• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Took a night off, will be on tonight.
Indifferent2.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Since servers are still down for maintenance I checked the Medic gun effect in Skirmish mode and it is indeed much improved. Rather than being a fat, bright, straight line with some zigzag patterns on it, the reviving beam waves in the air kinda like the blotgun beam now, it's thinner and it's much more transparent, barely visible from a distance. I think they also added sparks to it. Or at least I don't recall them being so clearly visible.

I also noticed an increased effectiveness of the Medic gun as a weapon. Not sure if it worked like this before, but if you hold R1 it keeps firing rhythmically as long as you keep the crosshairs on the target. IIRC you had to tap R1 before.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
So...now I'm asking myself what took them so long to fix this in an otherwise very polished game in the graphics departement.

I guess the inclusion of the boltgun is the reason. They had to introduce a brand new effect so they probably decided to apply it to the medic gun as well.

I'm playing salamun market now (the medic gun effect looks brighter here compared to how it looked like in PR) and I think they changed something. I recall there being a metal pillar in one of the hallways but it's not there anymore. Not sure if it's my memory tricking me. I'm checking this out right now.

Edit: Nah. Just checked an old vid on youtube and it's the same.

morlock

TTP said:
I guess the inclusion of the boltgun is the reason. They had to introduce a brand new effect so they probably decided to apply it to the medic gun as well.
The boltgun shoots spikes/exploding nails. I think you mean the VC5 Electricity Gun which is not included in MP. :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Servers are back up.

Just checked the new Battle Replay features and wow, cool stuff. You can now leave comments and have players names displayed on the map by checking the corresponding box in the players list

2cdagxv.png

I'm not getting any sound tho. Perhaps it applies to Battle Replays generated after the patch?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Did quick 8vs8 on Beach Head map. Lag seems reduced (kill delay is definitely less) but I was reminded why I ain't playing this game anymore. So much chaos/fremedrops :/

It's night and day compared to the fun I'm having with BF1943, a game which achieves the perfect balance between map size and players count. So perfect, indeed, I don't mind it's free-respawn.

I think I'm gonna stick with BF1943.

agaru

Thrakier said:
I see you are already starting with the man-love. Good good.
Oh man... :lol

I think I'm gonna fire up the game and download the new update, maybe play a couple of matches or so. I read somewhere that the server info feature doesn't include the missions times. Is that true? :(

-viper-

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
I keep being killed by them damn helghast before I'm able to put enough rockets into the train though. I guess I'm just no good at killzoning.
You could try grabbing the rocket launcher, and running all the way back to the tank with the mounted MG. Mow down any Helghast, then run back and shoot the tank.

TTP said:
Did quick 8vs8 on Beach Head map. Lag seems reduced (kill delay is definitely less) but I was reminded why I ain't playing this game anymore. So much chaos/fremedrops :/

It's night and day compared to the fun I'm having with BF1943, a game which achieves the perfect balance between map size and players count. So perfect, indeed, I don't mind it's free-respawn.

Why aren't you playing Socom or Warhawk? Warhawk because it's better than BF and Socom because 4vs4 is just about perfection.

I find it hard to believe that just now they finally have server info for KZ2. Better late than never I suppose.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
Why aren't you playing Socom or Warhawk? Warhawk because it's better than BF and Socom because 4vs4 is just about perfection.

I don't play Socom cos it looks and performs like ass. And I can't stand the menu interface.
I don't play Warhawk cos I played it a fucking lot already and I've moved on. And on foot combat is weak compared to a proper FPS.

There are a lot of things a like about BF1943 that should be standard in every fucking online shooter. But the one thing I love the most (which also COD4 had) is the "passive communication" system they have in place.

You spot an enemy -> An icon appears on every other player screen showing where he is as long as you keep him under your sights. No need to waste time to describe where you saw him.

Pre-recorded teammates voices inform you about actions they did which are relevant to you. ie: they kill the enemy you were trying to kill yourself before he hid behind a rock and you hear "enemy down" and the likes. No need to go investigate. No need for your mate to inform you via voice chat. Heck, no need for your mate to even realize he killed your target. Another example: when a vehicle is approaching, if you don't see it but one of your close by buddies does, you hear "Tank!" and you know shit is coming.

