• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Do they no longer have battle replays for non-clan matches? I just beasted on PR and want to watch it, but there's nothing there.[edit]working now.wtf

who is down for a new GAFA map pack share group?

Zen

Banned
Tharsis Depot is basically unplayable since they decided to introduce a host of new cheap exploits by removing spawn invincibility. At least with spawn invincibility the game had a bit more consideration from moment to moment, now it's just more of a poorly designed shit show with a lot more 'spawn/die' even outside of objectives that ultimately makes the entire experience worse and a lot less paced than before. At least with the crappy S&D gameplay you use to have a few moments to do something before you died. I hasn't altered how people use spawns in any effective way, sure they jump around a bit more, but so what. They're all camped within an instant, no matter how good the tactician.

S&D still sucks, in fact it's clearly worse than before for most players. Good or bad tacticians means little for the fact that the fundamental problem of S&D went untouched. The problem is still one of relative distance between both teams being unbalanced on default (which would be fine were there but a limit on this next part) and equal at worst (0M from objective).

I look forward to watching the player base continue to drop, as it should.

I'm done with this game as anything other than a trophy generator.

EazyB

Banned
I've been playing as a tactician a lot recently and I love it. It's amazing how a few well placed spawns can turn the tide of battle. The only problem is people are dumb and throw them in dumb spots.

I can't stress how much I love the spawn vulnerability. It really forces teams to set up and think for once. You either have to place the spawn grenade in a discrete place or have players set up around the spawn to protect it; it's no longer throw and forget. Even the 32 player matches on the somewhat smaller maps play well now. It's amazing that many players rather repeatedly die upon spawning rather than spawn at the base though :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Zen said:
Tharsis Depot is basically unplayable since they decided to introduce a host of new cheap exploits by removing spawn invincibility. At least with spawn invincibility the game had a bit more consideration from moment to moment, now it's just more of a poorly designed shit show with a lot more 'spawn/die' even outside of objectives that ultimately makes the entire experience worse and a lot less paced than before. At least with the crappy S&D gameplay you use to have a few moments to do something before you died. I hasn't altered how people use spawns in any effective way, sure they jump around a bit more, but so what. They're all camped within an instant, no matter how good the tactician.

S&D still sucks, in fact it's clearly worse than before for most players. Good or bad tacticians means little for the fact that the fundamental problem of S&D went untouched. The problem is still one of relative distance between both teams being unbalanced on default (which would be fine were there but a limit on this next part) and equal at worst (0M from objective).

I look forward to watching the player base continue to drop, as it should.

I'm done with this game as anything other than a trophy generator.

People asked for spawn invincibility to be removed, players adapt, now we have people like yourself now complaining about the invincibility being removed.

The game now rewards team-work even more, you have to guard the spawn point now, so it's best to play with a clan.

Thrakier

Man, that people even discusss that the game was better WITH spawn invincibility. I mean, WTF, people just threw spawn points next to the objective, players spawn and try to place the bomb WHILE they are still invincible. Wow, that is great!

I've been picking up the game again recently since classes have been over for a couple weeks. Playing single player campaign, and just adore this game.
Templar just died, and holy crap I GET TO PILOT THE MECH?!
:D

Kittonwy said:
People asked for spawn invincibility to be removed, players adapt, now we have people like yourself now complaining about the invincibility being removed.

The game now rewards team-work even more, you have to guard the spawn point now, so it's best to play with a clan.

People really wanted spawn invincibility to be removed? Dumbasses. That was/is a great feature espacially for games with fixed spawn points but Killzone 2 doesn't have so I don't know how it'll effect the game.

Who's buying the new maps this week? I never bought the first two because they don't appeal to me but I love the look of the next two. Sadly it seems like a waste of money if I can't use them regularly online.

shagg_187 said:
People really wanted spawn invincibility to be removed?

Of course. It ruined the game imo.

Kittonwy

Banned
I'll probably buy the new maps, not sure how they're pricing it though, they should release them cheap enough so lots of people have it and include the first map pack with this one at a reasonable price.

Thrakier

Kittonwy said:
I'll probably buy the new maps, not sure how they're pricing it though, they should release them cheap enough so lots of people have it and include the first map pack with this one at a reasonable price.

They can't do that. Imagine they would sell a map pack with all four maps for 4,99$. The whining of those who bought the first one for 5,99$ would be massive. They should have given them for free - KZ2 doesn't have a lot of maps to begin with and GG can be happy if people get attached to their game so that they all will buy KZ3 for sure. Look what happend to COD4. It's not like there is no competition in the online genre. With MAG, Uncharted 2, MW2 and probably Starhawk coming up it doesn't look too good for KZ2. Premium priced map packs which divide the player community don't help, that's for sure.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Flash and Thunder DLC confirmed for today.
Interview about it up on killzone.com
http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=DLC+2+Q+and+A+with+Stuart+Billinghurst

What kind of gameplay can we expect on these maps?

MP-11 Beach Head is very much a tug-of-war, with two factions constantly trying to advance the front line in the other direction. MP-12 Southern Hills has a classic Capture The Flag-style layout with large open areas and mirrored bases, but the nuclear blast adds an element of unpredictability. In terms of player numbers, both maps are ideally suited for 8-24 players. This isn't a hard limit, though - they can still be played with 32 participants for some frantic fun.

Note: "frantic fun" is the new "clusterfuck"

Lince

Banned
MP-12 Southern Hills has a classic Capture The Flag-style layout with large open areas and mirrored bases, but the nuclear blast adds an element of unpredictability. In terms of player numbers, both maps are ideally suited for 8-24 players.

this map sounds nice, like Salamun Market but with nukes falling from the sky :lol :lol
oh Guerrilla... why? just, why?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
the nuke blast in the middle of the game? who are you and what have you done to TTP?

