• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok,if you see me online tonight and wanna play KZ2 send me a message.
Silly question : Does KZ2 has invites ?

-viper-

Banned
so i popped in KZ2 (for the first time in a good few weeks) and bought the new maps, and wow it's still such a great game.

i love the new maps, especially southern hills. game feels so much better since the patch. still the best shooter i've played on the PS3.

Facism

Lince said:
no, but since 1.27 joining a friend automatically puts you in the same team and squad.

Brilliant addition, i must say. Waiting for them to change it back eventually after everybody complains, though :lol

Snookie

So I haven't really played to much of this game since its launch day. I couldn't handle the controls, and I just never bothered to pick it back up until last night. I installed all of the patches and found the High Precision option. WOW what a difference.

I bought all the DLC last week and patched it up and have been playing it non-stop. It's pretty easy to find full games still, which is great. It's even easier if you play in worldwide rather than your region only, and I didn't really notice much lag. The high precision thing REALLY helps. I've finally gotten good enough again to where I actually feel competitive in it.

PSN: HayabusaAllRPG if anyone wants to play.

0_0 I just downloaded the new maps. My god GG is insane I cant believe how incredible the graphics are. Did they add some new tech this is seriously incredible looking.

Thrakier

BruceLeeRoy said:
0_0 I just downloaded the new maps. My god GG is insane I cant believe how incredible the graphics are. Did they add some new tech this is seriously incredible looking.

I don't get it. What looks so much better about them? The rain effect is pretty shitty imo.

icechai

BruceLeeRoy said:

yeah its worlds apart from the previous map pack. Think they just realized making stuff with terrain is better than just having people slum it through corridors of trains or ships :p

@thrakier: ermm, hills, architecture, puddles, wind, dust, background, nuke flash? :p

KZObsessed

Lince said:
KZ2 is officially dead in Europe, you can no longer find 8-16p games, just a couple of 32p clusterfuck rooms filled with gamers from Asia (I understand the 25 guys playing there can't find games in their region) turning everything into lag-paradise. I don't know whether it's the summer the new patch or just the game fading away, but in the current condition I'm done with KZ2.

</3

KZObsessed

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I bought all the DLC last week and patched it up and have been playing it non-stop. It's pretty easy to find full games still, which is great. It's even easier if you play in worldwide rather than your region only, and I didn't really notice much lag. The high precision thing REALLY helps. I've finally gotten good enough again to where I actually feel competitive in it.

PSN: HayabusaAllRPG if anyone wants to play.

You haz bootiful name <3<3

JardeL

Is there a limitation for size of the maps ?.. I mean , is it possible to make a map like " Island Outpost " of Wowhawk for KZ2 ?.. It would be awesome...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JardeL said:
Is there a limitation for size of the maps ?.. I mean , is it possible to make a map like " Island Outpost " of Wowhawk for KZ2 ?.. It would be awesome...

damn you just me reminded of Starhawk. Totally forgot about that. Can't wait.

Starhawk > MAG

There, I said it.

To answer you Q, no I don't think the streaming tech they have allows for such huge environments without loading pauses.

I haven't played much Warhawk since Killzone2 hit. I never have a hard time finding a good game in KZ2 and play it very regularly. I love the new patch but haven't tried the new controls as it feels pretty good for me as it is.

The only thing I've noticed now is that in mid game people will quit and the teams can become lopsided, but it usually doesn't last too long. I guess its hard to auto arrange the teams during rounds since there are clans, friends together, and of course people on the winning side would be pissed to move over and lose their bonus points.

I loved how Counter-Strike auto balanced things though. Matches were always perfect.

Cruzader

Banned
I actually played KZ2 yesterday to try the new maps.

First thing I noticed, ppls are still horrible KZ2 players. I havent played over a month+ and I came in 1st place with ~120pts.(our team sucked btw we lost all rounds) Add in the fact that players using tactician are still dropping the spawn points the wrong way! Every time I spawned in one of them, I was facing the wrong way :facepalm: ..after all this time...

The new maps are great in a sense that they look really good. I only played about 2 games in each and playing in Beach Head brings back memories of KZ1..bad ones. That map was shit back then and still is to this day. I have no F'in idea why ppls wanted that level back. Add in KZ2 clusterfucks, and you get a level full of FAIL.

I'm a big KZ fan but playing the game again reminded me why I stopped.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
:lol

we can still create a GAFe room and own some randoms, but since the patch playing as a lone wolf is just painful.

<3 ?

(;_;)

We should get the clan games going again :) Sure the cheaters and laggers were annoying but they were the most fun. Small games, most teamwork.

We need to resurrect Cagen and Raist :lol

Or GAFA should join us for 1 big GAF family.

GAFElite™

KZ2 is not dead, I still find games easily, and plenty of different games, maybe not as many GAFFers and people that have already put 100+ hours in it are playing as much anymore? Maybe I have a different definition of when a game is dead online.

tfur

AranhaHunter said:
KZ2 is not dead, I still find games easily, and plenty of different games, maybe not as many GAFFers and people that have already put 100+ hours in it are playing as much anymore? Maybe I have a different definition of when a game is dead online.

I don't know where the "dead" thing is coming from. There are always tons of servers here in the US when I play. I also never get lag anymore. Maybe they restricted the servers that show up by ping rating?

Maybe it's dead for Yurope... medieval internet at what not... ;P

I still do not see why they cannot have a few official dedicated server hosts for each region, like is done with Warhawk.

Lince

Banned
tfur said:
I still do not see why they cannot have a few official dedicated server hosts for each region, like is done with Warhawk.

they need an actual player to host a game, they can't create a game and quit because next player joining the room will be handed the host. KZ2 superior multiplayer gameplay + dedicated servers + matchmaking + playlists + party system would have been the success Sony and Guerrilla once envisioned, but they chose the cheap way.

GodofWine

Lince said:
they need an actual player to host a game, they can't create a game and quit because next player joining the room will be handed the host. KZ2 superior multiplayer gameplay + dedicated servers + matchmaking + playlists + party system would have been the success Sony and Guerrilla once envisioned, but they chose the cheap way.

I really assumed it would have all of this...which is why I was just never able to really enjoy the game. By time I found out there was a patch to actually let you play with friends (my god how smart) and the controls were finally fixed...my copy was on the shelf again with a used sticker.

Its a shame...but how the 'old' warhawk lobby totally dwarfed the 'new' KZ2 lobby is beyond me.

What kinds of numbers are the weekly player count seeing? Im guessing its still in the 250K range?? I really thought this was gonna be HUGE.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GodofWine said:
I really assumed it would have all of this...which is why I was just never able to really enjoy the game. By time I found out there was a patch to actually let you play with friends (my god how smart) and the controls were finally fixed...my copy was on the shelf again with a used sticker.

Its a shame...but how the 'old' warhawk lobby totally dwarfed the 'new' KZ2 lobby is beyond me.

What kinds of numbers are the weekly player count seeing? Im guessing its still in the 250K range?? I really thought this was gonna be HUGE.
Me too i tought it was gonna the 'definitive' FPS for PS3.
Bright side is that we can get more great FPS too!

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
(;_;)

We should get the clan games going again :) Sure the cheaters and laggers were annoying but they were the most fun. Small games, most teamwork.

We need to resurrect Cagen and Raist :lol

Or GAFA should join us for 1 big GAF family.

GAFElite™

I came up with the name >.<

GodofWine said:

Lack of matchmaking and party system really killed it, I can't believe GG never heard of a party system before, what an oversight.

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
No! You came up with GAFElitest which is lame :lol

I was trying to type elite but I haz no keyboard so you beat me to it :lol I doubt creating one clan would help all that much. It seems like people are just loosing interest in the game, and right now I have a new shiny toy MLB The Show

Zen

Banned
GodofWine said:

It was 157k last week, I think it was up a bit on account of the 2 new maps.

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
I was trying to type elite but I haz no keyboard so you beat me to it :lol I doubt creating one clan would help all that much. It seems like people are just loosing interest in the game, and right now I have a new shiny toy MLB The Show

Well Raist is coming back after inFAMOUS. If he comes back so will his lover Cagen. Me & Lince will stay forever... FOREVER. I'll make sure of it
angry.gif
. Rick will always be there with his shining awesomeness. Live will play now and again. Chryz and Dave still play.

Kittonwy's claws are in and wont be leaving. If you and aj stay, and cj plays now and again. And whoever else I've forgotten. That's enough players in itself but I'm sure others will follow and get back into it if we re-organise and get back into it ourselves.

alr1ghtstart said:
GAFAwesome > GAFElite

GAFA vs GAFE Round 2 :lol

Cruzader said:

aaaaand you're officially banned from ever naming anything again :lol

careful

AranhaHunter said:
Lack of matchmaking and party system really killed it, I can't believe GG never heard of a party system before, what an oversight.
Don't underestimate the original weird controls. Just from personal experience, right off the bat, that turned off most of my FPS friends. It also says a lot about the old controls how so many people are now saying the HP mode controls much better.