And so on. This stuff not only helps understanding your surroundings but also makes it feel more real and intense, while reducing the language barrier when playing with people from all over the world.

Thrakier

Bearillusion said:
That's really not true. Socom 4vs4 or even 8vs8 is rock solid with no framerate drops. When is the last time you played it?

It still looks like ass, though. ;) And I only played a few games and almost always had problems with crashes and stuff. Crashes to XMB on a regular basis is a no go for me, sorry.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
That's really not true. Socom 4vs4 or even 8vs8 is rock solid with no framerate drops. When is the last time you played it?

About 2 or 3 moths ago. But just for 5 minutes to check it out post beta. I couldn't stand it more than that. It still took ages to load and navigating the menus was still painful. And yeah, it does still look like ass. It shouldn't run at 30fps but rather 120fps or something.

agaru

Bearillusion said:
I find it hard to believe that just now they finally have server info for KZ2. Better late than never I suppose.
Indeed. It should have been included in the game on release. I've just had a look at it, very useful and nicely done. No missions times info though :( but I think that should be in the next patch if there is one. Anyways, I'm taking a long break from this game. Time for Fallout 3 (PC) and KOFXII.

Thrakier said:
It still looks like ass, though. ;) And I only played a few games and almost always had problems with crashes and stuff. Crashes to XMB on a regular basis is a no go for me, sorry.

Some of the maps look great. Others not so much. I've only had the game for about 2 months and it has never once crashed. You probably played it before the patches fixed the majority of the problems it had at launch. Give it another shot.

TTP said:
About 2 or 3 moths ago. But just for 5 minutes to check it out post beta. I couldn't stand it more than that. It still took ages to load and navigating the menus was still painful. And yeah, it does still look like ass. It shouldn't run at 30fps but rather 120fps or something.

Come on, give it more than 5 minutes. That's hardly fair.

Anyway...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
Come on, give it more than 5 minutes. That's hardly fair.

Anyway...

I got the game for free and sent it to Wollan. I'm not gonna BUY it just to give it another go. Will wait for a proper next gen SOCOM.

YoungHav

Banned
Can we get a Halo 3 replay system? I was disappointed when I found out battle replay was some stupid flat map with X's and dots. This game ends in November.

Thrakier

Bearillusion said:
Some of the maps look great. Others not so much. I've only had the game for about 2 months and it has never once crashed. You probably played it before the patches fixed the majority of the problems it had at launch. Give it another shot.

I played it post patch and I'm not the only one complaining about crashes...

morlock

Looks like there are 1 new weapon for each new map?

Cut and pasted from kz.com
Flamethrower and Boltgun
Napalm & Cordite, contains two exciting new multiplayer maps: Suljeva Cliffside, which takes place on the rocky outskirts of the Suljeva mining village. And Arctower Landing, which revisits the Arctower defense posts of Blood Meridian. In Suljeva Cliffside, players can pick up the VC1 flamethrower. It has an ignited stream of flammable liquid, indigenous to Helghan. The Boltgun 4400 can be picked up in Arctower Landing. This misused industrial tool will have an explosive impact on multiplayer action.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
morlock said:
Looks like there are 1 new weapon for each new map?

Were you expecting one new weapon per player? Heck I bet that single flamethrower alone will cause the frame rate to dip below 20fps during clusterfucks.

I kinda wish they would add in option to add the new weapons to the other maps when creating games.

So if someone gets the new weapon, does it respawn for others to take after a while or does a person keep it till they die? Can the new weapons be picked up after killing opponent with it?

morlock

TTP said:
Were you expecting one new weapon per player? Heck I bet that single flamethrower alone will cause the frame rate to dip below 20fps during clusterfucks.
I was expecting both the flamethrower and the bolt gun on both maps.

A.R.K

TTP said:

You are seeing framedrops in 8v8 matches? something is wrong as I do not see framedrops much unless they are 12+v12+ on small maps or with every one trying to get in a room and dropping gnades and what not. Even then its been playable for me. On large maps I have played 32p games and have not experienced any framedrops except a few here and there. But for 99% of time its been very smooth in my experience.

TheFatOne

A.R.K said:
You are seeing framedrops in 8v8 matches? something is wrong as I do not see framedrops much unless they are 12+v12+ on small maps or with every one trying to get in a room and dropping gnades and what not. Even then its been playable for me. On large maps I have played 32p games and have not experienced any framedrops except a few here and there. But for 99% of time its been very smooth in my experience.

Play BG,CC, or RA 32 players with rockets and then come back and post your experience on those maps. They play like absolute shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
A.R.K said:
You are seeing framedrops in 8v8 matches?

No. I'm seeing frame drops in 8v8 on Beach Head. Albeit it's more than 8v8 if you factor in 4 turrets and 2 air drones per side. So it's more like 14 vs 14 :lol

Barely playable.

That map is best suited for no more than 4v4.

A.R.K

TheFatOne said:
Play BG,CC, or RA 32 players with rockets and then come back and post your experience on those maps. They play like absolute shit.

I already said on small/medium maps it does cause problems with rockets and all going every where. But most games I play with GAFe or otherwise rockets are off. So I do not experience those problem that much.
Just don't play those kind of games then.

TheFatOne

A.R.K said:
I already said on small/medium maps it does cause problems with rockets and all going every where. But most games I play with GAFe or otherwise rockets are off. So I do not experience those problem that much.
Just don't play those kind of games then.

Even on larger maps the frame rates will dip. Especially during search and defend of search and destroy.

Edit: The only map that I almost never see frame rate drops is PR.

mr_nothin

Banned
Oh fuck off...too much KZ2 hate in here!

Less lag? AWESOME
Server info, awesome

Airbots that are useful but not too deadly...ok i guess (i never had a problem with how they were).

Sounds like pretty good improvements to me.
Cant wait to get back in! Which should be soon :D

JardeL

Yeah , lag/framerate complaints are exaggerated... I play 8vs8 for a long time and never experienced lag or framerate drops...

Good improvements but it is too late... KZ2 community is around 150K per week now... They should release these patches when it was 300K-500K ...

Oh god it is so good to see all the details about games before joining. Now hopefully people will learn to ban the rocket weapons themselves instead of assault class.

mr_nothin

Banned
JardeL said:
Yeah , lag/framerate complaints are exaggerated... I play 8vs8 for a long time and never experienced lag or framerate drops...

Good improvements but it is too late... KZ2 community is around 150K per week now... They should release these patches when it was 300K-500K ...
Well going by KZ1, the KZ2 community should have longevity.

slider

Dammit. Was attempting my 2nd ever online session in KZ2 and the small patch (90MB) has 164 minutes left. All because of my shitty wireless network (I actually have to move the router to get a signal for my PS3!).

Ugh.

I ignored the online portion because of Warhawk. Played for the first time ever a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'll hold of trying wo wangle my way into any clan until I lose my noob status... which could take some time.

: (

Kittonwy

Banned
Bearillusion said:

Played it recently, had fun. I think SOCOM is fun when everybody try to play together and work as a group, but even when everything works I still feel like a loner in a clan with 5 members and only two people playing at the most, greg and beatbox are very good but they both kind of do their own thing. There are a lot of good clans out there but basically there are just way too few people from gaf playing, and so I went back to Killzone 2, playing with only a couple of people in a 8v8 match just doesn't work for me, I enjoy the group dynamic much more than just soloing in a game with good game mechanics.

Kittonwy

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Oh fuck off...too much KZ2 hate in here!

Less lag? AWESOME
Server info, awesome

Airbots that are useful but not too deadly...ok i guess (i never had a problem with how they were).

Sounds like pretty good improvements to me.
Cant wait to get back in! Which should be soon :D

How come ur not back yet you haz invite pending.
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
RavenFox said:

It's not personal so don't take offense, when I started GAFA it filled up so quickly I couldn't invite anymore, when we merged with GAFe there were no officers from GAFA until recently when I was made an officer. I'll send u an invite when there's room.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

slider said:
Dammit. Was attempting my 2nd ever online session in KZ2 and the small patch (90MB) has 164 minutes left. All because of my shitty wireless network (I actually have to move the router to get a signal for my PS3!).

Ugh.

I ignored the online portion because of Warhawk. Played for the first time ever a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'll hold of trying wo wangle my way into any clan until I lose my noob status... which could take some time.

: (

You don't have to do that. It's more fun to play together even as a noob.

Top Bottom