• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Tendo

I haven't played since release. Finally settled in my new house and my new job so I might jump in tonight a bit. Those new maps, how are they? Easy to find maps using them? my fear is paying 12 bucks and finding few games using them.

I just tried out ArcTower. I like the map. I played as a tactician on the Helghast side. I made my way over and threw two spawn grenades outside of both exits on the ISA side. :lol My god, we destroyed the other team. They couldn't step one foot out of their base. They must have been pissed.

Maximus.

finally getting used to warzone haha wow i didnt realize there where 5 matches before you gained exp and stuff i always quit early because i thought the games went on forever. haha now i know, but overall was pretty neat.

noah111

Still Alive
H_Prestige said:
Oh man, too many 60gb ps3 owners getting killzowned. My 60gb usually gets pretty loud when playing KZ2, and it has frozen once during a match, but so far so good. I'm still getting paranoid though, maybe I should get a second ps3 just for KZ2 :lol
:(

60GB owner here with an upgraded 320GB HDD, and fuck you guys hve gotten me nervous. :s I'm about to hop onto KZ2 to try out the new maps, but I feel like I should back up my system first :lol Thing is, that takes many hours and i'll be passed out by then.

Please god let my PSthwee live!

Maximus.

for all those people who say their old ps3s get loud, how loud do they exactly get? my ps3 is absolutely silent, esp compared to my vacuum loud xbox 360.

Man, how fucking cruel. I get back from dinner, plug my PS3 back in and turn it on. It works. I move around my friends list, open a few messages. My heart's beating with hope at this point as I move to type in a new profile comment: "BACK FROM YLOD BITCH!" I'm filled with joy as I press ok, and it's "loading", and WHABAM, there it is. Triple beep, red flashing light.

F U Sony!
early adoption FTL :(

Fraull said:
for all those people who say their old ps3s get loud, how loud do they exactly get? my ps3 is absolutely silent, esp compared to my vacuum loud xbox 360.
My 60GB PS3 at full blast gets quite loud indeed, as loud as a desktop computer with fans on full. It's not quite as loud as an old 360, but may be louder than some of the newer ones. As I understand it, the 40GB and later PS3s are considerably quieter.

noah111

Still Alive
Internet Celebrity said:
Man, how fucking cruel. I get back from dinner, plug my PS3 back in and turn it on. It works. I move around my friends list, open a few messages. My heart's beating with hope at this point as I move to type in a new profile comment: "BACK FROM YLOD BITCH!" I'm filled with joy as I press ok, and it's "loading", and WHABAM, there it is. Triple beep, red flashing light.

F U Sony!
early adoption FTL :(
You went to message someone!? Back that shit up!! Is your PS3 in an open space? If not it's probably overheating or something.

Yeah, immediately afterwards I realized how stupid I was not to do that. I did retrieve my precious killzone 2 disc though <3

And yeah, it's completely in the open. I even left it in a cold room while I was out, and when I turned it on that room was pretty cool too (midnight here).

JB1981

not sure if it's my small crt or what but I think i've decided that i strongly dislike the way motion blur is used in this game. the game is so fucking blurry that it makes it hard to see. i guess its hard to explain but going from this game to other fps, it's amazing just how much CLEARER they are. I love the KZ universe, art direction, engine etc, but it think they overdid it with the blur.

JB1981 said:
not sure if it's my small crt or what but I think i've decided that i strongly dislike the way motion blur is used in this game. the game is so fucking blurry that it makes it hard to see. i guess its hard to explain but going from this game to other fps, it's amazing just how much CLEARER they are. I love the KZ universe, art direction, engine etc, but it think they overdid it with the blur.

I disagree. I'd say GG has used blur better than anyone else. The gun blur in particular is amazing.

JoJo13

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I disagree. I'd say GG has used blur better than anyone else. The gun blur in particular is amazing.

totally agree

KZ2 looks like cg

other games have a sterile 'videogamey' look to them, but KZ2 looks like fucking concept art in motion.

-viper-

Banned
JB1981 said:
it's probably your CRT. I've got an LCD and it doesn't even look that blurry.

Violater

I will say this about GG, they have a clear vision of they world they have created and for better or worst they stick to their art direction. Some of these maps are beautiful and others I cannot bear to look at for a whole match. SUljeva Cliffside is just unbearable IMO

RefigeKru

Banned
The blur is amazing.

The haze accompanying the falling embers on Salamun Market+Visari Hammer. The smears created by blowing dust on Pyrrhus Rise. The slightly out of focus backdrop on Helghan Industries. The shallow depth of field on the weapons, which expands when you crouch. The blur caused by explosions, everything it moves and creates. The train stage.

Goddamn. It should be illegal to make a game that looks this good. I love everything about the style.

Violater

RefigeKru said:
The blur is amazing.

The haze accompanying the falling embers on Salamun Market+Visari Hammer. The smears created by blowing dust on Pyrrhus Rise. The slightly out of focus backdrop on Helghan Industries. The shallow depth of field on the weapons, which expands when you crouch. The blur caused by explosions, everything it moves and creates. The train stage.

Goddamn. It should be illegal to make a game that looks this good. I love everything about the style.

Until you play the train level and it all just looks a mess

RefigeKru

Banned
Violater said:
Until you play the train level and it all just looks a mess

One of the best looking stages to me. Throwing a grenade and watching the smoke plume down the train along with bouncing sparks in the wind never gets old.

Why does it look like a mess to you?

Violater

RefigeKru said:
One of the best looking stages to me. Throwing a grenade and watching the smoke plume down the train along with bouncing sparks in the wind never gets old.