I hope GG can learn from this for KZ3.
1) Normal controls
2) Party/matchmaking
3) Balance issues
4) Map design (less chaos / more tactical)

pixelbox

You guys are over critical of game. How did Gow stand all these year with the extremely broken online they had? No one complained that much about that game. Here we have a game worlds better and it gets shited on daily because it's not a clone. sigh.

Thrakier

pixelbox said:
You guys are over critical of game. How did Gow stand all these year with the extremely broken online they had? No one complained that much about that game. Here we have a game worlds better and it gets shited on daily because it's not a clone. sigh.

No, not because it's not a clone, but because in my opinion the developers weren't able to see the potential of THEIR OWN GAME. They make it something like fucking UT with 32 players on a map made for 12 players! It would be SO fucking easy: NO respawn, NO assault/rockets, max. players 16 - DONE. I can't stand those fucking clusterfucks all the time. It's annoying, laggy and the framerate suffers.

careful

pixelbox said:
You realize that if people had kept quiet, we would probably not have gotten any of the good stuff from the patches?

Thrakier

FFObsessed said:
Well Raist is coming back after inFAMOUS. If he comes back so will his lover Cagen. Me & Lince will stay forever... FOREVER. I'll make sure of it
angry.gif
. Rick will always be there with his shining awesomeness. Live will play now and again. Chryz and Dave still play.

My trunk is not amused.

BeeDog

Goddamn, I planned on actually sinking some heavy time into the KZ2 multiplayer with you guys, but something fucking serious in RL came inbetween, so can only play singleplayer games (where I can't devote hours upon hours to). Goddamn I'm bummed (mostly for the RL thing :( ).

careful said:
Don't underestimate the original weird controls. Just from personal experience, right off the bat, that turned off most of my FPS friends. It also says a lot about the old controls how so many people are now saying the HP mode controls much better.

I hope GG can learn from this for KZ3.
1) Normal controls
2) Party/matchmaking
3) Balance issues
4) Map design (less chaos / more tactical)

I didn't have as big a problem with the controls as most others but I see what you're saying, I'll add that they need a co op mode for Killzone 3 and local multiplayer split screen for skirmish and warzone mode, as well as for the co op mode.

pixelbox said:

My main issues are the lack of matchmaking and a party system, they found a nice workaround for you to play with friends, but that was a major oversight IMO.

KZObsessed

BeeDog said:
Goddamn, I planned on actually sinking some heavy time into the KZ2 multiplayer with you guys, but something fucking serious in RL came inbetween, so can only play singleplayer games (where I can't devote hours upon hours to). Goddamn I'm bummed (mostly for the RL thing :( ).

<3

JudgeN

Matchmaking really isn't the all greatness people make it out to be, there a reason most PC games use server list. It always seems like matchmaking it either works ok or it falls completely flat on its face. Speaking of which is there a way to do server browsing and have a party system?

Also people should really stop cramming no respawn down people throats, I can understand how it will make the game more tactical but if you can't see how it will piss off inexperience players then it time to take off those glasses.

No respawn as an option? sure, why not. But that's it. Hell, maybe even option/mode where each player or each faction has a certain amount of spawns that is shared by the players.

No respawn won't solve all the problems, it'll even work against some game objectives.. why search and destroy the target when you could just waste the opposing team?

But I am for a no respawn. If is never happens, then *shrug* won't change anything. I'll just continue playing till UC2 and MW2 hit the shelves.

Lince

Banned
JudgeN said:
Speaking of which is there a way to do server browsing and have a party system?

Resistance 2 has both, matchmaking + party system for ranked games and server browsing (where every game you create is hosted on a dedicated server) + party system for unranked games. Basically, SCEA sending SCEE to school.

pixelbox

Well that's the nature of game development. Don't sit too high up there, if not you guys, someone would have complained. Killzone is not the first game to be patched, and certainly not the last. With the exception of search options and party system, the changes "gaf" desires are pure subjective.

pixelbox

Lince said:
Resistance 2 has both, matchmaking + party system for ranked games and server browsing (where every game you create is hosted on a dedicated server) + party system for unranked games. Basically, SCEA sending SCEE to school.
I've read your posts/complains and most are definitely valid, the others are pure subjective. If you want no respawns and smaller matches by default, play Socom instead of spamming the thread with your desires. I know you're passionate about the game but man, there are other games to suit your tastes. You know GG is working on it. Enough of the doom and gloom. Adapt or quit.

Lince

Banned
pixelbox said:
I've read your posts/complains and most are definitely valid, the others are pure subjective. If you want no respawns and smaller matches by default, play Socom instead of spamming the thread with your desires. I know you're passionate about the game but man, there are other games to suit your tastes. You know GG is working on it. Enough of the doom and gloom. Adapt or quit.

u talking to me?

Top Bottom