• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
JardeL said:
Because you probably will talk negative about it after a month , we remember the good old " Let the hype engulf you ! " dayz ...
Indifferent2.gif

j/k

Wut time u play KZ2? Usually NA guyz play 10pm EST onward but I don't see u on much.
angry.gif

KZObsessed

icechai said:
i loved the beta too but you won't believe the amount of complainers in the official forums about FF. Even when we play with other non GAFers, they complain a crap ton about FF. And considering how accommodating GG is, FF default will never happen even though that was their original vision.

I'm not that bad :(

tiddles said:
By the way, the patch notes weren't very clear - nothing has actually changed about the damage done by Sentry Bots (air bots), but their health has been reverted to pre-1.27 levels - it turned out to be one change too many, especially in small games, so we put it back the way it was...

Send me a PS3 Slim so I can keep playing your game. I know you haz one :3

patsu

BattleMonkey said:
Airbots are perfect now. They go down nice and fast, and can cause some actual hurt still.

I agree. It's not the first time I mentally pointed at the sky and cursed. Seems fine and useful now.

Dynamic3

Kittonwy said:
Wut time u play KZ2? Usually NA guyz play 10pm EST onward but I don't see u on much.
angry.gif

Hey Kittonwy, I finally got my acct. activated! I am going to start up again now that there is another pack about to hit. Can you get me in the clan now?

JardeL

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif
I usually play at midnite , GMT+2 here...

Just played 2-3 matches with Capt_Mhead and Dave ... And guys trust me those were not my spawn points , really :lol ...

dumbass_

Banned
So i just bought the game

Should i play it with or without the patch (Single player mode)

I heard some people saying that they made the controlling much easier but it become totally different

Any advice about the controller settings? i remember when i played the demo i changed them to be just like COD4 just because i was too lazy to get used to the main controls

Dementia

JardeL said:

Just played 2-3 matches with Capt_Mhead and Dave ... And guys trust me those were not my spawn points , really :lol ...
So that's like... +7 hours from EST I think?

No wonder I don't see you online as often anymore. You should start waking up around 7 in the morning to play with us... that's when most of the US gaffers seem to be on.:lol

Btw those spawn points were pretty bad, but nothing compared to the craptastic ones being thrown down last night.

A.R.K

TTP said:
BTW, what are you GAFe guys waiting for before buying this game? I know some of you have their PS3s YLOD'ed but what about the rest? Come on guys. I'd love to play this with you all.

JardeL said:
Because you probably will talk negative about it after a month , we remember the good old " Let the hype engulf you ! " dayz ...
Indifferent2.gif

j/k

but a very true j/k
:lol

A.R.K

Kittonwy said:
Sorry, my internet and cable were out last night, cable company did some maintenance outside and it got messed up somehow, no TV or internet the whole night, nothing until this afternoon, it drove me up teh wallz.
angry.gif

I know that feeling man...feels like part of you is dead, we are internetz slaves!! :lol

My 60GB Playstation 3 broke earlier this year in April, so I can't experience the latest patch for Killzone 2, but the patch does seem impressive. The inclusion of the information screen is something that is very nice, and would have definitely came in handy when I was able to play the game. I hope to get another Playstation 3 soon so I can start playing this awesome game again.

ChryZ

TTP said:
BTW, what are you GAFe guys waiting for before buying this game? I know some of you have their PS3s YLOD'ed but what about the rest? Come on guys. I'd love to play this with you all.
I tried the demo and to be honest ... I'd rather go back to Warhawk. I'll stick to Killzone2 for now.

BeeDog

ChryZ said:
I tried the demo and to be honest ... I'd rather go back to Warhawk. I'll stick to Killzone2 for now.

It takes a short while for it to click (longer than the trial time), but trust me/us, it's great fun. Me and TTP did some pwning just now (I did most of it :p), and even with 3 maps it still hasn't gotten old.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
It takes a short while for it to click (longer than the trial time), but trust me/us, it's great fun. Me and TTP did some pwning just now (I did most of it :p), and even with 3 maps it still hasn't gotten old.

GG there. :)

Yeah, game is so awesome it actually turned my sentiments towards the upcoming Bad Company 2 from "yeah, ok, whatever" to "OMFG I CAN'T WAIT!".

borsdy

Banned
hay guyz

Did they fix the problem with stock map-only players not able to join servers with DLC in map rotation yet? I want to be able to set my map filter to Any again, so half my friend list can still join my game when I'm playing maps that came with the game!

Thanks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
borsdy said:
hay guyz

Did they fix the problem with stock map-only players not able to join servers with DLC in map rotation yet? I want to be able to set my map filter to Any again, so half my friend list can still join my game when I'm playing maps that came with the game!

Thanks.

No.

thejared

[QUOTEI tried the demo and to be honest ... I'd rather go back to Warhawk. I'll stick to Killzone2 for now.[/QUOTE]

I agree, BF1943 has made me start playing warhawk again. 1943 just seems so limiting in what you can do. Where Warhawk gives me the tools to handle any situation and play style.

Appears to me that each class in BF is really only good at one aspect of the game and when you venture out of that by lets say.. defending a base with a rifleman class, you're sure to get killed in close quarters by an engineer who infiltrated the base by hitching a ride inside a tank. i guess it also doesnt help that youre able to see your enemies through walls, mountains and behind rocks with giant orange triangles over their heads.

ive decided to just stick with the rifleman, and sometimes switch to sniper so i can sabotage the air raid abusers with dynamite. kind of boring sitting there, but watching them get tossed in the air 50 feet doing cartwheels is worth it.

icechai

TTP said:

played that with AJ & Lyulf for a few days, but squad system is 2 steps below KZ2's even. Can't see which squads are formed, can't choose to join a new squad in game, just... ughhhh. Explosions and buildings being destroyed make it pretty awesome but it just made me realize Warhawk with first person camera option would just be even better :p

And I think the new KZ2 party system works really well, since that squad patch i've always played every single mp game with a GAFer, which is a pretty amazing feat for any console game. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
thejared said:
Appears to me that each class in BF is really only good at one aspect of the game and when you venture out of that by lets say.. defending a base with a rifleman class, you're sure to get killed in close quarters by an engineer who infiltrated the base by hitching a ride inside a tank. i guess it also doesnt help that youre able to see your enemies through walls, mountains and behind rocks with giant orange triangles over their heads.

I think you should just practice a little more. Every class has its pros and cons and you need to adapt. If you are defending a flag standing under it with a rifleman (or worse, a scout), you are simply doing it wrong. The three classes are basically long, medium and short range ones, so you need to keep the right distance.

And the triangles show up behind obstacles only for around 4 second before disappearing. They stay as long you are being aimed by an enemy that has a clear view on you.

played that with AJ & Lyulf for a few days, but squad system is 2 steps below KZ2's even. Can't see which squads are formed, can't choose to join a new squad in game, just... ughhhh. Explosions and buildings being destroyed make it pretty awesome but it just made me realize Warhawk with first person camera option would just be even better :p

And I think the new KZ2 party system works really well, since that squad patch i've always played every single mp game with a GAFer, which is a pretty amazing feat for any console game. :)

Oh yeah. The squad system is kinda limited compared to Killzone 2 one, but I appreciate the fact that you can respawn near any member and u stick together from map to map like in KZ2.

I agree about Warhawk, but sadly not only it wasn't first person, but the whole on foot combat was pretty much limited and didn't require much skill. You didn't even have to follow the target yourself, but rather have the reticule lock on it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The room already comes with its own map rotation so the squad system works pretty well as you can easily spend 2-3 hours playing in one room going through all the different maps without ever having to exit and find another room through matchmaking. It would be nice to have a party system but because of the way this game is set up, the squad system works well enough to keep friends playing together, a warzone game on a single map even when it's 5 min per round will last you on average 20-30 min easy, then your whole crew will move to another map in the rotation without ever having to wait for matchmaking to find you another game on another map that people can vote to play on.

I agree that KZ2's squad system works good for the way the game is set up, but like the other guy said, I still prefer how Res2, CoD, and Halo3 handle their MP with a Party System and matchmaking.

I don't like rooms anymore. Playing countless hours on CoD4/WaW, Res2 and Halo3 has spoiled me, I guess.

enewtabie

Going back to Killzone 2 this week. I played it religously ,but with all the work /company move I haven't had time. PSNid: enewtabie

I'd really love to see some KZ2 single player content. :D

turn

Banned
Love the new update. Now if only they'd fix the part where I can't skip the opening movies.
If anyone's ever without a single person to play with and is on the verge of suicide, you could always add me: TURNTBL

pixelbox

Few things:
1.Air bots are perfect! It seems GG just reduced health while retaining a.i.
2. You guys need to enforce FF. it really helps reduce rocket/gernade spams and keeps choas and stupidity down at a minimum.
3.I've started a series of rooms called "CQC SPEEDRUN". In them are: no radar, ff, all classes and weapons with short mission times to reduce tiring and increase focus/intensity for the missions.

