• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
GG tonight.
Indifferent2.gif

wowzors

scoobs said:
I freaking love the new HP controls... feels way more natural and like other FPS games. Finally easy to aim precisely where you want to without struggling.

And there is the death of what made this game stand up, an actual online challenge.

Zen

Banned
I'm not finding the new maps to be all that great yet, but they're also far from bad. I also pretty much just play tactician now, I can't stand relying on some other random tactician for laying down spawns and being the make or break man on the team while I'm just cannon fodder for his poorly placed spawns.

I am starting to enjoy the game a lot more, and there is slowly starting to be a more dynamic nature to spawns in public games. Also for how laggy Beachhead seems to be with higher player counts, that map really makes you feel like you're in it's setting: Wet, cold, muddy, and all around a shitty place to be. I find it to be a map that really encourages the players to keep their fucking heads down and use cover because the whole battlefeild is so exposed and there are bullets flying everywhere with random grenades rolling around all around you, namely in objectives.

Granted Beachead works well with objectives, I'm sure I'll be ranting again the next time I happen upon a populated server on Tharsis. :lol

JB1981 said:
Are there any organized GAF games anymore? Looking to play the new maps with a good crew......

Aye, ditto. I've started playing again. Precision aim is really awesome, I can actually hold my own now. Any spots open in GAFa?

Wollan

Just tried the new map pack.

Beachhead looks beyond ridiculous. Only Guerrilla will be able to outmatch themselves in console fps visuals this gen. I'm actually pretty convinced that as long as the next console system is merely 3-5 times more capable these guys will be at the forefront in 1080p no matter the competing system power out there. KZ2 just hits the nail on the head in every aspect presentation wise. So yeah, the new map pack is absolutely gorgeous. Each time I revisit KZ2 I'm re-educated.

dwin45

Such a shame. Due to my shitty internet connection I have not finished an entire round on Beachhead yet. I lag out every single time.

ChryZ

I've been playing the new maps exclusively since they came out. Yes, they're that good IMHO. They don't just look amazing, but the matches flow nicely too. I like Southern Hills a little bit better than Beach Head, but that's mostly because of the nuke.

Wollan said:
Just tried the new map pack.

Beachhead looks beyond ridiculous. Only Guerrilla will be able to outmatch themselves in console fps visuals this gen. I'm actually pretty convinced that as long as the next console system is merely 3-5 times more capable these guys will be at the forefront in 1080p no matter the competing system power out there. KZ2 just hits the nail on the head in every aspect presentation wise. So yeah, the new map pack is absolutely gorgeous. Each time I revisit KZ2 I'm re-educated.

okay I am going to buy the maps, I was not sure. IS there a way to play the game on specific maps only ?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I just got around to playing Killzone 2 after properly setting up my new HDTV. I've never seen it running on a TV that was set up right before and none as bigger than 19'' anyway. My jaw hit the floor. The little nicks and scrapes on the shotgun and all the other tiny details really make the game all the more impressive. Definitely going to replay it now to see everything that I was missing.

Darkpen

Banned
Amazon's selling for $50, for anyone who wants to tell their friend to get a copy, or to get a second new copy for some weird reason :S

Balanced teams and good teamwork really make or break the experience for me. Playing against a well-organized team while struggling to support my own SUCKS. Went up against a hybrid team of different clans on Southern Hills... they were insanely organized and pretty much destroyed my team. It was quite painful.

Players should be required to pass a tutorial before having access to a few of the classes.

Is a lot of people playing the new map packs? I've not dl either and was hoping a pack would come out for both of them. Any word if one will be available?

As much as I love tactician, I feel bad for having an entire battle set on the other team's base, like Tharsis Depot for example. I'd be pissed if I couldn't leave my base being killed. :lol

Cellbomber said:
Is a lot of people playing the new map packs? I've not dl either and was hoping a pack would come out for both of them. Any word if one will be available?

Well enough people play them, I've come
across a few servers with the new maps in rotation. Some are even doing S&T and F&T only. I'm not sure about steel and titanium...

TheFatOne

Ok guys I'm going to try and set up a GAF game tonight. It's not going to have the new maps though. Its going to be no rkts, ff on, all the old maps, 20 players. So look for GAF MELTDOWN! later tonight.

Edit: When the game goes up I will post the details gain in this thread.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TheFatOne said:
Ok guys I'm going to try and set up a GAF game tonight. It's not going to have the new maps though. Its going to be no rkts, ff on, all the old maps, 20 players. So look for GAF MELTDOWN! later tonight.

Edit: When the game goes up I will post the details gain in this thread.

If you want to setup a share group with other GAFA members who don't have the new maps, I'd be down.

.GqueB.

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Also, something that I noticed...(and this could be only because my friend's dualshock 3 is going out) the sixaxis feels alot better on high precision mode than the ds3. HP mode pissed me off with the dual shock 3. It's weird to try to explain so I wont...but just know that I couldnt get kills for crap with the ds3.
Its not that hard to explain as I experienced the same thing. The sticks are just tighter. DS3 sticks are so damn loose its ridiculous. I always switch back to the Sixaxis when Im playing shooters.

So the new "High Precision" option makes it more like COD? For some reason I was under the impression that they patched the controls a long time ago and the new "High Precision" was taking it back to how it used to be. Can someone please explain?

AndyD

aka andydumi
alr1ghtstart said:
If you want to setup a share group with other GAFA members who don't have the new maps, I'd be down.
Me too. I was hoping for a 9.99 bundle for all 4, but it didnt happen, not yt anyway.

Thrakier

ypo said:
Looks and design wise Beach Head reminded me of that Crysis Killzone mod, only Beach Head looks a lot better. :D

I dunno. Obviously KZ2 looks always great, but I thought the rain effect is kinda disapointing. The surroundings including my weapon don't look wet...just shiny. Something is off.

alr1ght

AndyD said:
Me too. I was hoping for a 9.99 bundle for all 4, but it didnt happen, not yt anyway.

well the first 2 maps are terrible. I figured we could add $20 ($4 per person) to the account and get the next couple maps as well.

cryptic

I've got a game going on Southern Hills. Please join. 1 on 1 right now, need more people. Please.

EDIT: Nvm. Other player left.

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:

Yea I have to wait to get the new maps, but on the weekend I'm going to buy a 20$ PSN card and make a dummy account.

alr1ght

I can do it today, as long as the other members can paypal me or have some other way to pay me their split.

tfur

Do battle replays only work with clan battles now? I am not seeing the replay area anymore on the web site.

Dibbz

Finally got my 1% ranking this week. Holy hell was it a long week for me. On my way to platinum now. Just need to get 4 more melee ribbons and I'm done on the online side for trophies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dibbz said:
Finally got my 1% ranking this week. Holy hell was it a long week for me. On my way to platinum now. Just need to get 4 more melee ribbons and I'm done on the online side for trophies.

How many points did you get/need? I have a free week soon, so i was thinking of tackling the 1% if its doable.

And FatOne and alr1ghtstart, count me in whenever. I can paypal a few bucks to whomever.

AndyD said:
How many points did you get/need? I have a free week soon, so i was thinking of tackling the 1% if its doable.

And FatOne and alr1ghtstart, count me in whenever. I can paypal a few bucks to whomever.

I think you'll need more than 5000 points, but that's just a guess, I need to do that soon as well.

Dibbz

Think I got about 6000 points. You can check your weekly rankings in KZ2 by going to the rankings page. I hit rank 1500~ for the week which was enough for the 1%. It helped that the map pack came out last week so they're was a push in the number of players online.

Overall I'm about 12000 now and I have a nice big red badge next to my name :D

needlesmcgirk said:
So the new "High Precision" option makes it more like COD? For some reason I was under the impression that they patched the controls a long time ago and the new "High Precision" was taking it back to how it used to be. Can someone please explain?
They have patched the controls previously, yes. The "High Precision" option does not revert them, it makes them even less like the original controls. I don't know exactly what it does, since Guerilla was careful to say that it didn't remove the sense of weight. I'm not sure anyone has examined the difference to see what it actually changes, though many people prefer them.

They aren't necessary, though. I play using the default controls (with slightly lowered sensitivity), and last night over about a dozen 32-player warzone games I earned the most points on either team every game, whether my team won or not. That's not to say I'm a particularly great player, because I'm not, or that I would do that every time. But I do think it shows that you can hold your own against other players (unless they were all using defaults too, but I doubt it).

Getting kills from hip is definitely easier now. I know because I played after a long ass break with Kittonwy and crew (blame Uncharted 2) and within the first game, I was killing with ease (the controller was wayyy sensitive when I jumped from Uncharted to Killzone and I couldn't get used to aim and shoot so I was just shooting from the hip).

mr_nothin

Banned
.GqueB. said:
Its not that hard to explain as I experienced the same thing. The sticks are just tighter. DS3 sticks are so damn loose its ridiculous. I always switch back to the Sixaxis when Im playing shooters.
:D
Glad i'm not the only one.

mr_nothin said:
:D
Glad i'm not the only one.

Duuuude. My DS3 is fine. It only flips out whenever My PS3 is at your place. And agreed, 90% of my rifle/pistols kills are from the hip. I rarely aim down the sights.

BTW DS3 > Sixaxis.. yep.

VNZ

Liabe Brave said:
They have patched the controls previously, yes. The "High Precision" option does not revert them, it makes them even less like the original controls. I don't know exactly what it does, since Guerilla was careful to say that it didn't remove the sense of weight. I'm not sure anyone has examined the difference to see what it actually changes, though many people prefer them.
The main thing it does is adjusting the stick response curve to one with a vastly reduced dead zone. Feels great! Actually the latest patch fixed my three main complaints with KZ2 multiplayer; now you can properly join up with friends, spawn grenade meat grinding is vastly reduced and the stick controls are quite fine. And the latest map pack is awesome. Great work, Guerilla!

Lince

Banned
KZ2 is officially dead in Europe, you can no longer find 8-16p games, just a couple of 32p clusterfuck rooms filled with gamers from Asia (I understand the 25 guys playing there can't find games in their region) turning everything into lag-paradise. I don't know whether it's the summer the new patch or just the game fading away, but in the current condition I'm done with KZ2.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lince said:
KZ2 is officially dead in Europe, you can no longer find 8-16p games, just a couple of 32p clusterfuck rooms filled with gamers from Asia (I understand the 25 guys playing there can't find games in their region) turning everything into lag-paradise. I don't know whether it's the summer the new patch or just the game fading away, but in the current condition I'm done with KZ2.
BACKOFF XBOT! :lol

Come on Lince, im pretty sure there are lots of people playing KZ2.

icechai

oh god, so i finally went and played on all 4 new maps that i've had for ages. Its not even funny how much of a leap Beach Head and Southern Hills is compared to Wasteland and Vekta Cruiser. Waste & Vekta are like throwaways, cluttered, not as pretty, and not as epic :p

Kittonwy

Banned
icechai said:
oh god, so i finally went and played on all 4 new maps that i've had for ages. Its not even funny how much of a leap Beach Head and Southern Hills is compared to Wasteland and Vekta Cruiser. Waste & Vekta are like throwaways, cluttered, not as pretty, and not as epic :p

Beach Head is pretty darn chaotic though. >:|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lince said:
try for yourself, sad but true, KZ2 is old news now.
I havent played KZ2 in a while. (I even havent tried the new controls :/ )
Maybe tonight we can play if you want to.

I really think you are being a little extreme, yesterday i played several matches of 'the worst game ever' and didnt have any problemes to find full rooms. (Even with 60 players)
So KZ2 must be full of players, maybe it was the time or some issue with KZ2 search or something like that.

Top Bottom