• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dibbz

AranhaHunter said:
I don't think we'll have any dedicated servers on Killzone 2, maybe (hopefully) on future games, according to the interview I posted a couple of pages back. But at least they are considering adding hardcore, no respawn mode to Killzone 2. :D
Dont get the need for a hardcore mode at all. KZ2 is all about the classes and including a mode where 2 of the classes become useless (medic and tactitian) and 2 classes become stupid powerfull (scout and assault) seems so damn retarded.

GG, if there is one thing they should learn from KZ2 it is don't take what the community say to heart and change their game left and right because of them.

KZ2 is fine as is. The only changes needed are some tweeks to the lobby and player limits for maps.

A.R.K

Wollan said:
It's a fetch weapon with obvious disadvantages. Can't possibly see how someone can complain about that though surely there will be.

This is KZ2 dude, there will always be someone bitching about something :D

Dibbz

turn said:
I don't know how well the flamethrower will work in MP. I hope the find the happy medium of shield-taking-downing.
Well the flamethrower lacks range and the maps seems to have some open areas. S&D will have to be designed so well on this map. If the objectives are indoors the screw GG.

The arc tower map is the second level from the campaign. You can see the place you land in the carrier with Alpha team stright down the middle in this first pic.

3707771090_5a3af9246a_o.jpg

You can see the big sliding arc tower piece in the centre at the top in this pic, which is where the camera is looking down from in the first pic.
killzone-2-20071203082035812.jpg

Good to see that it's a level we are familiar with but in a different time setting and some expected layout changes ala Radec.

Dibbz said:
Dont get the need for a hardcore mode at all. KZ2 is all about the classes and including a mode where 2 of the classes become useless (medic and tactitian) and 2 classes become stupid powerfull (scout and assault) seems so damn retarded.
Tactician would become useless, but medic? Medic would be extremely powerful, allowing the wounded to return to action.

Dibbz said:
FFS GG they should put damn limits or have dedicated rooms with set limits on them! If only everyone could see how good the game is when your not in the middle of a 32p clusterfuck.
Lince said:
Killzone 2 played with smart tacticians, banned assault/boost, good host with minimal lag and proper maps such as Salmon is the best multiplayer fps ever.
I thought choice was a good thing? You absolutely can play this way if you want...and the people who want to play with rockets and clusterfucks can too. Why do you want to enfore your tastes on others?

And Lince, I think part of the problem is your dedication. More than 500 hours in 140 days since release means you've averaged over 3.5 hours every single day. Since I'm sure you weren't on every day, your actual playtime per day is even higher. And that doesn't even include if you were in the beta. Your experience is far from typical for a Killzone 2 user, and generalizing from it is shaky.

Dibbz

Liabe Brave said:
Tactician would become useless, but medic? Medic would be extremely powerful, allowing the wounded to return to action.
Yup you're right on the medic part, my bad. They would be really powerfull. My point still stands that taking out a class by defualt because of the way a mode is would be backwards. Funny thing is I can see GG changing their game because of people shouting a screaming about it.

Liabe Brave said:
I thought choice was a good thing? You absolutely can play this way if you want...and the people who want to play with rockets and clusterfucks can too. Why do you want to enfore your tastes on others?
The devs make the games and design them. We play the game they way they intended it to be played. Allowing us to basically make our own games within their game whilst not forcing their intended vision on us just seems so retarded. It's like GG saying oh we couldn't be bothered to design and play test MP so here are a bunch of options you can tweek and make your own games.

When you think of Killzone online you should have a pretty solid idea of how it plays. Right now there is about 20 different variations of the online mode. There is no identity for KZ2 MP.

Enough of that anyways. I love KZ2 online, got over 100 hours in it but I just wish all of the games played like the last couple of 4v4 matches I played.

JoJo13

Banned
Dibbz said:
Yup you're right on the medic part, my bad. They would be really powerfull. My point still stands that taking out a class by defualt because of the way a mode is would be backwards. Funny thing is I can see GG changing their game because of people shouting a screaming about it.

The devs make the games and design them. We play the game they way they intended it to be played. Allowing us to basically make our own games within their game whilst not forcing their intended vision on us just seems so retarded. It's like GG saying oh we couldn't be bothered to design and play test MP so here are a bunch of options you can tweek and make your own games.

When you think of Killzone online you should have a pretty solid idea of how it plays. Right now there is about 20 different variations of the online mode. There is no identity for KZ2 MP.

Enough of that anyways. I love KZ2 online, got over 100 hours in it but I just wish all of the games played like the last couple of 4v4 matches I played.

That's why the biggest fault of KZ2's mp is NOT STANDARDIZING RANKED GAMES IN ORDER TO MITIGATE THE CHAOS.

GG's intent was to 'let people chose' how to play. Well, that's all fine and dandy for casual games, but for ranked experiences? It should be tightly controlled with what the developers feel is the way the game is intended to play.

Dibbz said:
The devs make the games and design them. We play the game they way they intended it to be played. Allowing us to basically make our own games within their game whilst not forcing their intended vision on us just seems so retarded.
I actually strongly advocate definite developer vision, and really appreciate when a game doesn't feel committee-meeting bland. But I've read many comments on GAF that are exactly opposite, and feel that dev attempts to force a vision on players is what's retarded. And remember, that happened with this game, too: all that whining about how the controls were "broken" or "stupid" or "wrong". Guerrilla didn't see that coming, I'm sure, but I bet the open-ended nature of multiplayer was meant to provided a more flexible playground and avoid this type of complaint.

JoJo13 said:
GG's intent was to 'let people chose' how to play. Well, that's all fine and dandy for casual games, but for ranked experiences? It should be tightly controlled with what the developers feel is the way the game is intended to play.
I definitely agree with this in principle, but I think you're missing something here: maybe Guerrilla intended the chaos. It's pretty easy to gloss the action as "split-second intensity" and view it as a positive thing. Just because you prefer the slower, more tactical play options doesn't mean those were the core essence of their idea.

turn

Banned
I'm still so impressed with Guerrilla for changing how the revive gun looks.
What developer cares so much about their game that they alter the way something in it looks? Especially since it wasn't that big a deal, and it made no changes to gameplay.

thejared

in case im missing it, is there a way to tell if radar is on in the new lobby? is it hidden in there somewhere?

that seems to be the only thing causing me to enter and then leave a room once i realize im able to tell where everyone is at all times. why would anyone want that option on?

thejared

mr_nothin said:
Looks fun!
Seems like you can only walk when you have either gun in your hand. (which is how it should have been for the rocket launcher :/)

agreed, theres no reason why the guy with the heaviest armor and heaviest weapons should be able to run let alone run like the speedy gonzalez all over the map.

icechai

Broadbandito said:
anyone playing? Im getting on very soon

boooo none of you were on when i checked a few times around 9p-10p :(

and yeah agree about only able to walk with rocket launcher. Boost could make you sprint and the rest is walking :p

Kittonwy

Banned
icechai said:
boooo none of you were on when i checked a few times around 9p-10p :(

and yeah agree about only able to walk with rocket launcher. Boost could make you sprint and the rest is walking :p

Allow assault to run only while in boost but run disabled when boost is recharging, that would make assault more strategic and less over-powered.
Indifferent2.gif

I just got absolutely slaughtered in a 12 v 12 match. I'm not one to make accusations, but I feel like they had to be lag-switchers. I've never been embarrassed like that in this game before. It was like men and boys. Every time I turned someone was standing with a shotgun ready to blast me. Very frustrating, but a good lesson.

thejared said:
in case im missing it, is there a way to tell if radar is on in the new lobby? is it hidden in there somewhere?

that seems to be the only thing causing me to enter and then leave a room once i realize im able to tell where everyone is at all times. why would anyone want that option on?

I don't like that either, but I don't think you can tell just based on the lobby.

Lince

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
And Lince, I think part of the problem is your dedication. More than 500 hours in 140 days since release means you've averaged over 3.5 hours every single day. Since I'm sure you weren't on every day, your actual playtime per day is even higher. And that doesn't even include if you were in the beta. Your experience is far from typical for a Killzone 2 user, and generalizing from it is shaky.

well since you love your statistics... I'm almost sure I was on every day and I haven't played since I went on holidays in mid-June, so actually thats 500 hours in 110 days. I reckon I played far too much but that doesn't make my opinions or criticism 'shaky'.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
templeusox said:
I just got absolutely slaughtered in a 12 v 12 match. I'm not one to make accusations, but I feel like they had to be lag-switchers. I've never been embarrassed like that in this game before. It was like men and boys. Every time I turned someone was standing with a shotgun ready to blast me. Very frustrating, but a good lesson.