Why does it look like a mess to you?

Because everything is the same damn color, I mean come on your eyes have nothing to rest on.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
505 points :lol , but god public matches are the worst.

I think those kill 20 with special weapon trophies are going t be hard to come by, as everyone runs for the gun once the holder dies.

RefigeKru said:
The blur is amazing.

Alright GAF call it now, Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2? Which looks better. Both in motion, and at Highest resolution.

RefigeKru

Banned
Violater said:
Because everything is the same damn color, I mean come on your eyes have nothing to rest on.

Can't really say I agree really. But I love the lighting on the stage, when the train is briefly in the open and whilst in the tunnel you can spot the oncoming light.

The monotone palette isn't something that was present in all stages, and I love it. There are highlights of particular colours on that stage, at least thats how I remember it.

But hey, I was just curious. I love the train stage from Gears and Mirror's Edge too. Something about trains.

Alright GAF call it now, Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2? Which looks better. Both in motion, and at Highest resolution.

Haven't played Uncharted 2 yet. Wouldn't know.

In all honesty, playing through the campaign and all the MP I've been doing recently it'll be difficult for a game to top Killzone 2 for me. At least on consoles. But as it is. *shrug*

Violater

RefigeKru said:
Can't really say I agree really. But I love the lighting on the stage, when the train is briefly in the open and whilst in the tunnel you can spot the oncoming light.

The monotone palette isn't something that was present in all stages, and I love it. There are highlights of particular colours on that stage, at least thats how I remember it.

But hey, I was just curious. I love the train stage from Gears and Mirror's Edge too. Something about trains.

It has its good moments but overall it is too monotone

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah, nice with 2.5x multiplier today (25th of June, it is past midnight where i live now (Europe)) instead of the normal 1.5x multiplier :)

CrushDance said:
Double exp....and I can't play ;_; WRYYYYY!
Why cant you play? :\

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm on rawr rawr rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

noah111

Still Alive
Going back to this game and seeing it in motion again is just awesome, all over my face. Again.

I totally forgot how beautiful this game really looked. Also, the arc tower map is probably one of my favorite maps so far, also like using the bolt gun far more than the flamethrower..

Big B

This game is not bad! :D I've never played any FPS/TPS before except RE4 and 2 hours of Bioshock so I have no problems whatsoever with Killzone 2's controls since I don't have that shooter "twitch".

And my god it's pretty. I'm glad they didn't overdo it with the bloom lighting like other devs do sometimes (see Folklore).

Violater said:
It has its good moments but overall it is too monotone

Interesting. I liked that stage quite a bit, but I did wonder what it would be like if it was raining/daytime/etc. So I kinda see what you mean.

Violater

Boombloxer said:
Interesting. I liked that stage quite a bit, but I did wonder what it would be like if it was raining/daytime/etc. So I kinda see what you mean.

I think it would have looked better if the actual scenery and lighting on that particular level was more diverse, in concept it really is brilliant.

Kittonwy

Banned
Noob tacticians and players who fucking turtle need to gtfo, srsly. Idiots hanging around the corridors during S&D simply trying to nab kills, fucking useless piece of shit motherfuckers when other people are trying to arm the fucking charges.
Indifferent2.gif

Fraull said:

My 60GB launch PS3 is louder than my 360 and gaming PC.

Dementia

Kittonwy said:
Noob tacticians and players who fucking turtle need to gtfo, srsly. Idiots hanging around the corridors during S&D simply trying to nab kills, fucking useless piece of shit motherfuckers when other people are trying to arm the fucking charges.
Indifferent2.gif
It was a 32 player warzone match with randoms... how can you expect anything else?

Kittonwy

Banned
Dementia said:
It was a 32 player match with randoms... how can you expect anything else?

I punched dem in teh face. I wuz like "gtfo moran" *punch*.
Indifferent2.gif

I was surprised to see ASSAULT turtling with rockets in that game though, first time I've seen that in Killzone 2.

MY FUCKING GOD. I was playing 30 minute rounds on Arc Tower and my team was just about to win the round in a clean sweep when my game froze. FUCK. I just lost a least 600 points.

Edit - Son of a Bitch none of the kills or deaths saved as well. 2 hours for fucking nothing.

kuYuri

With the help of double XP, finally reached General rank. Sure was brutal, but finally got it.

Probably once I get the 50 online wins trophy, I don't see myself playing much after that.

test_account said:
Ah, nice with 2.5x multiplier today (25th of June, it is past midnight where i live now (Europe)) instead of the normal 1.5x multiplier :)

Why cant you play? :\
My TV is dead and I don't have enough money yet(probably in a month) ;_;

Oh boy... all these doomed PS3 experiences with KZ2 are worrying... Im gonna go back to KZ2 at some point to gather the remaining trophies, and I dont want this to happen to meh loveh 60GB.

Kittonwy

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
MY FUCKING GOD. I was playing 30 minute rounds on Arc Tower and my team was just about to win the round in a clean sweep when my game froze. FUCK. I just lost a least 600 points.

Edit - Son of a Bitch none of the kills or deaths saved as well. 2 hours for fucking nothing.

Sorry to hear that. Well with long games and 2.5 bonus I'm sure you can get another 600pts easy.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
BradleyUK said:
Name of room: NeoGaf
Time: 9PM UK time/ 3PM Central USA
Date: 25/7/09
Password: neo
Maps: All the new editions to killzone 2 (6 maps)

Anyone want to join then?

Wazzat in Eastern Standard Time.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom