• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

slider

patsu said:
You don't have to do that. It's more fun to play together even as a noob.

You're right actually. That was probably the biggest buzz, playing with people I sort of knew.

I guess I'm embarrassed by my e-peen if you know what I mean. : (

A.R.K

alr1ghtstart said:
so, yeah, airbots are still flying death machines.

good :)..they were useless POS before!

See ya guys online tonight
Indifferent2.gif

I may have missed something but I still don't get why GG doesn't add a "hardcore" mode ala COD4: 3 to 5 bullets and you're dead. No respawn. No bots (god they're annoying!). Just your gun, your squad...and fear of death.

That would give the game such a fresh air, that would really change the way people play it...

Do we have any explanation from GG? Is there a good reason for not doing it?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
cassiusclay99 said:
I may have missed something but I still don't get why GG doesn't add a "hardcore" mode ala COD4: 3 to 5 bullets and you're dead. No respawn. No bots (god they're annoying!). Just your gun, your squad...and fear of death.

That would give the game such a fresh air, that would really change the way people play it...

I think that motherh said that is not going to happen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cassiusclay99 said:

They love clusterfucks. They call it "intensity".

Not going to happen? Fuck!

Intensity? Fuck again! Right now it s clusterfuck on every map and every game! And btw, isn't COD4 intense? This is ridiculous.

The community is getting smaller and smaller, nobody plays (buys?) the map packs... and they won't propose anything else in term of gameplay mechanics ? This is nonsense.

They could just allow us to make the game fully costumisable:
respawn/no respawn
full damage/half damage/low damage/x% damage
bots/no bots
and so on...

Wtf is wrong with that? Wtf is wrong wanting to have the choice? I ll never understand devs who try to force you to play the way they decided... and prevent you from having fun the way YOU want.

cassiusclay99 said:
Intensity? Fuck again! Right now it s clusterfuck on every map and every game!
If you don't like that, play as a Scout. They don't get involved in scrums very often.

cassiusclay99 said:
Wtf is wrong wanting to have the choice? I ll never understand devs who try to force you to play the way they decided... and prevent you from having fun the way YOU want.
Have you ever created anything? Home movies, graphic design, writing, art? If you get it to even partially resemble what you had in your head to start, it's real tough to let someone else come in and scramble it. I'm not saying choice is bad or that you can't feel disappointed it's not there, just trying to engender a little sympathy for developers who have poured their time and creativity into a product.

patsu

slider said:
You're right actually. That was probably the biggest buzz, playing with people I sort of knew.

I guess I'm embarrassed by my e-peen if you know what I mean. : (

e-peen ???? No.. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. I mean I can't understand the feeling anymore. My e-peen fell off shortly after trying out Warhawk. :)

A.R.K

cassiusclay99 said:
Not going to happen? Fuck!

Intensity? Fuck again! Right now it s clusterfuck on every map and every game! And btw, isn't COD4 intense? This is ridiculous.

The community is getting smaller and smaller, nobody plays (buys?) the map packs... and they won't propose anything else in term of gameplay mechanics ? This is nonsense.

They could just allow us to make the game fully costumisable:
respawn/no respawn
full damage/half damage/low damage/x% damage
bots/no bots
and so on...

Wtf is wrong with that? Wtf is wrong wanting to have the choice? I ll never understand devs who try to force you to play the way they decided... and prevent you from having fun the way YOU want.

man this crap creeps up every 2 pages in this thread...No one will be 100% satisfied with KZ2 ever! Just play the game as it is or move on like others have. And GG should also move on to KZ3 or whatever else is cooking instead of doing these tweaks to please one group while the other group gets pissed off and then do further tweaks to piss off some other group. Just leave it man.

I don't know what games you guys end up playing, but most GAF games are awesome without much clusterfuck. And there are 2 kinds of clusterfucks: 1. disorganized clusterfucks which are really annoying 2. organized clusterfucks (like in GAF games) which are fine for some of the missions.

Liabe Brave said:
If you don't like that, play as a Scout. They don't get involved in scrums very often.