*add predictable TTP KZ2 bitching comment here*

JoJo13 said:
That's why the biggest fault of KZ2's mp is NOT STANDARDIZING RANKED GAMES IN ORDER TO MITIGATE THE CHAOS.

Ding ding ding. Totally agree.

TTP said:
*add predictable TTP KZ2 bitching comment here*
It'd be awesome if you posted like this all the time :lol

JoJo13 said:

Ahh but you see the issue here is that Guerilla intended the game to be played with 32 players on Blood Gracht, with one tiny S&D room being filled to the brim with rockets and grenades and shotguns and a whole mess of other nonsense that you find in public games. (See Guerilla's very own Clan Warfare tourny for details).

So by creating "dedicated official rooms", even the option of playing the game in its best form would be removed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Internet Celebrity said:

JoJo13 said:
It should be tightly controlled with what the developers feel is the way the game is intended to play.

*add predictable TTP comment pointing at official Corinth Crossing 32p clusterfucks tournaments here*

Lince

Banned
JoJo13 said:
for ranked experiences? It should be tightly controlled with what the developers feel is the way the game is intended to play.

well, GAFe won the official Guerrilla Games Killzone 2 clans tournament... rules were 32 players games on Corinth Crossing with friendly fire enabled and every class/weapon unlocked, it was absolutely chaotic, a lagfest slideshow clusterfucking combo. Do we have to believe that is the way the game is intended to be played? thanks God then for custom games.

edit: fucking beaten by TTP... I'm rusty, I think after one month of not touching a controller I might as well give up on videogames once & for all :lol

Facism

Internet Celebrity said:

Ahh but you see the issue here is that Guerilla intended the game to be played with 32 players on Blood Gracht, with one tiny S&D room being filled to the brim with rockets and grenades and shotguns and a whole mess of other nonsense that you find in public games. (See Guerilla's very own Clan Warfare tourny for details).

Us in GAFe won that and only took one game seriously. 32 players is just a bulletpoint, not a benefit.

agaru

TTP said:
*add predictable TTP comment pointing at official Corinth Crossing 32p clusterfucks tournaments here*
:lol

Personally, the only complaint I have about 32p clusterfucks is the framedrops. The crazy chaos in those games adds so much fun (yeah TTP I like "shitty" games :p), not to mention how challenging it is to try to stay alive in that mess while making the most kills/completing the objective at the same time. I'm all for 4v4, 6v6 no rockets and such games, but there were times when I played 32p warzones exclusively and it was absolute addiction. :D

agaru said:

Personally, the only complaint I have about 32p clusterfucks is the framedrops. The crazy chaos in those games adds so much fun (yeah TTP I like "shitty" games :p), not to mention how challenging it is to try to stay alive in that mess while making the most kills/completing the objective at the same time. I'm all for 4v4, 6v6 no rockets and such games, but there were times when I played 32p warzones exclusively and it was absolute addiction. :D
You weird.

Anyway, does anyone feel like giving me a hand with some tactics for this 2v2 tourny my clan has going on?

Here's my match from last night, it went pretty badly as you can see. We were playing against two of the best players from my clan though...

http://killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=6576268&kz_file_id=6821153
(I'm rc94 by the way.)

KZObsessed

Lince said:

oh my long lost love FFO... don't worry you give me back your love & I'll give you a new PS3

I NEVER TOOK IT AWAY ITS STILL YOURS!

Internet Celebrity said:
Nah I'm not in GAFe, my clan is VGE0 (don't know if you remember).

I'm vrc over at AVF by the way.

Oh and FFO you called me a king and bowed to me <3

I did? Awesome!

:bow Your Majesty! :bow

Thrakier said:
I WANTZ MY PS3 BACK DAMN YOU!!!!! Do something FFO!!!!

Hey hey, I'm working on it.

*steals Lince's PS3* hee hee

ViolentP

It might be that time to finally boot this one up again, buy all the map packs and get into the shit. Though I'd be lying if I didn't say I missed the old Resistance days.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FFObsessed said:
Hey hey, I'm working on it.
*steals Lince's PS3* hee hee

Hey man ,im the most useless person in the world and i could fix my PS3.
Give it a try!

KZObsessed

Really? What was wrong with it?

I might actually be able to get it fixed pretty cheap. I'm just gonna wait til August 18th see if they announce the Slim... at a good price. No more than £299 plz.

Top Bottom