Yeah, what's the problem with that? It's not like you die all of a sudden without warning. There is a siren going off before the blast. Seriously, what's wrong with that?

Hands on reports say that it caused the framerate to drop to sub 20 for 30 seconds. Sometimes longer. Which would be annoying if it weren't for the fact that I just made that up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
Hands on reports say that it caused the framerate to drop to sub 20 for 30 seconds. Sometimes longer. Which would be annoying if it weren't for the fact that I just made that up.

You got me scared for a second there. Fuck you!

;)

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
Yeah, what's the problem with that? It's not like you die all of a sudden without warning. There is a siren going off before the blast. Seriously, what's wrong with that?

well wait until you find the campers blocking indoors access with turrets and C4, is the S&D objective out in the open? that would be hilarious :lol

and yeah, yesterday I played some games with GAFe and Tacticians keep placing spawns stupidly wrong, what the? do people never learn?

Thrakier

Lince said:
and yeah, yesterday I played some games with GAFe and Tacticians keep placing spawns stupidly wrong, what the? do people never learn?

There is a private KZ2 board. I told all players to place stupid spawn points, just to annoy you. Yeah, that's right. Sorry.

careful

Just got the last map pack recently and only played the map a few times on the first day. I've since dropped them from rotation since a lot of people still don't have them and can't join. Good chances I'm skipping this pack unless I know people will play it (aka make it free Sony).

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
There is a private KZ2 board. I told all players to place stupid spawn points, just to annoy you. Yeah, that's right. Sorry.

:lol

seriously, it wasn't our Tactician (Gon / FFO), it was the other team's tact in every game we played, we just walked over them and they were high-rank players mostly even with some 100k+ points guys.

Lince

Banned
careful said:
Just got the last map pack recently and only played the map a few times on the first day. I've since dropped them from rotation since a lot of people still don't have them and can't join. Good chances I'm skipping this pack unless I know people will play it (aka make it free Sony).

by the time they make it free no1 will be playing, it's a shame since I think the Vekta Cruiser map wasn't that bad at all. Hell, even the best maps like HI or SM are hard to find or are empty, kids just want to play Radec/Tharsis, a shame.

Finally got around DLing and trying the new patch. I am surprised to say that I really hate the new aiming mode they put in. I thought putting in faster controls would improve the game. But it turns out I like it better on the default setting much more.

KZObsessed

Played a few games last night, and even though the tacticians were terrible in nearly every game, (except for Gon who did a good job) the game played so much better. No longer did people place spawns right in front of the S&D objective and simply spam until victory. They were now placed outside the S&D room or quite away from it and people had to spawn and move forwards as a team. Sure the defending team has the advantage now but, well, they should. We still manged to plant tho and win the objectives. It now plays so much better than before. Our spawns weren't even camped because the teams were pretty much even and we simply didn't let them. I'd place counter spawns and make sure we had two spawns far from each other so we can always escape from any campers and take them out from another direction. Worked really well.

If the teams are stacked, which can happen a lot in this game still, or your team is a lot weaker then obviously you're going to get overwhelmed and camped. That's the basis of team based games, you're reliant on your team. If they're shit, you're gonna lose. That's why you should try and play with friends or clan mates as much as possible.

I actually found a game with next to no lag last night as well, must have been a UK host, and I went 108-12 :lol So much fun.

Last night I was whipping some more ass and I got disconnected. Anyone know what happens to the stats you rack up in a round you are disconnected from? I'm pretty sure I was going to get at least 2 ribbons as well but don't think I obtained them seeing as I was disconnected.

needlesmcgirk said:
Last night I was whipping some more ass and I got disconnected. Anyone know what happens to the stats you rack up in a round you are disconnected from? I'm pretty sure I was going to get at least 2 ribbons as well but don't think I obtained them seeing as I was disconnected.

Yeah, always a bit devestating that. I think theyre completely lost I'm afraid.

Also sick of Blood Gracht. Jesus christ. GG really needs to patch in the ability to see what maps are in rotation from the game list. Thats like basic online game 101 shit, embarassing that its not there.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Yep! Viva Espana!

yeah viva España my ass, we're melting today... 40 celsius grades and raising, my pool has been conquered by a bunch of teens and here I am with the AC at full power.

are we playing the new maps this afternoon? PSN store's updating in 40 mins

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Teens in a swimming pool? I'm coming over!

I need to find my Tactician clothes and place a spawn near the pool so you can respawn here, don't forget your ISA swimsuit since we have some airbot pets and turrets in the garden.

Thrakier

Lince said:
I need to find my Tactician clothes and place a spawn near the pool so you can respawn here, don't forget your ISA swimsuit since we have some airbot pets and turrets in the garden.

You guys really have something special going on there. Really...special. I feel used now, FFO. FU.

Firewire

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Yessir. It sure is. You buying?

Wouldn't miss it! I love the look of these two maps and I never got to play K1 online, so they are completely fresh to me.

Dibbz said:
Just bought Flash and Thunder. Downloading now. £4 something seemed like a good price.

How big is the download?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thrakier said:
You guys really have something special going on there. Really...special. I feel used now, FFO. FU.
FFObsessed and Lince man love is now legendary as GAFe triumph on the GG tournament.
And dirty as Rico's language ;)

KZObsessed

FUUCK

I get the same error while trying to buy something as I did last week

"an error has ocurred.
(80023102)"

No KZ2 map pack for me until 2moro :(

Top Bottom