Have you ever created anything? Home movies, graphic design, writing, art? If you get it to even partially resemble what you had in your head to start, it's real tough to let someone else come in and scramble it. I'm not saying choice is bad or that you can't feel disappointed it's not there, just trying to engender a little sympathy for developers who have poured their time and creativity into a product.

Well... I did not mean to be offensive... and don't think I was disrespectful for GG. Actually I love KZ2: I spent hours and hours on it! But it shouldn't mean that I am not allowed to criticize what i think is wrong with it.

To answer your question, I am a screenplay writer myself, for french tv... so yes: i create things. That s my job. And I know that some people will read my screenplays in a way that i may not have expected. Some people will like things that I don't... some will hate things that I find great. And some people will hate my work from A to Z. Fair enough. That's the rule when you create things that are meant to be seen/sold to people.

As you say, KZ2 is a product: and i am a costumer. If I buy a car, i m allowed to complain if the horn button is in the trunk, if the wheel is too hard, or does not turn right. Why couldn't I for a game?

Anyway. I have an enormous respect for guerilla games: KZ2 is technically a terrific achievement. The most impressive game i've seen in my life. I would have loved that the gameplay mechanics had been more friendly et costumisable. Is it so wrong?

cryptic

32 is better than 8 vs. 8 on any map.

I thoroughly enjoy throwing a grenade and getting five people. I have no problem dying two seconds after spawning but not just before getting multiple kills.

This game is intense solely because of the player to map ratio, the definition doesn't change to fit your argument. I think you guys should either adjust or move on as the majority don't have a problem with this.

Also, don't try telling me the low numbers are explainable because of this "barrier" because that's entirely conjecture without any grounds for proof. If a person has trouble with a game they're just as likely to continue to play to get better because they paid $60 for the game, but I don't have any proof for that either.

There is nothing wrong with full customization.

agaru

Speaking of clusterfucks, we were playing a 32p S&D game in Radec Academy the other day, and one guy killed 6 people in the target area with a single grenade! You should have heard the comments through the mics.. :lol 32p games in small maps can bring a good laugh if you want to play occasionally for the lulz.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
enjoy your auto-aim fest then.

It's quite easy to find non-clusterfuck games. Usually 18-20 people, no rocket/assault makes the game shine. The key though, is having a competent tactician. It's usually why I only play gaf games, as they usually know how/when/where to drop spawns. Public matches are tolerable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
agaru said:
Speaking of clusterfucks, we were playing a 32p S&D game in Radec Academy the other day, and one guy killed 6 people in the target area with a single grenade! You should have heard the comments through the mics.. :lol 32p games in small maps can bring a good laugh if you want to play occasionally for the lulz.

Yeah, we have come to the point we play KZ2 occasionally just for the lulz. KZ2 is basically a glorified chat room now. People talk shit while tossing nades into chaos. Not my cup of tea honestly.

Facism

TTP said:
Yeah, we have come to the point we play KZ2 occasionally just for the lulz. KZ2 is basically a glorified chat room now. People talk shit while tossing nades into chaos. Not my cup of tea honestly.

Well, like i said earlier, it's a shame we don't play those "hardcore" rules that you developed.

It was a lot of fun doing 8v8 with Riflemen and medics only on PoS Rise. Shame you can't disable secondary badges, we could of thrown Engineers and Tacts in there too.

JoJo13

Banned
TTP said:

Find smaller rooms.

Also, 1 death games are boring as fuck and pointless.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:

Can't you just search for smaller rooms? I mean, it's in the search options now isn't it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Facism said:
Well, like i said earlier, it's a shame we don't play those "hardcore" rules that you developed.

It was a lot of fun doing 8v8 with Riflemen and medics only on PoS Rise. Shame you can't disable secondary badges, we could of thrown Engineers and Tacts in there too.

I just tried one (4v4 in small maps) and basically spent about an hour exploring maps all alone, looking at random people joining and soon leaving from time to time.

Sad.

JoJo13 said:
Find smaller rooms.

Also, 1 death games are boring as fuck and pointless.

Small rooms are not small enough and usually fucked up somewhere. The only option is to make one myself, but I don't have time to waste waiting for people to join and stick with it for at least one round.