Keep in mind they are mostly 32p, one is 16 though. If figured i'll create these rooms to keep what GG envisioned for their game. Assult has a place in this game, keep em in! Check it out.

turn

Banned
BTW, is there any way (now or in the future; doesn't make a difference) that I can get an invite to one of the clans? I desperately need some people to play with that actually know how to play. I'd be in West, for the record. :lol

agaru

turn said:
Love the new update. Now if only they'd fix the part where I can't skip the opening movies.
Sony asked GG to make that part unskipable. You aren't forced to watch the whole intro movie though, only 2-3 seconds after Visari's face appears.

Halo started it all for console first person shooters as we know them, and until Call of Duty 4 came along, it was pretty much unopposed. One failed attempt to take the crown was the original Killzone, which received a poor response from gamers everywhere. Killzone 2 launched on the PlayStation 3 earlier this year in February and has gone up against the juggernauts of the FPS genre. We here at TheGamerAccess.com were hungry for more information on Killzone 2 and the future plans of Guerrilla Games so they were nice enough to answer many of our questions.

I would first like to introduce you to the amazing people at Guerrilla Games who took time out of their busy schedules to answer our questions:

Mathijs de Jonge - Game Director

Eric Boltjes - Lead Online Designer

Steven ter Heide - Senior Producer

Now let's get to the interview shall we?

TheGamerAccess.com: What is it like being a Sony first party studio and what other developers have you worked with?

Mathijs de Jonge: It’s great to be a first party Sony studio. The balance between creative freedom and support from their side to develop our games is spot on and works well for both of us.

TheGamerAccess.com: What media has influenced the development of the Killzone franchise?

Mathijs de Jonge: Blockbuster action and war movies mostly.

TheGamerAccess.com: What ever happened to Hakha and Lugar from the original Killzone?

Steven ter Heide: Both are around and well I believe. They were interesting characters for sure, however for Killzone 2 we wanted to introduce some new characters that brought different elements to the story.

TheGamerAccess.com: How much did you learn about the PS3 that will make future projects easier?

Mathijs de Jonge: A lot. We now have a very strong and solid engine. And equally important, our in-house tools have been further improved as well which allows our staff to worry less about how (technical) to implement something rather then what (creative) to implement.

TheGamerAccess.com: Did you have a goal for Killzone 2 and were those goals met?

Mathijs de Jonge: Yes I feel that we’ve met our goals to a large degree. Everybody has seen our 2005 trailer in which we first communicated our vision for the game. Translating this video into a playable experience with the same level of graphical detail and intensity was a challenging task, but I feel that we managed to pull this off successfully. The first time that I personally felt assured that we had something unique was during a press event in Santa Monica where I played in front of the journalists through the 2nd level. Although I had played that level many times already it still managed to suck me in and I felt a real rush that not many other games have ever managed to do.

TheGamerAccess.com: Are you happy with the current sales totals and weekly sales totals of Killzone 2?

Steven ter Heide: It’s very satisfying to see the title doing well. It’s especially great to be playing your own game online with so many other people out there. Sales figures of course are a big focus and we are happy with consumer response to the game. Most important for us though is listening to the feedback, positive or negative to help us improve the product that we make.

TheGamerAccess.com: Did Guerrilla Games see any other game or game developer/publisher as competition with the release of Killzone2?

Steven ter Heide: We were very happy with the strategic placement of our release window. Traditionally a lot of titles are released during the Christmas period, so coming out in February gave us some time to polish as well as release without that many titles around.

TheGamerAccess.com: Have and will you guys ever consider making a sequel/prequel where the player sees the war from the eyes of the Helghast?

Mathijs de Jonge: It’s certainly an interesting idea but again right now we are still in full online and DLC support for Killzone 2.

TheGamerAccess.com: Do you guys plan on developing another title for this generation? Killzone 3?

Steven ter Heide: PlayStation 3 has a very long life ahead still, and we’re certainly not done developing for this platform. We still see enough opportunities to get better and pushing the platform even further.

TheGamerAccess.com: Do you have anymore DLC planned, other than map packs, for Killzone 2?

Eric Boltjes: Actually we have been releasing DLC already. Our DLC will remain focused around Map Packs, although that doesn’t mean we’re not introducing new features. Map Pack #2 – Flash & Thunder – introduced a new Nuke mechanic to spice things up. You’ll see us building on this premise in the future.

TheGamerAccess.com: Will you guys ever add a "true" party system to Killzone 2's multiplayer?

Eric Boltjes: No, unfortunately due to the way KZ2 is setup right now, we are unable to put such a feature in.

TheGamerAccess.com: Will we ever see different online modes such as hardcore, no respawn, or even games that have rounds instead of the full warzone?

Eric Boltjes: We are currently investigating if we can put in such features in the future but no promises yet.

TheGamerAccess.com: Will there ever be dedicated rooms that will not allow players to tweak any changes, leaving the online experience to be played how you guys feel they should be, such as medleys, warzones, deathmatch-only, and other modes? Because as it stands now, it's hard to find a room that a player hasn't allowed all elements of the game to stay in. For example, a lot of games now exclude the assault class entirely.

Eric Boltjes: Part of Killzone 2’s focus points was to allow players to create their own customized games as much as possible and to a large extent I think we have succeeded. However, we are always looking at the way the community is responding to our designs and will take this type of feedback into consideration for future projects and possibly DLC. I cannot tell you specifics right now though .

TheGamerAccess.com: Do you guys plan to follow suit after other Sony first party studios by developing a new complementary IP like Naughty Dog or Insomniac have done with Uncharted and the Jack series or Resistance and Ratchet series?

Steven ter Heide: We cannot comment on future projects.

TheGamerAccess.com: Are there any studios you are looking to collaborate with?

Mathijs de Jonge: Other than the Sony studios we’re already working with, not really.

TheGamerAccess.com: What future games from other developers are you looking forward to?

Mathijs de Jonge: The one title that I’m really looking forward to is The Last Guardian from Team Ico. That game looks really inspiring and refreshing.

http://thegameraccess.com/ps3/guerilla-games-not-done-with-the-ps3

Maybe a hardcore, no respawn mode to be patched? Seems like no dedicated servers for Killzone 2, but possible for future projects, as well as party system for future projects. Overall it was a good interview. Glad to know they're happy about the sales as well, and are listening to the community, though they ain't talking about anything about future projects besides DLC :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
JardeL said:

I'll be on later tonight if you guys are still playin.
angry.gif

turn

Banned
agaru said:
Sony asked GG to make that part unskipable. You aren't forced to watch the whole intro movie though, only 2-3 seconds after Visari's face appears.
What, why? Lame ass form of advertising if you ask me. And if that's the case, at least take out the click noise you hear while pressing X. I think they just left that there to piss people off.

Cruzader

Banned
turn said:
What, why? Lame ass form of advertising if you ask me. And if that's the case, at least take out the click noise you hear while pressing X. I think they just left that there to piss people off.

Yea b/c all the other games let you skip the dev icon splash screen amirite? It was a mistake to have it be "skippable" when the game launched, and 3 secs wont kill you. Also why are you making it so obvious you dont know wtf you talking about? Form of advertising? :lol

I guess GG makes a penny every time you see their logo right?

turn

Banned
Cruzader said:
Yea b/c all the other games let you skip the dev icon splash screen amirite? It was a mistake to have it be "skippable" when the game launched, and 3 secs wont kill you. Also why are you making it so obvious you dont know wtf you talking about? Form of advertising? :lol

I guess GG makes a penny every time you see their logo right?
Advertising=/=revenue
I used that word for a lack of a better one, and either way you knew what I meant.

But that's besides the point; I was complaining because it was skippable and now it isn't.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nothing they can do about it.

How many can repeat Visari's speech?

My people, sons and daughters of Helghan. The history of these days will be written in blood. By crushing the armies *click*

Also, need 1 or 2 more people for map pack sharing. (about 2 bucks per pack). I will be buying map pack 2 and pack 3 (whenever it's out).

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
Nothing they can do about it.

How many can repeat Visari's speech?

My people, sons and daughters of Helghan. The history of these days will be written in blood. By crushing the armies *click*

Also, need 1 or 2 more people for map pack sharing. (about 2 bucks per pack). I will be buying map pack 2 and pack 3 (whenever it's out).

I'm down I just have to add funds to my paypal account

just bought killzone & joined GAF, i was wondering if GAF would show some hospitality & let me join the clan. last time i lurked, every one was on GAFe even though i'm a canadian. ( liek teh kittonz)

STEALTH EDIT: my psn id is Biggz124.

Top Bottom