

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Dementia

Kittonwy said:
GG icechai captMhead joeinit spartan. LOL @ that pirate guy I muted him and I could still hear him through someone's mic, guy wouldn't shut up (sounded like a girl).

Got my second air support ribbon!
angry.gif

GAF clan E3 is over it's back to gb rawr.
angry.gif
That's because it was a girl. :p But yeah, she was pretty annoying. (I'm Mhead)

Last night was my first time playing since the patch was released, and I think I'm really liking the changes. The psuedo-party system is nice (though it sometimes makes the teams pretty unbalanced) and I love how you will now automatically join a squad if someone invites you. The air bots are absolutely godly now; I got two ribbons in the two games I played with them as my secondary ability. I'm glad to see that they are actually effective now. Before the patch they were essentially a floating bonus point.

The new high precision controls I'm still getting used to, but they are growing on me. It seems like they take away a lot of the acceleration that the default controls have. The one weapon I feel is more difficult to use with the new controls is the sniper rifle.

The removal of spawn invincibility I think is the best change. Coming from 50+ hours of playing the Uncharted 2 Beta, KZ2 still seemed chaotic as fuck, but not nearly as bad as it would have been if that invincibility bullshit was still in place. It promotes more tactical play and reduces the clusterfuck around objectives.

Altogether I think Guerrilla released an awesome patch and hooked me for another 100 or so hours of online play.:D

KZObsessed

Just played some KZ2 for the second time since the patch came out and the game plays much much better without spawn invincibility. There are less invincible spawn fests round the objectives now which is only a good thing. One major problem tho is that you can put C4 right in the smoke and when someone spawns they instantly die. I got two at once doing that. It's cheap and bullshit, and will put people off playing it that's for sure. In the Beta if you put C4 right in the middle of the spawn it would blow as he spawned but wouldn't hurt the player, you had to put it a few feet away and hope he walks into it. You guys need to tweak that desperately. Same with grenades being blindly thrown at the spawn point. Maybe a very short spawn invincibility for explosives but not for bullets. But overall it plays way better now. Spawns have to be more tactical now, which is what it should be.

Air drones are overpowered now, just so people can get their air drone medal *sigh* I used to get kills with the air bots all the time, I would just place them near to other peoples turrets so to double up. I don't think turrets or bots should even get kills by themselves anyway, they should just be there to assist you during objectives. Weaken the enemy for you to kill or vice versa, I had no problem with the strength of the bots, it was the Medal requirements which were retarded. 5 bot kills in one game... why not just have a running total? 50 bot kills total for the medal? Glad you guys toned down the speed of fire of the turrets, that was definitely a good change.

You guys seem to "over fix" things, sometimes I wonder how much actual testing of the changes you do. I'd rather things were "under fixed" than "over fixed" as that can unbalance the game. oh well, it's not a huge deal and the game is definitely better after patch than before. So good job in that regard.

I do personally prefer the old controls, the new ones are too loose, I prefer it stiff (no jokes please) Sniping in particular I don't like it, tho I did just go 34-4 on PR so it's not too bad, and I can't be bothered switching back and forth so I'll stick with it. No big deal I guess... just don't change how the game feels too much for KZ3, make the game how you want to make it.

oh and finally, what did GG do to the M4? Goddamn. I've said a few times I think the auto aim on it needs to be reduced so you guys increase it :lol It's way too much. I just destroyed a whole team with it and out sniped their snipers with it, although that was possible before, I was barely even aiming the thing. Way too much.

Looking forward to getting back into the MP tho, as it plays much better now, and the new maps/trophies on Thursday! Maybe get the clan moving again, get playing more games. I must discuss some things with Mr Kittonwy as well...

JardeL

tfur said:
Well, if you spawn in an APC in Warhawk, there is no invincibility. When you spawn in a zone, you are invisible for a moment and there is more than 1 possible spawn point in each zone. I have spawned and walked right into a mine in warhawk.
This is what exactly happens when you do that ;
FFObsessed said:
One major problem tho is that you can put C4 right in the smoke and when someone spawns they instantly die. I got two at once doing that. It's cheap and bullshit, and will put people off playing it that's for sure. In the Beta if you put C4 right in the middle of the spawn it would blow as he spawned but wouldn't hurt the player, you had to put it a few feet away and hope he walks into it. You guys need to tweak that desperately. Same with grenades being blindly thrown at the spawn point.
So if you walk right into a mine in Warhawk when you spawn , it's gonna blow up but wont hurt you...

Airbots are now overpowered thats for sure... But it is not a huge blow ,people will get used to it in time...

About spawn invincibility ; maybe you guys at GG need to consider removing smoke out of the spawn grenades... After the 1.27 patch it just works like " Hey , we're spawning here , come and kick our asses " ... %60-70 of the players spawn camping now and that's annoying ...

I played a game with Bignose from GAFe tonite at Radec... I was one of the tacticians and I placed a spawn point at library for S&D ... Thanks to smoke , all the HGHs came to it and placed C4s , throwed grenades , used MG and camped there with their STA3 guns... So I needed to place another farther than it... Then I tried library's downstairs... But that didn't work out too... It was too much farther from the objective and you needed to climb up stairs [ C4s everywhere as you can guess ]...

If you think all of these are alright , then I ask for advice about where to place spawn points for S&D modes ...

KZObsessed

Where did I mention Warhawk?

You need to protect the spawns with your own turrets and C4, and then move forward as a team and place two spawns at completely different sides, so if one is camped you can spawn at the other one and come round the back of them or approach the objective. You need two good tacticians communicating and a few good engineers who are going to defend and try and complete the objectives. If you have two good teams, it's much better now. Less of a spam fest and much more tactical. The problem is as you're more reliant on your team if you have a crappy team, which is very likely in public games, you're gonna get camped and lose the objective.

JardeL said:
I played a game with Bignose from GAFe tonite at Radec... I was one of the tacticians and I placed a spawn point at library for S&D ... Thanks to smoke , all the HGHs came to it and placed C4s , throwed grenades , used MG and camped there with their STA3 guns... So I needed to place another farther than it... Then I tried library's downstairs... But that didn't work out too... It was too much farther from the objective and you needed to climb up stairs [ C4s everywhere as you can guess ]...

If you think all of these are alright , then I ask for advice about where to place spawn points for S&D modes ...
For that particular situation, in my opinion there are two decent places to put spawns:

1) in the library, but along the wall near the objective. There are two doors you can go through, forcing the defenders to split their attention. If they want to spawncamp they will actually have to enter the library room, drawing them away from the objective (and forcing them to go through doorways that *you* can C4). Repairing the gun will help a lot (though rockets will take it out occasionally, so be prepared to re-repair).
2) In the corner of the upper walkway opposite the ISA spawn. This is actually pretty close to the objective, and due to long clear shots from two directions, as well as the open courtyard, can be defended well against spawncamping by bots of both kinds.

Mix these up with occasional people coming upstairs from the HGH spawn area or the ISA Search & Retrieve delivery point to keep the defenders guessing.

KillJade

Banned
tiddles said:

The way it was before, the offense had the advantage. Now you've made it so the defence has the advantage.

Split it down the middle and make the spawning player invincible to dmg, but while they are invincible, they are also unable to attack.

Problem solved, everyone is happy.

But please don;t forget to nerf Boost, make the player move SLOWER, not faster.

Top Bottom