1 death games are not boring nor pointless at all. Gears of War and COD4 S&D game mode are probably some of the best online game experiences I've ever had since the very first SOCOM. Not to say there is no way to make free respawn games actually fun, like BF1943, Uncharted 2 and many more are.

But we went through this discussion a lot in this thread so I'll stop here and just wait for MW2.

JoJo13

Banned
TTP said:
I just tried one (4v4 in small maps) and basically spent about an hour exploring maps all alone, looking at random people joining and soon leaving from time to time.

Sad.

Small rooms are not small enough and usually fucked up somewhere. The only option is to make one myself, but I don't have time to waste waiting for people to join and stick with it for at least one round.

1 death games are not boring nor pointless at all. Gears of War and COD4 S&D game mode are probably some of the best online game experiences I've ever had since the very first SOCOM. Not to say there is no way to make free respawn games actually fun, like BF1943, Uncharted 2 and many more are.

But we went through this discussion a lot in this thread so I'll stop here and just wait for MW2.

Yeah...no.

I don't like games where one cheap kill can determine an entire game and keep me out of the action.

FTL.

Also, when I say small rooms, I mean 16-22 players. You can find plenty of active rooms in that range

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JoJo13 said:
Yeah...no.

I don't like games where one cheap kill can determine an entire game and keep me out of the action.

FTL.

Also, when I say small rooms, I mean 16-22 players. You can find plenty of active rooms in that range

Well, I don't like games where multiple kills mean nothing at all.

16-22 is too much unless only on PR.

Beowulf28

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Does anyone else think that Beach head is the most one sided bullshit. If your Helghast, your fucked. I have yet to win a single round on that map.
Odd I never seem to have that problem. Maybe you just need to find better teammates.

agaru

Yeah, one always finds a different new way or intention for playing a match. Personally, If I keep playing the same serious 8v8 or Minifrag games over and over, I'll eventually get bored and quit. This is why I always try to find new ways to enjoy the MP with games like pistol-only, 8v8 medic-only warzone, melee, or even 32p rockets-only parties :p I've already spent around 400 hours with the game and I can see myself going back to it after a while and still enjoy it. Although Killzone 2 suffers from a few issues here and there, and stuff that got fixed late, I think it has the most fun FPS MP so far this generation.

Melfice7

Now if only friendly fire was always on .. :/ i miss the beta, im tired of all these clusterfucks of grenades rockets c4 being thrown randomly everywhere since theres no consequences :<

Melfice7 said:
Now if only friendly fire was always on .. :/ i miss the beta, im tired of all these clusterfucks of grenades rockets c4 being thrown randomly everywhere since theres no consequences :<

I played for the longest time thinking FF was always on like in the beta lol

Melfice7 said:

Even when games have friendly fire on people still go nuts with grenades and rockets.

Facism

TTP said:

Sad.

Yeh that's the unfortunate reality of it. Really needs to be organised with people you know in the clan as well as some of our trusted friends in v3.

[edit]Rick, damn right. GAFe gained the nickname Hero Kings because of how skilled and majestic we all are.

TTP said:
You are not describing my experience with GAFe. When there's a full squad or more of GAFers, we tend to be smooth and coordinated. Yes, there's a certain amount of chaos in any Search & Destroy, but a good team can reduce even that by clipping off approachways and not simply huddling next to the target. I understand and appreciate that the game isn't to your taste, but please don't ascribe those tastes to others.

Or perhaps you were just using the royal "we".

TheFatOne

Liabe Brave said:
You are not describing my experience with GAFe. When there's a full squad or more of GAFers, we tend to be smooth and coordinated. Yes, there's a certain amount of chaos in any Search & Destroy, but a good team can reduce even that by clipping off approachways and not simply huddling next to the target. I understand and appreciate that the game isn't to your taste, but please don't ascribe those tastes to others.

Or perhaps you were just using the royal "we".

You should be in my squad sometime. Most of the time I play for the lulz. One time I killed Kittonwy when he was the assassination target, but he was on my team :lol

icechai

Melfice7 said:

i loved the beta too but you won't believe the amount of complainers in the official forums about FF. Even when we play with other non GAFers, they complain a crap ton about FF. And considering how accommodating GG is, FF default will never happen even though that was their original vision.

A.R.K

interview with GG guys

http://thegameraccess.com/ps3/guerilla-games-not-done-with-the-ps3

TheGamerAccess.com: Have and will you guys ever consider making a sequel/prequel where the player sees the war from the eyes of the Helghast?

Mathijs de Jonge: It’s certainly an interesting idea but again right now we are still in full online and DLC support for Killzone 2.

TheGamerAccess.com: Will we ever see different online modes such as hardcore, no respawn, or even games that have rounds instead of the full warzone?

Eric Boltjes: We are currently investigating if we can put in such features in the future but no promises yet.

icechai

polyh3dron said:
Anybody playing tonight?

i see you on :p so does mhead and ark and lemm. Good to know at least in GAF the online is still thriving. I've never used the normal join since the game first came out... join friend = best :)

gg on the last one, switched to the other team since we had 4 more ppl, by the end of the game we had even teams :)

A.R.K

icechai said:
i see you on :p so does mhead and ark and lemm. Good to know at least in GAF the online is still thriving. I've never used the normal join since the game first came out... join friend = best :)

damn that last game was bad!!! got our ass kicked :lol

where were you kitton, we needed you tonight!!!
KlintIndifference.gif

But good fun guys :D . I am out for tonight

icechai

A.R.K said:
interview with GG guys

TheGamerAccess.com: Will we ever see different online modes such as hardcore, no respawn, or even games that have rounds instead of the full warzone?

Eric Boltjes: We are currently investigating if we can put in such features in the future but no promises yet.

good to know the pressure is getting to them :p It would definitely bring a boost in gameplay feature if they added hardcore and CTF mode (s&r is different enough from standard CTF to warrant a CTF feature no?).

Think hardcore could be simple enough, disable all abilities (so assault would have no extra health, sniper would have no cloak, etc.), so you just have weapon layouts to choose from, and respawn at the end of every round of warzone.

Dementia

My god... some of the tacticians playing this game are dumb as fucking shit. This last match on Helghans Industries I was playing as tactician, but some halfwit tool kept placing points that were not only backwards, but in the middle of doorways at hotspots on the map, and it would turn into a fucking graveyard around that point. And other times when I would place a spawn in a more protected area in the vicinity of an objective this other guy would almost immediately place a spawn right nearby, but in the open... and backwards, of course. I came close to rage quitting several times because of this retarded tactician.

GG really needs to make a patch that labels who threw a particular spawn point down so we can send the nerd-rage mail.

I can't believe after all this time there are still so many witless tacticians running around... it's fucking infuriating.

icechai

A.R.K said:
damn that last game was bad!!! got our ass kicked :lol

where were you kitton, we needed you tonight!!!
KlintIndifference.gif

But good fun guys :D . I am out for tonight

that was an example of how any decent tactician can completely change a team (we destroyed the same players in the previous maps). Once I kept the spawns up it turned out those pub guys were pretty decent at working their classes and killing.

ouch sorry to hear about the tactician on your side. Was wondering how we got through a full long round of s&d without you guys even getting a spawn in there :p

Kuroyume

Banned
Have they released a trailer for the upcoming map pack?

Although I haven't picked up any of the previous map packs yet I really like that they're supporting the game like this. Eight maps wasn't enough for what they launched with. Killzone 3 needs to do better than that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I love when the opposing team places a spawn in the stationary turret's view. I must have mowed down 20+ people from spawning right next to the S&D objective.:lol

Dementia

alr1ghtstart said:
I love when the opposing team places a spawn in the stationary turret's view. I must have mowed down 20+ people from spawning right next to the S&D objective.:lol
Yeah, sometimes I'm really not sure which team these brilliant tacticians are trying to help.

Guess I'm one of the batch that got approved just recently. Anyway I've been stalking GAF for nearly a year, and finally being able to post...feels good man. :D

Anyway, KZ2: I usually play tactician with a bit of sab+sta-14 thrown in on the side. Already in a clan but I'd love to join in on your games.

I think I've run into some of you a bunch of times, (jardel, ffobssessed, lince, Chryz are those that I can remember).

PSN - rc94

Top Bottom